Notices
C8 General Discussion The place to discuss the next generation of Corvette.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Got hit on my c8 :(

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2022, 11:49 AM
Rdfxcln
Intermediate

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Foosh
It's not too new because we are in the 4th MY now. I think it's more a matter of sales prices for used C8s above MSRP up until this point at least. Thus, there is no evidence of diminished value for used C8 sales. I'd expect a well-repaired C8 that was a victim of damage inflicted at low speed would sell for at least MSRP.
Mine is a 2022 so nothing comes up if I run it through like KBB for instance.

Yea one of the arguments was since market values are so high there's no loss of value to me...which is playing dumb because the gap in value will always be there wherever the market is.
Old 06-29-2022, 11:51 AM
Rdfxcln
Intermediate

Originally Posted by ZEEEE06
Insurance companies will fight you tooth and nail on diminished value claims. Find a lawyer who does diminished value claims. You can also claim loss of use for the time that the vehicle was in the repair shop.
Doubt this will hold since I got their rental thing for the entire time it was at the shop.
Old 06-29-2022, 11:52 AM
progtp
Burning Brakes

Received 1,370 Likes on 469 Posts

My apologies, upon second look I believe that is the front bumper reinforcement bar pictures in blue.

The following users liked this post:
sikkvettec6 (06-29-2022)
Old 06-29-2022, 11:59 AM
sikkvettec6
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Zormecteon
I hope you got it recorded somehow that he's taking the blame, or a witness who saw... A good insurance agent on HIS part would say that YOU rear ended him. After all, why would he be backing up at a stop light. ... ... YOU hit HIM and now his back, and neck are sore!
there’s a police report and what not. He got a ticket for it . He admitted to it to the police .
Old 06-29-2022, 12:03 PM
TBIRD57
Race Director

Received 235 Likes on 178 Posts

Originally Posted by PuffC8
Definitely a trailer hitch. Hope you had your PDR on...
Sorry though. I know the feeling, I'm in the same boat right now with mine. I was rear ended a few weeks back. C8 was not even 2 months old

BTW what front splitter is that? Is it the C7Carbon splitter?
terrible feeling of getting a C8 damaged through no fault of your own
sikkvettec6 (06-29-2022)
Old 06-29-2022, 01:14 PM
Foosh
Team Owner

Received 16,669 Likes on 8,312 Posts

Originally Posted by Rdfxcln
Mine is a 2022 so nothing comes up if I run it through like KBB for instance.

Yea one of the arguments was since market values are so high there's no loss of value to me...which is playing dumb because the gap in value will always be there wherever the market is.
The purpose of "diminished value" claims is to make a customer financially whole. My guess is the first thing the insurance company will ask for is a copy of the bill of sale. Anyone who paid MSRP is going to have tough time claiming that as a result of the accident they are going to lose money. In this case, we'd likely be talking about "diminished profit."
The following 4 users liked this post by Foosh:
jbc1995fb (06-29-2022), rudolph schenker (06-30-2022), sikkvettec6 (06-29-2022), Skid Row Joe (06-29-2022)
Old 06-29-2022, 02:27 PM
ZEEEE06
Safety Car

Location: PERCUSSIVE MAINTENANCE: The art of whacking the crap out of an electronic device to get it to work.
Received 744 Likes on 294 Posts

Originally Posted by Rdfxcln
Doubt this will hold since I got their rental thing for the entire time it was at the shop.
Was your rental thing for a 2022 Corvette?
Old 06-29-2022, 02:51 PM
JD'S WHITE 93
Le Mans Master

Received 1,338 Likes on 675 Posts

I’m sorry, that sucks…. Make sure you get diminished value too.
sikkvettec6 (06-29-2022)
Old 06-29-2022, 06:16 PM
Skid Row Joe
Team Owner

Received 4,009 Likes on 2,890 Posts

Beautiful wheel choice !! 👍 GL with a complete repair.
Attached Images  
sikkvettec6 (06-29-2022)
Old 06-29-2022, 07:43 PM
Rdfxcln
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Foosh
The purpose of "diminished value" claims is to make a customer financially whole. My guess is the first thing the insurance company will ask for is a copy of the bill of sale. Anyone who paid MSRP is going to have tough time claiming that as a result of the accident they are going to lose money. In this case, we'd likely be talking about "diminished profit."
If you sell your car down the road it's turn back to diminished value.
Old 06-29-2022, 07:45 PM
Rdfxcln
Intermediate

Originally Posted by ZEEEE06
Was your rental thing for a 2022 Corvette?
No their insurance just paid for basic rental from any car rental company.
Old 06-29-2022, 09:34 PM
jjsaustin
Pro

Received 460 Likes on 205 Posts

I'm not sure how they can say there is no diminished value. If you had two of the same cars and one was in an accident, which one would you buy?
PuffC8 (06-29-2022)
Old 06-29-2022, 10:49 PM
Vetteman Jack
Administrator

Support Corvetteforum!

Location: In a parallel universe. Currently own 2014 Stingray Coupe.
Received 19,447 Likes on 14,053 Posts
C7 of the Year - Modified Finalist 2021
MO Events Coordinator
St. Jude Co-Organizer
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-
'20-'21-'22-'23-'24
NCM Sinkhole Donor
CI 5, 8 & 11 Veteran

Sorry to see the damage done to your car. Thankfully the other driver stayed there so you could get the insurance info. Hope you do find a quality body shop and your car can be properly repaired.
sikkvettec6 (06-29-2022)
Old 06-30-2022, 12:43 AM
Iflyforual
Racer

Received 187 Likes on 94 Posts

Go after them for loss of use. My C7 z06 what is totaled by another driver and I received full rental monies for renting a similar model which happened to be a grand sport, (that’s the only similar model I can find no one rents a Z06). Obviously renting a grand sport on a daily basis is extremely expensive and I had no problem collecting that money until my payout for my totaled vehicle.

The payouts for the totaled vehicle happens fairly quickly but in my case my loss of use was still equal about 6K!

Old 06-30-2022, 01:53 AM
PuffC8
Pro

Received 588 Likes on 298 Posts

Originally Posted by Iflyforual
Go after them for loss of use. My C7 z06 what is totaled by another driver and I received full rental monies for renting a similar model which happened to be a grand sport, (that’s the only similar model I can find no one rents a Z06). Obviously renting a grand sport on a daily basis is extremely expensive and I had no problem collecting that money until my payout for my totaled vehicle.

The payouts for the totaled vehicle happens fairly quickly but in my case my loss of use was still equal about 6K!
did you actually rent the grand sport? Or you’re saying that you just did the math on a similar vehicle and showed them the total and proof and they paid? Cause with my c8 being in the shop for the last 2 weeks and still another month to go roughly, they said they could give me a rental even though I don’t need one. Problem is they said it doesn’t have to be comparable and that they aren’t required for it to be. So I have no reason to go an get a Toyota Corolla on their dime. I always heard that the rental had to be something comparable. I don’t need a form of transportation, the c8 isn’t my daily. I don’t even need the c8. It’s just a toy, but I don’t think I should have to go without my toy while paying $1200 a month for it to sit in a shop either.
Old 06-30-2022, 01:54 AM
Rdfxcln
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Iflyforual

Wow you're good...I would think they would fight you in court to get reimbursed. Thought they're only obligated to get you the minimum to get you moving again which is a basic class rental lol
Old 06-30-2022, 02:05 AM
Rdfxcln
Intermediate

did you actually rent the grand sport? Or you’re saying that you just did the math on a similar vehicle and showed them the total and proof and they paid? Cause with my c8 being in the shop for the last 2 weeks and still another month to go roughly, they said they could give me a rental even though I don’t need one. Problem is they said it doesn’t have to be comparable and that they aren’t required for it to be. So I have no reason to go an get a Toyota Corolla on their dime. I always heard that the rental had to be something comparable. I don’t need a form of transportation, the c8 isn’t my daily. I don’t even need the c8. It’s just a toy, but I don’t think I should have to go without my toy while paying $1200 a month for it to sit in a shop either.
Highly doubt they would pay anything if you didnt incur the cost. They always ask for receipts and reimburse you.

There is leeway though. I was hit right before winter so I asked for "2nd tier" (maybe it's called mid-luxury?) rentals which are like SUVs etc and had that for 3 months while waiting for parts.
Old 06-30-2022, 07:58 AM
Iflyforual
Racer

Received 187 Likes on 94 Posts

I did not rent the vehicle it was cash paid to me. But full story this was a total loss as stated previously ….. they paid from the accident till the settlement on the car which was not that long (maybe 14 days??? Can’t remember). Also the accident was not a minor affair and my wife was injured. So we had an attorney they are the ones that informed me that it was required for similar as this was NEVER offered! They informed us of several things required by law which the insurance company would have never brought to our attention.

good luck
Old 06-30-2022, 05:59 PM
Greg00Coupe
Race Director

Received 2,000 Likes on 1,150 Posts

I’d get it fixed…..chase the diminished value, get a good diminished value attorney, they are not that expensive.

If not happy, with the results of the repair or the settlement …sell it and move on. You will get a premium price and there’s always a next one.

Quick Reply: Got hit on my c8 :(