Notices
C8 General Discussion The place to discuss the next generation of Corvette.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How much over MSRP ?

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2022, 08:33 AM
See8
Pro

Received 649 Likes on 262 Posts

Originally Posted by Zazaboo
How much over MSRP is everyone paying for a new 2022 HTC?
Zero dollars and zero cents. All Chevy dealers very recently received a nasty-gram from GM regarding charging over MSRP, and made a cryptic threat. Presumably, if they continue the practice it will negatively impact their future C8 allocations.
Old 02-16-2022, 08:40 AM
sanman55
Racer

Received 158 Likes on 106 Posts

Originally Posted by Greg00Coupe
I think we all have a real mental hang up with the concept of msrp. A price to acquire is how we purchase everything. If it be seasonal fruit, gas, a steak or cars. Forget msrp, buy what you are comfortable buying and can afford and move on.

5 years ago corvettes were selling 10 15k under msrp. No one complained. This model will also be discounted within 5 years.

If gm raises the 23 prices 10k would people be happy paying msrp then?

Why do folks like to tear down anyone who pays above msrp? They got the money, we’re smart enough to make it ….it’s there choice.

just my random thoughts….but what do I know?
I see your point and there will always be people who have a lot of money but my thoughts are there are a lot of people like me who can barely afford this car, maintance, insurance and all that comes with the joy of driving this baby...When people start paying WAY over what others are paying it puts this car out of range for a lot of people....like me..I hold no ill will to people who have money and are willing to spend but please let me have a sliver of this pie..If everyone is doing this I have no problem but when a few dealers do this I do..GM make a big deal about the price of this baby...Any way I am lucky enough to have mine but would I pay $20,000 more..No I would not, I would just look at the picture and move on ,, never to have enjoyed this girl....and dreaming about...
One lucky guy and I know it......
The following 2 users liked this post by sanman55:
Greg00Coupe (02-16-2022), THX_ZORA (02-16-2022)
Old 02-16-2022, 03:48 PM
Walter Raulerson
Melting Slicks

Received 527 Likes on 355 Posts

0 nada none
Old 02-16-2022, 03:49 PM
Walter Raulerson
Melting Slicks

Received 527 Likes on 355 Posts

See8 I haven't seen it happen yet
Old 02-16-2022, 05:08 PM
BKbroiler
Le Mans Master

Received 706 Likes on 401 Posts

What about right now? Can a new C8 still be bought anywhere for MSRP? Every other new vehicle, from every manufacturer is being sold above MSRP around here.
Old 02-16-2022, 05:24 PM
Phil1098
Race Director

Received 11,617 Likes on 4,644 Posts

Originally Posted by See8
Zero dollars and zero cents. All Chevy dealers very recently received a nasty-gram from GM regarding charging over MSRP, and made a cryptic threat. Presumably, if they continue the practice it will negatively impact their future C8 allocations.
Chevy doesn't care about over MSRP, what pissed them off were dealers telling customers MSRP, taking deposits, waiting a year, and when the car shows up change their minds and tell the buyer it's now over MSRP. That is bad business practice. If a dealer tells you up front it's $5k over list, you can accept it or walk away, nobody gets hurt.
The following 3 users liked this post by Phil1098:
hamta (02-17-2022), heysteveh (02-17-2022), ZB39 (02-16-2022)
Old 02-16-2022, 06:59 PM
ZB39
Intermediate

Received 20 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by BKbroiler
What about right now? Can a new C8 still be bought anywhere for MSRP? Every other new vehicle, from every manufacturer is being sold above MSRP around here.
Same here....Trucks are CRAZY prices.
Old 02-16-2022, 07:42 PM
Washagain
Pro
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 230 Likes on 150 Posts

Had a deal locally where I have bought all of my Vettes for MSRP. After the 18 month wait, my dealer honored the deal. They did charge me an unexpected $1700 dealer prep fee but I let it slide even though they did no prep other than PDI.
Old 02-17-2022, 08:28 AM
frankjr
Burning Brakes

Received 699 Likes on 405 Posts

Originally Posted by Zazaboo
How much over MSRP is everyone paying for a new 2022 HTC?
I waited 9 months to get my C8 for MSRP, but then I had a C7 GS to drive so the wait was not that difficult. Have two people near me that paid the ADM, their choice and $$$.
Old 02-17-2022, 10:13 AM
Enderthex
Racer

Received 221 Likes on 123 Posts

I paid $7k over to be in the "fast line" for allocations... Got an allocation just now after starting the process Dec 20, less than 2 months. The alternative would have been a year+ wait for MSRP at the same dealer.

I'm really happy because I won't have to pay the price increase for 2023, which could be significant because of all my options... I also still get a new car exactly to spec and all the bonuses of being an original owner (Ron fellows).

I don't have a cool car or anything to tide me over... Been driving the same paid off truck for 11 years... I needed something new and exciting (mid life crisis lol) so paying a bit to reduce the wait time is the best move for me.

​​​
The following 2 users liked this post by Enderthex:
frankjr (02-17-2022), SSWIM (02-17-2022)
Old 02-17-2022, 08:07 PM
Madsen
Burning Brakes

Received 88 Likes on 42 Posts

To much
Old 02-17-2022, 08:19 PM
CP
Team Owner

Received 1,126 Likes on 563 Posts

I paid 25k over for a 2020 back in 2020 for a flipped car with 5 miles. I'm glad I did. Suck it up, you naysayers that say I am "retarded, stupid, a moron, has more money than brains". You guys just don't get it and never will so STFU. I am driving and you are whining. Who's having more fun?
The following 3 users liked this post by CP:
Cajuncrawfishco (02-18-2022), Greg00Coupe (02-18-2022), SSWIM (02-18-2022)
Old 02-17-2022, 08:31 PM
DevilDog82
Instructor

Received 166 Likes on 81 Posts

I estimate that I paid $8k over. Mine was ordered by a customer who backed out once it arrived to the dealership. The dealership then added a lot of stuff (5W8 kit, high wing spoiler, paint correction, PPF, ceramic, trident wheels) and sold it to me for well over the sticker price. I did some math on what those upgrades should've fairly cost vs. what I paid and it came to about $8k. There was no line item notating ADM, so they effectively wrapped in their markup by inflating the prices of their add-ons.

As some others have said, you either value your money more or the time savings more. I was willing to pay an $8k premium to have the car that day vs. waiting 12-18 months to order it without a markup, so that was the best option for me.
Old 02-18-2022, 01:13 AM
Cajuncrawfishco
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Default MY dealer was asking 25k market addedvalue they called it!

My dealer was asking 25k over a 86,530 MSRP on my 2LT loaded car I found on line and bought at a straight 100k paying $13,470 over MSRP. ALL things considered I did not wait on a list, found car on line in 5 days of looking, got LUCKY it was not sold and paid straight 100k for a 2022 loaded not convertible either has over 17k in options. With that said, the recent public announcement by the GM President suggesting dealers are NOT to add on these excessive fees was a BIG topic of discussion on this forum weeks ago may still be.

I suggested I would look into if GM would assist me in seeking recovery of any of this previously agreed to "market added value" fee regardless of "agreeing to pay it" which I did do weeks ago! IF GM says it was not to take place (post purchase) cant hurt to seek recovery of fees IF ANY dealer is NOT to impose these excessive fees. Had a few "old timers" more or less laugh saying good luck blah blah blah! Said I would report back when I made some possible progress so here it is.

I found an Executive department that is set up to address owner issues way above the average resources most may find re GM. I filed my request which is now assigned a case # and have direct phone/email to who is looking in to this. Also, there was a POST sale survey sent to me as new car owner signed by a guy way up the totem pole at GM a Dan Hermer title VP North American Quality. I have traded emails with him and he has suggested this route I am taken is best for now where my issue has been addressed a case # etc.

I made my written claim and supplied DOCS showing where the 25k was sold as a "market added value" HA to them NOT us! Openly admitted to paying $13,470 of that and all was fine until I learned through the GM Presidents recent public message that those fees may not be allowed to be charged BY dealers or it may breach their sellers agreement they have with GM. Simply asking if so........will GM support helping a GM client seek recovery of such fees from said dealer. NO resolution yet this is VERY early phases of submitting my claim/request.

I will be happy to report back once a final resolution is known one way or another. Check in hand would be nice but a ways off from that I am sure may not happen! For few people who more or less laughed that's fine! As a long time owner of three businesses, you do not get things you want unless sometimes you ask or go after them.

Great to agree to pay a fee upfront BUT not ok to find out after (as we did) if it was NOT to be charged originally. WHY anyone in same boat (would NOT) seek possible repayment or seek help from GM to go have discussion with dealership who collected fees seems illogical.

May produce nothing but if it does, it certainly wasn't going to happen doing nothing! I will be happy to post end results so anyone THINKING about doing as I am trying to do will know my outcome good or bad etc.

Regardless, in today's market with 20/21s less loaded than mine selling used at 100k +/--_ I am still ok paying 13,470 over MSRP paying 100k as I did BUT hey, if I am entitled to get (any of that) back maybe.......you bet I'll seek it with zero remorse, why wouldn't I/you!

Old 02-18-2022, 01:28 AM
Cajuncrawfishco
Instructor

Default MY dealer was asking 25k market addedvalue they called it!

MY same car with same features MINUS3k in few add ons at dealership on East Coast in FLA was listed at 120k and they would NOT budge when I found mine in Cali and closed at 100k. MSRP was 86,530 so the $13,470 was minimal "mark up" with all features and MSRP pricing on my car.

Truthfully I am amazed some attorney has not looked in to this situation already and IF the dealers are not to charge these fees in the various ways they are.......seems like a simple class action law suit pending.

What Id love to see is a (real) legal opinion posted from an attorney (not a forum renegade know it all lol) post facts of what that sellers agreement the GM President spoke about will allow fee wise to be added on to a new car owner.

I am more than confident I will not be blown off with those I am dealing with now seeking help. This does NOT mean anything other than I will get some resolution and not be blown off. Doesn't mean I will get paid but doesnt mean I will not.

I do not know outcome yet but will post results back when known either way when conclusion is final. Some initially thought I would not get anyone to listen at GM. Well I am well past that point to start! Just had to do some digging/use linked in etc etc!

Last edited by Cajuncrawfishco; 02-18-2022 at 01:39 AM.
Old 02-18-2022, 01:33 AM
lv89019c8
Advanced

Received 40 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by Cajuncrawfishco
if I am entitled to get (any of that) back maybe.......you bet I'll seek it with zero remorse, why wouldn't I/you!
Maybe I am not understanding their warning correctly, but it wasn't that GM was saying not to charge over MSRP - they had an issue with dealerships telling customers with reservations that they could put down a deposit and THEN buy at MSRP, but changing their mind later, and demanding more money to keep the reservation.

It doesn't sound like that was the case for you - you agreed to a price and paid it. Yes it was over MSRP, but you were never promised a car at MSRP, so trying to go after a dealership now for that money back seems very low brow, but that's just me.

To answer your question, "why wouldn't you?", as someone who paid well over MSRP, I'm not the kind of person who would renege on a deal over a few bucks. My name and my word is worth more than that.
Old 02-18-2022, 02:22 AM
Cajuncrawfishco
Instructor

As I said all was good until that announcement and seeking clarification seems to make sense. IF it is determined that they were not to charge these "fees" then why would anyone feel bad about seeking it back! IF it is determined it was all legit then so be it. pretty simple Ill let GM review and determine if it is ok or not. Still doesn't mean anything gets paid back. So your going to tell me if you found out post purchase a dealership was not to collect those fees you'd sit back and do nothing?

That announcement made by GM President covered whole lot of areas on those fees. Has zero to do with going back on my word etc. IF they were authorized to do so great but if they were not and breached an agreement with GM sorry that's on them not me. Too early to tell but again doing nothing then get nothing still may be the case. Seeking clarification one way or another is only way to find out if fees may be paid back or not. BTW opened my case with acknowledging I negotiated the "market added value" down before purchasing car. No secret, yet if they weren't supposed to charge it I would not feel bad at all seeking it back. Thus far cant say with certainty one way or another..but intend to find out

Get notified of new replies

To How much over MSRP ?

Old 02-18-2022, 02:32 AM
Cajuncrawfishco
Instructor

Many of these dealerships are advertising at MSRP on line and ONLY when you call in or show up do they introduce you to these assorted excessive randomly named mark ups fees! Mine was called a "added market value" fee! Seems like IF a dealership is to advertise on line they should indicate all fees associated with the car like these not when you show up or call in OH BTW we want 25k more sorry!! Ok why not list on line upfront? Its a bate and switch and does not look good for the GM brand. Many are advertising on line at MSRP and delivery fees etc etc but drop the good news on you when you show up or call in as mentioned above.

I'll post my outcomes with GM when known. I think after additional research I read, GM had issues with several scenarios going on with these mark ups NOT just the one scenario you mention above!

Don't ask then will never really know. Should I feel bad IF it is determined that they should NOT be charging buyers these fees and they possibly broke an agreement with GM and if so I seek repayment if warranted of said fees?? I wont lose a wink of sleep if that's the case. Too early to know "factually" but I intend to find out, IF all was on the up and up great! IF not bet few others on here would love to know outcome one way or another. I'm not complaining I love my car and willingly agreed to pay THINKING it was legit for dealers to add this fee on. IF it is determined by GM it was not why would I feel bad seeking repayment! I will not nor should anyone else.....seems like common sense. I am not here to argue this or my position. Just said I will report back when final conclusion is known. It is like case law....there really isn't any right now I can find to support either way. I hope to change that soon one way or another so others can see what steps I followed and what the conclusion is one way or the other. Much better than many people posting opinions on this topic without actually going through steps with right people to find out what is or is not allowed and resolutions IF any if determined dealership was in the wrong maybe not!. AS for it being a few bucks $13,470 above MSRP was low margin mark up on 86,530 car but again IF they were not to charge the fees I should feel bad seeing recovery of it? Nope! Too early to know BUT headed in right direction to find out from GM which some said weeks ago good luck no one will listen. Well got past that easily (up the food chain with GM) now just sit and wait now.

Last edited by Cajuncrawfishco; 02-18-2022 at 02:45 AM.
Old 02-18-2022, 09:03 AM
SSWIM
Racer

Received 110 Likes on 65 Posts

Originally Posted by Cajuncrawfishco
My dealer was asking 25k over a 86,530 MSRP on my 2LT loaded car I found on line and bought at a straight 100k paying $13,470 over MSRP. ALL things considered I did not wait on a list, found car on line in 5 days of looking, got LUCKY it was not sold and paid straight 100k for a 2022 loaded not convertible either has over 17k in options. With that said, the recent public announcement by the GM President suggesting dealers are NOT to add on these excessive fees was a BIG topic of discussion on this forum weeks ago may still be.

I suggested I would look into if GM would assist me in seeking recovery of any of this previously agreed to "market added value" fee regardless of "agreeing to pay it" which I did do weeks ago! IF GM says it was not to take place (post purchase) cant hurt to seek recovery of fees IF ANY dealer is NOT to impose these excessive fees. Had a few "old timers" more or less laugh saying good luck blah blah blah! Said I would report back when I made some possible progress so here it is.

I found an Executive department that is set up to address owner issues way above the average resources most may find re GM. I filed my request which is now assigned a case # and have direct phone/email to who is looking in to this. Also, there was a POST sale survey sent to me as new car owner signed by a guy way up the totem pole at GM a Dan Hermer title VP North American Quality. I have traded emails with him and he has suggested this route I am taken is best for now where my issue has been addressed a case # etc.

I made my written claim and supplied DOCS showing where the 25k was sold as a "market added value" HA to them NOT us! Openly admitted to paying $13,470 of that and all was fine until I learned through the GM Presidents recent public message that those fees may not be allowed to be charged BY dealers or it may breach their sellers agreement they have with GM. Simply asking if so........will GM support helping a GM client seek recovery of such fees from said dealer. NO resolution yet this is VERY early phases of submitting my claim/request.

I will be happy to report back once a final resolution is known one way or another. Check in hand would be nice but a ways off from that I am sure may not happen! For few people who more or less laughed that's fine! As a long time owner of three businesses, you do not get things you want unless sometimes you ask or go after them.

Great to agree to pay a fee upfront BUT not ok to find out after (as we did) if it was NOT to be charged originally. WHY anyone in same boat (would NOT) seek possible repayment or seek help from GM to go have discussion with dealership who collected fees seems illogical.

May produce nothing but if it does, it certainly wasn't going to happen doing nothing! I will be happy to post end results so anyone
THINKING about doing as I am trying to do will know my outcome good or bad etc.

Regardless, in today's market with 20/21s less loaded than mine selling used at 100k +/--_ I am still ok paying 13,470 over MSRP paying 100k as I did BUT hey, if I am entitled to get (any of that) back maybe.......you bet I'll seek it with zero remorse, why wouldn't I/you!
Sounds like you actually got a deal. Most dealers are not coming off ADM. Kudos. Plus you have the car.

Sam
Old 02-18-2022, 09:26 AM
Cajuncrawfishco
Instructor

I got very lucky to not wait and find what I found. There are cars out there for sale new ones. I went in to build mine on Chevy's site then searched "inventory" across the US started calling I got very lucky even with the added money above MSRP I paid. Only reason I started researching if those fees were potentially in breach of the dealership agreement is based on whats GM's own president came out with weeks ago. One of those things either what many of these dealerships is/are doing with an assortment of ways to bump their intake is legit OR not. IF not, not my fault nor any other buyers they chose to adhere to that practice. IF it was UN warranted and breached an agreement they have with GM and GM would support a "customer" suggesting to dealerships they pay it back great may be no support at all! May determine no breach or wrong doing at all. Don't know if you don't ask. Asking right people to look in to it is half the battle. I would find it incredibly hard to believe that others on this forum who "paid up" such as myself, would not want to know "factually" not speculation what was or was not ok fee wise above MSRP for the dealers to pass off to those who bought one! At this point I have no clue how it plays out but did identify the right people at GM to find out so for now sit back and wait

Quick Reply: How much over MSRP ?