Notices
C8 General Discussion The place to discuss the next generation of Corvette.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Welp

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2022, 07:04 AM
449er
Race Director

Received 4,740 Likes on 3,016 Posts
2023 C6 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2022 C6 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2021 C6 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified

A good body shop will repair your car like it was new, just move on & put it past you
Old 06-29-2022, 07:31 AM
jwt1603
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 199 Likes on 134 Posts

Originally Posted by NextOne
@PuffC8 You may find the following thread from last year relavent: Got Rear Ended Yesterday.
Yeah, that was me. Mine actually showed much less exterior damage than this. When they started taking it apart they found more damage. Even though it was a relatively slow speed hit, it was at an angle which bent the frame and cracked both sections of the rear tub. Estimated cost was 15K and rising.

I got lucky. A wholesaler stopped by the repair shop at the dealer and saw the car. He gave me a LOT over what I paid for it the way it sat. I met him at the bank the next day and sold it. He was going to fix it and export it.

Old 06-29-2022, 11:55 AM
Rdfxcln
Intermediate

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by PuffC8
Ive seen a few guys on here that have received diminished values on their C8s. I was also told by the claim rep that diminished value had to be done at time the repairs were finished. That it couldn't be done down the road. I contacted AutoLoss, they do diminished value claims for you and represent you in the claim, based on my initial repair estimate they gave an estimate of $15,000-20,000 in diminished value. I was referred by my stepmom who works in insurance and a couple people who used them before, they appear to be legitimate and do well in these cases.
Thanks I'll check them out. I found a similar site Wreckcheck which gave an estimate at $18k and offer similar services as you described, but not sure how legit based on the background info available about them.
Old 06-29-2022, 11:58 AM
Rdfxcln
Intermediate

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Ive seen a few guys on here that have received diminished values on their C8s. I was also told by the claim rep that diminished value had to be done at time the repairs were finished. That it couldn't be done down the road. I contacted AutoLoss, they do diminished value claims for you and represent you in the claim, based on my initial repair estimate they gave an estimate of $15,000-20,000 in diminished value. I was referred by my stepmom who works in insurance and a couple people who used them before, they appear to be legitimate and do well in these cases.
yea definitely start the case for claim asap so you're on file...definitely have to wait until the car is completely repaired and they'll ask you for the final repair estimate
Old 06-29-2022, 03:27 PM
Ringmaster
Racer

Received 304 Likes on 132 Posts

Tell the girl's insurance company that your shoulder hurts.
Old 06-29-2022, 03:42 PM
Bob Paris
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,373 Likes on 1,063 Posts

Originally Posted by Ringmaster
Tell the girl's insurance company that your shoulder hurts.
And one wonders why insurance rates are so high...
The following users liked this post:
jwt1603 (06-29-2022)
Old 06-29-2022, 07:48 PM
Ringmaster
Racer

Received 304 Likes on 132 Posts

Originally Posted by Bob Paris
And one wonders why insurance rates are so high...
Agree but it beats getting screwed in this case.
Old 06-30-2022, 04:17 PM
popbigguy
Instructor

Received 48 Likes on 18 Posts

If they have to remove all the rear panels. It might be a good to to change out the exhaust! Just an idea.
Old 06-30-2022, 08:43 PM
PuffC8
Pro

Received 588 Likes on 298 Posts

Originally Posted by popbigguy
If they have to remove all the rear panels. It might be a good to to change out the exhaust! Just an idea.
Yup! That’s the plan. Catback and sport cats. Topspeed Pro1 titanium x-pipe with corsa cats. They’ve already came in. Just waiting on my shop to get to the point where they’re ready to put back bumper on then dropping them off.
It’s my buddies shop and they specialize in exotics, they were already going to be the ones to do the install, now I’m just getting some labor paid for by insurance lol
Old 07-01-2022, 03:51 PM
Italianfox
Burning Brakes

Received 811 Likes on 375 Posts

Originally Posted by JerryU
Not a help for the OP but perhaps for a Thread viewer. To maintain my 63 year driving record of not having an accident with another car (and continued Luck) my MO when approaching a stop, particularly a Red light pisses off folks but sobeit!

First, I have my iPhone set to NOT receive calls or all the foolish Text Beeps when moving! Spend all my time watching for distracted drivers, best I can.

As I approach a red light I start slowing well before I stop. If someone is coming up I crawl so they must crawl with me! I know it pisses some off! BUT in SC you are actually allowed to text IF you are stopped. Can see folks phone on steering wheel who just can't wait to come to a stop. Really stupid as they continue thumbs going a mile a minute when the light turns green. Perhaps my MO may be useful for others!

PS: Remined of the "dumb blonde joke." It sure fits some folks with cell phones.
Blonde went to the doctor's for a check-up.
Dr. said take off your cloths, person did, all but their head phones.
Dr. said please take those off.
Person refused and said I can't.
Dr. got mad and pulled them off.
Person fell on the ground dead!
Dr. picked up the head phones and listened. He heard the message, Breath in, Breath out!

Note for Woke folks, I said person no gender or lack of one mentioned!
Jerry, Funny I've been using your "stop" technique for years. Seems us older guys have learned a thing or 3 over the years!
JerryU (07-26-2022)
Old 07-26-2022, 09:33 AM
PuffC8
Pro

A little update. Still no where near finished. Apparently there is ALOT of what they call “sacrificial” parts on our cars. As they disassemble the car there is a lot of parts that are riveted and bonded and they have to basically break and sacrifice the next part, then that part has to be replaced, and the cycle continues. What originally was estimated by the adjuster to be $7-8k in repairs has climbed up to almost $25k and approaching the insureds policy limits. The adjuster now is just trying to get over that $25k and be done with it so I have to get my insurance involved, but she said she wouldn’t be surprised if an engine drop is required and the repairs climb up into the $40k area. This is definitely not what I was expecting.
Old 07-26-2022, 09:40 AM
jwt1603
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

That stinks. I got lucky and dumped mine after it was hit. Repairs were going to be in the same price range after they dug into it a little more. I got lucky the wholsaler bought it "as is".
Old 07-26-2022, 09:45 AM
lion shf
Burning Brakes

Received 390 Likes on 235 Posts

Am I silly to think this is a giant lotus clam red flag?
mazurekd (07-26-2022)
Old 07-26-2022, 09:45 AM
JerryU
E-Ray, 3LZ, ZER, LIFT
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 9,651 Likes on 6,649 Posts

2 months old. 1 payment. And rear ended by a 16 year old on her phone. Not a good day. 😢
It felt a lot worse than the damage. She hit me hard enough to where I thought I’d get out and see a truck not a Hyundai Sonata. Lol Rear hatch won’t open but says it’s open. Panels are off.
Hard to believe from what looks like “minor” damage! Guess there is nothing minor.

Sorry, hope it works out!
Old 07-26-2022, 09:46 AM
DeeHutch
Racer

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

I"m shocked you don't get pulled over with your tag being all blurred out like that...............
Old 07-26-2022, 09:55 AM
jwt1603
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Here's a pic of my damage. Looks like less but about the same repair cost. Two piece carbon fiber rear tub broken, impact bumper broken, rear fascia, rear hatch and control mechanism, etc. And like he said the more they took it apart the more damage they found. At 15 they stopped and called me.

Old 07-26-2022, 10:01 AM
WishfulThinker23
Racer

Received 396 Likes on 193 Posts

Originally Posted by lion shf
Am I silly to think this is a giant lotus clam red flag?
Sorry, I'm not hip. What is a "lotus clam"?
Old 07-26-2022, 09:08 PM
PuffC8
Pro

Originally Posted by jwt1603
Here's a pic of my damage. Looks like less but about the same repair cost. Two piece carbon fiber rear tub broken, impact bumper broken, rear fascia, rear hatch and control mechanism, etc. And like he said the more they took it apart the more damage they found. At 15 they stopped and called me.

Looks like the exact same scenario down the the Ceramic Gray color. At this point I don't know what the best case scenario for me is. If they total it, I'm Corvetteless. If they repair it, itll likely never be the same car as far as they're likely to go. Especially in a future buyers eyes.

If they do total it, with the market how it is, and my insurance being 20% on top with the payout, I can likely get 30-40k over what I owe. At that point I dont know if I pull the trigger on another, or try to find a Z06

Quick Reply: Welp