Notices
C8 General Discussion The place to discuss the next generation of Corvette.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Questions for geezers

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2022, 11:45 PM
johnodrake

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,589 Likes on 1,626 Posts

Originally Posted by DMcD
I'm a 72 year old geezer myself and have a C8 on order. No telling how old I will be when it finally gets delivered, LOL. Meanwhile, I have questions for C8 owners over 70. Someone who might get impatient waiting for their order to come in might consider buying a used one and paying the extra premium price. Here are my questions:
Would it be advisable to try to buy from an older owner in order to get one that has been babied and not driven hard?

1. Do older owners usually drive their C8 within the speed limit and never slam the peddle to the metal? Do they always drive sedately, like a little old lady?
2. If not, how often do they drive at least 10 miles over the speed limit?
3. Do they ever exceed 100 miles per hour? If so, how often?
4. What is the highest speed you have had your C8 up to?
5. How many elderly drivers enjoy hard acceleration and do it every chance they get?
6. Do you think you drive it like most other elderly drivers do?
7. Do you have trouble getting in and out?
8. Do you feel that the ride is comfortable or too rough?
9. Have you had problems with it and had to put it in the shop for repairs?

I'm just curious about what the other old guys think about their C8 now that they have driven it for a while.

Thanks for honest answers. I mean no offense with use of the terms elderly or geezers. I'm just glad that I didn't die back when I was young and beautiful, LOL.
OK - lots of answers on this thread so I'll add mine - I'm 77 this year.
1. Not Me
2. Most of the time - generally it is about 10% over.
3. Whenever I get the chance. - depends on traffic. I don't get stupid in traffic - One reason I have lived to my ripe old age.
4. tad over 130
5. No idea but I do it from time to time.
6. Hell no.
7. I do in my garage because it is tight but no where else.
8. Very comfortable and so does my wife.
9.. Minor and they were fixed,

I love my C8. It is the most fun Vette of the 9 I have owned.

The following users liked this post:
ByByBMW (01-17-2022)
Old 01-17-2022, 08:49 AM
sanman55
Racer

Received 158 Likes on 106 Posts

Buy new....its a sports car...who is not going to punch it now and then and most propably do not follow the break-in to the letter.
Getting in and out of anything is a problem when you get up in years...You learn whats best for you. I use my right knee on the seat and pivot around to flop in..Do this on exit too but if enough room and the top is down just put my 2 legs out and get out...
I am almost 75 and i waited 8 months but it was worth it.You get the color you want and all the additions you want and its all new....
I have not been over 80 mph BUT knowing i can go faster, a lot faster is enough for me...This car is a dream to drive and I look forward to years of it.I just turned over 800 miles at 3 months old..I have the htc 2022...
Enjoy the wait, use the time to download the manual and LEARN...so many things to learn..and most of all when you get it ENJOY
Old 01-17-2022, 09:07 AM
fredl11
Safety Car

Received 69 Likes on 32 Posts

Default I'm 73

Answers to questions
1: Usually about 10 over
2: All the time
3: If one the interstate on early sundays when there hardly any traffic (Got to blow the carbon off the plugs and exhaust)
4: 147
5: as long as wife is not aboard
6: No, if in wife's SUV no worth driving like in the Vette
7: Sometimes
8: Not expecting it to be comfortable BUT out of all the Vettes I've owned the C8 is not bad
9: Not answering this one. Your trying to jinx me
Old 01-17-2022, 07:59 PM
Killerlumber
4th Gear

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I can't believe your questions. Form the list of questions I'd suggest you go buy a Mustang or something like that.
If you are worried about going fast and how much over the posted speed why would you want a vette?
Mount a radar detector, have it wired up to start with the car and stop when you turn off the motor.
Get out on light traveled roads and have some fun.
If you can't do that then visit a go cart track but forget getting a C8.
Go golly Miss Molly drive the car the way it was made.
Visit the gym and stay in shape and flexible and getting in and out won't be a problem.
I'm 73, will get a 2022 C8 in April or May and will drive it like I have driven my 2017 C7. I know my C7 will go 169 and was disappointed that I was running out of road and didn't hit 170.
Visit the Ron Fellows Corvette school and learn how to drive and you'll also learn just how good and strong these cars.
You sound like someone that has not driven over 100. I drove across the state of North Dakota with my cruise control at 110.
Get a life man or forget getting a C8. You sound like you'll be wasting your money.
The following 2 users liked this post by Killerlumber:
at7000ft (01-19-2022), JF in MI (01-17-2022)
Old 01-17-2022, 08:11 PM
Northwoods1
Advanced

Received 49 Likes on 20 Posts

I am 74 yrs old. Do I drive speed limit - are you kidding me? Is it easy to get in and out of. My answer is that I look at it as a yoga exercise. However as time proceeded, it became much easier. May have a lot to do with how fun it is to drive. Also, it is much easier than the C7's. Highest speed is probably ~100 and for a short time while passing. It should be said that 100 is soooo easy to get to easily with the C8. As for problems - there have been non in ~1500 miles.

Cheers,
Old 01-17-2022, 09:04 PM
bjniceguy
Instructor

Received 50 Likes on 32 Posts

i am in my 70's & have a C8 so I guess I qualify to post on this one.

I guess my best reply would be "First Liar never wins LOL. Everyone drives fast (At least in their dreams)
JRYELLOWCORVETTE (01-18-2022)
Old 01-18-2022, 01:04 PM
JRYELLOWCORVETTE
Burning Brakes

Received 190 Likes on 107 Posts

Everyone owns a C8 for a different reason…. It’s your choice. God Bless America 🇺🇸
Old 01-18-2022, 01:11 PM
syoungbe
Instructor

Received 131 Likes on 69 Posts

Originally Posted by Northwoods1
I am 74 yrs old. Do I drive speed limit - are you kidding me? Is it easy to get in and out of. My answer is that I look at it as a yoga exercise. However as time proceeded, it became much easier. May have a lot to do with how fun it is to drive. Also, it is much easier than the C7's. Highest speed is probably ~100 and for a short time while passing. It should be said that 100 is soooo easy to get to easily with the C8. As for problems - there have been non in ~1500 miles.

Cheers,
I am 74 years old. What about limbo classes, how low can you go (joke). I can still get in and out OK. I get on it as much as possible to blow the carbon out. It’s very fun to drive. I am looking for any excuse to run errands. No problems with the car, 2,100 miles. Having a Corvette is a young person’s dream. When I am driving, I am 16 years old again.
Old 01-18-2022, 04:53 PM
bs0604
Cruising

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts
Default 70 yo

Mist red convertible submitted to GM and I am hoping for February delivery. When in my Lexus sc430 my wife says I drive like an old man. My reply is “I am an old man”. Will have to wait and see how I drive when I finally get a true sports car
at7000ft (01-19-2022)
Old 01-19-2022, 10:04 AM
at7000ft
Burning Brakes

Received 381 Likes on 246 Posts

Originally Posted by bs0604
Mist red convertible submitted to GM and I am hoping for February delivery. When in my Lexus sc430 my wife says I drive like an old man. My reply is “I am an old man”. Will have to wait and see how I drive when I finally get a true sports car
70 is the new 50 and you will feel younger than 50 when you finally get your RM C8.
Wentzvillecorvette (01-19-2022)
Old 01-19-2022, 10:13 AM
syoungbe
Instructor

Received 131 Likes on 69 Posts

Originally Posted by bs0604
When you have your Corvette things will change. I have been told that I drive like an old man (74 year old) before the Corvette. The Corvette is really responsive and you feel like you are part of the car. Get on it! Blow the carbon out.

Quick Reply: Questions for geezers