Notices
C8 General Discussion The place to discuss the next generation of Corvette.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

So Im starting to worry

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2022, 06:08 PM
Harlaquin
Advanced

Received 107 Likes on 36 Posts
Default So Im starting to worry

First let me say I didn't buy the c8 as an "investment" and I enjoy it for what it is a car. But even so anyone myself included does not want to take a bath on an purchase either. This crazy Car market I think is dyeing down and im starting to think maybe I should dump the C8 and then rebuy later when they are cheaper. Why am I thinking this? well im my area anyway, there are at least 2 used c8s at all three local Chevy dealers and several new ones. They are not exactly hard to find any more. A quick search on auto trader and there is currently 2,213 C8s for sale on that site alone. Seems most people don't want anything other then the one they ordered as the others are sitting. So many people just bought these to drive for 3k miles and then flip that they are sitting everywhere. plus a guy who bought his at the same time as my about 4 months ago, the dealer bought it back because the transmission already failed and gm cant get them a spare transmission so basically they cant fix it right now at all and so bought it back. I asked if they gave him all his money back and they wouldn't answer so I'm guessing no. Anyway all that put together i wondering if I should sell now while prices are still up and then just rebuy when they eventually plummet from the glut of these things sitting. I know every area of the country is different and where you are they might be hard to find but in my area they are starting to pile up and i figure soon they wouldn't be hard to find really.

Popular Reply

02-02-2022, 06:19 PM
Rapid Z
Safety Car

Received 3,608 Likes on 1,499 Posts

Originally Posted by Harlaquin
First let me say I didn't buy the c8 as an "investment" and I enjoy it for what it is a car. But even so anyone myself included does not want to take a bath on an purchase either. This crazy Car market I think is dyeing down and im starting to think maybe I should dump the C8 and then rebuy later when they are cheaper. Why am I thinking this? well im my area anyway, there are at least 2 used c8s at all three local Chevy dealers and several new ones. They are not exactly hard to find any more. A quick search on auto trader and there is currently 2,213 C8s for sale on that site alone. Seems most people don't want anything other then the one they ordered as the others are sitting. So many people just bought these to drive for 3k miles and then flip that they are sitting everywhere. plus a guy who bought his at the same time as my about 4 months ago, the dealer bought it back because the transmission already failed and gm cant get them a spare transmission so basically they cant fix it right now at all and so bought it back. I asked if they gave him all his money back and they wouldn't answer so I'm guessing no. Anyway all that put together i wondering if I should sell now while prices are still up and then just rebuy when they eventually plummet from the glut of these things sitting. I know every area of the country is different and where you are they might be hard to find but in my area they are starting to pile up and i figure soon they wouldn't be hard to find really.
Yes Autotrader has many C8s for sale but most are $25-30K over federal window sticker. As long as you paid MSRP you have nothing to worry about. IMO there will be no cheap C8s in the future. Nothing is going to "plummet" any time soon.
Old 02-02-2022, 06:19 PM
Rapid Z
Safety Car

Yes Autotrader has many C8s for sale but most are $25-30K over federal window sticker. As long as you paid MSRP you have nothing to worry about. IMO there will be no cheap C8s in the future. Nothing is going to "plummet" any time soon.
The following 9 users liked this post by Rapid Z:
blkvett01 (02-03-2022), C8R-Owner (02-02-2022), Dakota Slim (02-03-2022), Fast Dawg (02-03-2022), Legion (07-19-2023), LIE2ME (02-03-2022), newc8vette (02-03-2022), progtp (02-03-2022), RobsVette04 (02-02-2022) and 4 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 02-02-2022, 06:19 PM
AzDave47
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 4,532 Likes on 2,610 Posts

How much over MSRP are those used C8s going for that are just sitting there. +$10K, 15, 20, more?
The following users liked this post:
ZB39 (02-03-2022)
Old 02-02-2022, 06:28 PM
MattMD
Burning Brakes

Received 1,226 Likes on 521 Posts

Sell it for $15k over and in 1-2 years buy someone else’s used for around MSRP and pay sales tax again I just don’t see the point. Just enjoy it. It’s a car. If you want to gamble to make $10k go buy stock options or go bet the LA Rams money line.
The following 9 users liked this post by MattMD:
arcticblast (02-03-2022), C8R-Owner (02-02-2022), Dakota Slim (02-03-2022), jfw949 (02-03-2022), jmeyer58 (02-03-2022), Lit (02-02-2022), newc8vette (02-03-2022), sanman55 (02-03-2022), seacliffe301 (02-12-2022) and 4 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 02-02-2022, 06:29 PM
blueapplepaste
Pro

Received 801 Likes on 292 Posts

It's simple:

If your goal is to make a quick buck, the sell it. But don't expect prices to normalize anytime soon. You won't be buying one off the lot below MSRP in the next few years.

Or if you genuinely enjoy the car, keep it, enjoy it, and go make $10k in profit in some other venture. Even after only having my car two weeks and 250 miles later, the enjoyment I'm already getting is priceless. No way I'm selling it.
The following 4 users liked this post by blueapplepaste:
Dakota Slim (02-03-2022), GiGNet (02-03-2022), Legion (07-19-2023), sanman55 (02-03-2022)
Old 02-02-2022, 06:32 PM
RK43
Pro

Received 423 Likes on 221 Posts

Name:  subDddA.jpg
Views: 34
Size:  30.8 KB
The following 2 users liked this post by RK43:
jmeyer58 (02-03-2022), NakedDave (02-02-2022)
Old 02-02-2022, 06:33 PM
Harlaquin
Advanced

Originally Posted by C8Smurf
you dont think when the eventual z06 and the other 2 or 3 more powerful variants come out and then all these regular c8s are all over they wont go down in price? define not plummet . IN just the 4 months I have had mine my dealer offers to buy it have gone from 130k down to 90k. To me 40k is a plummet in price. I paid msrp and its 21 3lt z51 fully optioned and out of curiosity I drove around one Saturday to 10 dealers all Chevy in 2 states and 90 was the highest offer from one dealer all the rest were under ( average 80k) what I paid ( 87,445) and not over which has been the norm this past year and why im thinking these prices are coming down and will continue to come down. and now seeing that other brand new c8 sitting at the dealer with a blow transmission and no way to fix it makes me nervous when it is close the its different then just reading stories about bad transmission problems on the net.
Old 02-02-2022, 06:42 PM
vivasantana
Burning Brakes

Received 187 Likes on 115 Posts

Sounds like you have your answer then!

Rock on Santana! Rock on!
Six decades strong!

93 Vette
​​​​​​​74 Capri (modified)
Old 02-02-2022, 06:49 PM
Harlaquin
Advanced

Originally Posted by MattMD
Sell it for $15k over and in 1-2 years buy someone else’s used for around MSRP and pay sales tax again I just don’t see the point. Just enjoy it. It’s a car. If you want to gamble to make $10k go buy stock options or go bet the LA Rams money line.
So because I dont know for sure are 2019 c7s used selling for msrp? why would you think the used c8 would be msrp in a few years?
Old 02-02-2022, 06:55 PM
Harlaquin
Advanced

Originally Posted by blueapplepaste
It's simple:

If your goal is to make a quick buck, the sell it. But don't expect prices to normalize anytime soon. You won't be buying one off the lot below MSRP in the next few years.

Or if you genuinely enjoy the car, keep it, enjoy it, and go make $10k in profit in some other venture. Even after only having my car two weeks and 250 miles later, the enjoyment I'm already getting is priceless. No way I'm selling it.
2 weeks and only 250 miles... Hell I hit my engine restriction unlock in a day and a half. If you enjoy it now wait till you hit 500 miles
Old 02-02-2022, 06:59 PM
JABCAT
Race Director

Received 8,899 Likes on 4,285 Posts
2020 C6 of the Year Winner - Modified

you dont think when the eventual z06 and the other 2 or 3 more powerful variants come out and then all these regular c8s are all over they wont go down in price? define not plummet . IN just the 4 months I have had mine my dealer offers to buy it have gone from 130k down to 90k. To me 40k is a plummet in price. I paid msrp and its 21 3lt z51 fully optioned and out of curiosity I drove around one Saturday to 10 dealers all Chevy in 2 states and 90 was the highest offer from one dealer all the rest were under ( average 80k) what I paid ( 87,445) and not over which has been the norm this past year and why im thinking these prices are coming down and will continue to come down. and now seeing that other brand new c8 sitting at the dealer with a blow transmission and no way to fix it makes me nervous when it is close the its different then just reading stories about bad transmission problems on the net.
I doubt any dealer was offering you $130k for a $87k Z51, if so, you should have taken it. With taxes & fees, you're probably into the car for about $95k give or take? So you'd have to sell it for that much to break even and then hope you can get another one for less total out the door down the road to come out ahead. I just don't see that happening soon.
The following 3 users liked this post by JABCAT:
BatesC8 (02-03-2022), hokieZ (02-02-2022), Jim-Layhee (02-04-2022)
Old 02-02-2022, 07:04 PM
Phil1098
Race Director

Received 11,623 Likes on 4,650 Posts

If you believe any of this, just sell the car.
The following 6 users liked this post by Phil1098:
imaposer (02-03-2022), jpmotorsport (02-03-2022), NakedDave (02-02-2022), progtp (02-03-2022), Ramcer (02-02-2022), tsigwing (02-02-2022) and 1 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 02-02-2022, 07:06 PM
MattMD
Burning Brakes

Received 1,226 Likes on 521 Posts

So because I dont know for sure are 2019 c7s used selling for msrp? why would you think the used c8 would be msrp in a few years?
The market is stupid. You can see 2016 C7s at or around MSRP. 2019s are at or above MSRP. Maybe undesirable spec C8 will be below MSRP in a few years but with extended shortage it’s going to take years to normalize. Who knows.
Old 02-02-2022, 07:17 PM
tsigwing
Burning Brakes

Received 978 Likes on 421 Posts

If getting rid of your car is a "dump" then yes, you should.
Old 02-02-2022, 07:31 PM
Rapid Z
Safety Car

Nope because at best there is a 3 year wait on a Z06 and God only knows what the dealer up charges will be. I see no chance that you will ever see a cheap C8 of any kind.
The following users liked this post:
newc8vette (02-03-2022)
Old 02-02-2022, 07:42 PM
AORoads
Team Owner

Received 2,485 Likes on 1,947 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15
"In honor of jpee"

I think you have a point. And again, in your area, and for you, what you attempt to do---sell---may be the right thing for YOU to do. Maybe no one else agrees, but first, it's your car and second, it's your money that you already spent, and yours that you MAY spend again. I don't think anyone has a magic knowledge of what will happen in 6 mos., 1 yr., 2 yrs. If you're feeling the way you do, then do what makes you think will work for YOU.
Old 02-02-2022, 07:43 PM
Harlaquin
Advanced

Originally Posted by JABCAT
I doubt any dealer was offering you $130k for a $87k Z51, if so, you should have taken it. With taxes & fees, you're probably into the car for about $95k give or take? So you'd have to sell it for that much to break even and then hope you can get another one for less total out the door down the road to come out ahead. I just don't see that happening soon.
well they did so... was at the top of the hype and the dealer couldn't get any and had many people asking for them at the time.

Get notified of new replies

To So Im starting to worry

Old 02-02-2022, 07:45 PM
Harlaquin
Advanced

Originally Posted by C8Smurf
Nope because at best there is a 3 year wait on a Z06 and God only knows what the dealer up charges will be. I see no chance that you will ever see a cheap C8 of any kind.
IM on three dealer lists for the z06 with deposits and signed will be sold at msrp paperwork. I am 2nd , 4th and 6th on said lists. I wont be waiting 3 years. Im 2nd on the list at the dealer i bought my c8 from and that dealer sold over 100 c8s and are in a major city so i am sure they will at least get 2 z06s

Last edited by Harlaquin; 02-02-2022 at 07:55 PM.
Old 02-02-2022, 07:54 PM
Harlaquin
Advanced

Originally Posted by AORoads
I think you have a point. And again, in your area, and for you, what you attempt to do---sell---may be the right thing for YOU to do. Maybe no one else agrees, but first, it's your car and second, it's your money that you already spent, and yours that you MAY spend again. I don't think anyone has a magic knowledge of what will happen in 6 mos., 1 yr., 2 yrs. If you're feeling the way you do, then do what makes you think will work for YOU.
Thank you for this reply, mostly im just seeking input and conversation. I think people fail to realize that cars and availability and prices change across the nation. just because they cant get them where they are and their local dealer has a 200 deep wait list and prices are high there and markups are crazy there does not mean its the same everywhere. hell just a few days ago a lt1 sold at Barret jackson for 155k but someone else does not believe i was offered 130k for a 3ltz51. I also know a guy who had a deposit on a msrp c8 and then had to turn around when it was delivered and bid on his own car because he didn't have paper work and a guy in the showroom offered more money the other guy got the car because he offered 140k for a 2lt . that would never happen where i live, that is some big city people with money stuff. I live out in the mountains with poor people the car economics here aren't the same and probably why msrp is easy to find and cars will sit a while. There are dealers with in a few hours of me where you can still be in single digits on the wait list while out west some dealers have 300 plus deep wait lists. my point is it varies and some people cant understand things everywhere are not like it is where they are and just because they cant or dont does not mean others elsewhere cant or dont.
Old 02-02-2022, 08:13 PM
mjhoward
Instructor

Received 280 Likes on 94 Posts

IM on three dealer lists for the z06 with deposits and signed will be sold at msrp paperwork. I am 2nd , 4th and 6th on said lists. I wont be waiting 3 years. Im 2nd on the list at the dealer i bought my c8 from and that dealer sold over 100 c8s and are in a major city so i am sure they will at least get 2 z06s
So if you are on a z06 list with a dealer that got 'over 100 c8s' and are #2 on that list, you would presumably get one of the first z06's off the line. Why would you rebuy your stingray later after the price 'plummets' if, according to you, you would already have a z06? Also, the area of the country has little impact on a car like this. Do you really think everyone from MacMulkin lives even remotely close to NH? This thread is stupid.
The following 7 users liked this post by mjhoward:
Geezer1 (02-03-2022), Mike9865 (02-03-2022), NakedDave (02-02-2022), p4snow (02-03-2022), Phil1098 (02-02-2022), shatter (02-03-2022), tafletcher (02-03-2022) and 2 others liked this post. (Show less...)

Quick Reply: So Im starting to worry