Notices
C8 General Discussion The place to discuss the next generation of Corvette.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New OTA Update N22-2379480

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-2022, 12:37 PM
GasmanZR1
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts

I just did mine. Failed the first time, successful the second time...only took 5 minutes or so.
Old 10-05-2022, 12:43 PM
Rapid Z
Safety Car

Received 3,603 Likes on 1,496 Posts

Hmmm maybe I’ll pull my car out tonight to see if anything shows up.
Old 10-05-2022, 12:53 PM
javenius
Racer

Received 152 Likes on 100 Posts

Did mine this morning. 5 minutes. Successful install.
Old 10-05-2022, 01:45 PM
pageda
Racer

Received 193 Likes on 107 Posts

I just updated OTA the first time today on my 22, all went well. I would like to know what it was supposed to fix?
Old 10-05-2022, 02:16 PM
BigVette427
Drifting

Received 405 Likes on 253 Posts

Are there any notes about this release as to what it contains? Is it for a certain MY/VIN range? My vehicle was just built 9/14 so I don't expect any updates at this point. Looks like I'm on W46E-V164.3.1-MIHS21B-127 and it's dated March 10, 2022.

Last edited by BigVette427; 10-05-2022 at 02:38 PM.
Old 10-05-2022, 02:56 PM
jay21
Advanced

Received 63 Likes on 29 Posts

I got the one last night, my first. Vehicle is a 2'2 HTC March build.
Old 10-05-2022, 03:03 PM
C21ban
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 704 Likes on 369 Posts
2022 C8 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified

Just did mine. No issues and took less than 5 minutes
Old 10-05-2022, 03:06 PM
Foosh
Team Owner

Received 16,669 Likes on 8,312 Posts

Originally Posted by Korbek
I dont see anywhere in my manual that states or eludes to any part of the warranty being void if you refuse OTA updates.

Unless you just mean fixing the "bricked cars" issue with OTA updates might save them hassle. I havent accepted a single OTA update in 10 months and I dont plan on starting. I'm hoping my small town dealer will do routine maintenance and NOT install any updates at my request. If it aint broke, dont fix it, and my 2022 aint broke.
@Korbek Nothing I said implied that there are any warranty implications for refusing OTA updates. I very clearly said, the update narrative implies that if you don't do the subject OTA update here, you will no longer receive future OTA updates. I said nothing about warranty implications.

I'm speculating that the update may address software glitches that have caused updates to fail and run batteries all the way down causing flatbed rides to dealers at GM's expense. Thus, the logic of no longer receiving OTA updates if you don't do this particular one. I'm also certain that any owner has the option of taking their cars to dealers for "plugged-in" updates.

Last edited by Foosh; 10-05-2022 at 03:15 PM.
Old 10-05-2022, 05:29 PM
got2bblu
Drifting

Received 240 Likes on 96 Posts

I got the same update yesterday for my 2022 Buick Envision. So it might not be anything specific to the Corvette.

Old 10-05-2022, 10:27 PM
Melvinne
Instructor

Received 207 Likes on 92 Posts

Originally Posted by got2bblu
I got the same update yesterday for my 2022 Buick Envision. So it might not be anything specific to the Corvette.
So it might just be an update to the updater, refresh authentication certificates, hosts, security patches, who knows.
Old 10-07-2022, 01:45 PM
Zazaboo
Intermediate

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Dead battery after updating with errors!

Originally Posted by Amoreloba
word of the wise, if you have a battery tender plug your car in tonight. The first update I got failed, no harm no foul I’ll do it later. Tried later the next day and the car battery was dead. I’m guessing something keeps running in the background after a failed update and in my case it killed my battery.
I did the update two days ago and it apparently it failed because when I finally was able to get into the car, had to use the manual key, I tried to start it and was getting 5 different errors from update failed, hot transmission, braking system failure, etc. I tried to get it started but the battery finally died and the car was totally immobilized. Did you know that the glove box won't open if the battery is dead?? I googled how to open the frunk, there is a cable down near the steering column that you can pull to open it, Tried the batter tender but that did not work. Called AAA and they were able to jump it as I didn't have a way to jump it myself. Have a jump starter arriving tomorrow! After the jump it started up and seems to be fine except it keeps asking me to open and close the driver/passenger window?? I find it hard to believe that this occurred. Totally blows my mind. I did call the dealer and talked to the service department and they asked if the car was in the garage at the time. It was! Said it has to be outside. Would be nice with all of the things that pop up in the screen if they told you that. I did the previous update while in the garage and it worked fine. I can understand why it may need to be outside but never a message of any kind saying that's what needs to be done.
Old 10-07-2022, 01:55 PM
16falcon
Drifting

Received 1,168 Likes on 624 Posts
St. Jude Donor '21

I don’t think it has to be outside to APPLY an update. It has to be outside to RECEIVE an update. Once the update has been received and you are prompted to shut down the car and apply the update, it shouldn’t matter if it is outside. It is likely that it would not be outside, but in your garage at home.
The following 2 users liked this post by 16falcon:
Foosh (10-07-2022), RKCRLR (10-07-2022)
Old 10-07-2022, 02:06 PM
RKCRLR
Le Mans Master

Received 6,190 Likes on 3,396 Posts

Originally Posted by Zazaboo
I did the update two days ago and it apparently it failed because when I finally was able to get into the car, had to use the manual key, I tried to start it and was getting 5 different errors from update failed, hot transmission, braking system failure, etc. I tried to get it started but the battery finally died and the car was totally immobilized. Did you know that the glove box won't open if the battery is dead?? I googled how to open the frunk, there is a cable down near the steering column that you can pull to open it, Tried the batter tender but that did not work. Called AAA and they were able to jump it as I didn't have a way to jump it myself. Have a jump starter arriving tomorrow! After the jump it started up and seems to be fine except it keeps asking me to open and close the driver/passenger window?? I find it hard to believe that this occurred. Totally blows my mind. I did call the dealer and talked to the service department and they asked if the car was in the garage at the time. It was! Said it has to be outside. Would be nice with all of the things that pop up in the screen if they told you that. I did the previous update while in the garage and it worked fine. I can understand why it may need to be outside but never a message of any kind saying that's what needs to be done.
The windows need to be re-indexed after a power loss, just follow the instructions.
The following users liked this post:
thebroz1138 (10-07-2022)
Old 10-07-2022, 03:16 PM
Foosh
Team Owner

Originally Posted by 16falcon
I don’t think it has to be outside to APPLY an update. It has to be outside to RECEIVE an update. Once the update has been received and you are prompted to shut down the car and apply the update, it shouldn’t matter if it is outside. It is likely that it would not be outside, but in your garage at home.
I never got the pop-up notification, but just went to check for updates, and it was there. I left it inside our metal barn, selected update, it went to the verification step, then I got a red X with an update failed message. That message cleared, and I received another message try again the next time your vehicle is placed in park. I started the car and pulled it outside, put it in park, and engaged the e-brake. Went back to the update page, where it prompted me to update again, went through the same procedure outside, and it updated successfully in less than 5-minutes.

This is the 2nd update I've done since taking delivery on 3/22/22. The first one went without a hitch, and the car was also outside. I don't know whether this makes the case for whether it should be in- or outside, but that's what happened. The update may have failed the first time for some other unknown reason.

I agree with your rationale that if the update is already loaded in the car, there should be no reason I can think of why it would need to be outside. I sure hope the update did something to "unglitch" what appears to be a very glitchy system.
16falcon (10-08-2022)
Old 10-07-2022, 04:03 PM
BigVette427
Drifting

Received 405 Likes on 253 Posts

It shouldn't matter if your car is outside or not if you're inside your garage and otherwise connected via WiFi to your home's high-speed internet. My experience with vehicle software updates is to run the motor as some even when on a battery tender, will shut down the system after a certain period of time. If you're parked, connected to a good internet source via WiFi, and have your motor running, you should be good. I wouldn't suggest applying any update unless I was in park and the motor was running.
Old 10-07-2022, 04:12 PM
Foosh
Team Owner

I was outside and not connected to Wi-Fi on either successful update. I think it may have something to do with whether the engine is running or not when you initiate the update sequence, and when it's ready to begin the update, it instructs you to shut the car down. The failure today was with the car inside, and in accessory/service mode, and not Wi-Fi connected.

However, I have no clue what's going on with this glitchy system because there appear to be too many variables to isolate from the various case studies of failure.
Old 10-07-2022, 07:25 PM
thebroz1138
Instructor

Received 175 Likes on 57 Posts

My 2022 HTC 2LT had been on the tender for a few days before I heard about the update.
I went into settings and found the update, ready to install.
Clicked Install, but was told the car must be off (which must include Accessory mode because the car wasn't running).
I rolled down the driver's window, got out of the car, reached thru the open window to turn off accessory mode, and then hit the Install button on the screen.
5 minutes or so later, the update installed without a hitch.
the car starts and runs fine. No issues.

I find it kinda interesting that the notice says "critical update."

Get notified of new replies

To New OTA Update N22-2379480

Old 10-07-2022, 09:06 PM
Korbek
Melting Slicks

Received 2,028 Likes on 835 Posts

Originally Posted by Foosh
@Korbek Nothing I said implied that there are any warranty implications for refusing OTA updates. I very clearly said, the update narrative implies that if you don't do the subject OTA update here, you will no longer receive future OTA updates. I said nothing about warranty implications.

I'm speculating that the update may address software glitches that have caused updates to fail and run batteries all the way down causing flatbed rides to dealers at GM's expense. Thus, the logic of no longer receiving OTA updates if you don't do this particular one. I'm also certain that any owner has the option of taking their cars to dealers for "plugged-in" updates.
Ok, thats why I worded my post the way I did. Wasnt quite sure what you meant, now I am.

Personally I will refuse this one if I ever get a prompt, and fully intend to decline manual updates at my dealer during service trips if at all possible. Of course I already asked onstar to remotely disconnect me from all vehicle status updates, service alerts, etc etc. So if the OTA updates somehow tie in to onstar I might not even get the alert to install. Will have to see what happens my next few outings. Honestly wish I could remove the cell card from the car but with the global B architecture or whatever it is, doing so would probably brick it.

My car runs flawlessly. I do not need ANY electronic gremlins introduced with these nonsense updates. Similar to cell phones that, as if by magic, suddenly start draining their battery faster after mandatory tmobile/verizon/at&t "updates".

If it works outta the box, I prefer to keep it that way.
Old 10-08-2022, 12:54 AM
Sunset Orng 05
Pro

Received 28 Likes on 23 Posts

Default 2023?

Anyone with a 23 get this update? I’ve seen no indication at all that my car was updated. I took my car into the dealer on the 5th to have stripes put on and picked it up late on the 6th. I checked to see if an update was pending and could be updated manually but it showed none. Is there a way to see which, if any, updates have been loaded?
Old 10-08-2022, 02:45 AM
blackmagicZ
Melting Slicks

Received 400 Likes on 241 Posts

I did the update too, but noticed the next time I drove the car, all the places I had set for the front lift were gone. I guess no big deal, I just re-entered those places as I came across them again.
JimB. (10-08-2022)

Quick Reply: New OTA Update N22-2379480