Notices
C8 General Discussion The place to discuss the next generation of Corvette.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What Would You Do

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2022, 10:15 PM
brocco
Pro

Received 286 Likes on 163 Posts
Default What Would You Do

Car at the dealer for a few days waiting on parts, they’ve been keeping me informed as to the status of parts. Dealer is close by so I’ve driven by from time to time just to make sure the car is kept inside. This afternoon took a ride noticed it was outside, no big deal thinking they’d move it in later. On a whim I drove by after dinner and noticed it was still outside in an unsecured lot, dealer was closed. Noticed the mirrors weren’t folded and sure enough was able to open the door only to see my key fob in the open cup holder, also notice a water bottle on the passenger seat, car was rained on and interior wasn’t as clean as when I dropped it off. I’m pissed to say the least. I locked the car took the keys and came home. Don’t want to put anyones job jeopardy but WTF. 1st thought is to go there in the morning and get the Service Advisor and Service Manager in a room and ask them for “ their best story” then rip them a new one. They have serviced all my Vette’s without issue
How would you handle this ?
Old 07-12-2022, 10:26 PM
gr8diver
Racer

Received 97 Likes on 74 Posts

They might not know whats going on...id find out first and let them know they owe an interior/exterior detail job when the repairs are completed.
Old 07-12-2022, 10:27 PM
davecallaway
Intermediate

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Why would the car be moved around if you are still waiting for parts to be delivered? With a water bottle on the seat I think your car was taken for a joy ride. Did you check the mileage on the car when you locked it up vs the mileage on the paperwork when you dropped it off? Sounds fishy to me.
The following users liked this post:
jwt1603 (07-13-2022)
Old 07-12-2022, 10:31 PM
NextOne
Melting Slicks

Received 1,046 Likes on 645 Posts

Originally Posted by brocco
Car at the dealer for a few days waiting on parts, they’ve been keeping me informed as to the status of parts. Dealer is close by so I’ve driven by from time to time just to make sure the car is kept inside. This afternoon took a ride noticed it was outside, no big deal thinking they’d move it in later. On a whim I drove by after dinner and noticed it was still outside in an unsecured lot, dealer was closed. Noticed the mirrors weren’t folded and sure enough was able to open the door only to see my key fob in the open cup holder, also notice a water bottle on the passenger seat, car was rained on and interior wasn’t as clean as when I dropped it off. I’m pissed to say the least. I locked the car took the keys and came home. Don’t want to put anyones job jeopardy but WTF. 1st thought is to go there in the morning and get the Service Advisor and Service Manager in a room and ask them for “ their best story” then rip them a new one. They have serviced all my Vette’s without issue
How would you handle this ?
Gross negligence to leave any car unlocked with the keys in it. I'd have a meeting first thing in the morning with the Service Manager and let him know such.
jwt1603 (07-13-2022)
Old 07-12-2022, 10:32 PM
brocco
Pro

Definite detail job
i thought the same thing about a possible joy ride
Old 07-12-2022, 10:47 PM
brocco
Pro

NextOne, that was my 1st thought to go there in the AM and pull the Service Advisor and Manager in an office and say “Give me your best story”
Old 07-12-2022, 11:26 PM
16falcon
Drifting

Received 1,168 Likes on 624 Posts
St. Jude Donor '21

Let us know what their “best story” turns out to be.
Old 07-12-2022, 11:51 PM
JABCAT
Race Director

Received 8,896 Likes on 4,284 Posts
2020 C6 of the Year Winner - Modified

Oh no, the car was rained on - really?. Guess what it gets rained on sitting outside at Bowling Green as well. They are under no obligation to keep your car inside if it is not being worked on, and they don't owe you a detail or anything or anything for that matter.

Now the vehicle being left unlocked with the key inside does warrant a conversation with the dealership management. Bring the car back when the parts arrive & they are able to perform the necessary work. There doesn't seem to be any reason for the vehicle to be there in the first place if the parts aren't available.
Old 07-13-2022, 12:25 AM
Avanti
Race Director

Received 5,239 Likes on 3,472 Posts

I had a similar experience with another brand. The "lot" wasn't secured, so when I found it thusly I drove it home, never contacted them, and never went back... simple. If you couldn't get your Vette out of the lot I'd have taken pictures/video and gone directly with it all to whomever is physically in-charge of the facility the next morning, then to whomever/wherever are the corporate biggies--yeah, and I've done that, too. Research has suggested that about 10% of any profession are incompetent, perhaps your dealership is on the high end.
Old 07-13-2022, 03:56 AM
brocco
Pro

Originally Posted by JABCAT
Oh no, the car was rained on - really?. Guess what it gets rained on sitting outside at Bowling Green as well. They are under no obligation to keep your car inside if it is not being worked on, and they don't owe you a detail or anything or anything for that matter.

Now the vehicle being left unlocked with the key inside does warrant a conversation with the dealership management. Bring the car back when the parts arrive & they are able to perform the necessary work. There doesn't seem to be any reason for the vehicle to be there in the first place if the parts aren't available.
You sound like such a pleasant person

Thank You Sir May I Have Another
Old 07-13-2022, 08:42 AM
Sub Driver
Banned Scam/Spammer

Received 3,772 Likes on 1,467 Posts

You asked for opinions...

I agree with him. Being rained on outside is nothing, you arent entitled to anything from that. The real issue is being left unlocked with keys in the car.
The following 3 users liked this post by Sub Driver:
bluman (07-13-2022), CamALot (07-13-2022), ZR1Bob (07-13-2022)
Old 07-13-2022, 08:47 AM
tsigwing
Burning Brakes

Received 977 Likes on 420 Posts

PDR set to record? I would check it.
Old 07-13-2022, 09:02 AM
Thunder22
Team Owner

Received 2,312 Likes on 1,457 Posts

guaranteed that the response will be "sorry sir, it was a mistake"

and then crickets.
Old 07-13-2022, 09:05 AM
srobert910
Burning Brakes

Received 1,138 Likes on 466 Posts

Originally Posted by Avanti
I had a similar experience with another brand. The "lot" wasn't secured, so when I found it thusly I drove it home, never contacted them, and never went back... simple. If you couldn't get your Vette out of the lot I'd have taken pictures/video and gone directly with it all to whomever is physically in-charge of the facility the next morning, then to whomever/wherever are the corporate biggies--yeah, and I've done that, too. Research has suggested that about 10% of any profession are incompetent, perhaps your dealership is on the high end.
wow, did they ever contact you? Did they report the car as stolen? What happened?
Old 07-13-2022, 09:07 AM
NJMikeC8
Pro

Received 303 Likes on 145 Posts
2023 C8 of the Year Finalist - Modified

In the 20+ years I've owned Vettes in New Jersey I have dealt with 4 Chevrolet dealerships for service. Without naming names, only one was what I would consider good and even they weren't perfect.

I think you definitely have reason to question why your car was left unlocked with a water bottle on the seat, but whatever the explanation is, I wouldnt't use that dealer again.

I believe that the issue you faced is what many of us have come to accept. Namely that our cars cost the same as BMWs, Mercedes and Lexus, but our dealership is Chevrolet and Chevrolet will always cater to a lower price point customer 75% of the time. We will always expect better treatment, but rarely receive it.

When my C8 is delivered, I plan to have Ciocca service the car. The Atlantic City delaership is all Vettes and from what I heard from a buddy, they treat the car and the customer right.

Good luck.
Old 07-13-2022, 09:41 AM
JABCAT
Race Director

Received 8,896 Likes on 4,284 Posts
2020 C6 of the Year Winner - Modified

I am actually a very pleasant person, who doesn't get worked up because my car was left outside and rained on. I also don't think I'm entitled to free things because of such. I know it pains people to hear, but the Corvette isn't any more special than a Silverado, Tahoe, Suburban, Blazer, etc. and as such owner's aren't entitled to any special treatment.

Originally Posted by Sub Driver
You asked for opinions...

I agree with him. Being rained on outside is nothing, you arent entitled to anything from that. The real issue is being left unlocked with keys in the car.
As I stated in my previous response, if the vehicle is drivable, there is no reason for it to be sitting at a dealership waiting on parts. The service department can call you when the parts arrive and schedule your service. Agreed the issue is the car being unlocked with the keys in it, but unless something was stolen or damaged, the owner isn't entitled to any sort of compensation for that faux pas either.
Old 07-13-2022, 09:51 AM
activevette
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 101 Likes on 51 Posts

Originally Posted by NJMikeC8
I believe that the issue you faced is what many of us have come to accept. Namely that our cars cost the same as BMWs, Mercedes and Lexus, but our dealership is Chevrolet and Chevrolet will always cater to a lower price point customer 75% of the time. We will always expect better treatment, but rarely receive it.

Good luck.
Having BMW and Mercedes I'm not any more impressed with those dealers either.
Slvrshdw (07-14-2022)

Get notified of new replies

To What Would You Do

Old 07-13-2022, 10:17 AM
ZR1Bob
Drifting

Received 600 Likes on 382 Posts

Lots of good opinions here (which you did ask for). I tend to agree with some that you should stop by the dealership and inquire politely why it was unlocked with a water bottle on the seat, the key fob in the cup holder (inviting theft or joy ride) and dirtier that when you left it. As suggested it might be a good idea to check the mileage to see if it has been driven much since drop off. Also, as suggested, why not just take it home while waiting for parts, unless there is other service needed during the wait. If you are pleasant to deal with I suspect the Service Manager would be helpful to you. He will surely recognize that he has dodged a bullet with the key left in an unlocked car. He is also likely to be happy that you brought the key back. Just my $.02. Let us know how you resolved it with the dealership. --Bob
Old 07-13-2022, 10:23 AM
NJMikeC8
Pro

Received 303 Likes on 145 Posts
2023 C8 of the Year Finalist - Modified

Originally Posted by activevette
Having BMW and Mercedes I'm not any more impressed with those dealers either.
Hmmmm, I guess it depends on the individual dealership.

My wife had a Lexus and currently a Cadillac. In both cases the service she/we experienced there was much, much better than Chevrolet. Again, I think Corvette is a luxury sports car stuck in a family vehicle oriented division of GM. Just my 2 cents.
Old 07-13-2022, 10:34 AM
CJ Willys
Le Mans Master

Received 505 Likes on 295 Posts

I’d have photographed the FOB in the car, yesterday, then driven it home. Today, text the photo to the Service Manager.
Car would never return to that dealer.

Quick Reply: What Would You Do