Notices
C8 General Discussion The place to discuss the next generation of Corvette.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Not a fan of the shift buttons...and rocker extension question?

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-2022, 08:29 PM
Aceman
Burning Brakes

Received 26 Likes on 16 Posts

Default Not a fan of the shift buttons...and rocker extension question?

Maybe its me. My prior vett's were all sticks, obviously not the case with the C8. I can't stand having to look at the shifter buttons when doing tight maneuvers/k-turns/etc. Love the car (only about 150 miles on it)....but going to need to get used to having to look at the buttons every time vs. the simple feel of a center mounted/column mounted shifter.

On Rocker extensions - does anyone make a aftermarket extensions (like GM accessories) in carbon flash (I dont like the side skirts with wings)

Curious what others think on the shifter & thanks in advance!

Aceman

Old 10-31-2022, 08:36 PM
Ohioplayer1916
Racer

Received 183 Likes on 111 Posts

As far as the rockers ACS is a great place for after market products
The following users liked this post:
Noreplacement (11-01-2022)
Old 10-31-2022, 08:43 PM
stealthpilot
Pro
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 462 Likes on 233 Posts

I would have liked a manual. But in the absence of a manual transmission, I like the buttons. The levered design of the shifter buttons reminds me a bit of Lamborghini. It feels more exotic than an automatic shifter stick. Also the stick is useless in my opinion given he paddles are the best way to shift with a DCT (and I make this point as someone who prefers to drive manual). My views is sticks are for manuals, paddles are for DCTs. In a DCT a clean center console with a tastefully designed PRND setup is the way to go.
The following 3 users liked this post by stealthpilot:
DWS44 (11-01-2022), Hillslam (11-01-2022), Malfunkshun'd (11-01-2022)
Old 10-31-2022, 08:55 PM
JerryU
E-Ray, 3LZ, ZER, LIFT
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 9,646 Likes on 6,645 Posts

Originally Posted by Aceman
Maybe its me. My prior vett's were all sticks, obviously not the case with the C8. I can't stand having to look at the shifter buttons when doing tight maneuvers/k-turns/etc. Love the car (only about 150 miles on it)....but going to need to get used to having to look at the buttons every time vs. the simple feel of a center mounted/column mounted shifter.

On Rocker extensions - does anyone make a aftermarket extensions (like GM accessories) in carbon flash (I dont like the side skirts with wings)

Curious what others think on the shifter & thanks in advance!

Aceman
Since every DD in 60 years prior to the C8 was also a standard shift was not happy with the rocker shift control. But now after 26 months, it's fine!

To get over my ~60 years with every DD having a 3rd peddle drove in Manual Mode for the first month. After break-in hit the rev limiter twice when leaving a stop sign at the end of my rural road and merging into often heavy traffic on a 4 lane divided highway. Traffic is going and coming from Myrtle Beach to I95 South and certain times have to accelerate fast to merge. BUT 1st gear reaches the 35 mph rev limiter in the blink of an eye and upshift paddle out of position!

Stopped using Manual Mode and for 2 years use mostly Z Mode Power set to Track. Shifts like I was my 2014 C7 Z51 and 2017 Grand Sport. I mostly take back rural roads on the 25 miles to town. Doesn't shift past 5th (C7's seldom used past 5th) and shifts up and down at higher rpm. Don't even have to use the paddle to downshift as just apply the brake aggressively prior to making a turn and it downshifts several gears in the blink of an eye rev matching each. Love the sound. Try it!
Old 10-31-2022, 08:57 PM
Glennm27
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,409 Likes on 612 Posts
2017 C7 of the Year Finalist
St. Jude Contributor

That’s crazy, you don’t like looking at the trans switches? What a first world problem. That’s just too funny.
Old 10-31-2022, 09:03 PM
kcops
Instructor

Received 52 Likes on 32 Posts

I would love to have a real shifter rather than buttons - something like a BMW style than Porsche 911's which I'm not a fan. I'm thinking about getting a rocker extension as well - debating about carbon flash to match everything else on the car or just go carbon fiber and replace the front splitter.
Old 10-31-2022, 09:06 PM
Aceman
Burning Brakes

Received 26 Likes on 16 Posts

Kcops -

My issue is my spoiler is low profile carbon flash, so there is no carbon fiber on the exterior....i saw one vendor that takes the GM rocker extensions, sands them down, paints them, but was really hoping for something aftermarket vs. something sanded down smooth. I plan on doing the rockers then changing the splitter to carbon flash to keep everything carbon flash.

Aceman
Old 10-31-2022, 09:17 PM
stealthpilot
Pro
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by kcops
I would love to have a real shifter rather than buttons - something like a BMW style than Porsche 911's which I'm not a fan. I'm thinking about getting a rocker extension as well - debating about carbon flash to match everything else on the car or just go carbon fiber and replace the front splitter.
A real shifter is a manual. What you are talking about is just a different design of switch meant to fool people into thinking they are driving a manual.
Old 10-31-2022, 09:30 PM
BADBIRDCAGE
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,978 Likes on 1,059 Posts

Originally Posted by stealthpilot
A real shifter is a manual. What you are talking about is just a different design of switch meant to fool people into thinking they are driving a manual.
Without three pedals it’s a bit obvious you are not driving a manually shifted transmission. You are driving an automatic transmission that can be controlled manually through solenoid controlled engagement of the gears.

I drove manual transmissions for many years. In performance applications they SUCK in comparison to the DCT in the C8 Corvette. If manual transmissions were the bomb they would be used in pure performance applications. They have been replaced.

I would like to experience the 68 Hemi Roadrunner I used to pilot with a DCT. I can surmise it would be fantastic.

If your desire is to maintain the three pedal system the C8 is not for you. That’s OK.
Old 10-31-2022, 10:36 PM
Vetteman Jack
Administrator

Support Corvetteforum!

Location: In a parallel universe. Currently own 2014 Stingray Coupe.
Received 19,391 Likes on 14,024 Posts
C7 of the Year - Modified Finalist 2021
MO Events Coordinator
St. Jude Co-Organizer
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-
'20-'21-'22-'23-'24
NCM Sinkhole Donor
CI 5, 8 & 11 Veteran

If you don't like the buttons for the shifter on a C8, sorry, but your only choice is to go with another car.
stealthpilot (10-31-2022)
Old 10-31-2022, 10:41 PM
Red Mist Rulz
Race Director

Received 8,539 Likes on 4,274 Posts

It takes what, a couple of seconds to glance down and back? But once you get used to them, you can identify them by touch. Note that some are pull and some are push. You can tell them by feel once you make a little effort to learn their order.
Old 10-31-2022, 10:48 PM
REACTOR111
Instructor

Received 145 Likes on 59 Posts

Quinten Racing. Carbon flash paint on carbon fiber. No wings.
Old 10-31-2022, 10:54 PM
stealthpilot
Pro
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by BADBIRDCAGE
Without three pedals it’s a bit obvious you are not driving a manually shifted transmission. You are driving an automatic transmission that can be controlled manually through solenoid controlled engagement of the gears.

I drove manual transmissions for many years. In performance applications they SUCK in comparison to the DCT in the C8 Corvette. If manual transmissions were the bomb they would be used in pure performance applications. They have been replaced.

I would like to experience the 68 Hemi Roadrunner I used to pilot with a DCT. I can surmise it would be fantastic.

If your desire is to maintain the three pedal system the C8 is not for you. That’s OK.
I like manuals for driving experience not performance. If it were all about performance the C8 is hardly king. A 911 Turbo would crush it in any performance comparison.

that said I also enjoy a DCT with shift lights in the HUD and paddles. But the whole point of DCT is shift speed and taking your hand off the wheel to shift a lever defeats the purpose.

only an idiot would shift a car designed to change gears in 0.03 seconds by taking their hand off the wheel and using a lever when they could use the paddle with no lateral movement.
Old 11-01-2022, 12:21 AM
johnodrake

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,589 Likes on 1,626 Posts

It will take you all of 2 minutes to get used to the "shifter" switches. I don't have to search for them - it's easy. I like the switches every bit as much as the shifter on my AMG. This is Corvette #8 for me. All the previous were manual trans. I would never go back.
4thC4at60 (11-01-2022)
Old 11-01-2022, 07:20 AM
Rapid Z
Safety Car

Received 3,606 Likes on 1,498 Posts

I think the transmission switches are great and very ergonomic. Not so much for the parking brake switch location.
The following 2 users liked this post by Rapid Z:
396tears (11-02-2022), Red Mist Rulz (11-01-2022)
Old 11-01-2022, 06:03 PM
Sicky
Racer

Received 372 Likes on 187 Posts

ACS Composite side rocker extensions in Carbon Flash:

https://acscomposite.com/collections...c8-z51-rockers

Edit: hell, I'll sell you mine for $600 shipped. I've been eyeing the new Z06-style rockers from ACS.

Last edited by Sicky; 11-01-2022 at 06:14 PM.
Old 11-01-2022, 07:53 PM
TKKRCats
Racer

Received 196 Likes on 98 Posts

Originally Posted by Rapid HTC
I think the transmission switches are great and very ergonomic. Not so much for the parking brake switch location.
I think the parking brake location is a throw back to when you had to pull the parking/emergency brake lever, like back in the day.

Get notified of new replies

To Not a fan of the shift buttons...and rocker extension question?

Old 11-01-2022, 08:12 PM
Zormecteon
Drifting

Received 1,376 Likes on 674 Posts

The engineers/marketing/accountants chose not to put a lever on the console along with the paddles. I drove a couple of cars with both and very much liked the options of all three driving styles. .. full auto, manual with paddles, and manual using the console lever. Oddly enough I found that just putting my hand on that console lever made me drive the car more like a manual, than when, in the same mode, I simply used the paddles in manual mode.
Old 11-01-2022, 08:30 PM
4thC4at60
Le Mans Master

Received 2,937 Likes on 1,309 Posts

Originally Posted by johnodrake
It will take you all of 2 minutes to get used to the "shifter" switches. I don't have to search for them - it's easy. I like the switches every bit as much as the shifter on my AMG. This is Corvette #8 for me. All the previous were manual trans. I would never go back.
#8 for me too.... Like you, John, I would never go back....
Old 11-01-2022, 09:39 PM
Red Mist Rulz
Race Director

Received 8,539 Likes on 4,274 Posts

Originally Posted by TKKRCats
I think the parking brake location is a throw back to when you had to pull the parking/emergency brake lever, like back in the day.
I think someone, at the last possible moment, said "Oh, Hell, we forgot the parking brake button!" and they stuck it somewhere there was room, figuring mot people don't use it anyway.

Quick Reply: Not a fan of the shift buttons...and rocker extension question?