Notices
C8 General Discussion The place to discuss the next generation of Corvette.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Activate Onstar=signing GM's "agreement"?

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2022, 12:07 AM
NAV
Instructor

Received 44 Likes on 20 Posts

Default Activate Onstar=signing GM's "agreement"?

I never "activated" Onstar. I did enable wifi and the car is on my home network with internet access yet it has never told me a software update was available and even when I use the infotainment system to check, it says no updates available. Today I took the car to the dealer for a oil change at 1 week to go for 12 months of ownership. When I picked the car up, the service advisor told me 3 updates were available and why did I not let the car automatically install them. Well when I read the fine print online prior to picking up the car, it said something to the effect that by "activating" the service I was agreeing to the way GM could use my data including sharing it with entities with a lawful request for the data. From what I read, the car's systems routinely record driving data, but it can not be shared without the owner's consent. So, prior to delivery of the car I had told the dealer that Onstar was NOT to be activated. Apparently I am the only person to ever make that request!! The price I pay for that is that every time I start the car, a message comes up on the infotainment screen saying to activate the service. I am posting this to see if my thinking is correct and if so to make the forum aware of this. So, for any attorneys out there, is my reasoning for not activacting Onstar sound as I do not want GM to have access to my driving data. Also, has anyone had any experience with any GM vehicle involved in a accident, speeding etc. where data was "shared" with Onstar activated but not with a paid service?

Also, again from reading online prior to accepting delivery, once Onstar is activated your consent is not revoked even if you don't have a paid Onstar service.

I did not make this decision out of paranoia, but I am sick of every institution having access to "my" data. It's getting to where I think the term "your data" should be declared a misnomer!

I also apologize if this thread should have been posted to the tech. section, but this seems to be where most Onstar related posts are made.
Old 04-14-2022, 12:51 AM
Spamburger_Hamburger
Burning Brakes

Received 1,662 Likes on 566 Posts

I feel like the OnStar fight isn't the hill worth dying on, but it sure seems to be a popular one around here. I understand and respect your reservations about it. I know some will never activate it and just have their dealer do any available updates when they are in for service or oil changes. I like some of the features of OnStar and activated it on my C8 and was able to install updates at my leisure. I carry it during summer driving months, cancel during winter when the car is stored.

I used to work in and industry adjacent to systems like OnStar and unless it's changed since then, the collection of driving info from my understanding isn't much personal at all. They aren't logging when and where you go to places to sell or use. You're not going to get ads from a Burger King you drive by often. It's usually current location data and vehicle status data to make it's available to you if you use that service. Tire pressures, oil status, locate my car features, diagnostic codes, and other thing you can access from the internet or apps. The lawful request part is just there if the cops subpoena info from them legally which, if that happens you probably have much bigger problems to be worried about.
Old 04-14-2022, 07:49 AM
Andybump
Le Mans Master

Received 3,838 Likes on 2,280 Posts

Originally Posted by NAV
....... I am posting this to see if my thinking is correct and if so to make the forum aware of this. ........
I don't know if "your thinking is correct" or not, but the 2021 Owners Manual appears to say that an "active" On-Star agreement includes consent to receive updates and allow data to be collected. Does the agreement remain "active" after the trial subscription expires? I think maybe it does - for the basic service. This would seem to suggest that if you never activated it and did not sign the agreement, then they don't have consent.

The following users liked this post:
NAV (04-14-2022)
Old 04-14-2022, 08:26 AM
bucker2
Instructor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 82 Likes on 50 Posts

Like you I have never activated OnStar on my 2021 C8 delivered August 2021 at the NCM. Took car out of storage 10 days ago and expected it to indicate a couple updates were available from reading about a few on this site. And just like your car when I used the infotainment system to check, it says no updates available even with Wi-Fi connected to the vehicle. Guess I'll just have the dealer do them at oil change service.
NAV (04-14-2022)
Old 04-14-2022, 08:41 AM
Matthew_C8
Racer

Received 264 Likes on 120 Posts
Unmodified C8 of the Year 2021 Finalist

I also never activated OnStar and have no plans to ever do so. I have gone to three dealers since owning my car, and none complained about installing updates for me. I usually get my car back and they tell me they did the updates. I thank them and then leave. I think you have your car setup right and there is no hard in letting the dealership handle this.

Also, the warning is apparently a bug they are trying to fix. if you activate OnStar and then cancel it, you will get the same message on other GM cars. I have been waiting for a fix or a "permanently ignore" button.
NAV (04-14-2022)

Get notified of new replies

To Activate Onstar=signing GM's "agreement"?

Quick Reply: Activate Onstar=signing GM's "agreement"?