Notices
C8 General Discussion The place to discuss the next generation of Corvette.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Problem with CarPlay?

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-2022, 10:29 AM
godzilladude
Pro

Received 114 Likes on 51 Posts

Default Problem with CarPlay?

So, while driving along with the phone in my pocket at random times the music will stop, directions stop, sometimes it will also disconnect. On, off, on, off. Very frustrating. The display will say something like "can't connect on wireless". I move the phone to the cupholder, same. Plug the phone into the USB port in the console, same.

Suggestions?
Old 07-18-2022, 11:21 AM
Melvinne
Instructor

Received 207 Likes on 92 Posts

Originally Posted by godzilladude
So, while driving along with the phone in my pocket at random times the music will stop, directions stop, sometimes it will also disconnect. On, off, on, off. Very frustrating. The display will say something like "can't connect on wireless". I move the phone to the cupholder, same. Plug the phone into the USB port in the console, same.
It's likely location specific interference, either from high power radar sites or unexplained secret underground installations beaming signals across the cosmos. I know the locations in my area so well that I'll typically notify people I'm talking to that I might lose audio when I approach those locations.
Old 07-18-2022, 11:27 AM
Rapid Z
Safety Car

Received 3,608 Likes on 1,499 Posts

I recently read an article saying the last update has screwed car plays wireless syncing ability up and Google is trying to figure it out and eventually send another update.
Old 07-18-2022, 03:31 PM
Sdk8103
Pro

Received 539 Likes on 270 Posts

I haven't seen any issues with mine. How old is your phone?
The following users liked this post:
ea327 (07-19-2022)
Old 07-18-2022, 03:38 PM
newcastlegreg
Racer

Received 109 Likes on 65 Posts

So mine disconnects all the time and it is a 22 so it is wireless. If you plug your phone in to the little round port with a cable does it work any better? Rather than use car wifi
Old 07-18-2022, 04:11 PM
godzilladude
Pro

Mine is a 2022, and it has always done this. My phone is a very recent iPhone. I plugged it up to a USB port in the console, but it just ignored it. Charged the phone just dandy, but didn't switch the connection, still wanted to do it wirelessly. Is there another port to poke at?
Old 07-18-2022, 04:18 PM
Foosh
Team Owner

Received 16,669 Likes on 8,312 Posts

Originally Posted by C8Smurf
I recently read an article saying the last update has screwed car plays wireless syncing ability up and Google is trying to figure it out and eventually send another update.
Now this is a puzzling post. Nothing would surprise me w/ regard to OTA updates causing problems for some folks, but why would Google be trying to figure anything out with regard to Apple CarPlay?

Any idea where you saw/heard what you report above?
The following 3 users liked this post by Foosh:
BIG Dave (07-18-2022), mjannusch (07-18-2022), thebroz1138 (07-19-2022)
Old 07-18-2022, 04:36 PM
Bird67
Melting Slicks

Received 3,290 Likes on 1,504 Posts

Originally Posted by C8Smurf
Interesting, thanks Smurf.
Old 07-19-2022, 10:18 AM
wstaab
Drifting

Received 215 Likes on 130 Posts

Latest update this week on a 2022 HTC had disabled the WiFi connection function. This is required for Android and Apple wireless to work. I need to contact OnStar from the car to have a resolution. This is not the WiFi hot spot which is a separate function that requires a subscription.
Old 07-20-2022, 10:02 AM
Chevy Cust Svc
Race Director

Received 685 Likes on 508 Posts

Suggestions?
This is certainly not what we like to hear, godzilladude. Please know, customer satisfaction is extremely important to us. Our team would be more than happy to take a closer look into the concerns with your vehicle. To do so, please send an email to socialmedia@gm.com with ATTN: godzilladude/Corvette Forums in the subject line.

Please include your contact information, VIN, a brief description of your concern, and the name of your preferred dealership. We look forward to hearing from you. To learn more about GM’s privacy policy, please visit https://www.gm.com/privacy-statement.html.

Privacy Statement | General Motors
Your privacy is important to General Motors. This Privacy Statement addresses the personal information GM collects and how GM handles that personal information.
www.gm.com
Old 07-20-2022, 10:47 AM
Andybump
Le Mans Master

Received 3,835 Likes on 2,279 Posts

Mine is a 2022, and it has always done this. My phone is a very recent iPhone. I plugged it up to a USB port in the console, but it just ignored it. Charged the phone just dandy, but didn't switch the connection, still wanted to do it wirelessly. Is there another port to poke at?
I just tested this. Mine is set up for wireless apple carplay, and works fine. It requires both bluetooth and Wi-Fi to be enabled on the phone to initially connect. If it has connected wirelessly and then I connect with the cable, it will not automatically switch to the cable. If I disable Wi-Fi and Bluetooth on the phone (not sure if both have to be off), then connect with the cable, carplay will work with the cable. I did not have to delete anything, so when Bluetooth and Wi-Fi are on (on the phone) and the cable is removed, it will hook right up wirelessly. I can check how it is connected on the phone under the Bluteooth and Wi-Fi menus, where it show how each is connected.

Last edited by Andybump; 07-20-2022 at 02:56 PM.
Old 07-20-2022, 10:56 AM
Rapid Z
Safety Car

Received 3,608 Likes on 1,499 Posts

Originally Posted by Foosh
Now this is a puzzling post. Nothing would surprise me w/ regard to OTA updates causing problems for some folks, but why would Google be trying to figure anything out with regard to Apple CarPlay?

Any idea where you saw/heard what you report above?
Sorry that was Android auto. They are having the same issues however. I however have no issues with car play at all in my car.
Old 07-20-2022, 11:25 AM
Mike's LS3
Safety Car

Received 735 Likes on 475 Posts

Suggestions?
I had a similiar problem with streaming music while driving and the phone in the wireless charger. The music would cut off for a few seconds, then go back on and it would occur every few minutes. Phone reception was good. I turned off the car, turned off the phone and rebooted the phone, started the car and everything was fine. I believe my issue was my phone and the communication with Air Play.
Old 07-20-2022, 12:53 PM
Red Pill
Advanced

Received 81 Likes on 36 Posts

Suggestions?
If the phone is set to connect to data via wifi, the car's wifi signal may be dropping out. A couple reasons for this could be:
  1. You do not have the SXM upgraded wifi hotspot package. The phone may be connecting to the car's wifi that is not active, causing a loss of service as it switches between cell and wifi radios.
  2. The phone is paired to the car's wifi and the signal is blocked by something like heavy tree coverage.
You can disable wifi on the phone to force it into cellular data mode. This is helpful to test if the car is experiencing wifi communication issues. Putting the phone into cellular data mode will isolate it from the car, allowing you to stream Apple Car Play music via Bluetooth (or via USB if desired). If the problem still persists, try rebooting the phone.
Old 07-21-2022, 08:47 AM
Andybump
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by Red Pill
............You can disable wifi on the phone to force it into cellular data mode. ............... Putting the phone into cellular data mode will isolate it from the car, allowing you to stream Apple Car Play music via Bluetooth (or via USB if desired). If the problem still persists, try rebooting the phone.
Not sure what you meant by "steam Apple Car Play music via Bluetooth" with Wi-Fi disabled. With Wi-Fi disabled on my phone, and Bluetooth enabled, I can stream music to the car via Bluetooth, and play it thought the speakers in the car, but its not Apple Car Play. On my 2021, wireless Apple Car Play will not work at all if Wi-Fi is disabled. A message will come up on both the i-phone and the infotainment screen asking be to enable Wi-Fi for Apple Car Play to work. With those disabled, it will connect using the cable and support Apple Car Play that way. Both Bluetooth and Wi-Fi must be enabled on the phone for a wireless Apple Car Play to work. It first connects via Bluetooth, then it switches to Wi-Fi and actually disconnects Bluetooth. I know this because I have watched the connections on the i-phone menu.
Old 07-25-2022, 09:19 AM
godzilladude
Pro

So, after further test-driving, and reading the manual (WHAT?!), I found:
1. It does indeed require both wifi and bluetooth to run CarPlay wirelessly. I don't understand why they would do that. I suppose the Maps need constant data from the web, while the music just needs bluetooth.
2. The issue is location specific for me. That is, depends where the car is at. I have one stretch of road not far from my house where the connection ALWAYS goes out.
3. Where I place the phone, and which orientation, in the car doesn't seem to matter in anyway.
4. As said before, to use a cable, I have to first shut the car off, which is tedious. This is Texas, it is HOT, and when I get in the car the absolute first thing I do is start it, to get the AC running. Having to wait while I wire up the phone, not helpful.
5. GM is obviously aware of the issue, as the manual specifically says it is possible to occasionally suffer "wifi interference" while using CarPlay. Why they allow the car's wifi to continuously roam around looking for other signals, and then attempting to hook to them while disconnecting from the phone on its own, seems strange. You would think it would just lock into your phone's wifi and be done. I suppose this is some kind of security issue, so they can access the car at any time, maybe.
Anyway, reportin'.
Old 07-25-2022, 09:22 AM
Melvinne
Instructor

Received 207 Likes on 92 Posts

So, after further test-driving, and reading the manual (WHAT?!), I found:
1. It does indeed require both wifi and bluetooth to run CarPlay wirelessly. I don't understand why they would do that. I suppose the Maps need constant data from the web, while the music just needs bluetooth.
Partially correct, Bluetooth is needed to sync up CarPlay, after which the connection switches over to WiFi for wireless CarPlay. At that point, all data is transferred via the WiFi signal. Bluetooth is not used for audio, it is 100% lossless via WiFi (though may be downsamples to 44.1/16 depending on head unit limitations).

2. The issue is location specific for me. That is, depends where the car is at. I have one stretch of road not far from my house where the connection ALWAYS goes out.
This is usually right, radar and other interference at specific locations. Nothing you can do about it.

Anyway, reportin'.
Thanks for following up!
The following users liked this post:
Andybump (07-25-2022)

Get notified of new replies

To Problem with CarPlay?

Old 07-25-2022, 10:45 AM
robob
Racer

Received 126 Likes on 74 Posts

Mine works in the wireless charging spot between the seats. Using Bluetooth. WiFi is on but not connected to anything. I will try to remember to turn off the WiFi and see what happens. My Onstar trial has expired. Not sure if I have driven since that happen.

iPhone 13 Pro Max. Has been on IOS 15.5, now on 15.6. I have not tried the Car Play on 15.6.

Robert
Old 07-25-2022, 12:27 PM
godzilladude
Pro

Originally Posted by Melvinne
Partially correct, Bluetooth is needed to sync up CarPlay, after which the connection switches over to WiFi for wireless CarPlay. At that point, all data is transferred via the WiFi signal. Bluetooth is not used for audio, it is 100% lossless via WiFi (though may be downsamples to 44.1/16 depending on head unit limitations).

This is usually right, radar and other interference at specific locations. Nothing you can do about it.

Thanks for following up!
And it gets better! Had a long chat with the GM Connectivity Center, and we went through several gyrations, about 30 minutes of effort, Ended up un-pairing the phone to the car, restarting the phone, car off for five minutes. re-pairing the phone to the car, about five tries to reconnect CarPlay, trying to connect on just bluetooth, as she instructed. Sure enough, once Carplay was going, the bluetooth disconnected from the car, wireless connected on its own, and everything worked MUCH better. My favorite dead space locations simply weren't dead anymore.

But hey! It's working better. I'll likely never be able to repeat that convoluted process, but we are better for the moment.
The following 2 users liked this post by godzilladude:
Melvinne (07-25-2022), R23HTC (07-25-2022)
Old 07-25-2022, 02:18 PM
Andybump
Le Mans Master

And it gets better! Had a long chat with the GM Connectivity Center, and we went through several gyrations, about 30 minutes of effort, Ended up un-pairing the phone to the car, restarting the phone, car off for five minutes. re-pairing the phone to the car, about five tries to reconnect CarPlay, trying to connect on just bluetooth, as she instructed. Sure enough, once Carplay was going, the bluetooth disconnected from the car, wireless connected on its own, and everything worked MUCH better. My favorite dead space locations simply weren't dead anymore.

But hey! It's working better. I'll likely never be able to repeat that convoluted process, but we are better for the moment.
That is exactly how mine works. And, each time I get in the car, both Bluetooth and Wi-Fi must be enabled to establish the connection that will support Car Play. If all works right ,it will happen seamlessly, every time I turn the car on with my phone nearby - it will connect initially by Bluetooth, then Wi-Fi, and Bluetooth will disconnect, as you described. If I enter the car with my phone WiFi enabled, but with the Bluetooth disabled on the phone, it will not connect to support Car Play. As soon as I turn BT on, it then connects, establishes the WiFi connection, disconnects BT - and the Car Play button is active.

Quick Reply: Problem with CarPlay?