Notices
C8 General Discussion The place to discuss the next generation of Corvette.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Negative Friends Hating on your C8

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2022, 03:11 PM
Majestic94
Safety Car

Received 1,913 Likes on 1,020 Posts

Originally Posted by Kracka
The worst comment I've received from a "friend" so far that the Stingray is "slow" and I should have waited for a Z06... I replied that I'd rather be driving today than dreaming about tomorrow!
I’m gonna guess they have neither?
Old 01-28-2022, 03:15 PM
Old Yellow
Pro

Received 62 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by bilzvette
Join a local Corvette club and develop a new circle of friends!
bill
I agree with this.
My friends are all car people and understand me.
My 50-year-old son is the one person in my life that doesn't even acknowledge it exists. But he drives a BMW so who cares what he thinks.

Ed
The following users liked this post:
Jlang1 (02-01-2022)
Old 01-28-2022, 03:21 PM
ChiefBoats

Location: NNCC No Name Car Crew Owned 1 C2, 2 C3's, 1 C4, 3 C5's, 1 C6, 2 C7's Now '81, '86, '03.
Received 3,949 Likes on 1,624 Posts
2024 Corvette of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2023 C3 of the Year Wnner - Unmodified
2023 C5 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
St. Jude Donor '21-'22-'23-'24

Folks of that ilk are just uninformed or ignorant of what the car represents or means to you. Just say, "gee, that's too bad you don't like it but I'm certainly having fun with it."

Last edited by ChiefBoats; 01-28-2022 at 05:29 PM.
Old 01-28-2022, 03:50 PM
C21ban
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 704 Likes on 369 Posts
2022 C8 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified

OP, just keep doing what you do. Seems like it has worked for you regardless of the jealousy shown by those around you as well as others telling you how to run your financial life. Seems as though you have done okay. Enjoy the car.
Old 01-28-2022, 04:02 PM
Steverino88
Advanced

Received 43 Likes on 21 Posts

Three types of people -
Those who make things happen
Those who watch things happen
Those who say “what happened”
Now there is a new type - friends who aren’t real friends and should be considered acquaintances or just passers by.
Landru (01-29-2022)
Old 01-28-2022, 04:08 PM
Zixxer
Racer

Received 53 Likes on 35 Posts

First off, if that's your garage...the wood is beautiful.

I have friends that know I tend to buy nice vehicles, trade them often, and getting a Corvette after having a couple of Hellcats was just silly. Not one of them said a negative comment and all were very supportive. I grew up poor and have worked very hard to get to this place (56 now) so don't sweat the small stuff...enjoy it. I'm the same way and would never rain on someone's parade. Always be supportive of what your friends do or want unless it's illegal, immoral, or unethical. You earned it, you spend it. You may need to consider how many are true friends.

Well done!
Old 01-28-2022, 04:10 PM
jimmyb
Race Director

Received 4,250 Likes on 2,023 Posts

OP needs new friends
Old 01-28-2022, 04:15 PM
PLC8
Instructor

Received 118 Likes on 46 Posts

Originally Posted by Zixxer
First off, if that's your garage...the wood is beautiful.

I have friends that know I tend to buy nice vehicles, trade them often, and getting a Corvette after having a couple of Hellcats was just silly. Not one of them said a negative comment and all were very supportive. I grew up poor and have worked very hard to get to this place (56 now) so don't sweat the small stuff...enjoy it. I'm the same way and would never rain on someone's parade. Always be supportive of what your friends do or want unless it's illegal, immoral, or unethical. You earned it, you spend it. You may need to consider how many are true friends.

Well done!
Thanks yes the wood turned out great ( it may have gotten a little over the top but I love it and have no plans to move
Old 01-28-2022, 04:47 PM
GoldRose85
Drifting

Received 1,318 Likes on 742 Posts

OP..

Great Looking C8 ! and Congrats on getting a dream car !

My take, and I am going to be polite to your “Friends” and take their side, sort of....

You stated

“Why would you buy something like that etc . So much negative I guess it’s jealousy but it sure is a downer anyone else experience this reaction from anyone .
A little background info I’m 44 this is the first time I have ever owned a Corvette ( and it’s awesome I’m hooked ). I grew up pretty poor but worked real hard for everything I have. I opened my own contracting company “

That tells me a few things “you opened your own contracting company” Good for you !

That tells me who your friends are, Contractors and blue collar workers who have a truck for work, most contractors I know drive Pick ups and SUV for their business. That is their way of life. Probably brought up to get a truck with 4 wheel drive, something you could use for work. To make Money. That is what they know. Its hard for them to understand why a Corvette would be something you need for a business. Not Jealously, they are just practical. What they can afford. What they need to make a living.

I got my first Corvette at 17 when I was in High School. Had then ever since l When I started my business when I was in my 30’s, I was happy to drive my Corvette to appointments, just because I loved the car, not to show off. I found after a while that I was losing jobs because when the people saw me drive up in the Corvette, that I was too expensive and I didn’t get the work, even though I was a lot less expensive than the big boys.

My best friend still, since college, always drove Pick ups and Chevy Blazers, 4 wheel drives. He had Corvettes all the time and I could never understand why he drove trucks when he had Corvettes. ( I drove mine all year long, only thing I had) I never thought about trucks and after many years he finally got me to buy a Chevy Blazer…Had to have 4 wheel drive. This was in the 80’s.

He was a hunter and lived in the country and was brought up to always have a work truck or 4 wheel drive vehicle. He has over the years got me into out backing, snowmobiling, and we have had many field trips with our 4 wheel drives. I have to this day we always have had Corvettes and a 4 wheel drive Vehicle. Its my wife who wants both. She has her Grand Cherokee and her Corvette and I have mine.

So back to your friends, I don’t think that are Jealous, they just don’t understand the practicality of you getting a Corvette. Limited Income, need a vehicle to get to work, get groceries, take the kids to school and sports events.

Give them a break and don’t flaunt the Car and give them a ride as an award and a thrill !

Enjoy your new Corvette !
Old 01-28-2022, 04:54 PM
Ringmaster
Racer

Received 304 Likes on 132 Posts

Buy a BMW and it's worse.
Old 01-28-2022, 04:56 PM
Jermain08
Instructor

Received 102 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by PLC8
I love my new car I haven’t been boastful that I have it . The only way anyone knows I have it is if the have come over and we went to the garage which is typically what we do . I have heard so many negative comments about why I would need such a car ,Why would you buy something like that etc . So much negative I guess it’s jealousy but it sure is a downer anyone else experience this reaction from anyone .
A little background info I’m 44 this is the first time I have ever owned a Corvette ( and it’s awesome I’m hooked ). I grew up pretty poor but worked real hard for everything I have. I opened my own contracting company 10 years ago and it’s done well. I decided that life is short and I wanted a C8 . I never dreamed of the negative pushback from my supposed friends . Not all have been this way but a few have I guess it is jealousy. But it’s a shame that they have to try to rain on my parade . Was curious if any one else has had any comments from friends when they saw your car
Get better friends. Trust me, it says more about them than it does about you!
Jlang1 (02-01-2022)
Old 01-28-2022, 05:02 PM
09ZR1
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 137 Likes on 64 Posts

I’ve always been just the opposite, before I came out of the field and into the office once my service business got some good legs under it when I would go to somebody’s house that was obviously successful I would politely ask them if they would share with me any tips on trying to get to their level. Most would gladly share their story with me and even give me tips and advice. I will never begrudge a person who has made a successful life out of what was handed to them.
The following 2 users liked this post by 09ZR1:
DWSx (02-02-2022), paco04 (01-28-2022)
Old 01-28-2022, 05:44 PM
Majestic94
Safety Car

Received 1,913 Likes on 1,020 Posts

If we all only drove the cars we needed, it we’d all have Corollas and minivans. Most Corvettes owners are pretty up front that it’s a want.
The following 3 users liked this post by Majestic94:
DWSx (02-02-2022), Jlang1 (02-01-2022), PLC8 (01-28-2022)
Old 01-28-2022, 05:49 PM
BlindSpot
Le Mans Master

Received 1,369 Likes on 908 Posts

I doubt anyone is jealous of anyone's C8. They might be envious, but it would take some extenuating circumstances for them to actually be jealous.

Envy is when your best friend shows up in his brand new convertible and you really wish you could have one too. Jealousy is when your best friend asks your hot wife if she would like a ride in his new convertible and she says yes....

I agree with Bird's contrarian take.
Old 01-28-2022, 06:02 PM
NJMikeC8
Pro

Received 304 Likes on 145 Posts
2023 C8 of the Year Finalist - Modified

I love my new car I haven’t been boastful that I have it . The only way anyone knows I have it is if the have come over and we went to the garage which is typically what we do . I have heard so many negative comments about why I would need such a car ,Why would you buy something like that etc . So much negative I guess it’s jealousy but it sure is a downer anyone else experience this reaction from anyone .
A little background info I’m 44 this is the first time I have ever owned a Corvette ( and it’s awesome I’m hooked ). I grew up pretty poor but worked real hard for everything I have. I opened my own contracting company 10 years ago and it’s done well. I decided that life is short and I wanted a C8 . I never dreamed of the negative pushback from my supposed friends . Not all have been this way but a few have I guess it is jealousy. But it’s a shame that they have to try to rain on my parade . Was curious if any one else has had any comments from friends when they saw your car
I got my first Corvette when I was 44 too. I received mostly positive reactions from my friends and family, but my co-workers were a different story. In their case I definitely detected a few of my colleagues were a bit jealous, but you know what, let them be, we are still the ones with the cool cars!
Old 01-28-2022, 06:14 PM
z06clif
Le Mans Master

Received 383 Likes on 307 Posts

The more people I meet.......the more I miss my dog

Clif
The following 8 users liked this post by z06clif:
AORoads (01-28-2022), ATVracer (01-31-2022), direct007 (01-28-2022), DWSx (02-02-2022), GarryL (02-02-2022), Jlang1 (02-01-2022), sambo60 (02-03-2022), zcobra1 (01-30-2022) and 3 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 01-28-2022, 06:36 PM
punky
Banned Scam/Spammer

Received 3,862 Likes on 1,912 Posts

Originally Posted by z06clif
The more people I meet.......the more I miss my dog

Clif
I can relate to that.
This WuFlu has really changed many peoples personalities and not in a good way. Paranoia, anger, fear, anxiety, abundantly clear even as they hide behind their ten cent masks that do nothing.
The following 4 users liked this post by punky:
ArmchairArchitect (01-31-2022), Landru (01-29-2022), RK43 (01-29-2022), sambo60 (02-03-2022)

Get notified of new replies

To Negative Friends Hating on your C8

Old 01-28-2022, 06:42 PM
Grey
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 555 Likes on 304 Posts

Hell guy you are hanging around the wrong people. Everyone I know that see's the cars ask for a ride. I have Dads who bring their kids over, would I give them a ride. Always do, I always make time for younger kids who like cars.
Jlang1 (02-01-2022)
Old 01-28-2022, 06:46 PM
direct007
Melting Slicks

Received 2,012 Likes on 1,028 Posts

You should sell it and buy a Honda. This will appease your friends and acquaintances. lol At 44, wait til you hear the "he must be going through his mid-life crisis" comments muttered under their breath. I've had Vettes since I was 25, now 57. I've heard it all, over the years...both good and bad but mostly good especially from my real friends that enjoy taking a ride as much as I like driving. You know what matters? How you feel about the car. Are these people making your car payments? No, so don't be concerned. There are a lot of people who's opinions don't matter but are more than willing to share. I can honestly say, I've had so much fun as a result of having a vette and I look forward to every new one as much as my first one as they keep getting better.

I do advise to be humble and don't put it in people's faces. If someone makes a remark, I just humor them with a sharp funny comeback.

Last edited by direct007; 01-28-2022 at 06:55 PM.
Corvette ED (01-31-2022)
Old 01-28-2022, 09:09 PM
jkstew1
Instructor

Received 101 Likes on 39 Posts

Default Couple of points

It's funny you posted this thread. I had a C3 and then a C7. I got compliments from just about everyone. I then traded my C7 for a Mercedes AMG and got negative attitude from some family members, but mostly people I didn't know. They just assumed I was a rich ahole, instead of someone who put themselves through college and has worked their *** off over the years. I am still only middle class, but I am good with that. I always buy low mileage used cars that I can have fun with and can afford.

My C8 will be my first new car when my allocation comes up in Feb or March. If used C8s were not ridiculously over priced I would get used. It's crazy that a new one is cheaper than a used one.

A couple of people said you need new friends. Uh yeah.

It is also a matter of explaining to people the love of cars. A couple of people mentioned that some people look at them just as transportation, but they could not be more wrong.

To me and most car enthusiasts, cars are pieces of art. The body lines, the angles, all the things that go into sculpting a beautiful piece of machinery. Just ask the Italians. They get it. To me cars are just like expensive art and thus sometimes they need explained to the masses.

Enjoy your car. Life is short and screw all the haters. If you need a new friend, I got your back.
The following 6 users liked this post by jkstew1:
Bird67 (01-28-2022), C5racecar (02-14-2022), Jlang1 (02-01-2022), lewislgZ06 (01-28-2022), NJMikeC8 (01-29-2022), PLC8 (01-28-2022) and 1 others liked this post. (Show less...)

Quick Reply: Negative Friends Hating on your C8