Notices
C8 General Discussion The place to discuss the next generation of Corvette.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

C8 HTC Clear Engine Bay Covers are HERE!

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-2022, 10:27 AM
American Hydrocarbon
Team Owner

Received 1,346 Likes on 736 Posts

Default C8 HTC Clear Engine Bay Covers are HERE!

C8 Corvette HTC Clear Engine Bay Cover - American Hydrocarbon

The long-awaited clear polycarbonate covers are finished and ready to ship. These are in stock.The OEM C8 Corvette engine cover hides that beautiful 6.2L LT2.

This Cover is designed to show it off with style. Manufactured in America, from an impact resistant clear thermoplastic, and formed specific to the Convertible this cover is the perfect addition to your corvette.

Add one of our custom painted engine covers to complete the look!
  • Made From Impact Resistant Thermoplastic
  • Installs easily utilizing OEM hardware
  • Manufactured in America
  • Fully transparent and optically
    clear
  • Showcases entire Engine Bay with
    OEM precision
Manufactured and warrantied by Rapid Rev.

The following 2 users liked this post by American Hydrocarbon:
Anthony s (06-23-2022), Telepierre (06-25-2022)

Popular Reply

06-21-2022, 08:46 PM
American Hydrocarbon
Team Owner

Manufacturer update:
1. The covers have been UL tested for maximum continuous surface temperature up to 200 degrees.
2. They will fit the Z06
3. The GM Warranty Engineer (Jeff) at the Bash said there would be no warranty issues.
4. The cover would have to be on a running car for 11yrs, 8 months and 27 days for any discoloration to occur.
5. The thermoplastic has a 30-year life expectancy before it might start to breakdown.
6. Bottom line is: On the HTC you could not see the engine...now you can!
Old 06-18-2022, 11:02 AM
Rapid Z
Safety Car

Received 3,608 Likes on 1,499 Posts

Originally Posted by American Hydrocarbon
C8 Corvette HTC Clear Engine Bay Cover - American Hydrocarbon

The long-awaited clear polycarbonate covers are finished and ready to ship. These are in stock.The OEM C8 Corvette engine cover hides that beautiful 6.2L LT2.

This Cover is designed to show it off with style. Manufactured in America, from an impact resistant clear thermoplastic, and formed specific to the Convertible this cover is the perfect addition to your corvette.

Add one of our custom painted engine covers to complete the look!
  • Made From Impact Resistant Thermoplastic
  • Installs easily utilizing OEM hardware
  • Manufactured in America
  • Fully transparent and optically
    clear
  • Showcases entire Engine Bay with
    OEM precision
Manufactured and warrantied by Rapid Rev.

Its a very nice product.
Old 06-18-2022, 11:23 AM
dhanley
Advanced

Received 33 Likes on 21 Posts

I really like the look of it but am concerned about 2 things - will there be more engine heat emitted than the factory cover and, if so, how will this impact the paint on the stored convertible top above it. I also wonder if, as it is exposed to the engine heat, will it turn cloudy over time?
I suppose only time will tell regarding both issues. It sure would be nice to be able to view the engine.
The following users liked this post:
ArmchairArchitect (06-21-2022)
Old 06-18-2022, 11:27 AM
American Hydrocarbon
Team Owner

Originally Posted by dhanley
I really like the look of it but am concerned about 2 things - will there be more engine heat emitted than the factory cover and, if so, how will this impact the paint on the stored convertible top above it. I also wonder if, as it is exposed to the engine heat, will it turn cloudy over time?
I suppose only time will tell regarding both issues. It sure would be nice to be able to view the engine.
These covers have been tested on the highway and in standing traffic. There is no discoloration over time and no additional heat issues.
Rapid Z (06-19-2022)
Old 06-18-2022, 12:17 PM
dhanley
Advanced

Received 33 Likes on 21 Posts

Thanks so much for the additional information.
Old 06-18-2022, 12:36 PM
cor66vette
Le Mans Master

Received 1,309 Likes on 690 Posts
C3 of Year Finalist (stock) 2019
C2 of Year Finalist (stock) 2019

These covers have been tested on the highway and in standing traffic. There is no discoloration over time and no additional heat issues.
For how long is "over time"?
Thank you
Old 06-18-2022, 12:44 PM
artrem
Instructor

Received 87 Likes on 55 Posts

I would definitely consider this clear cover, but heat transfer would also be my biggest concern. Still waiting for an allocation; perhaps by the time I actually have a car there will be more data from those who installed it.
Has anyone installed a thermocouple on top of the OEM cover and on top of this clear cover and compared surface temperatures?
Does the OEM cover have any heat shielding on the underside?
Old 06-18-2022, 01:18 PM
Foosh
Team Owner

Received 16,671 Likes on 8,313 Posts

Yes, there is foam insulation and silver reflective material on the underside of the OEM cover. Some dispute that it is for insulation against heat, but it has to have more insulating quality than the polycarbonate. They claim its primary purpose is sound insulation. I tend to doubt that's the only reason it is there, but there is no clear answer.

I guess there is no "Ask Tadge" (or somebody) feature on this forum anymore.
Old 06-18-2022, 08:54 PM
American Hydrocarbon
Team Owner

Old 06-19-2022, 09:34 AM
sanman55
Racer

Received 158 Likes on 106 Posts

I like being able to see the engine but this picture has me real concerned...That insulation is there for a reason...I am not trying to be negative and I am not an engineer...just trying to get info....
1. what does gm say???
2. does it void any parts of the warranty??
Thanks for the info..
Olnavy (06-25-2022)
Old 06-19-2022, 10:21 AM
Kvou812
Burning Brakes

Received 638 Likes on 325 Posts

I guess I'm on the fence about it. Its kinda cool, not sure if its worth $600 to me though. It would be neat to see the engine, but on the other hand I don't put my car in shows and I'm afraid I would just see more I'd wanna clean.
Old 06-19-2022, 11:12 AM
American Hydrocarbon
Team Owner

Originally Posted by sanman55
I like being able to see the engine but this picture has me real concerned...That insulation is there for a reason...I am not trying to be negative and I am not an engineer...just trying to get info....
1. what does gm say???
Thanks for the info..
I have a meeting with the manufacturer tomorrow. All these questions will be addressed. The GM engineers at the Bash liked it and even one commented that they should have thought of it.
Old 06-20-2022, 07:02 AM
CRABBYJ
Safety Car

Received 1,293 Likes on 722 Posts
Unmodified C8 of the Year 2021 Finalist
2018 C7 of Year Finalist

Is there a coating that can be applied to either sides of the polycarbonate cover that could reflect heat as with Low-E window glass?

Old 06-20-2022, 07:09 AM
Rapid Z
Safety Car

Originally Posted by sanman55
1. what does gm say???
Thanks for the info..
Its there for sound only because the HTC is not equipped with the sound insulating topper hat. Heat is not an issue at all. I have done my own tests. I do suggest adding a perimeter seal using common foam weather strip tape like below.

Last edited by Rapid Z; 06-20-2022 at 08:00 AM.
Old 06-20-2022, 08:31 AM
American Hydrocarbon
Team Owner

Originally Posted by C8Smurf
Its there for sound only because the HTC is not equipped with the sound insulating topper hat. Heat is not an issue at all. I have done my own tests. I do suggest adding a perimeter seal using common foam weather strip tape like below.

There will be a seal on the retail covers.
Old 06-20-2022, 11:18 AM
Red Mist Rulz
Race Director

Received 8,594 Likes on 4,301 Posts

Originally Posted by Kvou812
I guess I'm on the fence about it. Its kinda cool, not sure if its worth $600 to me though. It would be neat to see the engine, but on the other hand I don't put my car in shows and I'm afraid I would just see more I'd wanna clean.
IF there is damage to the headliner or other roof components and the dealer knows you have the aftermarket cover, you can rest assured they won't warranty those components. Other than that I can't see any warranty issues.
I have a meeting with the manufacturer tomorrow. All these questions will be addressed. The GM engineers at the Bash liked it and even one commented that they should have thought of it.
The manufacturer said they tested it for "thousands of miles" and there was no damage to the roof or headliner. That doesn't really say anything about what happens over several years.

I'd hope to see a lot more detail on actual temperatures under there with the OEM panel & the clear one, in the same driving conditions (e.g., stop and go traffic, high speeds, how much the radiator and engine bay fans ran, etc., and with information on what the ambient temperature was during the tests. Just before the engine compartment fans come on is probably peak temperature under there, so having OEM vs clear cover temp readings at the point would be very informative.
The following 2 users liked this post by Red Mist Rulz:
ArmchairArchitect (06-21-2022), GarryL (06-20-2022)
Old 06-20-2022, 11:24 AM
RKCRLR
Le Mans Master

Received 6,226 Likes on 3,417 Posts

That insulation does more than just deaden sound. I'm willing to bet money that if you did controlled temperature measurements of the headliner and other components with the OEM panel in place and the clear panel in place that the clear panel measurements will be higher.

The question is how much higher is too much.

Were any temperature measurements taken on a hot day during a track event? Or how about a hard canyon carving session in southern California on a hot day?

If the clear cover manufacturer has any use restrictions they should be stated. And it would be helpful to see actual before and after data along with the driving conditions and ambient temperatures.

Assuming the temperatures were higher with the clear cover, were those temperatures compared with the headliner and other material (adhesives, lubricants, softgoods, etc) capabilities? Many times it isn't just peak temperature that is the limiting factor but the duration of the temperature.

If you had a problem with the headliner or top operation, would you be confident enough that those problems weren't caused by the clear cover that you would leave the clear cover in place when you brought it in for warranty work?

A reasonable approach to how much testing is necessary would be to leave a car parked in the hot sun for an extended period (top both up and down) while measuring the temperature of the components. Normally this is the limiting factor on headliner components. If those temperatures are the same or exceed the operational temperatures with the clear cover in place then that would provide confidence that there isn't a problem.

I'm not saying that the clear cover is necessarily going to cause problems but common sense is telling me that the top components will get hotter with the clear cover in place.

Get notified of new replies

To C8 HTC Clear Engine Bay Covers are HERE!

Old 06-20-2022, 11:37 AM
Red Mist Rulz
Race Director

Received 8,594 Likes on 4,301 Posts

The silver reflective barrier has nothing to do with sound, and everything to do with heat. Unless you're one of the GM engineers who worked on this, don't make statements you have no facts to support.
Old 06-20-2022, 12:13 PM
Rapid Z
Safety Car

Originally Posted by DSOMrulz
The silver reflective barrier has nothing to do with sound, and everything to do with heat. Unless you're one of the GM engineers who worked on this, don't make statements you have no facts to support.
Oh I agree it’s there so the cheap plastic cover it’s mounted to doesn’t melt from the engine heat.
oregonsharkman (06-22-2022)
Old 06-20-2022, 12:29 PM
RKCRLR
Le Mans Master

Received 6,226 Likes on 3,417 Posts

Oh I agree it’s there so the cheap plastic cover it’s mounted to doesn’t melt from the engine heat.
There is other plastic in the engine compartment that doesn't need insulation to protect it. And even if that was the primary reason it still acts as a heat barrier to the top side of the engine cover.

An easy test. Place a heat source on the engine side of both covers and measure the temperature on the other side of the covers. My bet is the clear cover allows more heat to pass through.

Quick Reply: C8 HTC Clear Engine Bay Covers are HERE!