Notices
C8 General Discussion The place to discuss the next generation of Corvette.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Replacing a lost C8 key fob

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2022, 05:50 PM
FredC7
Burning Brakes

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 158 Likes on 64 Posts

Default Replacing a lost C8 key fob

I lost or misplaced one of my key fobs. I learned that you can program a third key fob if you have the two original ones but a new replacement one needs to be programmed by the dealer or a locksmith. I know that I can get a brand new fob online for much less than the dealer charges. To save even more I bought a used fob on eBay for a C8 and ordered a key blank to cut a replacement emergency key. However, I called a locksmith and he advised me that a used key fob might not work as they have to be unlocked or they can only be used on the original C8. Has anyone run into this problem after buying a used key fob? I see many of them on eBay. I am going to go to the locksmith so he can determine if he can reprogram the used fob. Worst case I might have to buy a brand new "virgin" C8 fob.
Old 06-09-2022, 06:11 PM
Racer X
Le Mans Master

Received 4,383 Likes on 2,070 Posts

Originally Posted by FredC7
I lost or misplaced one of my key fobs. I learned that you can program a third key fob if you have the two original ones but a new replacement one needs to be programmed by the dealer or a locksmith. I know that I can get a brand new fob online for much less than the dealer charges. To save even more I bought a used fob on eBay for a C8 and ordered a key blank to cut a replacement emergency key. However, I called a locksmith and he advised me that a used key fob might not work as they have to be unlocked or they can only be used on the original C8. Has anyone run into this problem after buying a used key fob? I see many of them on eBay. I am going to go to the locksmith so he can determine if he can reprogram the used fob. Worst case I might have to buy a brand new "virgin" C8 fob.
I have replaced a fob. Not cheap. A dealer or locksmith will have to program the car to accept the fob. Once you have 2 functioning fobs, you can program the car to accept another fob, like if you find your old fob. Then it is easy to do it yourself. I now have 3 fobs. I found my original.

I would be concerned about the source of a used fob. And you will need to buy a new replacement key cut anyway.

The car is programmed, not the fob.

Old 06-09-2022, 06:24 PM
CLAVERY
Advanced

Received 82 Likes on 40 Posts

As a dealer i can tell you if a c8 fob has been programmed to a vehicle already it cannot be reprogrammed to another.
Old 06-09-2022, 06:31 PM
jackfrostpdx
Burning Brakes

Received 631 Likes on 317 Posts

Originally Posted by Racer X
I now have 3 fobs. I found my original..
This is the law of lost fobs, which are usually found soon after the expensive replacement is acquired.
The following users liked this post:
Red C8 of Jax (06-09-2022)
Old 06-10-2022, 12:06 PM
Racer X
Le Mans Master

Received 4,383 Likes on 2,070 Posts

Originally Posted by CLAVERY
As a dealer i can tell you if a c8 fob has been programmed to a vehicle already it cannot be reprogrammed to another.
Interesting, the most important information I have heard in a while. Normally it is the car that is programmed to recognize the fob, not the fob to recognize the car. That would imply that the fob is being written to, unlike any fob before.
Old 06-10-2022, 12:13 PM
Jeff V.
Le Mans Master

Received 4,086 Likes on 1,971 Posts

Originally Posted by Racer X
Interesting, the most important information I have heard in a while. Normally it is the car that is programmed to recognize the fob, not the fob to recognize the car. That would imply that the fob is being written to, unlike any fob before.
A lot of German cars are like that. The chips in the older fobs had the capability, but GM chose not to use it for whatever reason.
Old 06-10-2022, 01:19 PM
tooold2race
Burning Brakes

Received 547 Likes on 284 Posts

Be thankful you're driving a regular Chevy..... The replacement FOB for our Aston Martin was about $1000. Cheap ones on e-Bay and various websites were worthless.
Old 06-10-2022, 02:11 PM
Jeff V.
Le Mans Master

Received 4,086 Likes on 1,971 Posts

Originally Posted by tooold2race
Be thankful you're driving a regular Chevy..... The replacement FOB for our Aston Martin was about $1000. Cheap ones on e-Bay and various websites were worthless.
Isn't that the one that has the big ol **** of sapphire crystal on the end though?

Get notified of new replies

To Replacing a lost C8 key fob