Notices
C8 General Discussion The place to discuss the next generation of Corvette.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

C 8 1 st oil change / trans filter / flush

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-2022, 01:28 PM
JerryU
E-Ray, 3LZ, ZER, LIFT
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 9,646 Likes on 6,645 Posts

Originally Posted by RKCRLR

GM really needs to clarify what the requirements really are.
Would be good for them to do that. Especially with the comment made at the Bash in the Seminar on C8 Maintenace. Have to believe GM is more concerned about DCT debris now that they have experience.

But they could say year 1 if you have more than XXXX miles at the 1st required engine oil change have the dealer also make a DCT filter change with the required Flush. Then year 3 when all DCT fluid is changed for time and not 45,000 miles, if the filter has less than 2000 miles you don't have to change or whatever they want to say!
Old 07-13-2022, 01:52 PM
Andybump
Le Mans Master

Received 3,815 Likes on 2,266 Posts

I.........If the system is ever reset
accidentally, the fluid must be
changed at 72 000 km (45,000 mi)
since the last fluid change
........... My dealer erroneously reset my transmission fluid life monitor during the first service, does that mean I can now ignore the time element and wait until another 45,000 miles to get it changed...?.....
On the last point, I think its got to be 45000 miles or three years since the last time the tluid was changed, whichever occurs first. The 2023 manual says the same thing about accidental reset. If everything is accurate in the manual (not saying it is) - this would also seem to imply that 45000 miles is the worst case - the shortest miles - that could result from hard driving. Meaning that the trans fluid life monitor might go further than 45000 miles but never less. But...then in the 2023 manual it states for every 45000 mile interval to change the fluid and the external filter cansister, without caveat. Suggesting that the transmission fluid life should never exceed 45000 miles. So...its a mess. It should say just follow the life monitor indicators - with maybe some information on the factors included in each, and some idea of the range of time and mileage that could be expected. Instead they seem to attempting to transition (poorly) from a schedule that prescribes periodic service event to a schedule completely reliant on the oil and filter life monitors.
Old 07-20-2022, 05:38 PM
frankjr
Burning Brakes

Received 698 Likes on 405 Posts

Chuck talks about first service which includes DCT filter change not the first oil change which is different, Corvette tech at my local dealer recommends the same, paying for firat oil change and getting first service closer to 7,500 miles or within two years but not longer than 7,500 miles paid for by GM.
The following users liked this post:
JimB. (07-20-2022)
Old 07-20-2022, 05:52 PM
JerryU
E-Ray, 3LZ, ZER, LIFT
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by frankjr
Chuck talks about first service which includes DCT filter change not the first oil change which is different, Corvette tech at my local dealer recommends the same, paying for firat oil change and getting first service closer to 7,500 miles or within two years but not longer than 7,500 miles paid for by GM.
Note I often post for the Silent Majority who view and don't (won't) post. So this is a copy from a post (less SIDEBAR.) It has been an important topic for well over a year and new folks coming to that decision all the time.

Your techs suggestion was what some forum members said BEFORE a recent member posted he was told at a recent GM Bash in a C8 Maintenance seminar to have both done on GM's dime when your 1st engine oil change is required.

That is the decision I made on my own last August for several reason with ~3500 miles on my 1-year-old C8. About where you will be:
  1. I realized that year 3 you MUST, per the Owner's Manual, have all 11 quarts of DCT fluid changed.
  2. I also was concerned about a number of forum reports of DCT CEL's, folks had that required a flush.
  3. I had observed a slight jerkiness when crawling into my garage for about 800 miles- after, as now, it's perfectly smooth (see Sidebar)

So suggest doing what I did and am doing.
  1. Year 1 have both engine oil and DCT filter changed (with GM required flush) on GM's Dime.
  2. Year 2 pay the dealer to just change engine oil
  3. Year 3 have the engine oil AND DCT filter changed again when in my case will have ~7000 miles on my 1st year new filter. Think it's better (although not essential) to change the filter and ~8 oz of dirty fluid in the filter housing and have a flush when all DCT fluid is replaced.
Since You Mentioned Chuck:
Chuck the tech at Rick Conti is good, I respect his knowledge and like his video's. BUT he does not use GM spec'd lift pads. Relies on those on his jack arms which are larger in diameter. He discussed in a change DCT filter video they had to lift the C8 several times to get at the outside panel bolts that are close to the GM oval slot. I brought my 1-inch-high jack pads and my Tech was able to remove those 4 bolts with a box wrench without any extra lifts to position jack arm pads!

Last edited by JerryU; 07-20-2022 at 06:01 PM.
Old 07-21-2022, 08:40 AM
sanman55
Racer

Received 158 Likes on 106 Posts
Default fluid

I really appreciate all the info I got from my original question .After reading all this and the manual I decided to:
1.Pay for the first oil change- including oil filter--I will have about 3000 miles on car.
2. Get the free-be ....oil and both filters changed. that will put me very close to the 7500 mark.
3. When I change the tranny fluid at year 3 --might leave the filter in????
They really stress to get close the the 7500 mile mark before changing The manual says that when you change the trans fluid if the DCT FILTER IS CLOSE TO ITS MILLAGE CHANGE IT TOO.. I am reading that as stated...if not close leave it..I am really not worried about 8oz of fluid compared to almost 3 gal. of clean fluid. The filter is still filtering..also the dct filter millage goes up to like 22500 miles...so if you change it at 3000 miles you are not getting the full benifit...
plus the new 2023 have the dct filter listed on the cars maintance screen...so now you have oil ,trans and dct filter..So if they put that on there they are stressing limits to change...Now you change it more often if you want...Some were changing oil at 500 miles..
Any way thats my thought...
Thanks again for your thoughts
The following 2 users liked this post by sanman55:
frankjr (07-21-2022), RKCRLR (07-21-2022)
Old 07-21-2022, 09:09 AM
bhvrdr
Safety Car

Received 2,352 Likes on 1,214 Posts

Originally Posted by sanman55
I really appreciate all the info I got from my original question .After reading all this and the manual I decided to:
1.Pay for the first oil change- including oil filter--I will have about 3000 miles on car.
2. Get the free-be ....oil and both filters changed. that will put me very close to the 7500 mark.
3. When I change the tranny fluid at year 3 --might leave the filter in????
They really stress to get close the the 7500 mile mark before changing The manual says that when you change the trans fluid if the DCT FILTER IS CLOSE TO ITS MILLAGE CHANGE IT TOO.. I am reading that as stated...if not close leave it..I am really not worried about 8oz of fluid compared to almost 3 gal. of clean fluid. The filter is still filtering..also the dct filter millage goes up to like 22500 miles...so if you change it at 3000 miles you are not getting the full benifit...
plus the new 2023 have the dct filter listed on the cars maintance screen...so now you have oil ,trans and dct filter..So if they put that on there they are stressing limits to change...Now you change it more often if you want...Some were changing oil at 500 miles..
Any way thats my thought...
Thanks again for your thoughts

Sounds like a great plan. At the year 3 mark you may as well change the filter too. You can still flush the valves into the filter and get rid of it. Very minor extra expense and it resets you for the next 22.5k mile filter change.

Mike
JerryU (07-21-2022)
Old 07-21-2022, 03:21 PM
jagtoes
Racer

Received 341 Likes on 154 Posts

I have a Dec 2020 car and had my free service done at 6500 miles. I have had 2 more oil changes and am 1500 miles away from my 22,500 mile DTC filter change. The transmission fluid monitor on my DIC says 52% so I suspect it will be 50% at time of change. The indicator is not supposed to be reset and I would believe it would be at 100% at 45,000 miles. I also need to check with the tech on the 3 year fluid change as I don't believe I will hit 45K by next Dec . It's gonna be interesting to see if the monitor is mileage or time gated. Time will tell.
RKCRLR (07-21-2022)
Old 07-21-2022, 04:18 PM
JerryU
E-Ray, 3LZ, ZER, LIFT
Support Corvetteforum!

^^^^
The DCT, unlike the engine OLM does not appear to consider time. Perhaps it has not read the fine print in the Owner's Manual (all, 2020, 2021, 2022 in a note in the Maintenace Table and 2023 in the text) that all DCT fluid gets changed at max every 3 years. Have to replace, antifoam and other avidities.

I had my DCT filter changed at ~3500 miles year one with the GM required flush. That was last August at ~12 months. It now shows about 78% DCT fluid life left. Expect it will be >50% next year when I have it changed. BTW I will have the DCT filter charged at that time as will have ~7000 miles on my new as of last August filter.
Old 07-22-2022, 09:04 AM
sanman55
Racer

Received 158 Likes on 106 Posts

The thing is the dct filter has 3 different millage changes...The first is 7500- thats gets all that breakin stuff...Then its 22500- the second changed so if you have 7000 miles you would be adding just 15000 more miles which is double the millage for the first and then every 22500 miles thereafter. I hope that makes sense....each change it extends the millage change to its max of 22500 Thats why I am doing what I said....as far as changeing the filter at the fluid change...thats still up in the air...I got 2 more years to go on that...but going by what I read I will not change the filter at that time.v I think that is why they put the filter on the dic info screen?
Just trying to clear up my thinking
Thanks again...
bhvrdr (07-22-2022)
Old 07-22-2022, 10:47 AM
JerryU
E-Ray, 3LZ, ZER, LIFT
Support Corvetteforum!

^^^
Yep it does not appear from the Owner's Manual that it's essential to change the DCT filter when to have the 11 quarts of fluid changed every 3 years. Like many owner's I'll seldom reach those mileage numbers. So my plan will be to change the filter at 3 years and IF I have the car in 6 do it again (hopefully have my FWD "performance hybrid" by then.)

BUT have to consider the extra cost. From a labor standpoint changing the filter and dumping the 8 oz of dirty fluid is insignificant ONCE you lift remove the two lower aero panels to access the DCT check/fill plug. Just remove 4 bolts. You can get the filter kit from many GM discount parts folks (filter, 4 new bolts coated with sealant and an "O" ring) for ~$125. The 11 quarts of new fluid and labor to lift, remove and install the aero panels will be much more!
Old 07-22-2022, 11:00 AM
jagtoes
Racer

Originally Posted by JerryU
^^^
Yep it does not appear from the Owner's Manual that it's essential to change the DCT filter when to have the 11 quarts of fluid changed every 3 years. Like many owner's I'll seldom reach those mileage numbers. So my plan will be to change the filter at 3 years and IF I have the car in 6 do it again (hopefully have my FWD "performance hybrid" by then.)

BUT have to consider the extra cost. From a labor standpoint changing the filter and dumping the 8 oz of dirty fluid is insignificant ONCE you lift remove the two lower aero panels to access the DCT check/fill plug. Just remove 4 bolts. You can get the filter kit from many GM discount parts folks (filter, 4 new bolts coated with sealant and an "O" ring) for ~$125. The 11 quarts of new fluid and labor to lift, remove and install the aero panels will be much more!
I'm at 21,500 miles now and have a dealer quote for DCT filter (only) change of $830 . I'm exploring my options but looking at the labor required to do a fluid change and the price of the fluid my bet is it will cost around $1000 .
Old 07-22-2022, 11:29 AM
Andybump
Le Mans Master

Received 3,815 Likes on 2,266 Posts

There have been many reports of early transmission issues that were solved using one or more of the hydraulic system flush procedures. When that non-scheduled service was provided, under warranty, did it include replacing the DCT filter after the flush procedure?
JerryU (07-22-2022)
Old 07-22-2022, 11:52 AM
JerryU
E-Ray, 3LZ, ZER, LIFT
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by jagtoes
I'm at 21,500 miles now and have a dealer quote for DCT filter (only) change of $830 . I'm exploring my options but looking at the labor required to do a fluid change and the price of the fluid my bet is it will cost around $1000 .
Yep, watched the tech do my DCT filter change, flush and engine oil/filter change. Took ~2 hours. He is stickler for doing things by the book! For example, even for the engine oil change did it exactly as I would and have on my prior dry sump Vettes. After draining he filled with ~ 1/2 quart under the table volume estimate and ran the engine ~ 10 minutes until the oil was ~175F. (The typical newbie tech at the large dealer in town would not bother and probably just fill to the volume estimate on a chart! Perhaps with whatever was in the oil change bay in 55 gallon drums, certainly that was not the proper ESP oil.) The Tech then checked the dip stick several times and added about 1/2 quart more to bring it just under the MAX line, as he should.

I brought my 1-inch-high jack pads that allowed him to remove the 4 outer aero pan bolts that are close to the GM oval lift slot. See below where Rick Conti's tech (good guy) does not use those and instead uses the larger diameter jack pads on his lift arms. In a video he said they had to lift and reposition those arms several times to gain access to those 4 bolts!

He also connected his PC to my OBD port and GM's Service Computer to perform the flush. That took about ~10 minutes. We both watched the screen as the software did all the work with the engine running. He used a new quart of fluid and the filter kit lists for $200.

4 bottom outer bolts are very close to the GM lift ovals on the frame. He used a box wrench to remove them as there was room with my 1-inch-high jack pads.

Flush took 10 minutes all done with engine running by GM Service Computer

Tech at Rick Conti in a DCT filter change video said they have to lift several times to reposition the lift arms to gain access to those 4 outer bolts. he uses the large diameter lift pads on his lift! With my Jack Pads Tech could remove those with a box wrench.
Old 07-22-2022, 12:08 PM
mazurekd
Burning Brakes

Received 313 Likes on 150 Posts

My one year anniversary is near the end of August 2022. So I’ll have the servicing dealer change the engine oil and engine filter prior to that (August 17) on my dime. I’ll then wait for August 2023 or just prior to get the freebie engine filter and engine oil along with the transmission filter sevice. But my situation is a bit unique. Just a few hundred miles ago I had my transmission replaced, entire unit. So I feel now is not the optimum time for the change of the transmission filter, still very new. Then in August 2024, I’ll need to do the entire transmission fluid and filter exchange, along with engine oil and filter, on my dime.
Old 07-22-2022, 12:36 PM
frankjr
Burning Brakes

Received 698 Likes on 405 Posts

After doing some research I am going to do what the tech recommended, paying for an oil and filter change within the first year and having the first service done closer to 7,500 miles or within the second year which will be covered by GM.
Old 07-22-2022, 08:29 PM
jagtoes
Racer

Originally Posted by frankjr
After doing some research I am going to do what the tech recommended, paying for an oil and filter change within the first year and having the first service done closer to 7,500 miles or within the second year which will be covered by GM.
I had mine done at 6600 miles after 7 months of ownership.
Old 07-25-2022, 03:53 PM
BigVette427
Drifting

Received 405 Likes on 253 Posts

I may have reposted it but I just stole it from someone else
I'm still not seeing where in the task of DCT filter replacement it says to flush the DCT? I copied the below from somewhere else nearby but tell me where I may be missing something. To me, it reads "This procedure is used to flush the transmission fluid through the filtration system before a repair is performed that may have been caused by debris in the fluid." So if it's a normal DCT filter change, this flush procedure shouldn't be necessary?

Hydraulic System Flush Procedure Diagnostic InstructionsDescriptionThis procedure is used to flush the transmission fluid through the filtration system before a repair is performed that may have been caused by debris in the fluid.

The following will occur when the scan tool control is enabled: Engine Speed = 2,000RPM & Line Pressure = Increase — For 8min
When to Perform the ProcedureNote: Do NOT perform this procedure unless directed here from another procedure.

Perform this procedure before servicing the component: T12Automatic Transmission
Conditions for Running the Procedure
  • DTCs related to the following system/component = Not Set
    • K71 Transmission Control Module
    • T12 Automatic Transmission
  • Brake Pedal = Applied
  • Engine = Running
  • Transmission Fluid Temperature Sensor = Warmer than 50°C (122°F)
  • Transmission Range = P or N
  • Vehicle Speed = 0 km/h (0 MPH)
Reference InformationScan Tool ReferenceControl Module References
With Scan ToolNote: Do NOT perform this procedure unless directed here from another procedure.
  1. Ignition » On / Vehicle » In Service Mode
  2. Select: Module Diagnostics
  3. Select: K71 Transmission Control Module
  4. Select: Configuration/Reset Functions
  5. Select: Hydraulic System Flush Procedure
  6. Follow the instructions on the scan tool. The procedure will complete within 8 min
Repair InstructionsPerform the Diagnostic Repair Verification after completing the repair: Diagnostic Repair Verification

Hydraulic System Leak TestDiagnostic InstructionsDescriptionThis procedure is used to test the transmission for leaks after a repair.

The following will occur when the scan tool control is enabled: Engine Speed = 2,000RPM & Line Pressure = Increase For 1min
When to Perform the ProcedureNote: Do NOT perform this procedure unless directed here from another procedure.

Perform this procedure when the following component has been serviced: T12Automatic Transmission
Conditions for Running the Procedure
  • DTCs related to the following system/component = Not Set
    • K71 Transmission Control Module
    • T12 Automatic Transmission
  • Engine = Running
  • Transmission Fluid Temperature Sensor = Warmer than 50°C (122°F)
  • Transmission Range = P or N
  • Vehicle Speed = 0 km/h (0 MPH)
Reference InformationScan Tool ReferenceControl Module References
With Scan ToolNote: Do NOT perform this procedure unless directed here from another procedure.
  1. Ignition » On / Vehicle » In Service Mode
  2. Select: Module Diagnostics
  3. Select: K71 Transmission Control Module
  4. Select: Configuration/Reset Functions
  5. Select: Hydraulic System Leak Test
  6. Follow the instructions on the scan tool. The procedure will complete within 1 min
Repair InstructionsPerform the Diagnostic Repair Verification after completing the repair: Diagnostic Repair Verification

Get notified of new replies

To C 8 1 st oil change / trans filter / flush

Old 07-25-2022, 04:05 PM
JerryU
E-Ray, 3LZ, ZER, LIFT
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by BigVette427
I'm still not seeing where in the task of DCT filter replacement it says to flush the DCT?.....
FWIW, that is info from some service source, been posted several times.

My Dealer Tech last August (2021) when I had my DCT filter changed (with engine oil service since it was ~12 months from when I got my C8, had ~3500 miles) showed me the statement in the GM Service Computer on what needed to be done. It said something like the flush dislodges possible debris from valves etc into the filter (and the fluid in the filter housing) that is removed when the filter is changed.

Andybump identified some 14 valves in the DCT. Wiith the engine running we could hear "things" operating. Tech and I watched as that same GM computer did all the work. Last screen said Flush Completed Took ~10 minutes

Last edited by JerryU; 07-25-2022 at 06:26 PM.
Old 07-25-2022, 04:36 PM
bhvrdr
Safety Car

Received 2,352 Likes on 1,214 Posts

Originally Posted by BigVette427
I'm still not seeing where in the task of DCT filter replacement it says to flush the DCT?
Step 1

Old 07-25-2022, 04:56 PM
BigVette427
Drifting

Received 405 Likes on 253 Posts

Originally Posted by bhvrdr
Step 1
GL, that's embarrassing. I should probably delete my post but in the sake of wanting to help out others in the forum, perhaps I shall leave it.
bhvrdr (07-25-2022)

Quick Reply: C 8 1 st oil change / trans filter / flush