Notices
C8 General Discussion The place to discuss the next generation of Corvette.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How do we report dealers for marked up MSRP?

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-2022, 08:41 PM
wrecker3
Melting Slicks

Received 1,474 Likes on 744 Posts

There is a local Chevy Dealer by me that has a used 2022 C8 HTC that has a MSRP 96,250.00 and is asking 126,900.00.
Old 07-01-2022, 03:09 AM
SS327
Cruising

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have nothing against a markup. After all the dealers have salesmen to pay, lights to turn on, porters to pay, office people to pay, franchise fees, taxes on building, rent or mortgage to pay and dozens of other things most people can’t fathom.
I do have a problem with the adjusted price however. That is just pure greed that is going straight into the dealer owners pockets. There is no good reason for it. And it establishes a bad prescident.
The other question is does GM or any other manufacturer care? No, they don’t. It actually is good advertising for that model of car. Just look at us idiots talking about it right now. I’ll bet other boards are having this very same conversation right now. So NO GM is not going to do anything about it!
Old 07-01-2022, 06:09 AM
JerryU
E-Ray, 3LZ, ZER, LIFT
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 9,643 Likes on 6,643 Posts

^^^
Yep, GM has zero control over used car sales.
Old 07-01-2022, 10:54 AM
IGTGI22!
Melting Slicks

Received 370 Likes on 195 Posts

Why do we need to report dealers with markups over the suggested price?

Did we report them when they were making markdowns under the suggested price?
The following 2 users liked this post by IGTGI22!:
JerryU (07-01-2022), Kevin A Jones (07-01-2022)
Old 07-01-2022, 11:06 AM
Caymanspyder
Burning Brakes

Received 708 Likes on 317 Posts

Originally Posted by CorvetteRL
Hey guys. Like you all, I'm sick of the "Market Adjustments" - How do we report the dealers to someone that matters?
Any contact information out there?
The local dealer has a $45,000 market adjustment!!!!
I talked to them at length and they said, "If you bought the car at MSRP, you could make $$ on it tomorrow"
Heaven forbid the common folk be able to make money! No, they see that we cannot.
I just want a C8 to KEEP and not sell!
So frustrated!
Will all due respect, There is Absolutely nothing you can do, you can report all you want and nothing will be done, EVERY manufacturer is doing it. SUPPLY AND DEMAND, THIS IS THE WAY IT IS NOW!!!! Good luck buying a KIA at retail let alone the hottest selling car...lol
Old 07-01-2022, 02:04 PM
legacypgmr
Pro

Received 78 Likes on 59 Posts

Originally Posted by JerryU
Yep, early on in fact! Was a dealer in the Western Part of the State where OP and I live who had several for sale at high prices. Fellow in the CC where I live knew the dealer (where he bought his C7.) Dealer was having friends order so he could get them then to say they didn't want them when they came in. GM's NOT stupid the understand the situation and cut his allocation of C8's. How long I don't know.
May I ask how you know GM cut this dealer's allocation ?

TIA
Old 07-01-2022, 02:12 PM
legacypgmr
Pro

Originally Posted by See8
Doesn't have to be frustrating. There is no shortage of dealers selling C8s at MSRP, and there is a list of them on this forum if you care to search.
Are those dealers who are willing to take a deposit @ MSRP AND, when the "time comes", actually deliver it @ MSRP ?

Or dealers that actually HAVE cars and are willing to sell them @ MSRP "right now" ?

I'm assuming the former but, since I think you'd have posted a link to this list if you had one, mind at least telling us the search criteria so we can do our own search ?

TIA

Old 07-01-2022, 02:14 PM
legacypgmr
Pro

Originally Posted by CorvetteRL
Coastal Chevrolet in Pawleys Island

https://www.coastalsaves.net/new-vehicles/corvette/

Sorry OP, but what's your point ?
Old 07-01-2022, 03:55 PM
JerryU
E-Ray, 3LZ, ZER, LIFT
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by legacypgmr
May I ask how you know GM cut this dealer's allocation ?

TIA
Was a dealer in the other end or the State where a freind in our CC bought his C7. Had several for sale that he had friends order the car and then didn't buy when they came in. GM's not stupid!
Old 07-01-2022, 04:43 PM
Red Mist Rulz
Race Director

Received 8,538 Likes on 4,274 Posts

Are those dealers who are willing to take a deposit @ MSRP AND, when the "time comes", actually deliver it @ MSRP ?

Or dealers that actually HAVE cars and are willing to sell them @ MSRP "right now" ?

I'm assuming the former but, since I think you'd have posted a link to this list if you had one, mind at least telling us the search criteria so we can do our own search ?

TIA
The former. I doubt you'll find any dealer that has a C8 on the lot who isn't marking up at least a bit. Even the big forum dealers do that.

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...ock-units.html
Old 07-02-2022, 11:05 AM
Walter Raulerson
Melting Slicks

Received 527 Likes on 355 Posts

The guy here marked up a '22 from $84,000 to $112,000
Old 07-02-2022, 11:46 PM
legacypgmr
Pro

Was a dealer in the other end or the State where a freind in our CC bought his C7. Had several for sale that he had friends order the car and then didn't buy when they came in. GM's not stupid!
You already told that story.

I agree GM's not stupid.

But I asked how you knew the dealer had his allocation cut.
Old 07-03-2022, 07:35 AM
JerryU
E-Ray, 3LZ, ZER, LIFT
Support Corvetteforum!

^^^
What would you like an affidavit of my conversation with the friend in our CC who told me the story re the dealer he knows where he bought his C7?

SIDEBAR
Don't expect GM to advertise where they do it. They are not going to make them wear a big "A" or put same on their store front!!

When we formed our levered buyout welding business from the largest industrial gas company (where they had >50% of the very profitable argon production capacity in the US and Canada) we did some things with the distributors who had old, very detailed agreements that could have dragged us into court! BUT we cut off a few who bought all their industrial gases from our prior company as the agreements said "if you buy any other industrial gas than ours we can cancel our agreement." Distributors were careful not to do that for industrial gases; argon, acetylene, oxygen etc. However, the wording could be interpreted as they also had the right to buy our welding/cutting equipment and welding filler materials. It was spelled out with names like Oxweld, Purox, Prest-O-Lite, Heliarc (all our trademarks.)

We cut off some buying parts of our product line, some >$100,000 annually because the cherry picked our products and bought the majority of profitable ones to us from competitors. Their business with our product went to a competing distributor we signed. Could have been dragged through the courts BUT were careful on how it was done! We never said a thing, but the word spread quickly to the distributor network. Worked for us and helped get more sales through the original very large distributor network we retained for the time we were that separated business. Yep, working with distributors with signed agreements is tricky.

Last edited by JerryU; 07-03-2022 at 07:44 AM.
Old 07-03-2022, 09:06 AM
Kevin A Jones
Race Director

Received 11,778 Likes on 5,625 Posts

Yes, you can rest assured that if you get on Criswell or MacMulkin wait list you will get a C8 in the approx time they estimate and at the pre-agreed upon price (Criswell MSRP +$550 doc fee / MacMulkin MSRP). Neither play games and deliver what they promise.

Not saying you can't, however your chances are close to wining a lottery.

TIA
Good Luck
Old 07-03-2022, 01:14 PM
legacypgmr
Pro

^^^
What would you like an affidavit of my conversation with the friend in our CC who told me the story re the dealer he knows where he bought his C7?

SIDEBAR
Don't expect GM to advertise where they do it. They are not going to make them wear a big "A" or put same on their store front!!
You'd said "Fellow in the CC where I live knew the dealer (where he bought his C7.) Dealer was having friends order so he could get them then to say they didn't want them when they came in."

Sorry. That wasn't clear, to me anyway, that it was this same friend who told you the dealer had his allocations cut.

OK, so you heard it from a friend. Got it. Thanks.

And of course, I wouldn't expect GM to "advertise" it. I also wouldn't expect the dealer to be telling someone, even a friend, that his allocation had been cut for shenanigans - but whatever.

I would wonder, however, how GM found out it was the dealer's "friends" who were ordering the car, waiting for it to be delivered, and then canceling so the dealer could cash in.

I mean surely the dealer didn't use the same friends' names over and over,,,,,,,,,,,,, or did they ?
Old 07-03-2022, 01:50 PM
JerryU
E-Ray, 3LZ, ZER, LIFT
Support Corvetteforum!

I would wonder, however, how GM found out it was the dealer's "friends" who were ordering the car, waiting for it to be delivered, and then canceling so the dealer could cash in.
Don't know how it was done BUT he had several in inventory at a high asking price. When a dealer places an order for a build it is attached to a customer or his inventory. I know that for the C7 when it was new GM was NOT filling dealer inventory orders only cars slated for customers.

So if one comes in and the "customer" does want it, it's NEW and belongs to the dealer. That is visible to GM. Partly how the make their recommendation on what a dealer Should Buy, Camaro's Silverado's' etc each buy period! That is every 2 weeks with the Vette now every month. Allocations are part of that equation. NOT hard it's done by computer based on prior sales of those models etc.

This is how I know that 1st hand for the early C7s! Kerbeck, where I bought my C6, 2017 Grand Sport and C8, was not taking hold-a-spot orders when the 2014 C7 when it was launched at the Detroit order show ~January 2013. I asked! So I bought from the only dealer that I found that would put in writing it would be at MSRP, which neither of us knew what that would be. Didn't find that out until ~May 2013.

When my car came in it was a few days before my wife could drive me the 125 miles to Carry NC. When we walked in the showroom there was my car! A salesman, who had no idea who we were, was discussing my car with a potential buyer. Recall fellow asked to sit in it and was told it's a customer's car we don't even have the keys!

When talking with the sales manager, he said he was frustrated as he could not buy one for his inventory and when my car was pulled out of the showroom, he had nothing to show potential customers. GM was not filing dealer inventory orders at that time only end customer orders! They are one of Hendrick's large dealerships!

There is currently a Chevy Dealer in Myrtle Beach (opposite end of the state) that advertises he has several new C8s in stock, all at high prices. GM knows that and he probably gets his allocation for new Vettes cut.

Last edited by JerryU; 07-03-2022 at 01:56 PM.
Old 07-03-2022, 03:31 PM
zrracer
Drifting

Received 187 Likes on 139 Posts
C6 of Year Finalist (performance mods) 2019
St. Jude Donor '11, '14

Default New dealer trick.

I went to a local dealer yesterday. A smallish one.
they wanted 2 k down. Non refundable and a wait of maybe 3 ish + years.
the salesman was serious. I politely told him I needed to think about it. He told me not to wait to long as the list was getting longer.

Get notified of new replies

To How do we report dealers for marked up MSRP?

Old 07-04-2022, 08:16 PM
legacypgmr
Pro

Don't know how it was done.
Thanks.
Old 08-19-2023, 09:46 AM
CorvetteRL
Lifetime Vette Lover
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 17 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Kevin A Jones
You haven't offended me at all.
I was just pointing out to you that if you want a C8 it's much more productive to either decide to purchase one off dealer lot and pay what it costs, or be patience waiting 10-12 months to purchase one at MSRP.
Whining on a forum and reporting a dealer to GM for not selling a C8 that the dealer owns to you at MSRP is not productive and will not get you C8.
Just bought a C8 HTC for $2000 under sticker. Apparently I understand after all. Just wait until the market shifts and here we are!!!
Old 08-19-2023, 11:18 AM
IGTGI22!
Melting Slicks

Received 370 Likes on 195 Posts

Just wondering, who was the important person everyone reported it to when C6 and C7 prices were 20% UNDER MSRP?

It would be that same person.

Quick Reply: How do we report dealers for marked up MSRP?