Notices
C8 General Discussion The place to discuss the next generation of Corvette.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Ventilated Seat Surprise

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-2022, 04:17 PM
dpglusko
Intermediate

Received 30 Likes on 12 Posts

Default Ventilated Seat Surprise

I took delivery of my RM 3LT at NCM back in November, so using the ventilated seat function was not high on my priority list. When I finally got around to it, I confirmed what others on CF have observed, namely, that the performance of the ventilated seats is underwhelming, to say the least. I had never felt any ventilation benefit regardless of fan speed. However, this afternoon it was 92* out when I made a run to the store. For no particular reason I switched my A/C setting from outside air to recirculate. I was delighted to feel cool air on my back for the first time and was very comfortable while I was out. The ventilated seats on my C8 aren't quite as effective as my wife's GV80 but they are now performing up to the expectations I had when I placed my order last year.
Old 05-06-2022, 04:19 PM
blueapplepaste
Pro

Received 801 Likes on 292 Posts

I got mine in January and have only recently gotten to use them. And I agree - it was a pleasant surprise. Will be great for the upcoming Texas summer.
Old 05-06-2022, 04:54 PM
Ragtop 99
Safety Car

Received 1,186 Likes on 685 Posts

IIRC, the intake is at the bottom of the seats so having the A/C direct some air to the footwell may help. They haven't done much when driving top down.
Old 05-06-2022, 07:06 PM
Docbrock
Team Owner

Received 444 Likes on 218 Posts

Now we are in to the 90s here in Florida, I can feel it.
Old 05-06-2022, 08:10 PM
PLC8
Instructor

Received 118 Likes on 46 Posts

My Silverado ones seem to do better than I have observed in my C8 . I’ll try recirculate next time and see if it helps . I hear the fan but so far felt very little from them . At least now I know I’m not the only one that felt they weren’t doing much . Thanks for the info
Old 05-06-2022, 11:31 PM
Vetteman Jack
Administrator

Support Corvetteforum!

Location: In a parallel universe. Currently own 2014 Stingray Coupe.
Received 19,378 Likes on 14,023 Posts
C7 of the Year - Modified Finalist 2021
MO Events Coordinator
St. Jude Co-Organizer
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-
'20-'21-'22-'23-'24
NCM Sinkhole Donor
CI 5, 8 & 11 Veteran

Not surprised that using recirculated air would make the ventilated seats feel they were working better. Good that you were able to enjoy that feature on your car.
Old 05-07-2022, 07:37 AM
JerryU
E-Ray, 3LZ, ZER, LIFT
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 9,641 Likes on 6,641 Posts

Originally Posted by dpglusko
I took delivery of my RM 3LT at NCM back in November, so using the ventilated seat function was not high on my priority list. When I finally got around to it, I confirmed what others on CF have observed, namely, that the performance of the ventilated seats is underwhelming, to say the least. I had never felt any ventilation benefit regardless of fan speed. However, this afternoon it was 92* out when I made a run to the store. For no particular reason I switched my A/C setting from outside air to recirculate. I was delighted to feel cool air on my back for the first time and was very comfortable while I was out. The ventilated seats on my C8 aren't quite as effective as my wife's GV80 but they are now performing up to the expectations I had when I placed my order last year.
Also depends on what you're wearing! Yep light shirt and shorts allow you to feel the small amount of air flow. And colder the cabin air the more you'll feel! The fans are small and flow is low!
Old 05-07-2022, 11:58 AM
NoMatter
Short Lived
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 753 Likes on 384 Posts

Originally Posted by JerryU
Also depends on what you're wearing! Yep light shirt and shorts allow you to feel the small amount of air flow. And colder the cabin air the more you'll feel! The fans are small and flow is low!
I agree.
There are times it seems to function better than other days. But could be better. I'm spoiled by our F250 AC seats so when I jump in the the C8 it's a let down. About to swap to race seats so that feature will be gone soon.
Old 05-07-2022, 12:12 PM
Foosh
Team Owner

Received 16,669 Likes on 8,312 Posts

The ventilated seat system performance is the same all the time. It's just circulating the air in the cabin at whatever temp you have set. You feel it when your backside is hotter than cabin temp or perspiring.

It's a lot like how a breeze feels a lot cooler when you're sweaty, or when you enter a building cooled by AC on a hot summer day outside. Once your body normalizes to the indoor temp, it doesn't feel as cool as when you entered, and may not feel it at all.

When you no longer feel it, that means it has done its job. But leaving it on will keep your backside comfortable and dry.
The following users liked this post:
Z0Sick6 (05-11-2022)
Old 05-07-2022, 04:37 PM
Michael T*
Drifting

Received 945 Likes on 428 Posts

In addition to the recirculate, try opening the lower (heater) vents in addition to the center vents. To me this helps alot.

Old 05-11-2022, 09:15 AM
mnm4ever
Burning Brakes

Received 672 Likes on 379 Posts

I have never had this feature on a car, so I was not sure what to expect. We rented an Explorer last week that had both heated and cooled seats. The cooled seats definitely worked, I felt dramatically cooler air coming through the seat. So what I am wondering is if the Ford version works the same as the C8, where it is just "ventilated" with cabin air, or does Ford do it differently, with dedicated ducted AC air sent through the seat? And if it is the latter, then why wouldn't Chevy do that too? Seems like a no-brainer on a convertible.
Old 05-11-2022, 09:22 AM
NoMatter
Short Lived
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 753 Likes on 384 Posts

Originally Posted by mnm4ever
I have never had this feature on a car, so I was not sure what to expect. We rented an Explorer last week that had both heated and cooled seats. The cooled seats definitely worked, I felt dramatically cooler air coming through the seat. So what I am wondering is if the Ford version works the same as the C8, where it is just "ventilated" with cabin air, or does Ford do it differently, with dedicated ducted AC air sent through the seat? And if it is the latter, then why wouldn't Chevy do that too? Seems like a no-brainer on a convertible.
Our F250 and X5 both have AC directly ducted seats. It gets cold. I can’t even run them on coldest setting it’s that good. Our X5 even has heated and cooled drink holders. I’m sure in the C8 with the low profile car and seats there’s no room to run such an luxury item.
Old 05-11-2022, 09:55 AM
NakedDave
Racer

Received 279 Likes on 149 Posts

Same as it’s always been for any Vette with cooled seats; set to recirculate, floors vents open and that’s about as good as it gets!
Old 05-11-2022, 11:27 AM
JerryU
E-Ray, 3LZ, ZER, LIFT
Support Corvetteforum!

^^^
Yep, the C7 vented seats (pic below) were designed by Lear in Italy who also make seats for other high end sports cars. Need to be thin and light weight not like an SUV!

C7 SEATS HAD 3 SMALL FANS THAT BLOW COLD AIR FROM WHATEVER IS ON THE FLOOR TO YOUR REAR AND BACK. NO SEPARATE AC DUCTS.
Old 05-11-2022, 02:31 PM
mnm4ever
Burning Brakes

Received 672 Likes on 379 Posts

Originally Posted by SPOHN
Our F250 and X5 both have AC directly ducted seats. It gets cold. I can’t even run them on coldest setting it’s that good. Our X5 even has heated and cooled drink holders. I’m sure in the C8 with the low profile car and seats there’s no room to run such an luxury item.
Yea that's how it was in the Explorer, worked extremely well. Too bad, I think having those extreme cooled seats would be a game changer for me using the HTC more often.
Old 05-11-2022, 03:04 PM
JerryU
E-Ray, 3LZ, ZER, LIFT
Support Corvetteforum!

^^^
Hmm, can't you put the top up?? Works OK in my Coupe when the seats are hot! Just takes a little time for the floor to get cold. Can direct it there to help!

Get notified of new replies

To Ventilated Seat Surprise

Quick Reply: Ventilated Seat Surprise