Notices
C8 General Discussion The place to discuss the next generation of Corvette.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Dealers Changing Price after car delivered??

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2022, 02:31 PM
Eric Mirosavich
Heel & Toe

Received 17 Likes on 6 Posts

Went in and spoke with the owner Lee, very nice gentleman. Come to find out, Gen Manager Billy is the owners son in law.

Lee the owner explained to me that even he had to pay a $5000 markup on the Corvette he ordered 😂.

Also spoke with Regional Sales Manager Ashton Teasley who said he would get back with me.

Seems everyone has been very nice throughout this process of screwing me. Except Billy, I called him out on lying to my face in front of the owner. Billy is now stating he told me I would be paying $10k over. Story changed a little after owner and Regional manager involved.

At this point it seems like they’re trying to make me go away long enough to sell the car to the others buyers they referenced that would pay more than $10k over.

Ruined the experience and nothing I can do about it
Old 05-10-2022, 02:45 PM
JerryU
E-Ray, 3LZ, ZER, LIFT
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 9,640 Likes on 6,640 Posts

Originally Posted by Fast Dawg

GM will be forced to take action if it learns of any unethical sales practices or brokering activities that undermine the integrity that customers expect from the Chevrolet, Buick, GMC, and Cadillac brands. For the small minority of bad actors that are engaging in the conduct identified above, this letter serves as notice that GM reserves the right to redirect your vehicle allocation or take other recourse prescribed by the Dealer Sales and Service Agreement.

If you have any questions or comments, please reach out to your Zone Manager."
Yep we had hundreds of Industrial Gas / Welding Distributors and >3000 distributor salesman we sent 1/2 inch thick price sheets to every time we raised one price! Don't do that and they will only pay the old price! You can send them all the letter's you'd like and they will laugh! Understand each State has pretty tough laws protecting dealers! Their dealer associations have sharp lawyer's who will advise them what to say.

Read the bottom line in Red to all the other Boiler plate:
"GM will be forced to take action ....For the small minority of bad actors that are engaging in the conduct identified above, this letter serves as notice that GM reserves the right to redirect your vehicle allocation or take other recourse prescribed by the Dealer Sales and Service Agreement."

GM can cut their allocation of C8's! Recall when I bought my early C7 Z51 (in fact when I placed my Hold-A-Spot order (at MSRP I had in writing when Kerbeck was NOT talking early orders.) That was February 2013 right after the C7 Lauch at the Detroit Auto Show. When I picked mine up in early September 2013 the Sales Manager who is the only one I delt with, was unset he could NOT order a car for their inventory. GM was ONLY filling end customer orders at that time. GM controls allocations (not much else with dealers unless they want to go to court!)

Talking with the dealership management as, the OP has, might help BUT would avoid thinking that will work as he hopes and be prepared to move on!

I'm posting mainly for the ~2000 Silent Majority who have viewed this Tread NOT the OP or even the ~30 Vocal Minority (like you and I!) There are no doubt C6, C7 and prior Vette owner's as part of that group who may be concerned on what they should do! My advice to them is ONLY buy from someone who is willing to put in writing (preferably a signed contract as I had) with the Out-The-Door price. As I noted even MSRP is NOT enough as ~$2500 ceramic coating, required other add-ons including local advertising fees (which the dealer may pay BUT not me.)
Old 05-10-2022, 02:48 PM
See8
Pro

Received 649 Likes on 262 Posts

Yep, I'd walk and then distance myself from the dealer for life. But I'd also be very vocal about it on Corvette forums, BBB, GM, Facebook, Attorney General, Yelp, Google, etc. Just write the piece one time, and then copy and paste. I would make it my business that there would be no shortage of places people can find out about how that dealership operates. No slander involved. Just making people aware of how they treated you.
The following 3 users liked this post by See8:
AORoads (05-12-2022), ArmchairArchitect (05-10-2022), Landru (05-13-2022)
Old 05-10-2022, 03:28 PM
khartford
Pro

Received 639 Likes on 261 Posts

Originally Posted by Eric Mirosavich
I ordered a Ceramic Grey Matrix 2LT from Classic Chevrolet in Bellevue, PA a few months back. When placing the order, I asked about leaving a deposit since the dealer was charging MSRP and no markup. Sales manager stated were a small dealership, we don’t take deposits as we treat everyone like family.

Well, car arrived and now they added a $10k markup. The sales manager stated that he never told me they would sell the car for MSRP and since the market hasn’t changed they now need to add $10k to the purchase price. He told me that he could sell the car to someone else for more $, I didn’t need to feel bad if I didn’t want it.

GM customer service says there’s not much they can do except send the dealer an email.

anyone have any suggestions?
1. Buy with $10K markup
2. Walk away
3. Date the dealer's daughter (I recommend # 3)
The following users liked this post:
jpmotorsport (05-25-2022)
Old 05-10-2022, 04:33 PM
galaxy_jason
Racer

Received 352 Likes on 149 Posts

Unfortunately, $10K markup is about the best you are going to do if you want one today. Dealer's lists, even the big two are over one year wait times.
You would still be above water, you could flip it and make money if you had to. Next time order from a dealer who has a track record of selling at MSRP, not a slick salesman who claims they do.

If the manager says he had to pay a $5000 markup from GM, he is lying. Ask for the GM workbench and invoice. You can't do much about a markup but you may have some recourse if they are lying about what they paid. Check with your state AG.
Fast Dawg (05-11-2022)
Old 05-10-2022, 04:57 PM
JABCAT
Race Director

Received 8,854 Likes on 4,262 Posts
2020 C6 of the Year Winner - Modified

Originally Posted by galaxy_jason
If the owner says he had to pay a $5000 markup from GM, he is lying.
100%. He didn’t pay a penny over the amount his dealership was invoiced for the car.
The following 4 users liked this post by JABCAT:
ArmchairArchitect (05-10-2022), Corvette ED (05-11-2022), Fast Dawg (05-11-2022), Rafa7 (05-12-2022)
Old 05-10-2022, 05:44 PM
AORoads
Team Owner

Received 2,485 Likes on 1,947 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15
"In honor of jpee"

Went in and spoke with the owner Lee, very nice gentleman. Come to find out, Gen Manager Billy is the owners son in law.

Lee the owner explained to me that even he had to pay a $5000 markup on the Corvette he ordered 😂.

Also spoke with Regional Sales Manager Ashton Teasley who said he would get back with me.

Seems everyone has been very nice throughout this process of screwing me. Except Billy, I called him out on lying to my face in front of the owner. Billy is now stating he told me I would be paying $10k over. Story changed a little after owner and Regional manager involved.

At this point it seems like they’re trying to make me go away long enough to sell the car to the others buyers they referenced that would pay more than $10k over.

Ruined the experience and nothing I can do about it
I guess that shows you what type of "family" that is. Can only hope the rest of the "family" is different but... The owner said he paid $5K over, probably ADM---did you laff in his face? Did he go to accounting and ask for a check for $5K IMMEDIATELY after he "paid" his $5K extra?

Let's see what Ashton Teasley, District Sales Mgr. does about this one. My bet is the Big Goose Egg aka nothing. It's a family business that has its family ways of doing business. Luv to be wrong tho.

But even if you get the car at msrp, I think the whole experience will not sit well with you. You will not have won anything. Especially since you now know what "family" means to this entire dealership.

Just imagine the "family" treatment you'll receive in the service department, or parts, or finance. Maybe that's being unfair. Maybe.
Old 05-10-2022, 06:25 PM
z06inVB
Race Director

Received 1,108 Likes on 522 Posts

I am hoping one day supply catches up not just with Corvettes but with all makes and models and the dealers that have been screwing customers since this crap started take a hard hit.

Halfmoon378 (05-11-2022)
Old 05-10-2022, 06:34 PM
JerryU
E-Ray, 3LZ, ZER, LIFT
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 9,640 Likes on 6,640 Posts

^^^
The top Vette sellers have not been to my knowledge.

PS: I'm referring to the top 3 at least. Have to check others. Be careful, Hendrick dealerships are all different. Each does their own thing. Can understand with 100 dealerships (not all Chevy) a good Entrepreneur (which Rick is) will hold all to one standard- bottom line profit. Start telling them how to do whatever, when they don't make their profit goal it's your fault!

In fact Ciocca was the first to say the Z06 will be at MSRP. Hendrick in GA was adding many thousands- BUT you knew up front!
Old 05-10-2022, 08:22 PM
z51vett
Le Mans Master

Received 277 Likes on 169 Posts

Dealers can add paint sealer and other add pms to raise price no rule against that
Old 05-10-2022, 08:56 PM
lotecredneck
Racer

Received 113 Likes on 52 Posts

I would have to call bull$hit on the dealer having to pay $5k over for his personal car! I would just point blank ask them if it's really worth losing a customer for life along with everyone else you come into contact with over their decision. I bought a Honda accord back in '86 and the dealer was charging me over msrp when they were hard to get and I put it to him the same way, He charged me $500 over and I never bought another car from any of his dealerships again.... He lost way more than the $500 he made.

~Tony
Halfmoon378 (05-11-2022)
Old 05-10-2022, 09:01 PM
mikey'sdad
Instructor

Received 13 Likes on 5 Posts

The whole forum should take up the op’s case. We should all call the dealership to complain about how they are treating a fellow member. Inform them we will tell everyone we know how they operate and will spread the word to not buy any car they sell. Op Are you ok with that?
The following 2 users liked this post by mikey'sdad:
Halfmoon378 (05-11-2022), Jeffer (05-12-2022)
Old 05-10-2022, 09:11 PM
Zymurgy

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 15,106 Likes on 6,184 Posts

Yep, I’m headed back this morning with my pre-order paperwork and my order paperwork. I can clearly see where the price changed from prelim to actual order, from $79375 to $79900, which I’m ok with. But no where on any of it did they mention they were going to add $10k.

Maybe it’s my bad thinking I’d have to also have signed paperwork in addition to my order with clear pricing stated on it.

That's just a GM Order Workbench printout. In no way does that represent a contract of any kind. Every Order Workbench will show MSRP, regardless of what the dealer intends sells the car for (above or below MSRP).
jpmotorsport (05-25-2022)
Old 05-10-2022, 09:49 PM
RKCRLR
Le Mans Master

Received 6,190 Likes on 3,396 Posts

Originally Posted by Zymurgy
That's just a GM Order Workbench printout. In no way does that represent a contract of any kind. Every Order Workbench will show MSRP, regardless of what the dealer intends sells the car for (above or below MSRP).
I agree, but at this point it is the dealer's word against the customer's word. An ethical dealer would have a signed document for what price the customer agreed to if it was above MSRP and should be able to present that to GM if GM wished to investigate. The customer at least has a document that suggests the car was to be a retail sold order with price that was to be at MSRP (or lower). Only an unethical dealer would verbally tell a customer that the price was to be at MSRP, provide them that Workbench printout, and then ask for more when the car arrives.

Last edited by RKCRLR; 05-10-2022 at 09:59 PM.
Fast Dawg (05-11-2022)
Old 05-10-2022, 10:46 PM
kthomas325is
7th Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hi, I got the news yesterday that it's my turn to order. I put a deposit in April 21'. I could have ordered 2 months ago but I thought it would be best to wait for the 23' and the new wheel options I have to have my final spec confirmed by the 17th. The dealership is Stingray Chevy down in Lakeland FL. I don't know if it's something you might be interested in but I bet I could hand it over to you, I can confirm tomorrow that it is MSRP. I gave them a $500 deposit, if they are ok with it, for $2k I would pass it to you. $500 of it would be my deposit so really it would $1500 to jump for you to the head of the line. I really want the car but I foresee big problems in the coming 6 to 18 months due to food issues and a recession,
so I am not sure I want to buy it at this time. Let me know what you think, I can send you the info and you can confirm with the dealership. Selling the spot would be the nudge I need to not buy it. As it sits I am at $100k for a LOADED Orange 3Lt convertible. I've been also thinking about a coupe 2lt which is putting me between $85 and $89k.
I'm open to any thoughts or offers.
Old 05-10-2022, 11:49 PM
ChiefCuzzo
2nd Gear

Originally Posted by kthomas325is
Hi, I got the news yesterday that it's my turn to order. I put a deposit in April 21'. I could have ordered 2 months ago but I thought it would be best to wait for the 23' and the new wheel options I have to have my final spec confirmed by the 17th. The dealership is Stingray Chevy down in Lakeland FL. I don't know if it's something you might be interested in but I bet I could hand it over to you, I can confirm tomorrow that it is MSRP. I gave them a $500 deposit, if they are ok with it, for $2k I would pass it to you. $500 of it would be my deposit so really it would $1500 to jump for you to the head of the line. I really want the car but I foresee big problems in the coming 6 to 18 months due to food issues and a recession,
so I am not sure I want to buy it at this time. Let me know what you think, I can send you the info and you can confirm with the dealership. Selling the spot would be the nudge I need to not buy it. As it sits I am at $100k for a LOADED Orange 3Lt convertible. I've been also thinking about a coupe 2lt which is putting me between $85 and $89k.
I'm open to any thoughts or offers.
I would be interested in that deal. I have one on order but it will be another 5 months before I get an allocation. Let me know if the dealership will allow it and we can work the details out. -Chief
kthomas325is (05-10-2022)
Old 05-11-2022, 12:00 AM
ChiefCuzzo
2nd Gear

Email sent with contact information.

Get notified of new replies

To Dealers Changing Price after car delivered??

Old 05-11-2022, 12:01 AM
kthomas325is
7th Gear

Hey Chief, sounds good. My name is Tommy I'll get ahold of them tomorrow. Drop me a text so I can get with you directly. If not I'll come back here once I find out.
Old 05-11-2022, 06:49 AM
C8J
Le Mans Master

Received 3,152 Likes on 1,717 Posts

I purchased from a local dealer without all of the troubles some seem to be having. I did my deal on a handshake and it was clear that the pricing would be at MSRP without any additional markup. That was in the fall of 2019 before things went totally insane It was confirmed verbally again when the order went in in Dec 2019. Covid SD at BGA delayed my delivery 3 months from March to July. By then the used pricing had started skyrocketing, I think in part to paying $3,000,000! for the first one adding greatly to the demand side At pickup/closing, the Sales manager added in the standard $995 Dealer fee. I talked to my salesman and he agreed that it wasn't supposed to happen, but ..... Currently, they are up front and tell customers that there is an additional markup because "everyone" is doing it. They started with only 2%, but I think it is up to 5 or 10% now. At least they aren't hiding it and not the 20-50K some have. My salesman did say that the Z will probably have a $50K markup because they will probably only get 1 or 2.

This is an optional purchase. Consider everything and then ... Know who you are dealing with is the most important.
Old 05-11-2022, 07:38 AM
cor66vette
Le Mans Master

Received 1,308 Likes on 690 Posts
C3 of Year Finalist (stock) 2019
C2 of Year Finalist (stock) 2019

Originally Posted by kthomas325is
Hey Chief, sounds good. My name is Tommy I'll get ahold of them tomorrow. Drop me a text so I can get with you directly. If not I'll come back here once I find out.
I pretty much doubt Stingray would allow you to "buy" someone's spot on their list. There may be a way around it, but if I may suggest, don't approach them with your thought of swapping with someone else. They're pretty adamant about their list(s) being on the up and up. Honesty may not be the best policy in this case. Good luck getting a car.
Fast Dawg (05-11-2022)

Quick Reply: Dealers Changing Price after car delivered??