Notices
C8 General Discussion The place to discuss the next generation of Corvette.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Screens

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2022, 11:14 AM
blackmagicZ
Melting Slicks

Received 400 Likes on 241 Posts

Default Screens

I got an email from Chevrolet advertising these screens to protect your radiators. Apparently GM doesn’t think they will cause any overheating, so no warranty problems either.
Old 07-07-2022, 11:18 AM
Kracka
Le Mans Master

Received 5,743 Likes on 2,933 Posts

I installed them on my car; very nice product. Perfect fitment and definitely of OEM quality. Validated by Chevy for high-temp track use along with being engineered using actual GM CAD data is what sold me on them.
Old 07-07-2022, 11:19 AM
RobsVette04
Burning Brakes

Received 556 Likes on 244 Posts

Yes, they are the certified GM version...but are insanely expensive vs. other options. They all do the same thing, but I wouldn't be too worried about other brands "voiding" your warranty...you could always take them off before going to the dealer for service. I got mine from Radiator Grill Store and they are amazing, and half the cost.

Old 07-07-2022, 12:29 PM
Red Mist Rulz
Race Director

Received 8,529 Likes on 4,270 Posts

You can get much cheaper screens that also won't cause any overheating problems.
Old 07-07-2022, 03:02 PM
JerryU
E-Ray, 3LZ, ZER, LIFT
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 9,641 Likes on 6,641 Posts

^^^
Many of us used Custom Car Grill screens with half the size holes as the GM "approved" screens. They now offer a mesh with the same size IF Tracking in a Hot Environment (but you'll let in twice the size bugs ~3.5 times the area!)
My smaller 1/4-inch mesh screens have been installed for over a year and on 100-degree NE SC days with aggressive street driving (NOT TRACK) have never had coolant more than about 185 F!

They are made from thin width aluminum that is deep so the screen is ridged. Mine are black power coated. You can buy a 16" X 48" mesh sheet and cut your own as I (and many others) did. BUT you can make all 4 required for full front protection as the AC Condenser (coolant rad behind) extends into the center grill opening. You have enough to also make grills for the rear fenders if you think needed. As noted below they also offer precut screens, $69 for the two large and $99 for the 2 large and two smaller for the center. So think you only need the two large areas covered like the $399 GM "approved" screens, precut they are only $69. Or cut your own and get a buddy and cut 4 (actually could get all 8) for $69! Think you need the double size holes- same price, just more bugs and debris getting thru!

As far as professional look, I (and many) installed by removing the center grill (as required for the "approved screen" install) so the black plastic ties are hidden. Edges are behind the grill and not visible.
There have recently been some copies from China on Amazon and eBay. They lowered their price. Suggest supporting this US company and buying direct from them!
(BTW, I have no affiliation with the company, paid more than the current price a year+ ago! BUT I do have my own Internet business and use all US made raw materials, so appreciate what they have done!)
Here is a many pics/long captions PDF How To install: http://netwelding.com/CF_Splitter.pdf

Price is for Aluminum finish. I and most bought Black Power Coated now $69.

Removed Grill Bar so the black plastic wire ties used to attach are all hidden. Both install options are covered in PDF.

Last edited by JerryU; 07-07-2022 at 04:59 PM.
Old 07-07-2022, 04:13 PM
Foosh
Team Owner

Received 16,669 Likes on 8,312 Posts

The Scrape Armor screens are the only ones tested by GM, in conjunction with the folks at Spring Mt on a race track, and they are now certified as "genuine GM parts," which is stamped on the box. These screens can now be ordered as an optional accessory when ordering a C8. They have larger openings than most other aftermarket offerings, which obviously allows greater airflow, and perhaps that also had some bearing on the certification.

For street use, I'm reasonably certain that none of the other aftermarket offerings will cause cooling issues either, but with these, if you do having a cooling issue, GM can't claim it is related to your use of an unapproved aftermarket part. For some folks, the higher cost is worth it for that reason alone.
Old 07-07-2022, 04:22 PM
LT4 Z51
Instructor

Received 117 Likes on 40 Posts

The Scrape Armor front grill screens are the ONLY grill screens "approved by GM" and that have a GM PART NUMBER 19433251. I had my dealership install them before I took delivery on my 2023 Stingray Serial No. xxxx1120. Great product; dealer installed; no warranty issues.

You might not believe this if you search the parts department for that P/N because the paperwork is lagging the actual availability. My own dealership didn't believe it either because they couldn't verify it in their Parts Department. I bought my screens at the Scrape Armor website, had them sent to my dealership, and then had the dealership install them BEFORE I took delivery.
Old 07-07-2022, 05:38 PM
Sicky
Racer

Received 372 Likes on 187 Posts

I'm in BG right now taking delivery tomorrow (Delivery 2 webcam!). NCM installed the Paragon front screens for me, but declined to install the side intake screens, as they shy away from anything that could cause warranty issues.

HTH.
Old 07-07-2022, 06:34 PM
JerryU
E-Ray, 3LZ, ZER, LIFT
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 9,641 Likes on 6,641 Posts

Originally Posted by Sicky
I'm in BG right now taking delivery tomorrow (Delivery 2 webcam!). NCM installed the Paragon front screens for me, but declined to install the side intake screens, as they shy away from anything that could cause warranty issues.

HTH.
Thanks, interesting. Just looked at the Pargon front screen install video, which appears like the GM "approved" only covers the large area and not the AC Condenser/coolant rad exposed in the center grill openings. I find that interesting as the exposed area in the center grill openings is NOT insignificant. BTW, the video of removing the grill bar is very good. You'll note they used a very small ratchet as there is not much room to get your hand and wrench in that narrow area. In my PDF I showed a pic from a video of a lady installing a carbon fiber grill bar. Wondered why they used a gal and small one at that? Until I tried to access the grill bar screws and with my big hands it was not easy. She made it look like child's play!

Also, can't tell from the video the size of the openings in the Paragon aluminum mesh. But to me looks more like the small Custom Car Grill mesh I and many used versus the one about twice the size more like the GM "approved" mesh. The museum obviously thinks that is good enough to avoid warranty issues.

Funny they would think the rear side fender mesh, which is the same mesh hole size as the front Paragon, might preset a warranty issue. Frankly the Driver's Side is really blocking nothing as the large fan is only to blow air over the engine compartment. No rads etc. The passenger side would be blocking the rear coolant rad on a Z51. But it's the same size mesh that, with the AC Condenser block the front coolant rads. Perhaps the concern is there is no AC Condenser in front and more air flow is needed? They certainly have thought it thru and have good reasons. Frankly I decided not to add the rear fender screens (and I have plenty of mesh screen to make them) because there is less likelihood of a rock getting that high. Also I don't have to clean any bugs and leaves etc now as they drop down and out of the car. With the mesh installed might have to keep clean.

Just some thoughts

Last edited by JerryU; 07-07-2022 at 06:42 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Sicky (07-07-2022)

Get notified of new replies

To Screens

Quick Reply: Screens