Notices
C8 General Discussion The place to discuss the next generation of Corvette.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Coughlin said msrp then added a last minute package

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2022, 08:20 PM
JMills
Drifting

Received 792 Likes on 331 Posts
2024 Corvette of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2023 C2 of the Year Winner - Unmodified
2022 C2 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2020 C8 of the Year Winner - Unmodified
2020 C6 of the Year Winner - Unmodified
2020 C2 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2017 C2 of the Year Finalist
2016 C2 of the Year Finalist

Originally Posted by Bird67
Oh, please...

sorry! Did not mean to offend you or come across as arrogant!
Old 02-08-2022, 10:58 AM
Big Lebowski
Le Mans Master

Received 4,015 Likes on 1,690 Posts

Originally Posted by Greg00Coupe
You guys never learn. You do a search there are many negative posts about Conti and now coughlin. There is no other dealer, I might even say add up all the other complaints about other dealers that get the number if negative comments from these clowns.

one post said whats Conti to do say no to his boss? When Hendrick Duluth pulled this stuff their head corvette sales guy Chris bailed. Said it was bs I’m moving on. Conti been to 4 or 5 dealers in the last 20 years, there are many more.
4 or 5? Really? He's been at Coughlin for about 15 years, and the Chevy dealer in Wisconsin near Road America prior to that. EVS I think? What are the other 3+ dealers he worked at in the prior 5 years? Again, I'm not defending his behavior but if you're going to nail the guy for being a blow hard, I wouldn't exaggerate with misinformation to make a point. I respect alot of what you have to say on the forum, and whether he's been at 1 or 10 dealers, its irrelevant.
Old 02-08-2022, 11:21 AM
*89x2*
Team Owner

Received 2,104 Likes on 1,076 Posts

EVS
Spitzer
Coughlin

...not sure where he was, if anywhere, prior to EVS. Don’t really care, just stating what I know.
Old 02-08-2022, 11:44 AM
fraub
Advanced

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

I took delivery from Rick in mid January. I have purchased several cars from him and I do like him, but when I showed up for delivery I was charged $2,395 for an Ally Service Contract and he wanted me to finance the purchase. When I questioned Rick on the protection plan I was told I agreed to this at the time of allocation. Even though I have bought several cars from Rick in the past this was my first C8 purchase so I was surprised and not expecting anyone to lie or extort. Happy ending is the car is great and Ally refunded the $2395. Last, lesson relearned on trusting people you have trusted in the past.

Last edited by fraub; 02-08-2022 at 12:32 PM. Reason: changed from him to anyone
Old 02-08-2022, 11:53 AM
JPierquet
Racer

Received 312 Likes on 119 Posts

Originally Posted by fraub
I took delivery from Rick in mid January. I have purchased several cars from him and I do like him, but when I showed up for delivery I was charged $2,395 for an Ally Service Contract and he wanted me to finance the purchase. When I questioned Rick on the protection plan I was told I agreed to this at the time of allocation. Even though I have bought several cars from Rick in the past this was my first C8 purchase so I was surprised and not expecting him to lie or extort. Happy ending is the car is great and Ally refunded the $2395. Last, lesson relearned on trusting people you have trusted in the past.
I am glad that it worked out for you in the end. But according to your version, he blatantly lied to your face. When you purchase a service contract, there are multiple options based on miles and time. I am sure you would have remembered that discussion, if it was had. Wow. At least he could have been man enough to say that the dealership is now requiring this, but to lie and say he told you. That in my mind is worse.
The following 2 users liked this post by JPierquet:
Rapid Fred (02-08-2022), Red rag (02-08-2022)
Old 02-08-2022, 12:03 PM
TBIRD57
Race Director

Received 235 Likes on 178 Posts

Originally Posted by Ryder2020
Has anyone had this happen to them a Coughlin of Pataskala. I ordered my c8 in March of 21 was told car would be msrp. All summer long no change car still at msrp. Car got built in October and was told then that I had to buy there C8 package, extended warranty, wheel and tire warranty, ppf and ceramic coating.... salesman said he didn't know the price. I went in a week later to sign the papers and was told the package would cost 12 grand and it was either buy the package or don't get the car. I bought the package even though I wasn't happy about it. I'm curious if I'm the only one that Coughlin has done this too.
Edit.... guys I'm not trying to bash anyone at Coughlin or the dealer. This post was to see if others were made to buy the same package as me when purchasing there C8.
ordered it in march? imo these type of dealers know your desperation and are willing to take advantage.
Old 02-08-2022, 01:27 PM
Broken Halo
Melting Slicks

Received 1,737 Likes on 836 Posts

Originally Posted by JMills
I will actually be paying under MSRP —— but I have unusual connections! 🥃🥃
I guess I paid under MSRP too. My dealer filled up my gas tank when I took delivery and didn't tack the cost on to my MSRP price.
The following 3 users liked this post by Broken Halo:
Davet435 (02-08-2022), JMills (02-08-2022), Mike23 (03-10-2024)
Old 02-08-2022, 05:13 PM
Ryder2020
Advanced

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by speedlink
Good quote "Tommy Boy"
Edit... my 12 grand just changed to 8 grand because I was able to cancel my extended warranty. Ill keep the wheel and tire warranty. And the ppf and ceramic coating i would of done anyways, i just got charged more fir it with the dealer being the middle man.
The following users liked this post:
JABCAT (02-08-2022)
Old 02-08-2022, 05:21 PM
logjar23
Intermediate

Received 26 Likes on 11 Posts

Edit... my 12 grand just changed to 8 grand because I was able to cancel my extended warranty. Ill keep the wheel and tire warranty. And the ppf and ceramic coating i would of done anyways, i just got charged more fir it with the dealer being the middle man.
So Coughlin actually does PPF and ceramic coating in house?
Ryder2020 (02-08-2022)
Old 02-08-2022, 05:28 PM
hope2
Safety Car

Received 358 Likes on 241 Posts

Originally Posted by tsigwing
I would cancel everything that you can. wheel and tire, extended warranty, everything possible. If you financed with them, refi with anyone else immediately.
Check that prepayment penalty before you pull trigger on refinance. The other stuff, deep six it quick as possible.
Old 02-08-2022, 05:30 PM
hope2
Safety Car

Originally Posted by Broken Halo
I guess I paid under MSRP too. My dealer filled up my gas tank when I took delivery and didn't tack the cost on to my MSRP price.
Full gas tank, I believe, is a GM requirement. I bought a 67 from a chevy dealer here little while ago and we drove and filled tank, said he had to.
Old 02-08-2022, 05:35 PM
hope2
Safety Car

Originally Posted by logjar23
I read on another post awhile back that it was a fairly common practice for the dealership to want you to finance the car thru one of their banks even if it's just a few months Do the big 3 Corvette Dealership's suggest the same thing?
Shop interest rate, upfront cost and prepayment penalty. Easier to do at dealer if same deal. We did short credit app and done at Porsche dealer. 2.5% for 72 mos, no upfront and no prepayment.
Old 02-08-2022, 05:38 PM
Ryder2020
Advanced

Originally Posted by logjar23
So Coughlin actually does PPF and ceramic coating in house?
they said it was in house but it was sent out to two different shops. One for ppf and another shop for ceramic coating. Only way I found that out was I had to have some of the ppf fixed and coughlin told me where to take it to.
Old 02-08-2022, 05:52 PM
Greg00Coupe
Race Director

Received 1,995 Likes on 1,150 Posts

Originally Posted by *89x2*
EVS
Spitzer
Coughlin

...not sure where he was, if anywhere, prior to EVS. Don’t really care, just stating what I know.

He was at Spitzer in Amherst up to about 2003 ish. Left there and went to evs, then back to ne Ohio at a dealer around mentor, I looked, would recognized the name but they must have been bought out. Then off to coughlin.

So 4 that I know of but I’m not a fan and don’t follow him.

My experience is as follows…. My first corvette, my dream car a 2000 c5. I see his name as the guy to go to for a c5. So wife and I go to Amherst…..they had a separate corvette showroom. Now I’m not much for fashion. If my corvettes were like my wardrobe I’d be in a yugo. Wife and I were in the corvette showroom in January, no one else there. We start walking to the main showroom and pass a guy, he does not speak, nor acknowledge us, seems like a tire kicker too, guess I looked like I could not afford a corvette. I go into the main showroom, a young salesman named Steve Donat, asks If he could help. Yes looking for Rick. He says you just passed him! Steve says I’ll go get him, I said don’t bother you’ll do. Steve says I know nothing about corvettes….you’ll do. Steve made a sale.

I picked torch with a grey interior. When the order was to be placed Steve called and said Rick does not like the color combo, hard to resale. I told Steve if he’s paying he can order what he wants.

Last time I checked Steve was sales manager at Spitzer.

People speak highly of Spitzer who I know have bought from them.

I did do business with coughlin on a 13 gs. I told them up front I want no interface with Rick.

Ive seen Rick here and there mostly at Ohio car shows……all I can say it it does not surprise how his stunts and blogs go…..he’s full of himself.

But hey buy where you want, it’s your money.
The following 2 users liked this post by Greg00Coupe:
Big Lebowski (02-08-2022), JABCAT (02-08-2022)
Old 02-08-2022, 08:48 PM
Big Lebowski
Le Mans Master

Received 4,015 Likes on 1,690 Posts

Originally Posted by Greg00Coupe
He was at Spitzer in Amherst up to about 2003 ish. Left there and went to evs, then back to ne Ohio at a dealer around mentor, I looked, would recognized the name but they must have been bought out. Then off to coughlin.

So 4 that I know of but I’m not a fan and don’t follow him.

My experience is as follows…. My first corvette, my dream car a 2000 c5. I see his name as the guy to go to for a c5. So wife and I go to Amherst…..they had a separate corvette showroom. Now I’m not much for fashion. If my corvettes were like my wardrobe I’d be in a yugo. Wife and I were in the corvette showroom in January, no one else there. We start walking to the main showroom and pass a guy, he does not speak, nor acknowledge us, seems like a tire kicker too, guess I looked like I could not afford a corvette. I go into the main showroom, a young salesman named Steve Donat, asks If he could help. Yes looking for Rick. He says you just passed him! Steve says I’ll go get him, I said don’t bother you’ll do. Steve says I know nothing about corvettes….you’ll do. Steve made a sale.

I picked torch with a grey interior. When the order was to be placed Steve called and said Rick does not like the color combo, hard to resale. I told Steve if he’s paying he can order what he wants.

Last time I checked Steve was sales manager at Spitzer.

People speak highly of Spitzer who I know have bought from them.

I did do business with coughlin on a 13 gs. I told them up front I want no interface with Rick.

Ive seen Rick here and there mostly at Ohio car shows……all I can say it it does not surprise how his stunts and blogs go…..he’s full of himself.

But hey buy where you want, it’s your money.
Greg, yeah that would rub me the wrong way too. I understand where you’re coming from and think I’d feel the same way. I just don’t care for people railing on someone who’ve never met the guy. I apologize for challenging you because, for what it’s worth, I think you have earned the right to sound off on the Rick…not that my opinion matters.

I’ve talked to him many times over the years, and had very positive and helpful experiences with him, leading to me purchasing a ‘12 GS and my ‘22 C8 HTC from him. As I said above, I’m not defending him because I’m not happy with how an MSRP C8 deal from the beginning became a “buy our extended warranty and you have to finance through us” deal. I’m not naive enough to believe that management forced this on him and it was out of his hands. Also as I said WAY above, when I found out they were taking “bids” on their Z06 allocations, I went elsewhere to get on a Z06 list. I guess bottomline, they lost my future business over a lousy half point financing and a few grand for an extended warranty.
Old 02-08-2022, 09:05 PM
Davet435
Racer

Received 164 Likes on 109 Posts

Has anyone had this happen to them a Coughlin of Pataskala. I ordered my c8 in March of 21 was told car would be msrp. All summer long no change car still at msrp. Car got built in October and was told then that I had to buy there C8 package, extended warranty, wheel and tire warranty, ppf and ceramic coating.... salesman said he didn't know the price. I went in a week later to sign the papers and was told the package would cost 12 grand and it was either buy the package or don't get the car. I bought the package even though I wasn't happy about it. I'm curious if I'm the only one that Coughlin has done this too.
Edit.... guys I'm not trying to bash anyone at Coughlin or the dealer. This post was to see if others were made to buy the same package as me when purchasing there C8.

I would write a letter to Steve Carlisle about this. The more of these situations these execs have to see first hand the faster this kind of stuff will come to an end. GM isn’t happy about this kind of stuff. They are smart enough to know this is damaging to their reputation and it’s costing them units. People may buy the Vette but when they need a truck or another vehicle there is a good chance they’ll look elsewhere. It’s a shame the dealers don’t see the big picture. Since I placed my order, and started getting jerked around, I bought an F-150 Lariat and my daughter, with my help, bought a Nissan. If I had been treated right one or possibly both those vehicles would have been GM products. I assume you’ve seen the letter Mr Carlisle sent out to dealerships. All they would have to do is pull allocations from one or two dealerships, make examples out of them, and everyone else would fall in line. The way I’ve been treated I’m half expecting something like this, even though I verified I’m paying MSRP when I got allocation. The difference being I’ll walk and I’ll write a letter to every GM exec and include a picture of my current stable which will include a Toyota Supra if I walk.
Old 02-08-2022, 09:29 PM
Davet435
Racer

Received 164 Likes on 109 Posts

How did the PPF turn out? I’ve only seen one dealer job and it wasn’t great.

Get notified of new replies

To Coughlin said msrp then added a last minute package

Old 02-08-2022, 10:11 PM
Ryder2020
Advanced

Originally Posted by Davet435
How did the PPF turn out? I’ve only seen one dealer job and it wasn’t great.
turned out great. My dealer didn't actually do it, they use an outside company to do it.
Davet435 (02-09-2022)
Old 02-09-2022, 09:18 AM
Warp Ten
Drifting

Received 598 Likes on 350 Posts

Good glad you are satisfied (maybe not happy) with the Add-On's that Mr. Jones wanted you to have. I'm a little confused why you were singled out by Mr. Jones to have all of this Add-On without any written agreement. His bio states he want to be a customer focused person. Have you asked Mr. Jones why he added these items to your car?
Old 02-09-2022, 10:01 AM
Greg00Coupe
Race Director

Received 1,995 Likes on 1,150 Posts

Originally Posted by Big Lebowski
Greg, yeah that would rub me the wrong way too. I understand where you’re coming from and think I’d feel the same way. I just don’t care for people railing on someone who’ve never met the guy. I apologize for challenging you because, for what it’s worth, I think you have earned the right to sound off on the Rick…not that my opinion matters.

I’ve talked to him many times over the years, and had very positive and helpful experiences with him, leading to me purchasing a ‘12 GS and my ‘22 C8 HTC from him. As I said above, I’m not defending him because I’m not happy with how an MSRP C8 deal from the beginning became a “buy our extended warranty and you have to finance through us” deal. I’m not naive enough to believe that management forced this on him and it was out of his hands. Also as I said WAY above, when I found out they were taking “bids” on their Z06 allocations, I went elsewhere to get on a Z06 list. I guess bottomline, they lost my future business over a lousy half point financing and a few grand for an extended warranty.

No problem here...... WE are all blessed to drive what we do and I'm good with different views. I could add more but the more would be beyond business dealing and I'm not going beyond the business issues. Warm weather is coming!!!!
Big Lebowski (02-09-2022)

Quick Reply: Coughlin said msrp then added a last minute package