Notices
C8 General Discussion The place to discuss the next generation of Corvette.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Heads up - Beware of the "Smart Driver" feature of OnStar

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-2022, 05:41 AM
AF330i
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 50 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by joemessman
Sorry if this has been discussed, but C8 owners should know about this post on another forum. Your driving habits can be tracked!
thanks for posting this, I had no idea I was enrolled on my 2023 Coupe.
The following users liked this post:
joemessman (10-22-2022)
Old 10-22-2022, 08:10 AM
Blackwater0323
Racer

Received 231 Likes on 159 Posts
Default C7s are also linked

My C7 was linked until 2029. I called to cancel the link to my car and the guy's head exploded when I told him I do not want to share information to anyone. Finally put someone on the phone who knew exactly what I was talking about. She disconnected the account. So I don't get the monthly tire pressure or oil life report. It's all on the dash of the car.
Old 10-22-2022, 09:03 AM
HOTXFIL
Racer

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Kenny94945
Privacy is lost.
Love your phone (love on-star), don't you LOL.
I could imagine the speculative analysis of all our CF postings.

FWIW The only benefit of OS I personally thought was the ability to have them unlock Vette doors.
Perhaps stolen car tracking would be valuable too.
Oh well, informative link from the OP.
The only benefit of OS is the presence of a second constant power fuse (in addition to the lighter) in the footwell fuse box!
Old 10-23-2022, 12:08 PM
22c8z51
Pro

Received 383 Likes on 196 Posts

Originally Posted by JDSC8VETTE
and canceled my FREE Chevy access account on both my C8 and my Traverse. When they asked me why I wanted to cancel I told them I didn't want smart driver
If you open the app now, does it no longer have your trip info for drives after you canceled? Or is the feature just unavailable now? Makes me wonder if they just hide it from you. I'd want to see some proof they are no longer collecting the data from the black box every drive.
Old 10-23-2022, 01:00 PM
Andybump
Le Mans Master

Received 3,807 Likes on 2,261 Posts

Originally Posted by 21c8
If you open the app now, does it no longer have your trip info for drives after you canceled? Or is the feature just unavailable now? Makes me wonder if they just hide it from you. I'd want to see some proof they are no longer collecting the data from the black box every drive.
Easy to prove they are collecting it. More difficult to prove they are not collecting it.
cmashark (12-11-2022)
Old 10-25-2022, 01:22 PM
ZMMMMM
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 160 Likes on 96 Posts

Huh. I do have State Farm's "Drive Safe and Save" program, which currently saves me $50/year. Alledeledegedelly, it only uses the odometer reading.

Below is what is on onstar's website (pertaining to "Smart Driver")...

Old 10-25-2022, 10:07 PM
direct007
Melting Slicks

Received 2,009 Likes on 1,026 Posts

Originally Posted by Red Mist Rulz
I think you really ought to go read the thread on the other forum, where the person actually posted part of his credit report showing the data. But I guess it's easier to keep posting from a position of ignorance than to try to find out the facts.
I stand by my original post. LexisNexis isn't a credit reporting agency in the same respect as Equifax, Experian and TransUnion. LexisNexis is a data aggregator providing public record information, address verification, bankruptcy info, lien info and various information including information for the insurance industry. So I'll take your condescending response with a grain of salt.

I ordered my LexisNexis report and if my driving habits from my car are being reported, I too will opt out of the app and most likely freeze my LexisNexis report as I do with my credit bureau reports. However, my driving information supplied by my car is not being reported on my credit reports.
Old 10-25-2022, 10:15 PM
bhvrdr
Safety Car

Received 2,351 Likes on 1,214 Posts

Originally Posted by direct007
I stand by my original post. LexisNexis isn't a credit reporting agency in the same respect as Equifax, Experian and TransUnion. LexisNexis is a data aggregator providing public record information, address verification, bankruptcy info, lien info and various information including information for the insurance industry. So I'll take your condescending response with a grain of salt.

I ordered my LexisNexis report and if my driving habits from my car are being reported, I too will opt out of the app and most likely freeze my LexisNexis report as I do with my credit bureau reports. However, my driving information supplied by my car is not being reported on my credit reports.
Your original post stated people were giving misinformation and you didn't believe your insurance company had access to this information reported by gm. If its on your lexisnexis report like its on the original posters than thats unfortunately very wrong
Old 10-25-2022, 10:51 PM
direct007
Melting Slicks

Received 2,009 Likes on 1,026 Posts

Originally Posted by bhvrdr
Your original post stated people were giving misinformation and you didn't believe your insurance company had access to this information reported by gm. If its on your lexisnexis report like its on the original posters than thats unfortunately very wrong
I will report back once I receive my LexisNexis report. Thank you.
Old 10-25-2022, 10:58 PM
bhvrdr
Safety Car

Originally Posted by direct007
I will report back once I receive my LexisNexis report. Thank you.
I ordered mine too.
Old 10-26-2022, 07:28 AM
jwt1603
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 196 Likes on 132 Posts

The insurance companies and financial institutions do use it. I looked around on their site and they admit that it is their reason for existence. Here's the simplest explanation direct from them.

https://risk.lexisnexis.com/about-us...ehicle-history
Old 10-29-2022, 09:16 PM
lavla
Drifting

Received 388 Likes on 180 Posts

I just received my LEXIS/NEXIS report. The report was 150 pages long. The only information pertaining to vehicles were the auto loans that I've had over the past 30 years along with the reports on my C8 driving (37 pages). It outlined how I drove my car from 08/25/2021 to 10/21/2022 (9,300 miles). The report displayed my "hard braking events" numbers along with "acceleration events" and "high speed events" numbers. Incredible stuff. Also, I called GM and had them terminate the ONSTAR monitoring of my account. Very scary stuff. I'm going to my dealer next week to let them know of the monitoring of my ONSTAR. I'm sure that they don't even know that this is happening.

Last edited by lavla; 10-30-2022 at 05:29 AM.
The following 2 users liked this post by lavla:
cmashark (12-11-2022), Michael A (12-11-2022)
Old 10-29-2022, 09:34 PM
bhvrdr
Safety Car

Ive talked with a class action firm and they're interested in potentially pursuing something. Im waiting to get my report to be a member of it. This is potentially millions of customers

The following 4 users liked this post by bhvrdr:
cmashark (12-11-2022), lavla (10-30-2022), mefly2 (12-08-2022), Michael A (12-11-2022)
Old 12-08-2022, 02:50 PM
Maxie2U
Le Mans Master

Received 4,208 Likes on 2,265 Posts

Thanks to Joe for the important alert regarding Chevrolet Connected Access which includes Chevrolet Smart Driver..I.e, Driving habits!

I just cancelled Chevrolet Connected Access which stops Smart Driver from tracking my driving habits. BTW, I confirmed with OnStar tech support you can’t cancel Smart Driver by itself you must cancel Connected Access in order to have smart driver disabled.

The OnStar rep was perplexed why I would cancel a free service until I minded him it’s a Corvette and would he want anyone to know how hard/fast he drove it!

As far as losing the monthly Vehicle Diagnostics report and Maintenance Notification I get that information directly from the C8 so it’s no loss.
Old 12-08-2022, 02:53 PM
joemessman
Le Mans Master

Received 3,446 Likes on 2,063 Posts

Originally Posted by Maxie2U
Thanks to Joe for the important alert regarding Chevrolet Connected Access which includes Chevrolet Smart Driver..I.e, Driving habits!

I just cancelled Chevrolet Connected Access which stops Smart Driver from tracking my driving habits. BTW, I confirmed with OnStar tech support you can’t cancel Smart Driver by itself you must cancel Connected Access in order to have smart driver disabled.

The OnStar rep was perplexed why I would cancel a free service until I minded him it’s a Corvette and would he want anyone to know how hard/fast he drove it!

As far as losing the monthly Vehicle Diagnostics report and Dealer Maintenance Notification I get that information directly from the C8 so it’s no loss.
How you liking that C8? What is the most significant difference in comparison to your C7? Thanks.
Old 12-08-2022, 03:57 PM
cryptonic
Burning Brakes

Received 454 Likes on 200 Posts

All this info gathered from a medley of sources can be used against any of us and this includes all the answers you give in your doctors office regarding guns in your home etc.
Amazing how naive some people are about all this stuff.
Old 12-08-2022, 04:55 PM
mefly2
Drifting

Received 333 Likes on 198 Posts

The only issue with this "smart driver" business is insurance companies and credit bureaus can access the information. And some folks with new C8s that have the mandatory OnStar service are some how opted in and enrolled in the "smart driver" option without their knowledge. They have to open the Chevy app or OnStar app and "Unenroll". You do that by opening the MyChevy app and clicking the three dot menu to see if you are enrolled or not.
Here is a typical complaint of the C8 owners:

"I never activated OnStar last year when I picked up the car.
The OnStar app continues to run in the background, no matter how many times you kill it.
The only way to possibly stop is to remove location permission for this app and uneroll from Smart Driver, which I never signed up for in the first place!"

Don't kid yourselves. Insurance companies can request driver information from this program even if you have not given them permission. Based on "probable cause". And that is broad broad range category. And I'm not paranoid.
Not seeing an option to disenroll ... help please... do I understand correctly that onstar must be "deleted" or somehow disabled?
Awesome invasion of privacy ... I watched the timelines before delivery by using locate vehicle and the math was simple to calculate avg speed.
Hard braking
Hard acceleration
Late night driving
Distances
Speed / over 80 mph ...

All your business / not someone else's !

Last edited by mefly2; 12-08-2022 at 05:01 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To Heads up - Beware of the "Smart Driver" feature of OnStar

Old 12-08-2022, 05:00 PM
COSkier
Instructor

Received 79 Likes on 45 Posts

Originally Posted by lavla
If I'm stopped for going over the speed limit by law enforcement, I'll accept the consequences. Do I really need the company who manufactured my car to let me know how many times I've gone over 80 MPH? (See post #10 by bhvrdr above). They haven't weaponized the information so far but how long do you think it's going to take for some authority to be looking "over our shoulders" every time we drive our cars? We're pretty far down the road already.
It's not weaponizing of data, it's the sale of it. This will be an even bigger thing as more vehicles go electric and there are less things to break/ replace on a regular basis. Revenue has to come from somewhere, and selling data is the future of it all. Google already sells pretty much every piece of data it can glean from those of you on Android devices. I'm sure Apple does the same. Car companies aren't any different.
Old 12-08-2022, 07:56 PM
Maxie2U
Le Mans Master

Received 4,208 Likes on 2,265 Posts

How you liking that C8? What is the most significant difference in comparison to your C7? Thanks.
I absolutely love my C8. IMO, every aspect of the C8 is significantly better. The exterior design truly is supercar(ish) and the design lines far exceed the C7. The interior is absolutely stunning and truly feels like you’re seating in a supercar. From the seat design and it’s hug your body design, the brightly (and uniquely) designed dash along with the instrumentation makes it feel like a $150K car at a fraction of the price not to mention being a rear engine car that lets even a novice to put the power down without fear of the rear end breaking lose. The handling, the corner and acceleration is far superior to my C7.

I thought I would miss the beauty of the classic design of the long Corvette hood but that quickly went away the moment I drove my C8 to see the road just beyond the bottom of the windshield was a game changer for me and when you turn hard in it’s like your on a turntable the CG is truly amazing.

And there is something special about staring at the engine in the rear of the car.
joemessman (12-09-2022)
Old 12-09-2022, 08:45 AM
joemessman
Le Mans Master

Received 3,446 Likes on 2,063 Posts

Originally Posted by Maxie2U
I absolutely love my C8. IMO, every aspect of the C8 is significantly better. The exterior design truly is supercar(ish) and the design lines far exceed the C7. The interior is absolutely stunning and truly feels like you’re seating in a supercar. From the seat design and it’s hug your body design, the brightly (and uniquely) designed dash along with the instrumentation makes it feel like a $150K car at a fraction of the price not to mention being a rear engine car that lets even a novice to put the power down without fear of the rear end breaking lose. The handling, the corner and acceleration is far superior to my C7.

I thought I would miss the beauty of the classic design of the long Corvette hood but that quickly went away the moment I drove my C8 to see the road just beyond the bottom of the windshield was a game changer for me and when you turn hard in it’s like your on a turntable the CG is truly amazing.

And there is something special about staring at the engine in the rear of the car.
Unfortunately I was on the Z06 C8 waiting list, but it appears I'll be 100 years old before I would get one! Glad you like it. I could get on the list for a C8 Stingray, but that is a long wait too.
Maxie2U (12-09-2022)

Quick Reply: Heads up - Beware of the "Smart Driver" feature of OnStar