Notices
C8 General Discussion The place to discuss the next generation of Corvette.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Software update and dead battery

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2022, 12:51 AM
Nelag
Pro

Received 188 Likes on 118 Posts
Default OTA update requires dealer repair. Thanks for nothing GM.

Did the OTA update that should only take 5 min. Well, it might have only taken 5 min., but will require hours and $$$ out of my pocket to fix. Thanks for nothing GM.
OTA update cause battery to drain and car will not start. Thankfully friends in town jump started it so we could get home. I took the battery out and to the local garage to have it charged to full capacity and checked out. Reinstalled battery and it drained dead again in 4 hours. Back to square one. Thankgoodness it is on 120 miles to the dealer I bought the car from. GM will pay me for having to bring the car in right ?

My C 8 was the first car they had ever did a transmission filter/flush on.

Welcome to the sticks of Nebraska fokes.
Old 07-06-2022, 01:11 AM
shatter
Racer

Received 250 Likes on 116 Posts
St. Jude Donor '22

Why did you start a second thread for this same problem?

(Original thread from 7/3) https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...d-battery.html
The following users liked this post:
hamta (07-06-2022)
Old 07-06-2022, 06:40 AM
BIG Dave
Le Mans Master

Received 4,684 Likes on 1,862 Posts

Originally Posted by Nelag
…It is 120 miles one way to my dealer for service to straighten out this current problem.
You have Deshler, Nebraska listed as your home town. Chevrolet lists many dealers closer to you than 120 miles:

* Alexander Motors, Superior NE - 19 miles

* Melton Motors, Belleville KS - 23 miles

* Riverside Chevrolet, Fairbury NE - 30 miles

* Friesen’s Chevrolet, Sutton NE - 32 miles

* Concordia Chevrolet, Concordia KS - 40 miles

* Jerry Spady Chevrolet, Hastings NE - 47 miles

Plus at least another 20 dealers within 90 miles of Deshler NE. Why go to a dealer 120 miles away? Hope this helps.

https://www.chevrolet.com/dealer-loc...archTerm=68340

Old 07-06-2022, 06:54 AM
BIG Dave
Le Mans Master

I’ll go one further. Here are three Certfied Corvette Dealers that are close to you:

And here’s Chevrolet’s list of Certifed Corvette Dealers in your area: https://www.chevrolet.com/dealer-loc...0&services=182

Old 07-06-2022, 07:03 AM
Kracka
Le Mans Master

Received 5,740 Likes on 2,933 Posts

Call GM Roadside, they'll cover the tow.
Old 07-06-2022, 08:12 AM
ATC
Racer

Received 72 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by Tin-can
My C8 is a ‘21 and I don’t have the headlight problem, but I am confused by the OTA updates. I took delivery of the car in July, 2021. I haven’t received any updates to date. I guess that means the software batch loaded in my C8 at the factory is PERFECT! 🤔
Mine too. Delivered September 2021 and no updates.
Old 07-06-2022, 09:41 AM
Nelag
Pro

I started a second post because post drop down to the 2nd and 3rd page quickly and I wanted to keep this problem in front of people so they don't have to go through all the hassels that I am going through.

Also I think the title of the the second post gives a better discription of the problem than my first post. I was not able to change the title of my first post, only add information if I wanted.

Through this second post I have now learned that GM Roadside might tow my car for me.

Are you happy now ?
Old 07-06-2022, 10:00 AM
Kracka
Le Mans Master

Received 5,740 Likes on 2,933 Posts

Through this second post I have now learned that GM Roadside might tow my car for me.
https://www.chevrolet.com/certified-...ide-assistance

Old 07-06-2022, 10:48 AM
Red Mist Rulz
Race Director

Received 8,520 Likes on 4,266 Posts

Did the OTA update that should only take 5 min. Well, it might have only taken 5 min., but will require hours and $$$ out of my pocket to fix. Thanks for nothing GM.
OTA update cause battery to drain and car will not start. Thankfully friends in town jump started it so we could get home. I took the battery out and to the local garage to have it charged to full capacity and checked out. Reinstalled battery and it drained dead again in 4 hours. Back to square one. Thankgoodness it is on 120 miles to the dealer I bought the car from. GM will pay me for having to bring the car in right ?

My C 8 was the first car they had ever did a transmission filter/flush on.

Welcome to the sticks of Nebraska fokes.
You have road service as part of the warranty. GM will have the car towed to a dealership.
Old 07-06-2022, 10:50 AM
Red Mist Rulz
Race Director

Received 8,520 Likes on 4,266 Posts

According to GM, the OTA isn't even supposed to run if the battery level is inadequate. There have been multiple reports of OTAs draining the battery to dead. At least two people reported the dealer needed to reflash the BCM after an OTA failed. I think those blaming this on the state of charge of the battery are looking to make excuses for GM's shitty software.
RKCRLR (07-06-2022)
Old 07-06-2022, 10:52 AM
Aviator
Le Mans Master

Received 287 Likes on 127 Posts
Cruise-In I Veteran
Cruise-In II Veteran
Cruise-In IV Veteran

Never do an update without the car being hooked up to a battery tender. Better yet, wait for the next service and have the shop to the update(s).
Old 07-06-2022, 11:01 AM
RKCRLR
Le Mans Master

Received 6,190 Likes on 3,396 Posts

Originally Posted by Aviator
Never do an update without the car being hooked up to a battery tender. Better yet, wait for the next service and have the shop to the update(s).
The battery is a 74AH battery. If the battery discharged in 4 hours it means the maintainer would have to put out at least 15 amps. Most maintainers don't have that kind of output. And the battery drained again once recharged. A battery maintainer wouldn't have prevented this problem.
The following 2 users liked this post by RKCRLR:
4thC4at60 (07-06-2022), thebroz1138 (07-06-2022)
Old 07-06-2022, 05:38 PM
BIG Dave
Le Mans Master

I started a second post because post drop down to the 2nd and 3rd page quickly and I wanted to keep this problem in front of people so they don't have to go through all the hassels that I am going through…
All you had to do was reply to this thread (some people reply with ‘TTT’ for To The Top) and it would have moved this thread to the top of the queue.
Tin-can (07-07-2022)
Old 12-16-2022, 05:30 PM
markb01
Advanced

Received 34 Likes on 21 Posts

Had the problem last night. Put my 2023 C8 (4k miles) in garage and gave OK to do an OTA update. Went back in an hour and it failed. Started update again last evening and went back this morning and battery was drained enough car would not start. Said update failed again. Have it on trickle charger now, and probably won't try to start it again till tomorrow.

I'm guessing car kept trying to do update, failed and kept trying and drained battery.

Fun part was after an hour or so on trickle charger, I got a text message from Chevrolet that said I had battery problems.

Diagnostic Alert: The battery in your 2023 Corvette is critically low. Start vehicle to charge. Txt STOP to cancel.
Old 12-16-2022, 06:37 PM
Nelag
Pro

When I tried up date and my battery was drained dead. The GM trickle charger was not strong enough to charge the battery. I need a "regular" battery charger to get battery strong enough to start car so we could get into N and loaded on the truck to be taken to dealer. Dealer updated and put in new battery.

I have a notice that I need another update. I will drive it to a dealer and do up date there, in case I need to leave the car.
Old 12-16-2022, 06:56 PM
markb01
Advanced

Received 34 Likes on 21 Posts

When I tried up date and my battery was drained dead. The GM trickle charger was not strong enough to charge the battery. I need a "regular" battery charger to get battery strong enough to start car so we could get into N and loaded on the truck to be taken to dealer. Dealer updated and put in new battery.

I have a notice that I need another update. I will drive it to a dealer and do up date there, in case I need to leave the car.
After about 5 hours I was able to start the car just using trickle charger. I am now getting an engine warning light, but I'm betting it will clear. At least I can now get it to dealer if needed. Will be trickle charging it all night though..
Old 12-16-2022, 08:36 PM
popbigguy
Instructor

Received 48 Likes on 18 Posts

If you could start the car,,, why did you have to load it on a truck? Could've you drove it to the dealer? That would've helped charge the battery.

Get notified of new replies

To Software update and dead battery

Old 12-16-2022, 10:35 PM
Nelag
Pro

Why take the chance of problems on the way. Dealer is 132 miles one way. Were you going to give me a ride home ? Tow cost me nothing.
Zormecteon (12-17-2022)
Old 12-16-2022, 11:09 PM
solteroblues
Instructor

Received 130 Likes on 64 Posts

Went through this earlier this week. I was waiting on a tow to be ordered and out of the blue pushing the start button one more time cranked it. Before that pressing the button did absolutely nothing. I had disconnected the battery for 10 minutes, tried jump starting. Autozone was across the street and they came over to test the battery and said it was at 60%, but not even the instrument cluster would show anything other than the park indicator. No animation or anything. But one time more and it cranked like nothing was wrong.
Old 12-17-2022, 05:57 PM
oregonsharkman
Melting Slicks

Received 938 Likes on 364 Posts

My 2021 Z51 HTC has had no issues (8 months) until today. OTA showed up as recommended when I came home from a drive. I was cautious and put the car on a battery tender before I selected "install" and shut the door.

This afternoon (next day) the car is dead. I cannot open the doors, frunk or trunk. Luckily, I connected it to a tender, but even with it connected overnight (smart tender) it said "battery dead - replace battery". I reset it a couple hours ago and left it on charge - fingers crossed.

Quick Reply: Software update and dead battery