Notices
C8 General Discussion The place to discuss the next generation of Corvette.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

tranny problems - no fun

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-2022, 01:01 PM
jrm21
Instructor

Received 133 Likes on 50 Posts

Originally Posted by JVi
Just another 500 miles and the DCT will be fully broken in.
Interesting that you write that.

I asked both dealers about break-in period for the new transmission. Both stated the 500 mile/1500 mile suggestion is for the engine and not the tranny. There is no new break in period for the new transmission. That said, I was also told by the new dealer to "take it easy" on the new transmission for "a little while" - not fast starts/launch mode/etc.

Old 11-08-2022, 04:07 PM
AV8TOR536
Racer

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by jrm21
This situation has become beyond absurd.

Local dealer (Empire Chevrolet - avoid these people at all costs) originally told me the valve body was on backorder and would take two months or more to arrive. They would not hold my car and told me I needed to pick it up asap. Transmission was in no condition for driving. I contacted GM customer assistance to arrange for roadside to tow it to a different dealer.

GM agreed to do so and the truck was arranged.In the same call, they also told me the valve body has shipped (the same day it was ordered) and should arrive soon. GM agreed to contact the dealer to have Empire ship the valve body to the new dealer.

I went to the dealership to get my car that day. As if by magic, they claimed the valve body came in that morning and the car was currently on the lift. Could not be moved until it was put back together. I figured that was good news and asked when they could expect to complete the repair. That was a problem... to finish the job they also need a gasket and bolts. Those were on order, but no idea when or if they might arrive.

So I'm supposed to believe a busy dealership has my car on a lift, disassembled, and will keep it there for an indefinite period of time waiting for additional parts.

Next day I get a call - parts came in, repair is complete, and car is ready for pickup. Sounds good.

Three days and 200 miles later, transmission fails again. This time the car will not move at all. I contact roadside. That situation is its own disaster (Took four hours and several phone calls for a tow truck to arrive. They took the car but refused to deliver it because GM would not pay the correct amount. Took five hours and a dozen phone calls to straighten that out). Anyway, the car finally arrived at the new dealer.

New dealer looks at car, reads the codes, and contacts GM. One code indicated a transmission replacement. GM tells them to ignore that code and replace the valve body.

I explain to the dealer that the valve body was already replaced the previous week. GM claims it was NOT. I send new dealership paperwork from Empire. The valve body is listed there, but they say something is wrong. Some of the billing codes don't match the work that was claimed. Somewhat moot as GM won't let the dealer do anything but order and replace the valve body. Again, that part is on backorder and no one knows when it might arrive.

I had sent an email to Mary Barra's office last week complaining about the process. Someone reached out to me a few days later, and again today. Unfortunately, these people are idiots. My time would be better spent banging my head against a wall.

The GM "Executive Team" person told me exactly what the dealer told me. "GM has determined that the valve body should be replaced." I tried to explain (without using words with too many syllables) that this was supposedly already done. The halfwit just parrots back "GM has determined that the valve body should be replaced."

One of two things happened here:

1. Empire did NOT replace the valve body. That means they lied to me and GM and gave me back a broken (and dangerous) car.
2. Empire DID replace the valve body. That means my car is now in the shop waiting for a part that will not fix the problem. They will likely return it, I'll drive it home, it will break again, and then have to be towed back to the dealer (with all the headaches that process entails). Then they order a tranny and wait for that to arrive.

I would think it is important to find out if the valve body was actually installed. That would allow GM to determine the next correct step. No one seems to care if the car was actually repaired by the first dealership, or if they lied about doing the work. Either way, it's been three weeks and not an ounce of progress has been made. I'm still waiting for a valve body to be received and installed.

When the car worked, I liked it more than any car I have owned. Unfortunately, GM has done everything possible to make me regret the purchase. This is truly the most screwed up company I have ever had the displeasure of dealing with. I'm counting the days in the shop until I meet the lemon law threshold. I'd also consider selling it once repaired, but I'm not sure I want to pass on such a problem to someone else.

I am locked into Ron Fellows this November. If I could get out of that, I would. I'm totally fed up with this situation and this company.
GM treated me the same way with my C6 (long story) and NEVER thought about buying a GM product again I don't care what it is.
Old 11-08-2022, 07:55 PM
jrm21
Instructor

Originally Posted by AV8TOR536
GM treated me the same way with my C6 (long story) and NEVER thought about buying a GM product again I don't care what it is.
I work with some big corporations. Sad to say, but this is common. There seems to be some major disconnects in large bureaucracies. GM does seem to exceed all my worst expectations, but that's party because it's all customer facing. The other companies I work with are in a B2B context, but it is still amazing that they are able to get anything done.
Old 11-08-2022, 08:59 PM
AORoads
Team Owner

Received 2,485 Likes on 1,947 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15
"In honor of jpee"

1,000 miles into (hopefully) a long, long ownership with no further trans worries! Good luck. And Paramus Chev deserves a big kudo/shout out.

And btw for those who don't know this little factoid, Paramus Chev is the successor to Malcolm Konner Chev in that area, the same one that Mike Furman at Criswell Chev in Gaithersburg, MD started working at many years ago.
Old 11-09-2022, 07:33 AM
Andybump
Le Mans Master

Received 3,827 Likes on 2,274 Posts

Interesting that you write that.

I asked both dealers about break-in period for the new transmission. Both stated the 500 mile/1500 mile suggestion is for the engine and not the tranny. There is no new break in period for the new transmission. That said, I was also told by the new dealer to "take it easy" on the new transmission for "a little while" - not fast starts/launch mode/etc.
There are different opinions on that. I think the owner's manual is ambiguous at best. There is a torque limit during the first 500 miles - some folks speculate that the torque limit is to protect the transmission. And then there are two caution statements in the owners manual that relate to the transmission, see the clips below. One mentions "7500 miles during the break-in period" for the transmission. The other mentions potential damage to the powertrain/engine during break-in (in other words not just the engine).

Old 11-09-2022, 07:44 AM
AORoads
Team Owner

Received 2,485 Likes on 1,947 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15
"In honor of jpee"

It is ambiguous, but it's still a good find! Considering the cost of that DCT, it might be a good idea to err on the side of caution?????
Old 11-09-2022, 08:34 AM
lion shf
Burning Brakes

Received 390 Likes on 235 Posts

Out of warranty the C8 is gonna be soul crushing
Old 11-09-2022, 08:55 AM
undecided1965
Burning Brakes

Received 475 Likes on 285 Posts
Default Have you owned any M cars?

Originally Posted by lion shf
Those can be bone crushing as well. I know those kinds of costs may be high for a Chevy but nothing new for ex-M owners.
Old 11-09-2022, 02:36 PM
Dave O
Melting Slicks

Received 1,412 Likes on 625 Posts

Originally Posted by lion shf
That's why it might not be a bad idea to get an extended warranty. Got mine from Dennis for around $1400. Cheep insurance just in case.
Old 11-10-2022, 01:59 AM
jrm21
Instructor

Originally Posted by Dave O
That's why it might not be a bad idea to get an extended warranty. Got mine from Dennis for around $1400. Cheep insurance just in case.
I'm going to look into that again.

When I purchased the car, I wanted to get the extended warranty. The dealer strongly advised against it. Swore that the "Platinum Plan" provided the same exact coverage - including the convertible top. Also told me the Platinum Plan (at $2,200 for 72mo/48k miles) was $300 less than the extended warranty. Added that the extended warranty involved sales tax, while the Platinum Plan did not (another $200).

Two of those three claims were wrong. I was charged sales tax on the plan and it specifically excludes the convertible top. I ended up cancelling it for a full refund (although the dealer refuses to return the sales tax). This is in addition to apparently overcharging for the plan itself. Not to mention that 48k miles is only about another year beyond the factory with the mileage I use.

Any plan that excludes the convertible top is a non-starter for me. I understand that GM may have revised the wording on that section. If I am able to still get the plan, and the top is included, it's something I would consider. Especially from a more honest dealer that charges a fair price. If not, the plan is to sell the car before the 3/36 runs out (which is what I end up doing with all my cars).

Old 11-10-2022, 05:18 PM
RobWilson
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 218 Likes on 145 Posts

Some food for thought as you navigate this situation. A friend of mine had to have his transmission replaced on his 2023 HTC after only 500 miles. GM rep told him to do a 1500 mile break-in on the new transmission. They also gave him an extended warranty on the new transmission.

I'm going to look into that again.

When I purchased the car, I wanted to get the extended warranty. The dealer strongly advised against it. Swore that the "Platinum Plan" provided the same exact coverage - including the convertible top. Also told me the Platinum Plan (at $2,200 for 72mo/48k miles) was $300 less than the extended warranty. Added that the extended warranty involved sales tax, while the Platinum Plan did not (another $200).

Two of those three claims were wrong. I was charged sales tax on the plan and it specifically excludes the convertible top. I ended up cancelling it for a full refund (although the dealer refuses to return the sales tax). This is in addition to apparently overcharging for the plan itself. Not to mention that 48k miles is only about another year beyond the factory with the mileage I use.

Any plan that excludes the convertible top is a non-starter for me. I understand that GM may have revised the wording on that section. If I am able to still get the plan, and the top is included, it's something I would consider. Especially from a more honest dealer that charges a fair price. If not, the plan is to sell the car before the 3/36 runs out (which is what I end up doing with all my cars).
Old 11-10-2022, 05:33 PM
jrm21
Instructor

Originally Posted by RobWilson
Some food for thought as you navigate this situation. A friend of mine had to have his transmission replaced on his 2023 HTC after only 500 miles. GM rep told him to do a 1500 mile break-in on the new transmission. They also gave him an extended warranty on the new transmission.
Either way, my plan is to take it easy on the transmission for the first 1500 miles. I'll hit that mark pretty soon.

As to an extended warranty... GM is giving me nothing for my troubles. It was difficult enough to get them to agree to fix the problem. I wouldn't know where to start. The thought of another 12+ hours navigating phone menus and brain-dead customer service morons is too much to bear.

Quick Reply: tranny problems - no fun