Notices
C8 General Discussion The place to discuss the next generation of Corvette.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

An Observation... Water vs Waterless Washing

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-2022, 07:28 PM
Zormecteon
Drifting

Received 1,374 Likes on 674 Posts
Default An Observation... Water vs Waterless Washing

Mine is ceramic coated. For the most part during the too hot weather (as in the paint should be cool to the touch hot) I've been using Waterless Car Wash or Simply Ceramic Detailer to keep the car clean. (Corvette Rule # XX--Thou shalt not drive a dirty car).

Well, yesterday I got the real car wash and washed it with WATER. It makes a difference! The car shines brightly. I believe that some part of the difference is that all the little edges -as around the trunk lid, the doors, etc, get washed with soap instead of passed over by wiping off of the waterless or detailing spray.

Just an observation.
Old 09-15-2022, 07:36 PM
RKCRLR
Le Mans Master

Received 6,190 Likes on 3,396 Posts

Originally Posted by Zormecteon
Mine is ceramic coated. For the most part during the too hot weather (as in the paint should be cool to the touch hot) I've been using Waterless Car Wash or Simply Ceramic Detailer to keep the car clean. (Corvette Rule # XX--Thou shalt not drive a dirty car).

Well, yesterday I got the real car wash and washed it with WATER. It makes a difference! The car shines brightly. I believe that some part of the difference is that all the little edges -as around the trunk lid, the doors, etc, get washed with soap instead of passed over by wiping off of the waterless or detailing spray.

Just an observation.
That is one of the reasons I use a rinseless wash with soaking wet microfiber cloths. I don't find a rinseless wash much more effort than a waterless wash.
The following users liked this post:
MikeinAZ (09-17-2022)
Old 09-15-2022, 08:13 PM
Kevin A Jones
Race Director

Received 11,772 Likes on 5,621 Posts

Originally Posted by Zormecteon
Just an observation.
I agree, and have always hand wash my vehicles with water the old fashion way and am very please with the results.

z51vett (09-17-2022)
Old 09-16-2022, 04:59 PM
Red Mist Rulz
Race Director

Received 8,531 Likes on 4,271 Posts

The detailer that I use occasionally says the water is your friend. It acts as a lubricant to separate dirt from the paint, and helps prevent scratching from dirt that's stuck either to the paint or your waterless wash applicator.

Agree with RKCRLR on rinseless wash. Quick, easy, and unless the car is really dirty what I normally do. In cold weather, I do it in the garage. No hose needed. Just lots of microfiber towels. Google "Gary Dean Method" if you want to learn more about it. (Some of his videos show him hosing the car down first, but that's optional. You can use a spray bottle to lubricate the paint a section at a time.)
RKCRLR (09-16-2022)
Old 09-16-2022, 05:15 PM
RonnieC6Z
Drifting

Received 768 Likes on 230 Posts

My car never sees soap. I had it ceramic coated with C-quartz pro the first week of ownership. (21 months ago, daily driver). Every 2 weeks I hose it down with a pretty strong stream of water, then dry it with quality micro fiber towels and then hit any spots that need hitting with a touch of detail spray and micro fiber towel. That's it. My car shines and feels as it did 21 months ago. Also, never, and I mean never, wash your car in any sunlight.
Old 09-16-2022, 06:00 PM
peter pan
Life Time NCM #2196

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,099 Likes on 810 Posts

Even easier to maintain when 100% PPFand ceramic coated.
Old 09-16-2022, 08:27 PM
FlyinLow
Pro

Received 237 Likes on 109 Posts

Check out this video from Pan the Organizer on youtube. I've watched many of his videos, he is a professional detailer in Canada, no nonsense, infomative, I've learned a ton of stuff watching his video's, learned more about detailing from him over a weekend than I've learned the last 20 years.

The following 3 users liked this post by FlyinLow:
AdventurePoser (09-16-2022), Bmzomwlpz__ (09-23-2022), MikeinAZ (09-17-2022)
Old 09-16-2022, 08:39 PM
AdventurePoser
Drifting

Received 555 Likes on 266 Posts

As a newbie with a new C8, I'm looking at all the options for waterless washing as I have a dirt driveway, LOL
Old 09-16-2022, 09:41 PM
VolsandVettes
Advanced

Received 61 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by RonnieC6Z
My car never sees soap. I had it ceramic coated with C-quartz pro the first week of ownership. (21 months ago, daily driver). Every 2 weeks I hose it down with a pretty strong stream of water, then dry it with quality micro fiber towels and then hit any spots that need hitting with a touch of detail spray and micro fiber towel. That's it. My car shines and feels as it did 21 months ago. Also, never, and I mean never, wash your car in any sunlight.

why can’t you wash your car in sunlight? If using Ph neutral soap, what’s the problem?
Old 09-16-2022, 10:38 PM
Avanti
Race Director

Received 5,236 Likes on 3,469 Posts

"...Waterless Washing"... an oxymoron for nearly all but dry-cleaning.
rajeevx7 (09-29-2022)
Old 09-17-2022, 01:27 AM
SoCal C8
Burning Brakes

Received 1,281 Likes on 537 Posts

Revivify ceramic coating, never washed with water since delivery (5/2021). Just use a waterless wash and top off the blinker fluid.

The following 3 users liked this post by SoCal C8:
BoilerUp4Life (09-20-2022), ednsd (10-03-2022), niemo (09-18-2022)
Old 09-17-2022, 07:11 AM
activevette
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 101 Likes on 51 Posts

I wouldn't even consider washing the car without water and soap. Grind the dirt in with a towel and some detailer? You are scratching the paint surface regardless of what you think.

No thanks.
The following 3 users liked this post by activevette:
Atlantan (09-17-2022), BIG Dave (09-20-2022), z51vett (09-17-2022)
Old 09-17-2022, 10:35 AM
Foosh
Team Owner

Received 16,669 Likes on 8,312 Posts

Technically, there is such thing as a "waterless" wash product since they are all approximately 98% water.
Old 09-17-2022, 12:03 PM
dohabandit
Melting Slicks

Received 1,436 Likes on 799 Posts

That's a neat video, but you will never see me run a cloth, sponge, or anything across the BOTTOM of a panel and then move to wiping down the top without first rinsing that sponge or cloth in my rinse bucket. I doubt anyone will ever convince me that that two bucket method isn't warranted.
Old 09-19-2022, 01:51 PM
d16dcoe45
Pro

Received 326 Likes on 176 Posts

Originally Posted by activevette
I wouldn't even consider washing the car without water and soap. Grind the dirt in with a towel and some detailer? You are scratching the paint surface regardless of what you think.

No thanks.
Actually, waterless wash (like pretty much all of the boutique brands sell) works better than a soap and water wash. No matter how careful you are--even with a three bucket method, you are picking as fine silt and spreading it into finish. And water is a TERRIBLE lubricant (ask a anyone who works on steam engines)

And if you are drying with a chamois or towel of ANY kind, you are scratching WAY MORE than any waterless wash/micro fiber towel! Heated air dryer only!!

And if you are going to use water, I would NEVER use a pressure washer (ever again--I used one for years until I wised up) to beat your paint and trim into submission. Pressure washers are for mud boggers and sand drag racers, NOT for cars usually need a light cleaning
Old 09-19-2022, 05:20 PM
Zormecteon
Drifting

Received 1,374 Likes on 674 Posts

In the original post I didn't mention that I've been using a Foaming Sprayer. Not attached to a pressure washer, just a garden hose, then use the hose nozzle to rinse... No wiping except to dry with microfibre drying towels.
Old 09-20-2022, 11:25 AM
Foosh
Team Owner

A low pressure power washer (under 2K psi) is a great tool, and if you keep the nozzle at least 2-3 ft away from the surface, you're not power washing or doing anything different than a garden hose spray nozzle. You get quicker and better coverage and use 50-70% less water. That's important when using a spotless water system like I do. I use that method for "dusting" the car when it's not otherwise dirty. That's safer for paint than using detailer spray.

However, most of the time I use the rinseless wash method with microfiber towels soaked in a bucket with the mixture. I soak about 8 towels, and use a new one for every panel.

Get notified of new replies

To An Observation... Water vs Waterless Washing

Old 09-20-2022, 11:58 AM
JimB.
Instructor

Received 104 Likes on 68 Posts

Originally Posted by Foosh
A low pressure power washer (under 2K psi) is a great tool, and if you keep the nozzle at least 2-3 ft away from the surface, you're not power washing or doing anything different than a garden hose spray nozzle. You get quicker and better coverage and use 50-70% less water. That's important when using a spotless water system like I do. I use that method for "dusting" the car when it's not otherwise dirty. That's safer for paint than using detailer spray.

However, most of the time I use the rinseless wash method with microfiber towels soaked in a bucket with the mixture. I soak about 8 towels, and use a new one for every panel.
Foosh, what’s your go-to rinseless wash solution? I know there are a lot of different brands, all claiming to be the best. Thx.
Old 09-20-2022, 01:03 PM
Foosh
Team Owner

@JimB. I'm pretty happy with this. 1oz. mixed with 2 gallons of water does a great job.

JimB. (09-20-2022)
Old 09-20-2022, 03:23 PM
corvetteflier
Burning Brakes

Received 98 Likes on 78 Posts

Originally Posted by activevette

No thanks.
Same here. I use a duster and then Maguire's or Mothers detailer where the dust collects. Black car, so every 2 to maybe 3 weeks, I'll wash it with Maguire's wash and wax because you do get a film even if you keep it "dusted." Also use Maguire's wax and dry on top surfaces. Really makes the black metallic paint pop. Did a great job on my Torch Red '18, as well.

Quick Reply: An Observation... Water vs Waterless Washing