Notices
C8 General Discussion The place to discuss the next generation of Corvette.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

First use of PDR in (near) crash reconstruction!

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-2022, 01:50 PM
dohabandit
Melting Slicks

Received 1,469 Likes on 816 Posts

I got one way worse than this, but I can't find it at the moment. Might have actually deleted it while cleaning up temp files. If I find it I will upload it.
I was driving at night on a 4-lane divided road. I was going about 38mph and had been accelerating because I was at a light that had turned green.
Road was very wet..
A pickup truck on a side access decided to cut across all 4 lanes trying to get to a shopping center entrance on the other side of the 4-lane road.
Divided part was full of bushes, so I only saw him the split second when he popped in front of my car.
I was "concerned" because that area was a very common accident area for this exact same issue, DRUNK idiots trying to cross from one bar/restaurant over to the other side for more drinks, so I had let off the gas and was covering my brake just in case. I tell my wife and kids about covering their brakes in that area too.
Sure enough, BAM Pickup truck out of nowhere! I stood on my brakes and car went sideways anyway. I steered through it and managed to just barely miss his rear bumper by inches.

At Spring Mountain we did a little bit of wet road testing. The car works magic where it can, but on a very wet surface combined with these large tires with very little siping in them, it's a recipe for breaking loose.
I think what I learned at SM thought is even though you feel the car is breaking loose, just keep standing on the brakes and let the vehicle deal with it rather than trying to add any steering input. Your instinct is to try to steer to avoid impact, and if you feel you are going sideways to steer into it.
Old 10-25-2022, 05:34 PM
AORoads
Team Owner

Received 2,491 Likes on 1,952 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15
"In honor of jpee"

^^^ The car saved you and your training helped, too. Great combo.

Wise to teach the family. May want to spread the talk to neighbors you like. Be sad to read/hear of a great neighbor lost at that intersection, eh?

Sent you an email re recovery of deleted stuff. Hope it helps.

Last edited by AORoads; 10-25-2022 at 05:44 PM.
Old 10-25-2022, 06:12 PM
Bird67
Melting Slicks

Received 3,290 Likes on 1,504 Posts

Originally Posted by DaBlues
With no fault insurance does it even matter. If a cop were present then it appears he could ticket the turning automobile for crossing his center yellow line making the turn early and he could ticket the vette for not coming to a complete stop. This was all explained in driver's training is it time for remediation?
You do know that there are only 12 no fault-states, right? States get to make their own laws. This was all explained in social studies class in elementary school, is it time for remediation?
Old 10-25-2022, 07:12 PM
IdRatherBGolfing
Drifting

Received 930 Likes on 492 Posts
2024 Corvette of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2023 C8 of the Year Winner - Unmodified
2921 C8 of the Year 2021 Modified Finalist

Glad no one got hit/hurt. Here in Texas, no matter where the stop sign is located before/after crosswalk, you must stop prior to the crosswalk. I also leave my PDR on continuously.
Sec. 544.010. STOP SIGNS AND YIELD SIGNS. (a) Unless directed to proceed by a police officer or traffic-control signal, the operator of a vehicle or streetcar approaching an intersection with a stop sign shall stop as provided by Subsection (c).

(b) If safety requires, the operator of a vehicle approaching a yield sign shall stop as provided by Subsection (c).

(c) An operator required to stop by this section shall stop before entering the crosswalk on the near side of the intersection. In the absence of a crosswalk, the operator shall stop at a clearly marked stop line. In the absence of a stop line, the operator shall stop at the place nearest the intersecting roadway where the operator has a view of approaching traffic on the intersecting roadway.
Old 10-25-2022, 09:50 PM
Red Mist Rulz
Race Director

Received 8,641 Likes on 4,324 Posts

Not sure if it's changed, but in Maryland the law used to be to stop not where the stop sign is, but where you have a clear view of the cross traffic. And at crosswalks you had to stop if there are pedestrians present, but not otherwise. Every state is different. None of us are lawyers in the state where the OP was driving, so we're all just speculating. In most states, I believe the law requires drivers to take steps to avoid an accident regardless of who has the right of way. In this case, I think you could argue the turning car failed to do anything to avoid avoid an accident. But in states that have contributory negligence, the turning driver might claim the other driver was 50% negligent by not stopping in the proper location. And who knows what a traffic court judge might think on any given day.
Old 10-25-2022, 09:59 PM
RKCRLR
Le Mans Master

Received 6,265 Likes on 3,440 Posts

Originally Posted by Red Mist Rulz
Not sure if it's changed, but in Maryland the law used to be to stop not where the stop sign is, but where you have a clear view of the cross traffic. And at crosswalks you had to stop if there are pedestrians present, but not otherwise. Every state is different. None of us are lawyers in the state where the OP was driving, so we're all just speculating. In most states, I believe the law requires drivers to take steps to avoid an accident regardless of who has the right of way. In this case, I think you could argue the turning car failed to do anything to avoid avoid an accident. But in states that have contributory negligence, the turning driver might claim the other driver was 50% negligent by not stopping in the proper location. And who knows what a traffic court judge might think on any given day.
In California you have to stop at the limit line, which includes a crosswalk weather or not there is someone in it. And there is an "implied" crosswalk between sidewalks that cross the road where you need to stop behind the "pretend" line if not marked. But you only have to stop once.
The following users liked this post:
AORoads (10-27-2022)
Old 10-25-2022, 10:29 PM
J-Fly
Pro

Received 306 Likes on 174 Posts

Originally Posted by RKCRLR
In California you have to stop at the limit line, which includes a crosswalk weather or not there is someone in it. And there is an "implied" crosswalk between sidewalks that cross the road where you need to stop behind the "pretend" line if not marked. But you only have to stop once.
I've noticed that drivers will make sharper than needed left turns if there is no car in the lane next to it. I always follow the turning line which most streets have in California.
Old 10-26-2022, 03:54 PM
DaBlues
Banned Scam/Spammer

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Bird67
You do know that there are only 12 no fault-states, right? States get to make their own laws. This was all explained in social studies class in elementary school, is it time for remediation?
My mistake wouldn't have caused an accident yours would have. Your driving and attitude will cause an accident someday and I will bet you'll blame the other guy.

BTW, what state are you in? I might try to avoid an area where this is acceptable.
jackfrostpdx (10-26-2022)
Old 10-26-2022, 04:41 PM
Malfunkshun'd
Intermediate

Received 21 Likes on 15 Posts

We love those old lexus drivers
Old 10-26-2022, 10:08 PM
Bird67
Melting Slicks

My mistake wouldn't have caused an accident yours would have. Your driving and attitude will cause an accident someday and I will bet you'll blame the other guy.

BTW, what state are you in? I might try to avoid an area where this is acceptable.
Show us where, sir, the original post blamed the other guy. You completely missed the point of this thread, and have turned it into an opportunity to make jackass comments. Nice debut from a guy who just joined the forum this month. You'll do well here.
Old 10-26-2022, 11:31 PM
DaBlues
Banned Scam/Spammer

Show us where, sir, the original post blamed the other guy. You completely missed the point of this thread, and have turned it into an opportunity to make jackass comments. Nice debut from a guy who just joined the forum this month. You'll do well here.
You really don't see that your driving contributed to almost being hit? That's all this is about.
Old 10-27-2022, 10:07 AM
AORoads
Team Owner

St. Jude Donor '15
"In honor of jpee"

Originally Posted by Red Mist Rulz
Here's my take on it. Back in the late '90s, a friend of mine gave me advice at a redlight left turn lane. He said, leave a couple-three feet before the white line in this lane. When I asked why, he said car drivers but especially trucks of any type tend to go right for the right angle line, and sometimes they get too close. He drove this way in my area and he did this all the time in his area in SoCal. That advice applied to stop signs and intersections with no signs, too. I try to do it most of the time. And when I do, not often but often enough, one of those damned idiots crosses over into where MY car would have been IF I hadn't stayed back an added couple feet.

My friend was aggravating at times, too. I have decent reflexes but at just about every light as it turned green he'd say, get going, or, it's green. And when he drove he was the smoothest but quickest guy out of a stop light. For his cars, he wouldn't baby or wait for anything--but he would look for a potential red-light or stop sign runner prior to the light turning green. Shows what P-car racing will do---thinking ahead, being ready,--- at least it did for him.
Old 10-27-2022, 10:24 AM
RKCRLR
Le Mans Master

Received 6,265 Likes on 3,440 Posts

^^^
Year ago I was a passenger with a friend first in line in the left lane at a stop light. The light turned green and he started to go but hadn't noticed a semi on his right that had just entered the intersection going slowly making a left hand turn. I alerted him and he stopped with the front of the car a few feet over the limit line. It was obvious the trailer was going to hit him but he couldn't back up because the car behind him had pulled forward. The rear wheels of the trailer clipped him. He was found partially at fault even though he had the green light since he entered the intersection in unsafe conditions.
AORoads (10-27-2022)
Old 10-27-2022, 10:40 AM
Bird67
Melting Slicks

You really don't see that your driving contributed to almost being hit? That's all this is about.
I said "this is my first personal use of PDR to confirm what happened in traffic. Let's assume there was contact between our vehicles and fault had to be sorted based on this video. What do you think? Who would "win"? I also said "I got lucky either way."

Clearly, sir, you either have a difficult time with reading comprehension, or you have joined Corvette Forum this month with an antagonistic agenda. This is not an auspicious start for you as a new Corvette Forum member.
Old 10-27-2022, 10:45 AM
Bird67
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by RKCRLR
^^^
Year ago I was a passenger with a friend first in line in the left lane at a stop light. The light turned green and he started to go but hadn't noticed a semi on his right that had just entered the intersection going slowly making a left hand turn. I alerted him and he stopped with the front of the car a few feet over the limit line. It was obvious the trailer was going to hit him but he couldn't back up because the car behind him had pulled forward. The rear wheels of the trailer clipped him. He was found partially at fault even though he had the green light since he entered the intersection in unsafe conditions.
This makes sense to me. I think the PDR shows what you describe. The other driver cuts the corner while I appear to be in the midst of a California stop. I am glad it amounted to nothing.
RKCRLR (10-27-2022)
Old 10-27-2022, 11:05 AM
JDSKY
Melting Slicks

Received 1,232 Likes on 612 Posts

I approach every controlled intersection with caution if I am in a car that I would prefer does not get into a fender bender. Completely agree that these days you need to stop well before the intersection. Way too many congested intersections these days with drivers with bad habits.

If I had a beater or a vehicle I just did not care about then perhaps I would just roll up to the intersection and never think twice.
Old 10-27-2022, 12:05 PM
AORoads
Team Owner

St. Jude Donor '15
"In honor of jpee"

And, althio I haven't kept a count of it since that advice from my friend, there have been enuff times for me to be thankful for that advice. There's seldom a "right time" to take advice esp. when it's not happened to me. I took his advice even as, at the next intersection, he said, light's green. You forgive your friends for a lot of things, and you take their advice sometimes at odd times.

Get notified of new replies

To First use of PDR in (near) crash reconstruction!

Old 10-27-2022, 12:05 PM
DaBlues
Banned Scam/Spammer

I said "this is my first personal use of PDR to confirm what happened in traffic. Let's assume there was contact between our vehicles and fault had to be sorted based on this video. What do you think? Who would "win"? I also said "I got lucky either way."

Clearly, sir, you either have a difficult time with reading comprehension, or you have joined Corvette Forum this month with an antagonistic agenda. This is not an auspicious start for you as a new Corvette Forum member.
I originally joined CF to gain insight into the owners' C8 experience but quickly realized that it is better suited for coming to understand the Corvette owner.

Tell me, do you feel the other driver's actions were intentional or did he not see you approaching? It looked to me as if he intentionally cut you off.
Old 10-27-2022, 12:14 PM
AORoads
Team Owner

St. Jude Donor '15
"In honor of jpee"

You didn't ask me, but I don't think it was intentional. Most people have a style or way of driving. Changing that takes a lot. I can tell (and I believe most others can as well) when someone is TRYING to do something intentional. I've especially seen it on interstates where someone gets really ticked off at some other driver.
Old 10-27-2022, 01:42 PM
BKNIMKR
Safety Car

Location: Chino Hills, Ca. You are completely safe with me, I'm a good screamer.
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Did you get a fresh pair of pants at L.L. Bean?
very convenient location

Quick Reply: First use of PDR in (near) crash reconstruction!