Notices
C8 General Discussion The place to discuss the next generation of Corvette.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cat Delete Pipe vs Cat Back Exhaust

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-2022, 10:49 AM
C7Me
Burning Brakes

Received 492 Likes on 264 Posts
St. Jude Donor '19
Default Cat Delete Pipe vs Cat Back Exhaust

Just curious what others think about these 2 choices, pros and cons. Everything I have read about the cat delete pipes has been very positive, the only negative is some minor fuel smell at times. For about 4-$500, (yes, there are more expensive ones, but why spend more for basically the same 2 pieces of pipe) you gain at least 25 HP and get the sound of an aftermarket exhaust. Really no negatives on cat back exhausts either, but at 2-3x the price is it worth it for a little more HP? My thought is that people go aftermarket exhaust mostly because of the better sound, which is also is accomplished with the cat delete pipes.

Also, how difficult would it be to install the cat delete pipes? Do you need to remove the bumper? Thanks.

Last edited by C7Me; 10-01-2022 at 10:55 AM.
Old 10-01-2022, 10:59 AM
tsigwing
Burning Brakes

Received 973 Likes on 418 Posts

If you do anything with the cats, do hi-flow cats. Cat delete will most likely through codes. Check out 2m fabrication.
Old 10-01-2022, 11:00 AM
johnodrake

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,588 Likes on 1,626 Posts

I always caution this. Removing the Cats or otherwise messing with the emissions systems is a Federal Crime. If you live in a state where they do emissions testing or other inspections, you may well fail.
The following 2 users liked this post by johnodrake:
Fast Dawg (10-02-2022), Red Mist Rulz (10-02-2022)
Old 10-01-2022, 01:40 PM
JMvette81
Racer

Received 113 Likes on 80 Posts

Originally Posted by johnodrake
I always caution this. Removing the Cats or otherwise messing with the emissions systems is a Federal Crime. If you live in a state where they do emissions testing or other inspections, you may well fail.
You will definitely fail emissions if you do cat delete.
Old 10-01-2022, 03:28 PM
jim copland
Instructor

Received 49 Likes on 27 Posts

You think if f high flow cats would provide a legal exhaust and provide a significant power gain GM would offer that as an option. I think they have an arrangement with BORLA that is very spendy (I think it must be GM installed) and I believe it offers a power gain. Maybe someone can correct me or add to this info. As far as the loud factor goes I admit I do look when I hear it but for me I got over that a long time ago. I will be checking out the turbo and supercharging systems that are being developed.
Old 10-01-2022, 03:48 PM
C7Me
Burning Brakes

St. Jude Donor '19

Originally Posted by JMvette81
You will definitely fail emissions if you do cat delete.
Is this true?? I added the Borla off-road x-pipe which is basically the same thing, passed emissions and it didn’t throw any codes. It has the O2 spacers. Why would this be different?
Old 10-01-2022, 03:56 PM
papillion
Safety Car

Received 2,378 Likes on 1,167 Posts

Default Roll The Dice

Void your warranty, fail emissions, ruin your resale, fry your engine. Do these seem like risks worth taking to gain 25 hp?
The following users liked this post:
Fast Dawg (10-02-2022)
Old 10-01-2022, 08:53 PM
combatninja
Drifting

Received 2,019 Likes on 860 Posts

Have you smelled a modern car with cat deletes? You are absolutely going to fail smog if your state/city/county/whatever requires it to register the car.
Old 10-02-2022, 10:02 AM
JMvette81
Racer

Originally Posted by C7Me
Is this true?? I added the Borla off-road x-pipe which is basically the same thing, passed emissions and it didn’t throw any codes. It has the O2 spacers. Why would this be different?
You’re right it’s no different
Old 10-02-2022, 10:37 AM
johnodrake

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,588 Likes on 1,626 Posts

Some states do a visual and the inspectors know what to look for. That is why you may fail.
Old 10-02-2022, 11:14 AM
BLUEPSTU
Racer

Received 151 Likes on 89 Posts

Ditto to what others have said about the smell. Plus these hp gains are HIGHLY exaggerated.
The following 2 users liked this post by BLUEPSTU:
Fast Dawg (10-02-2022), Undy (10-03-2022)
Old 10-02-2022, 11:47 AM
Scream And Fly
Drifting

Received 20 Likes on 8 Posts

Removing the cats will also increase black residue from unburnt gasses to form around your exhaust pipes and on the car. No big deal if you clean it often but honestly, high-flow cats are the way to go these days. Why risk added headaches in the future? Any horsepower gains or losses between using high-flow cats or straight pipes won’t matter and will largely be exaggerated and imagined. Just get high-flow cats.
Old 10-02-2022, 11:50 AM
peter pan
Life Time NCM #2196

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,099 Likes on 810 Posts

A vote for a Catback like the aFe that keeps the Z51 valves
Old 10-02-2022, 03:56 PM
Red Mist Rulz
Race Director

Received 8,517 Likes on 4,265 Posts

Originally Posted by jim copland
You think if f high flow cats would provide a legal exhaust and provide a significant power gain GM would offer that as an option. I think they have an arrangement with BORLA that is very spendy (I think it must be GM installed) and I believe it offers a power gain. Maybe someone can correct me or add to this info. As far as the loud factor goes I admit I do look when I hear it but for me I got over that a long time ago. I will be checking out the turbo and supercharging systems that are being developed.
The GM Borla pipe costs about the same as the Borla S type plus aftermarket installation. Borla in general is spendy, but first rate materials and warranty. Any power gain is going to be minimal unless you can improve airflow in as well as out. The GM Borla is also only a bit louder than the factory NPP in track. The Borla S type is louder in Tour mode than the NPP in track.
Old 10-02-2022, 03:58 PM
Red Mist Rulz
Race Director

I assume you're talking about the C7. Two differences: the C7 has 4 cats, and the x-pipe only removes the two smaller ones, leaving the main ones. The the C7 only monitors the main cats, so the OBDC system doesn't know the other two are gone. The C8 only has two cats, and they are monitored.

Originally Posted by JMvette81
You’re right it’s no different
​​​​​​​Wrong. See above.
Old 10-02-2022, 05:24 PM
JMvette81
Racer

Originally Posted by DSOMrulz
I assume you're talking about the C7. Two differences: the C7 has 4 cats, and the x-pipe only removes the two smaller ones, leaving the main ones. The the C7 only monitors the main cats, so the OBDC system doesn't know the other two are gone. The C8 only has two cats, and they are monitored.

Wrong. See above.

I was being sarcastic
Old 10-02-2022, 06:36 PM
BlindSpot
Le Mans Master

Received 1,368 Likes on 907 Posts

Originally Posted by Scream And Fly
Removing the cats will also increase black residue from unburnt gasses to form around your exhaust pipes and on the car. No big deal if you clean it often but honestly, high-flow cats are the way to go these days. Why risk added headaches in the future? Any horsepower gains or losses between using high-flow cats or straight pipes won’t matter and will largely be exaggerated and imagined. Just get high-flow cats.
Agree

One of the misconceptions of the decade - catless will produce big HP. On an N/A engine like this 5 hp if you're lucky. I have been working on a popular 4.0L bi turbo platform for the last couple of years. Catless pipes are the rage because misleading marketing has these guys thinking they're going to make big HP gains when in reality, even on the FI platform 8 hp, maybe, eliminating CATS.

CATS engineering has come a very long way since they were first introduced on ICE engines. Very much not worth the cost to eliminate them, then in some states (CA) they will catch it in an emissions inspection. With a new car you might have a couple of years, then be scrambling to get CATS put back in in CA and soon to be other states too.

Get notified of new replies

To Cat Delete Pipe vs Cat Back Exhaust

Old 10-03-2022, 04:39 PM
C7Me
Burning Brakes

St. Jude Donor '19

Originally Posted by papillion
Void your warranty, fail emissions, ruin your resale, fry your engine. Do these seem like risks worth taking to gain 25 hp?
According to the manufacturers of these pipes, you are wrong on all accounts, except maybe the emissions, but that varies by state. Any added HP is just a bonus, so that is very low on the list. I'm looking for a better sound like everyone else and don't want to spend 3-$5k on a cat back system. Performance to $ doesn't add up for me. Thanks everyone for the replies.
Old 10-03-2022, 05:51 PM
Red Mist Rulz
Race Director

According to the manufacturers of these pipes, you are wrong on all accounts, except maybe the emissions, but that varies by state. Any added HP is just a bonus, so that is very low on the list. I'm looking for a better sound like everyone else and don't want to spend 3-$5k on a cat back system. Performance to $ doesn't add up for me. Thanks everyone for the replies.
And manufacturers NEVER exaggerate the benefits and minimize or ignore the negatives, right?

I can guarantee you that if you have an engine problem, GM will look at those cat delete pipes and say "oh, so sad, too bad." Probably if you have any drivetrain issue. "Oh, your mods exceeded the designed HP, any issues are because of that." Might want to watch the video below.

And it is a clear violation of federal law to remove the cats. Maybe in some states you'll get away with it, but any state that requires an inspection is going to catch it as soon as they fire up the car and smell the exhaust, then fail you.

The manufacturers say everything is hunky dory. If it's on the internet, it must be true, right? LOL.
Old 10-03-2022, 06:22 PM
C7Me
Burning Brakes

St. Jude Donor '19

Originally Posted by DSOMrulz
And manufacturers NEVER exaggerate the benefits and minimize or ignore the negatives, right?

I can guarantee you that if you have an engine problem, GM will look at those cat delete pipes and say "oh, so sad, too bad." Probably if you have any drivetrain issue. "Oh, your mods exceeded the designed HP, any issues are because of that." Might want to watch the video below.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FYBjfsxzJ9s

And it is a clear violation of federal law to remove the cats. Maybe in some states you'll get away with it, but any state that requires an inspection is going to catch it as soon as they fire up the car and smell the exhaust, then fail you.

The manufacturers say everything is hunky dory. If it's on the internet, it must be true, right? LOL.
You mean just like the “sky is falling” and “don’t do that” response you just gave? Sound like a Karen! Lol!

The manufacturers say everything is hunky dory. If it's on the internet, it must be true, right? LOL.”

Does this go for GM also when they tell you everything is fine with the trans and the wheel cracking issue with the C7 GS and Z06 wheels?? They said it was a non issue.🙄

Quick Reply: Cat Delete Pipe vs Cat Back Exhaust