Notices
C8 General Discussion The place to discuss the next generation of Corvette.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Complicated Service

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2022, 12:35 AM
EasyElliott
Pro

Received 268 Likes on 130 Posts
Default Complicated Service

My 2021 C8 was coming up it’s one year service, so I scheduled it with Daniels Long Chevrolet in Colorado Springs. Just before my appointment I get a text that they had to cancel my appointment. They ran out of the correct oil and it could be a 3 week wait. They also informed me that they get it in 55 gallon drums, which is not my preference.
So after a day of thinking I called Mike Maroone Chevrolet also in Colorado Springs. They said they had all in stock and could get me in at 7 AM this morning.
By mistake I went to their north location and they said they did not show an appointment. I then realized That my appointment was with their south location. I sped to the south location and arrived at 7:30 AM. No problem as they had my car on the lift in minutes. Oil and filer changed along with a side to side tire rotation. Now they tell me they have to wait until the transmission cools down. After 2 hours I go over to the Corvette technician and ask when he was going to change the transmission filter. He was dumbfounded and said he was just waiting to check the fluid level. I said what does that have to do with changing the filter. It was then they discovered that the computer deleted the filter change in error.
Now they discover they were out of the transmission filter. But, their North store had it. Due to some additional errors and a water main break between locations, the filter did not arrive until almost 4 PM. The technician got right on it and he let me watch every detail of the job. It was a great learning experience and I made good friends with the service manager as well as the new car manager. Finally at 5:30 PM my car was done. By the way they used individual quart containers of Mobil 1.
I was very upset not having lunch and spending over 10 hours there. But if I lost my temper, it would have got me nowhere. I asked the service manager if there was something he could do. He said he wouldn’t charge me for the service. I said in a nice way, that’s big of you not to charge me for a free service. He laughed, and gave me a signed letter that my next service was 50% off.

My car has 4,400 trouble free miles on it and has always performed perfectly. But I noticed that after all the updates they did, my transmission now under full throttle finds a more aggressive gear for acceleration. I spent over 2 hours with the Corvette technician and it was a great learning experience.

My wife could not understand how I did not explode. I said it would have got me nowhere and except for missing lunch, I had a real fun day.

Last edited by EasyElliott; 07-30-2022 at 12:41 AM. Reason: Spell error
The following 3 users liked this post by EasyElliott:
Cumbers (07-31-2022), Fast Dawg (07-30-2022), heysteveh (07-30-2022)
Old 07-30-2022, 12:46 AM
AzDave47
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 4,532 Likes on 2,610 Posts

Given how frequently things like this seem to happen, it may be a good idea to always have enough of the correct M1 oil (only available in quart bottles) and an oil filter and transmission filter if that is scheduled. I know the tranny filters are expensive., but quite a few forum members have reported being told by the dealer that they had the right parts and then show up and some of them are out of stock (usually a 2-3 week wait).
Old 07-30-2022, 02:13 AM
boomie1
Racer

Received 35 Likes on 16 Posts

That's a great attitude bud, **** happens! Glad you made a good day out of it.
Old 07-30-2022, 09:07 AM
dvilin
Team Owner

Received 7,932 Likes on 4,812 Posts

I wonder if the Corvette Tech was as excited as you having to spend 2 hours with you.
The following 3 users liked this post by dvilin:
astepup (07-30-2022), C8driver (07-31-2022), Cumbers (07-31-2022)
Old 07-30-2022, 09:19 AM
Newdude
Pro

Received 493 Likes on 245 Posts

Imagine being bothered that they get the correct oil in a 55 gallon drum. Also, if I were the tech, straight to the service mgr. as customers in the shop in the bays is a no go with insurance/OSHA.
The following users liked this post:
dvilin (07-30-2022)
Old 07-30-2022, 09:35 AM
BIG Dave
Le Mans Master

Received 4,684 Likes on 1,862 Posts

Originally Posted by EasyElliott
… They also informed me that they get it in 55 gallon drums, which is not my preference..
Why? I would think the oil in the 1 QT containers and the oil in the 55 gallon containers come from the same 1,000 gallon containers.

Old 07-30-2022, 09:36 AM
EasyElliott
Pro

Originally Posted by Newdude
Imagine being bothered that they get the correct oil in a 55 gallon drum. Also, if I were the tech, straight to the service mgr. as customers in the shop in the bays is a no go with insurance/OSHA.
I agree with you, but the service manager brought me to him and was showing me work on the 4 other corvettes being worked on. The service manager and I were sharing our experience with our Spring Mountain track event.
Old 07-30-2022, 09:39 AM
EasyElliott
Pro

Originally Posted by BIG Dave
Why? I would think the oil in the 1 QT containers and the oil in the 55 gallon containers come from the same 1,000 gallon containers.
I agree with you except I have seen the technician in rare occasions pull the wrong line from the ceiling. Then who knows what you got.
Old 07-30-2022, 09:44 AM
JerryU
E-Ray, 3LZ, ZER, LIFT
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 9,647 Likes on 6,646 Posts

I am surprised that they get the ESP Mobil 1 oil in 55-gallon drums. May be what someone said BECAUSE THEY BUY OTHER OIL FOR THE OIL CHANGE BAY THAT WAY!

Unless they do a lot of Corvettes expect what happened to many and I was quoted by the large Chevy dealer in town when I asked. They do have a 0W-40 in the oil change bay in drums as it is required for many European cars. Mobil 1 0W-40 European Formula that is NOT ESP! Walmart has sold that for years at the same low price in 5-gallon jugs as all Mobil 1.

One reason I did not let the large Chevy dealer in town even do the FREE engine oil changes in my 2014 C7 Z51 or 2017 Grand Sport! Did not trust the usual Newbie Tech who works the oil change bay to 1) jack the car properly, 2) go to the parts dept and drag 8 quarts of Mobil 1 and NOT just use the oil in 55-gallon drums in the Oil Change Bay the manager bought that meet GM dexos from the cheapest vendor that fit MOST cars and trunks.

Fortunately found a small Chevy dealer with a great Corvette Tech for the C8. Last August when he changed my engine oil (at ~3500 miles after 12 months per the OLM) and changed the DCT filter and performed the GM required Flush I had to wait several days because the ESP oil was late being delivered!

Yep Tech had to Lug the oil from the Parts Department along with the DCT filter and quart of DCT fluid! Parts Dept had to order all and ESP oil was backordered! Have engine oil being changed late August for the 2nd time. Will call soon to be sure they get it in stock! Only Vettes currently use this special, expensive oil!

Last edited by JerryU; 07-30-2022 at 09:51 AM.
Old 07-30-2022, 09:47 AM
EasyElliott
Pro

Originally Posted by dvilin
I wonder if the Corvette Tech was as excited as you having to spend 2 hours with you.
The technician was so friendly and I tried to walk away several times, but he said stay. He enjoyed my old school stories from the 60s, about setting up Corvette’s for the drag strip.
Maybe you just don’t understand that some people know how to make others feel good and proud about their work.

Last edited by EasyElliott; 07-30-2022 at 09:48 AM. Reason: Spelling
The following 3 users liked this post by EasyElliott:
Cumbers (07-31-2022), Fast Dawg (07-30-2022), JerryU (07-30-2022)
Old 07-30-2022, 10:59 AM
kdlp
Pro

Received 55 Likes on 37 Posts

I wondered about the same thing having been around dealerships for 20+ years.
Old 07-30-2022, 11:37 AM
AzDave47
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 4,532 Likes on 2,610 Posts

Originally Posted by BIG Dave
With the C7 Corvettes that called for Mobil 1 5W-30 dexos oil, it was well known that many dealers used the generic 5W-30 dexos oil from 55 gallon drums to do Corvette changes rather than the Chevy recommended Mobil 1 5W-30 dexos oil. They did than on the free oil changes and then upcharged the customer for Mobil 1. Chevy even issued a letter to dealers/customers to clarify the recommended oil for C7 Corvettes was the M1 dexos oil, not the generic used in many other GM cars and Chevy reimbursed the customers on the free oil change where the dealer upcharged the customer for the M1 (I hope Chevy got the $ back from the dealers.

That is why for the C8s I raised the issue about the 55 gallon drums of supposedly Mobil 1 0W-40 ESP (now Supercar) dexos 2 oil. It is likely generic dexos 2 in the 55 gallon drums, not Mobil1. Just another way dealers will screw the customer over $5-10 difference.

Last edited by AzDave47; 07-30-2022 at 11:44 AM.
ZL-1 (07-31-2022)
Old 07-30-2022, 12:07 PM
Zymurgy

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 15,110 Likes on 6,187 Posts

Originally Posted by EasyElliott
My 2021 C8 was coming up it’s one year service, so I scheduled it with Daniels Long Chevrolet in Colorado Springs. Just before my appointment I get a text that they had to cancel my appointment. They ran out of the correct oil and it could be a 3 week wait. They also informed me that they get it in 55 gallon drums, which is not my preference.
So after a day of thinking I called Mike Maroone Chevrolet also in Colorado Springs. They said they had all in stock and could get me in at 7 AM this morning.
By mistake I went to their north location and they said they did not show an appointment. I then realized That my appointment was with their south location. I sped to the south location and arrived at 7:30 AM. No problem as they had my car on the lift in minutes. Oil and filer changed along with a side to side tire rotation. Now they tell me they have to wait until the transmission cools down. After 2 hours I go over to the Corvette technician and ask when he was going to change the transmission filter. He was dumbfounded and said he was just waiting to check the fluid level. I said what does that have to do with changing the filter. It was then they discovered that the computer deleted the filter change in error.
Now they discover they were out of the transmission filter. But, their North store had it. Due to some additional errors and a water main break between locations, the filter did not arrive until almost 4 PM. The technician got right on it and he let me watch every detail of the job. It was a great learning experience and I made good friends with the service manager as well as the new car manager. Finally at 5:30 PM my car was done. By the way they used individual quart containers of Mobil 1.
I was very upset not having lunch and spending over 10 hours there. But if I lost my temper, it would have got me nowhere. I asked the service manager if there was something he could do. He said he wouldn’t charge me for the service. I said in a nice way, that’s big of you not to charge me for a free service. He laughed, and gave me a signed letter that my next service was 50% off.

My car has 4,400 trouble free miles on it and has always performed perfectly. But I noticed that after all the updates they did, my transmission now under full throttle finds a more aggressive gear for acceleration. I spent over 2 hours with the Corvette technician and it was a great learning experience.

My wife could not understand how I did not explode. I said it would have got me nowhere and except for missing lunch, I had a real fun day.
You were right to be concerned about oil from 55 gallon drums. As others have stated, that is how dealerships get their generic Dexos 2 oil. Every Corvette I have owned had oil changes that were done with Mobil 1 quarts bottles - by the dealership.

As for the transmission gear selection, double check your mode settings - they can impact transmission aggressiveness.
ZL-1 (07-31-2022)
Old 07-30-2022, 12:43 PM
Halfmoon378
Advanced

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts

Sounds like a frustrating day for you but at least the service manager was trying to be helpful. For my C8, I have been searching for the GM part number for the external Torx Plus head bolt (there are probably 20 of them) that attach the aluminum shear plate (Chevy calls it the Lower Plate) to the chassis. This plate must be removed to replace the DCT filter. There are 3 or four different style bolts but this low profile bolt is the most used one. I have a few with the heads starting to round off and would like to replace them and mine were blue lok-tited in. Anyone of you tech guys that's friendly or has a contact with a service or parts guy at a dealer should be able to get it. My dealer wouldn't help his own mother! I suspect that sooner or later, these will become common to replace since the head is such a low profile it easy for a socket to slip off. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance!
Old 07-30-2022, 01:27 PM
RKCRLR
Le Mans Master

Received 6,200 Likes on 3,401 Posts

Originally Posted by Halfmoon378
Sounds like a frustrating day for you but at least the service manager was trying to be helpful. For my C8, I have been searching for the GM part number for the external Torx Plus head bolt (there are probably 20 of them) that attach the aluminum shear plate (Chevy calls it the Lower Plate) to the chassis. This plate must be removed to replace the DCT filter. There are 3 or four different style bolts but this low profile bolt is the most used one. I have a few with the heads starting to round off and would like to replace them and mine were blue lok-tited in. Anyone of you tech guys that's friendly or has a contact with a service or parts guy at a dealer should be able to get it. My dealer wouldn't help his own mother! I suspect that sooner or later, these will become common to replace since the head is such a low profile it easy for a socket to slip off. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance!
I got a set of these:
Amazon Amazon

While they are not marketed as low profile sockets they do have a shallow chamfer. I haven't used them yet but have looked at them and verified they don't have much of a chamfer. Also, someone let a review that they worked fine for a 2021 Corvette.
Old 07-30-2022, 01:28 PM
Fast Dawg
Le Mans Master

Received 2,530 Likes on 1,608 Posts

I like the way you handled yourself and how the dealership treated you. Looks like you have found a great place for service!
Old 07-30-2022, 10:23 PM
Halfmoon378
Advanced

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts

That special bolt is low profile head, the socket is a Torx Plus mm. I need the GM number for that bolt, I have the correct socket.
Old 07-30-2022, 10:41 PM
Vetteman Jack
Administrator

Support Corvetteforum!

Location: In a parallel universe. Currently own 2014 Stingray Coupe.
Received 19,406 Likes on 14,032 Posts
C7 of the Year - Modified Finalist 2021
MO Events Coordinator
St. Jude Co-Organizer
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-
'20-'21-'22-'23-'24
NCM Sinkhole Donor
CI 5, 8 & 11 Veteran

Good deal that you got the services done, even though it took a heck of a lot longer than you expected. And from your comments, sounds like you may have found a service department that will treat you like a valued customer.

Get notified of new replies

To Complicated Service

Quick Reply: Complicated Service