Notices
C8 General Discussion The place to discuss the next generation of Corvette.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Random Remote Start?

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2022, 07:25 PM
KiaTia
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Random Remote Start?

Like the title says i am having an issue trying to remote start my car. I can go out to the garage lock the car and it will start but if I am in a parking lot it is about a 50/50 chance it will start on the first time. I can go through the process and it might start on the third or forth time. Not sure if others have had this issue?

Thanks
Old 07-07-2022, 08:03 PM
BIG Dave
Le Mans Master

Received 4,684 Likes on 1,862 Posts

Do you have your fob inside a cover? Some fob covers cut down on the range of the fob.

Old 07-07-2022, 09:50 PM
KiaTia
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by BIG Dave
Do you have your fob inside a cover? Some fob covers cut down on the range of the fob.
No cover on the remote.
Old 07-08-2022, 03:52 PM
Avanti
Race Director

Received 5,239 Likes on 3,472 Posts

Just be glad it starts when it really needs to.
Old 07-08-2022, 04:08 PM
Red Mist Rulz
Race Director

Received 8,561 Likes on 4,280 Posts

I've only used remote start half a dozen times, and maybe half of those outside, but never had an issue.

Have you tried both fobs? Maybe the battery in one is weak.
Old 07-08-2022, 06:38 PM
robob
Racer

Received 126 Likes on 74 Posts

Originally Posted by KiaTia
Like the title says i am having an issue trying to remote start my car. I can go out to the garage lock the car and it will start but if I am in a parking lot it is about a 50/50 chance it will start on the first time. I can go through the process and it might start on the third or forth time. Not sure if others have had this issue?

Thanks
So the answers so far assume you are using the fob, not the app. Does it remote start with the My Chevrolet app?

Hope you find the issue,
Robert
Old 07-08-2022, 08:35 PM
CaryBob
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 345 Likes on 222 Posts

Mine starts with the fob every time in parking lots when about 100-150 feet distant. Never tried it further away than that. I only tried remote start via the app once at long distance when about 500 feet away (to locate in a crowded lot) and it worked just fine. But in every case it was line of sight or nearly so with no intervening structures or walls.

I agree with the suggestion to try the app when it doesn’t start with the fob as a way of diagnosing the issue.
Old 07-09-2022, 06:24 AM
JDSC8VETTE
Melting Slicks

Received 2,899 Likes on 1,161 Posts

I’ve started mine a few times without issue. What I do notice that’s different from my other Chevy’s is I don’t have to lock it to start it. The car can be sitting unlocked and I just press the start button and it starts. My 22 Traverse has to be locked before it will remote start and so has all my previous vehicles including a Honda.
Old 07-09-2022, 07:00 AM
CaryBob
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 345 Likes on 222 Posts

Just an off the wall possibility…

pressing the start button twice starts the car but pressing it a third time cancels the remote start.
Old 07-09-2022, 08:58 AM
Andybump
Le Mans Master

Received 3,831 Likes on 2,278 Posts

Originally Posted by JDSC8VETTE
I.... The car can be sitting unlocked and I just press the start button and it starts. .....
Yes. I did not realize that until you pointed it out here. And I just tested it on my 2021. According to the 2021 manual, the doors will lock when you do the remote start, and that is what mine does. With the car unlocked, I can activate remote start with the fob without hitting the lock button first. The car locks and starts. I notice that the wording is different for remote start for the 2023. The statement about the doors being locked during remote start was deleted. I don't know if it works differently, or its just an omission in the manual. Here are the two statements:

From the 2021 Manual it says doors will be locked during remote start - and that is what happens on my 2021:

And from the 2023 Manual, the statement about the doors being locked during remote start is missing:

Old 07-09-2022, 10:07 AM
NextOne
Melting Slicks

Received 1,046 Likes on 645 Posts

I've inadvertently remote started my 2020 at least three times. I say "at least" because that's how many times I've just happened to hear a low-frequency rumble from my detached garage and found the car running. Too easy to remote start for my liking.
Old 07-09-2022, 10:41 AM
Andybump
Le Mans Master

Received 3,831 Likes on 2,278 Posts

Originally Posted by NextOne
I've inadvertently remote started my 2020 at least three times. I say "at least" because that's how many times I've just happened to hear a low-frequency rumble from my detached garage and found the car running. Too easy to remote start for my liking.
Yeah. Same here. Accidental remote start with fob in my pocket. And I hear the rumble in my detached garage. Sort of makes that loud bark at start up a safety feature that alerts you that the engine has started.
Old 07-09-2022, 11:29 AM
ZR1Bob
Drifting

Received 600 Likes on 382 Posts

Sorry to hear you're having problems with the remote start. I still only have a C7, but its remote start works fine. I first have to press the lock button once, then press and hold the start button until the parking lights flash, then almost immediately after they flash I hear it start. Has never started inadvertently--I am surprised to hear that a couple of C8 owners have this problem--I, too, would be worried about that. Maybe the C8 no longer requires that the lock button be pushed for a start to occur, but my C7 seems to require it even if the car is already locked. You might try that sequence when starting it. And by the way I do have covers on my remotes and they do not seem to impede any actions of the remote. Good luck with a solution. --Bob
Old 07-09-2022, 01:05 PM
hdrider1
Burning Brakes

Received 510 Likes on 260 Posts

Originally Posted by Andybump
Yeah. Same here. Accidental remote start with fob in my pocket. And I hear the rumble in my detached garage. Sort of makes that loud bark at start up a safety feature that alerts you that the engine has started.
Originally Posted by NextOne
Same here. I'm thinking of opening the fob and seeing I can put tape over the contact to disable the remote start feature. It's dangerous when it inadvertently starts up in an attached garage.

Get notified of new replies

To Random Remote Start?

Quick Reply: Random Remote Start?