Notices
C8 General Discussion The place to discuss the next generation of Corvette.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Convertible Use?

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-2022, 02:24 PM
CurtB58
Advanced

Received 43 Likes on 21 Posts
Default Convertible Use?

Hi All,

Perhaps this thread is applicable to any convertible, and not just Corvettes, but curious about how often people drop the top on their convertible Corvettes. Of course, use is weather dependent (or so it seems to me), but wondering how many of you regularly drop the convertible top even when conditions would generally be considered appropriate for such use. I've always felt that most convertible cars never looked good with the tops up (granted, that's completely a personal opinion), and I've felt that about all cloth-topped convertibles, not just Corvettes. The C8 hard top Corvette convertible is a different story, again, in my opinion. They look a lot like the coupe with the top up, hence my decision to get the HTC. Anyway, back to the point of my post... Here in southern Nevada, the summer heat is, again, in my opinion, often too extreme to allow dropping the convertible top, even in the relatively cooler evening hours. From a purely temperature point of view, I'm guessing we have only a relatively short period of time in the spring and fall when it would be comfortable to drop the top. Not to mention the potential fading and other damage to the leather interior from getting blasted by the sun. Ultimately, I ended up getting the HTC mostly because I thought it would be nice to have the option to have it on those rare occasions (for me) when I'd likely use it. In fact, I'm not sure that I'll end up using it much, if at all. So, I was just curious about the thoughts/opinions other have on the convertible top, and how much you either plan to, or actually do, use it. Again, I'm sure there are folks who are the opposite of me, and rarely, if ever, put the top UP, regardless of the weather. We are all different, of course. But, I'm just curious and interested.

Last edited by CurtB58; 08-05-2022 at 01:41 PM.
The following users liked this post:
ecdy (08-04-2022)
Old 08-04-2022, 02:30 PM
RKCRLR
Le Mans Master

Received 6,190 Likes on 3,396 Posts

Originally Posted by CurtB58
Hi All,

Perhaps this thread is applicable to any convertible, and not just Corvettes, but curious about how often people drop the top on their convertible Corvettes. Of course, use is weather dependent (or so it seems to me), but wondering how many of you regularly drop the convertible top even when conditions would generally be considered appropriate for such use. I've always felt that most convertible cars never looked good with the tops up (granted, that's completely a personal opinion), and I've felt that about all cloth-topped convertibles, not just Corvettes. The hard top Corvette convertible is a different story, again, in my opinion. They look a lot like the coupe with the top up, hence my decision to get the HTC. Anyway, back to the point of my post... Here in southern Nevada, the summer heat is, again, in my opinion, often too extreme to allow dropping the convertible top, even in the relatively cooler evening hours. From a purely temperature point of view, I'm guessing we have only a relatively short period of time in the spring and fall when it would be comfortable to drop the top. Not to mention the potential fading and other damage to the leather interior from getting blasted by the sun. Ultimately, I ended up getting the HTC mostly because I thought it would be nice to have the option to have it on those rare occasions (for me) when I'd likely use it. In fact, I"m not sure that I'll end up using it much, if at all. So, I was just curious about the thoughts/opinions other have on the convertible top, and how much you either plan to, or actually do, use it. Again, I"m sure there are folks who are the opposite of me, and rarely, if ever, put the top UP, regardless of the weather. We are all different, of course. But, I'm just curious and interested.
For short trips I'll put the top down even if it is hot out (AC helps). Top goes up on long trips on hot days.
On nice days in winter I put the top down if I feel like it. I put the windows up if it is a little chilly out. Turn on heat, heated steering wheel, and heated seats.
I don't like driving on freeways with the top down so I always put it up before getting on the freeway and put it down when I get off the freeway, even on nice days.
bodak1 (09-20-2022)
Old 08-04-2022, 02:31 PM
mjhoward
Instructor

Received 280 Likes on 94 Posts

I've only had mine for a couple of months but have dropped the top several times. The convenience of hitting a button has me using it more often then if it was a targa top that had to be removed and stored. Another thing I really like about the HTC is being able to lower the rear window to hear the exhaust or just get a little air going. Even if its raining out, you can lower that window and not get the interior wet.
Old 08-04-2022, 02:32 PM
jagtoes
Racer

Received 341 Likes on 154 Posts

My min temp I drop the top is 45*F which is the min temp I play golf. The max temp is 90*F . So here in the NE I start top down weather around mid to end March and goes to about late Nov to early Dec. Top usually goes down as I back out of the garage. Car is driven daily having received it in Dec 2020 and now have 22,000 miles on it. Enjoy the ride as life is short.
Old 08-04-2022, 02:35 PM
Kevin A Jones
Race Director

Received 11,764 Likes on 5,617 Posts

Most of my Corvettes over the years have been convertibles, but as I reflect back, I really didn't put the top down on them that much. That's partially why I went with the C8 coup with the dual 'painted and transparent' tops option.
Though not, quite the experience of a convertible, having (3) top options appealed to me for the C8 anyway. When my Z06 order comes up, I may decide to go with a HTC.
It's totally a preference thing, go with what you prefer.

Old 08-04-2022, 02:37 PM
Steve~74
Drifting

Received 96 Likes on 40 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15

its been in the 90s in NJ for a few days ... top is down
Old 08-04-2022, 02:41 PM
got2bblu
Drifting

Received 240 Likes on 96 Posts

Originally Posted by mjhoward
I've only had mine for a couple of months but have dropped the top several times. The convenience of hitting a button has me using it more often then if it was a targa top that had to be removed and stored. Another thing I really like about the HTC is being able to lower the rear window to hear the exhaust or just get a little air going. Even if its raining out, you can lower that window and not get the interior wet.
The rear window is a big plus for the HTC
Old 08-04-2022, 02:43 PM
LIE2ME
Le Mans Master

Received 4,579 Likes on 1,646 Posts

I have owned Targa top and convertible Corvettes. I rarely removed the Targa top on the hard top car (C6), but my convertible top is down (C7 & C8) way more than it's left up. So, I guess I am partial to convertibles...

Old 08-04-2022, 02:45 PM
plmmd
Burning Brakes

Received 847 Likes on 365 Posts

Top down as much as possible- almost 100 here in NYC today top is down. The beauty of being able to put it up at speed no longer has me looking at the sky predicting rain and wondering if ill need to pull out of traffic to put the targa on or engage roof closure when the parking brake is on- which happens with boxster. I am convinced I was an idiot not having this before. I did have an sl with cloth top but needed to stop to put it up and really loved it only 2-3 months a year. As stated earlier you can drive top down in the 50s with this car
psollitto (08-07-2022)
Old 08-04-2022, 02:46 PM
Korbek
Melting Slicks

Received 2,024 Likes on 834 Posts

Originally Posted by CurtB58
Hi All,

Perhaps this thread is applicable to any convertible, and not just Corvettes, but curious about how often people drop the top on their convertible Corvettes. Of course, use is weather dependent (or so it seems to me), but wondering how many of you regularly drop the convertible top even when conditions would generally be considered appropriate for such use. I've always felt that most convertible cars never looked good with the tops up (granted, that's completely a personal opinion), and I've felt that about all cloth-topped convertibles, not just Corvettes. The hard top Corvette convertible is a different story, again, in my opinion. They look a lot like the coupe with the top up, hence my decision to get the HTC. Anyway, back to the point of my post... Here in southern Nevada, the summer heat is, again, in my opinion, often too extreme to allow dropping the convertible top, even in the relatively cooler evening hours. From a purely temperature point of view, I'm guessing we have only a relatively short period of time in the spring and fall when it would be comfortable to drop the top. Not to mention the potential fading and other damage to the leather interior from getting blasted by the sun. Ultimately, I ended up getting the HTC mostly because I thought it would be nice to have the option to have it on those rare occasions (for me) when I'd likely use it. In fact, I"m not sure that I'll end up using it much, if at all. So, I was just curious about the thoughts/opinions other have on the convertible top, and how much you either plan to, or actually do, use it. Again, I"m sure there are folks who are the opposite of me, and rarely, if ever, put the top UP, regardless of the weather. We are all different, of course. But, I'm just curious and interested.
I go for early morning drives and drop the top every time. From June through September in south Texas, the mid day and afternoon sun is too intense so I dont often drop it as the day goes on, but ive had it down at least part or half of every single outing I've had in it so far, and I'm past 3,000 miles.

Originally Posted by plmmd
Top down as much as possible- almost 100 here in NYC today top is down. The beauty of being able to put it up at speed no longer has me looking at the sky predicting rain and wondering if ill need to pull out of traffic to put the targa on or engage roof closure when the parking brake is on- which happens with boxster. I am convinced I was an idiot not having this before. I did have an sl with cloth top but needed to stop to put it up and really loved it only 2-3 months a year. As stated earlier you can drive top down in the 50s with this car
50s? With the heated seat turned on, AC turned to warm, top down and windows up you can drive this car with the top down in 20 degree weather.
jay21 (08-05-2022)
Old 08-04-2022, 02:54 PM
spireland
Melting Slicks

Received 2,147 Likes on 877 Posts

I've got an HTC showing up next month, so I can't speak to that though my last car was a roadster. I'm in California, so I we have 300plus days of no rain, though I usually have the top off the car 80 percent of the time I'm driving. Did the same thing with my C7, and that was a coupe.
Old 08-04-2022, 02:54 PM
sleekvt
Instructor

Received 108 Likes on 64 Posts

I drove 92 and 06 Mustang GT convertibles since new - push a button and top down/up. Used it all the time (living in California is a luxury for convertible drivers).
However, when I got my 2016 C7, I still took off the top when possible, but I'm sure I did it less than a true convertible where you push a button / manual top retraction.
My 87 Lotus Turbo Esprit also has a removeable roof; it was far more painful to do; I would sometimes leave the top at home for days since California weather was consistently good.

My 23 C8 HTC is great - no sacrifice in luggage space (this cannot be overemphasized) - just push a button and top down/up in 16 seconds.
No need to rearrange trunk like in C7, leaving stuff behind on a trip because the top would take up space.

Now- talking about the weather.

Last few months there have been scorchers here even in California - I concede in 2022 that very hot days (90F plus), I would not use a convertible top down.
But - the evenings are nice top down even if hot - the sunlight at 90F is just too much for extended driving.

If you don't consider yourself a convertible guy like me, you're probably better off saving the $7500 and getting the coupe. It's a compromise, but for your situation (hot Nevada),
I suspect you'll use the convertible more at night and rarely in the day (except fall/winter).

The convenience of the convertible C8 was the biggest selling point for a convertible guy like me.
Old 08-04-2022, 03:08 PM
Ragtop 99
Safety Car

Received 1,186 Likes on 685 Posts

Originally Posted by RKCRLR
For short trips I'll put the top down even if it is hot out (AC helps). Top goes up on long trips on hot days.
On nice days in winter I put the top down if I feel like it. I put the windows up if it is a little chilly out. Turn on heat, heated steering wheel, and heated seats.
This is what I do.
RKCRLR (08-04-2022)
Old 08-04-2022, 03:14 PM
CJ Willys
Le Mans Master

Received 505 Likes on 295 Posts

I’ve always preferred her with her top off.
The following 5 users liked this post by CJ Willys:
CCONKLIN1 (09-16-2022), jay21 (08-05-2022), Jbravo_AK (08-04-2022), Ken Chevy (08-04-2022), Wife said I could (08-04-2022)
Old 08-04-2022, 03:19 PM
Clc3251
Racer

Received 274 Likes on 130 Posts

Good weather and under 55mph drops the top. Always on back roads, never on the highway. 80 mph is just not fun with the top down for hours on the highway.
megawatt1203 (08-04-2022)
Old 08-04-2022, 03:32 PM
CurtB58
Advanced

Received 43 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by spireland
I've got an HTC showing up next month, so I can't speak to that though my last car was a roadster. I'm in California, so I we have 300plus days of no rain, though I usually have the top off the car 80 percent of the time I'm driving. Did the same thing with my C7, and that was a coupe.
Being in Las Vegas, almost every summer day seemed to be cloudless. This summer, we have had what seems like a huge oddity, in that we have had a significant number of cloudy days, or so it seems to me. It reminds me of the summer weather I used to experience in Chicago, where I lived until 2000. I've gotten used to the clear blue, sunny skies as almost a given, every day in the summer. This year, though, it feels like almost half our days have been completely or at least partially overcast. I'm not complaining really, as the clouds do seem to moderate our typical extreme heat. A lot of words to say that our consistent summer weather in southern Nevada no longer seems to be the case. However, the super convenience of being able to raise or lower the top while moving (up to 25mph, I think) means that worrying about rain is not an issue. That said, I'm not sure if/when I'll use my convertible top. Before I retired in January, and driving in to the office about 2:30am, I'm guessing it would have been a great time to drive, even on the freeway, with the top down in the summer. It's one of those things that seems really nice to have as a possibility, even if it's rarely, or never, used.

Last edited by CurtB58; 08-05-2022 at 01:27 PM.
Old 08-04-2022, 03:34 PM
JScottH3
Racer

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 153 Likes on 69 Posts

Every day when it's not too hot or cold and not raining.
Ken Chevy (08-04-2022)

Get notified of new replies

To Convertible Use?

Old 08-04-2022, 03:36 PM
ChiefP
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 94 Likes on 51 Posts

The HTC has better lines IMO, up or down!
The following 4 users liked this post by ChiefP:
C-ATE (09-16-2022), KombatKing (09-18-2022), SoCalJD (08-04-2022), tadda (08-04-2022)
Old 08-04-2022, 03:44 PM
Marina_White/Blue_67
Heel & Toe

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I have a 67 small block convertible with factory side pipes and only drive it with the top down. Such a fantastic experience.

I have a 2022 HTC and put the top down when temps are under 90 deg. I much prefer the top down driving in the C8. I think they tuned the Bose stereo to sound better with the top down. My opinion of course!
Old 08-04-2022, 03:52 PM
2021NJC8
Advanced

Received 21 Likes on 14 Posts

All 800 miles since I got it last August, top down..
PColasanto (08-05-2022)

Quick Reply: Convertible Use?