Notices
C8 General Discussion The place to discuss the next generation of Corvette.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Exhaust…pops and cracks or no?

Search this Thread

Old 12-24-2021, 10:21 PM
Bird67
Melting Slicks

Received 3,290 Likes on 1,504 Posts

Originally Posted by papillion
A C8 will be worth what you paid 3 years from now. An F Type will be worth half maybe? If that. Plus consider an F Type will spend equal time on the service drive as at your home. If you can afford a quarter million dollars for an Aston, you shouldn't be lurking here. No brag just fact.
What, does this even mean? Paps, we’re talking Jaguar here, and the vehicle costs less than half that.

And comparing notes from both marques' forums, I don't think it's safe to assume C8s spend less time in the shop than do F-type.
The following users liked this post:
BMadden (12-25-2021)
Old 12-24-2021, 10:32 PM
JDSC8VETTE
Melting Slicks

Received 2,899 Likes on 1,161 Posts

My Ftype didn’t spend a day in the shop. My c7, on the other hand, had issues a few miles down the road from driving it new off the lot.

This statement alone tells me you really want the Jag and you are only here to get our approval. Well I approve go buy your Jag and pop your way down the road.
Old 12-24-2021, 11:08 PM
IMMD
Advanced

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by JDSC8VETTE
My Ftype didn’t spend a day in the shop. My c7, on the other hand, had issues a few miles down the road from driving it new off the lot.

This statement alone tells me you really want the Jag and you are only here to get our approval. Well I approve go buy your Jag and pop your way down the road.
That’s definitely not why I made that statement. In regard to making a purchase decision, probably the last thing in the world that I’m interested in is the approval of online strangers. I’m here for information about the C8 exhaust and when that guy told me a Jag would spend half the time in the shop, I made a counter point based on anecdotal evidence…primarily because I was annoyed by his comment about me not being welcome here because of what he presumed my budget was.
Old 12-25-2021, 12:14 AM
BMadden
Safety Car

Received 1,838 Likes on 660 Posts

Originally Posted by papillion
A C8 will be worth what you paid 3 years from now. An F Type will be worth half maybe? If that. Plus consider an F Type will spend equal time on the service drive as at your home. If you can afford a quarter million dollars for an Aston, you shouldn't be lurking here. No brag just fact.
I have an F-Type and it hasn't had any issues at all in 3 years. I'm also pretty sure I could sell it for close to what I paid for it in this market so everything you said is just typical nonsense spewed by people who know nothing about Jags.
The following 3 users liked this post by BMadden:
Bird67 (12-26-2021), Foosh (12-28-2021), VAF84 (04-17-2023)
Old 12-25-2021, 12:27 AM
prosunseeker
Intermediate

Received 33 Likes on 15 Posts

I have a 981 Boxster S with Sport Chrono in manual. In the Sport Plus setting, as you downshift and it rev matches, the sound is intoxicating. This is not some high school tuner pop and crackle. This is factory and the sound is just right. The C8 does not sound like that. And in my opinion, it comes down to how it was tuned. The Porsche on downshift, drops extra fuel into the exhaust for the crackle and pop. Perhaps due to EPA requirements, the C8 does not. It does crack at the very top of the rev range on up shift but that's it. Perhaps the Z06 will have that factory tune enabled.
Old 12-25-2021, 07:18 AM
JDSC8VETTE
Melting Slicks

Received 2,899 Likes on 1,161 Posts

As far as crackle and pop goes there were many who claimed the C7 didn’t do it but mine was very vocal. I think it was because it was a manual and when you revved it out and let up it would crackle and pop nicely. I think the C8 will do it but you would need to be in manual mode. I was able to make it crackle like I did with my C7.
Old 12-26-2021, 11:55 AM
the real RacerX
Heel & Toe

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Tuning

Originally Posted by prosunseeker
I have a 981 Boxster S with Sport Chrono in manual. In the Sport Plus setting, as you downshift and it rev matches, the sound is intoxicating. This is not some high school tuner pop and crackle. This is factory and the sound is just right. The C8 does not sound like that. And in my opinion, it comes down to how it was tuned. The Porsche on downshift, drops extra fuel into the exhaust for the crackle and pop. Perhaps due to EPA requirements, the C8 does not. It does crack at the very top of the rev range on up shift but that's it. Perhaps the Z06 will have that factory tune enabled.
I agree, in essence the gurgling and popping would be tuned out in a perfectly adjusted tune. Adding additional fuel will cause carbon deposits and could eventually lead to problems in some cases.
Old 12-26-2021, 12:53 PM
MikeinAZ
Burning Brakes

Received 411 Likes on 251 Posts

I installed high flow cats and it definately give off more bubbles and pops and you really hear the fast shifts, they pop. When slowing down in z mode or manually downshifting you really hear it. Very happy I put those on.
the real RacerX (12-26-2021)
Old 12-26-2021, 06:25 PM
BigF6B
Drifting

Received 564 Likes on 402 Posts

Originally Posted by JDSC8VETTE
As far as crackle and pop goes there were many who claimed the C7 didn’t do it but mine was very vocal. I think it was because it was a manual and when you revved it out and let up it would crackle and pop nicely. I think the C8 will do it but you would need to be in manual mode. I was able to make it crackle like I did with my C7.
I have been exploring the new Fabspeed exhaust on my '20 C8 and found that in manual mode It will pop and crackle when up shifting and also sounds great coming down thru the gears when it revs after selecting the downshift....
Old 12-26-2021, 06:50 PM
Ryan Ol Ghanta
Instructor

Received 151 Likes on 78 Posts

Originally Posted by MikeinAZ
I installed high flow cats and it definately give off more bubbles and pops and you really hear the fast shifts, they pop. When slowing down in z mode or manually downshifting you really hear it. Very happy I put those on.
is this a diy job? Could you tell us more on how to install high flow cats?

thanks
Old 12-27-2021, 10:28 AM
sanman55
Racer

Received 158 Likes on 106 Posts

Originally Posted by IMMD
One of my main criteria for a sports car is the exhaust note. I had a 14 c7 which had a good sound, but didn’t do much in the way of pops and crackles. I traded it for an F Type R which sounded like fire crackers going off constantly. I’m currently driving an AMG GLC 63S which is somewhere in between. I’m curious about everyone’s experience with the c8. Does it rumble like the Jag on downshifts or is it more muted like my c7 was? Any idea about the Z06?
I love it...mine cracks and pops on downshift....Keep mine as loud as it can be...My c-7 was nice but only when you really got on it...This one lets everyone know I am driving a high performance car at any speed...Well worth the extra money for me..
IMMD (12-27-2021)
Old 12-27-2021, 10:59 AM
artrem
Instructor

Received 87 Likes on 55 Posts

My Porsche Cayman cracks and pops when in sport mode. Maybe I'm showing my age, but in my day when a car did that it meant the carburetor was out of adjustment and was making the air/fuel mix too rich. Subtle effects however can sound good; I had an Audi TTS once which had a subtle pop when downshifting which was okay. But I think they overdid it in the Porsche and I find it a bit embarrassing when my car exhaust starts popping when cruising through the neighborhood at 25 MPH..
The following 2 users liked this post by artrem:
Geezer1 (12-27-2021), IMMD (12-27-2021)
Old 12-27-2021, 11:22 AM
CowboyEd
Heel & Toe

Received 22 Likes on 12 Posts

I had an F type S a buddy of mine had to offload because he was having a baby....that thing roared...the electronics in the car were well behind where they should have been, but i loved that car....waiting on my 22 C8, it cant get here fast enough!
IMMD (12-27-2021)
Old 12-27-2021, 01:39 PM
IMMD
Advanced

Originally Posted by CowboyEd
I had an F type S a buddy of mine had to offload because he was having a baby....that thing roared...the electronics in the car were well behind where they should have been, but i loved that car....waiting on my 22 C8, it cant get here fast enough!
Let us know your impression of the exhaust once you’ve received it. I had an F Type R and it roared too. I believe they toned it down, but I loved it the way that it was. But I agree, the tech inside was a generation behind and since it’s essentially unchanged, it’s now two generations behind.
Old 12-27-2021, 05:36 PM
BMadden
Safety Car

Received 1,838 Likes on 660 Posts

Originally Posted by IMMD
Let us know your impression of the exhaust once you’ve received it. I had an F Type R and it roared too. I believe they toned it down, but I loved it the way that it was. But I agree, the tech inside was a generation behind and since it’s essentially unchanged, it’s now two generations behind.

They starting toning down the F-Type exhausts a couple years ago. They're nowhere near as loud now as the '14-'20 models were. With all the regulations now and the push towards EVs I doubt you'll ever hear a factory exhaust as good as those again.
Old 12-27-2021, 06:07 PM
IMMD
Advanced

Originally Posted by BMadden
They starting toning down the F-Type exhausts a couple years ago. They're nowhere near as loud now as the '14-'20 models were. With all the regulations now and the push towards EVs I doubt you'll ever hear a factory exhaust as good as those again.
I agree. Makes me want to consider buying a used model. The carbon ceramic brakes with the special wheels and yellow calipers looked amazing on my 16 model. I should never have traded it.
Bird67 (12-27-2021)
Old 12-27-2021, 09:29 PM
iwantaz06now
Melting Slicks

Received 165 Likes on 132 Posts
2023 C6 of the Year Finalist - Modified

If you want tremendous snap crackle pop get a c6 z06 with catless headers and the oem zr1 exhaust or the Corsa Xtreme:

Get notified of new replies

To Exhaust…pops and cracks or no?

Old 12-27-2021, 09:45 PM
iwantaz06now
Melting Slicks

Received 165 Likes on 132 Posts
2023 C6 of the Year Finalist - Modified

If you want to do a c8 exhaust upgrade do the corsa muffler delete + corsa cats for more snap crackle pop!
Old 12-27-2021, 11:33 PM
Michael A
Le Mans Master

Received 2,923 Likes on 1,365 Posts

Originally Posted by gavinvr4
I wish the C8 could sound like the Jaguar F Type R,
by far they have the best exhaust note hands down.
I test drove a Jag F Type R, and, frankly, the pops were too much. It sounded like a gun. I wouldn't want to drive by a police officer while the car was doing that, or I might get shot.
Old 12-28-2021, 12:25 AM
jackfrostpdx
Burning Brakes

Received 628 Likes on 316 Posts

burble tunes are played out. GM made the right call

Quick Reply: Exhaust…pops and cracks or no?