Notices
C8 General Discussion The place to discuss the next generation of Corvette.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Adding Air to Nitrogen filled tires

Search this Thread

Old 12-24-2021, 12:05 AM
Phil1098
Race Director

Received 11,610 Likes on 4,640 Posts

Originally Posted by rjsmith169
Please Phil, you're a salesman, you can't do anything else.

Ray
Please Ray, you're making assumptions on knowledge, I too have worked on cars for over 45 years. So show me ONE tire that has oxidized belts from air, just one. For all your experience you thought the TR9080 C8 DCT has a dry clutch, then you said the LT2 has a 5,600 rpm redline. You're not shining real bright on here so far.
Old 12-24-2021, 01:24 AM
C5racecar
Drifting

Received 980 Likes on 473 Posts

Originally Posted by jcp911s
Sheesh... urban legend... tires decade from UV, and just plain age... if you drive a car on 10 YO tires, you can put gold dust into them... good luck... Professional racers do use Nitrogen, because 1/2 LB of pressure can impact handling, but to go to BJs... or sit in 5 hours of traffic on the LIE... I doubt it will make a difference...
In a road racing car, you go onto the track with 25 psi, and after 20 minutes of racing, the tires are at 30 psi due to the extreme heat. The tires get hot from spinning and sliding sideways, and the heat from brakes puts a lot of heat into the tires and wheels.
In theory nitrogen filled tires do not gain as much pressure. For a street car, I really don't see any benefit. On a hot day, tires do get hot on the highway, and may increase 3 or 4 psi. With nitrogen, it may be less, only 2 or 3.
You would not be able to detect that when driving.

The following 2 users liked this post by C5racecar:
JRYELLOWCORVETTE (12-27-2021), Phil1098 (12-24-2021)
Old 12-25-2021, 08:54 AM
Racer X
Le Mans Master

Received 4,383 Likes on 2,070 Posts

Originally Posted by Phil1098
Please Ray, you're making assumptions on knowledge, I too have worked on cars for over 45 years. So show me ONE tire that has oxidized belts from air, just one. For all your experience you thought the TR9080 C8 DCT has a dry clutch, then you said the LT2 has a 5,600 rpm redline. You're not shining real bright on here so far.
I have seen them, but would not want to drive on them due to their steel belts showing through the tread surface. 😁

it was many years ago.
The following users liked this post:
Phil1098 (12-25-2021)
Old 12-25-2021, 09:51 AM
ByByBMW
Le Mans Master

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 536 Likes on 279 Posts
St. Jude Donor '06-'08-'10-'11-'12-'13 '14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19

Originally Posted by C5racecar
In a road racing car, you go onto the track with 25 psi, and after 20 minutes of racing, the tires are at 30 psi due to the extreme heat. The tires get hot from spinning and sliding sideways, and the heat from brakes puts a lot of heat into the tires and wheels.
In theory nitrogen filled tires do not gain as much pressure. For a street car, I really don't see any benefit. On a hot day, tires do get hot on the highway, and may increase 3 or 4 psi. With nitrogen, it may be less, only 2 or 3.
The biggest benefit to Nitrogen filling comes from how the Nitrogen is produced/packaged. In short, due to the process the moisture is removed from the Nitrogen so essentially you have a dry gas with very little water in it. Water in the gas space has more of an affect on the pressure rise than the gas itself does. That is why so many high performance hi temperature tire applications use Nitrogen. E.G. airplanes, racing tires, etc.
The following 6 users liked this post by ByByBMW:
Edwardz (12-26-2021), Grey (12-25-2021), Racer86 (12-25-2021), Red Mist Rulz (12-27-2021), rjsmith169 (12-25-2021), RKCRLR (12-25-2021) and 1 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 12-25-2021, 10:00 AM
dmaxx3500
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,183 Likes on 748 Posts

i think you need to fill them with ''HYDROGEN'',,lighter then air,so you will have less unsrpung weight
JRYELLOWCORVETTE (12-27-2021)
Old 12-25-2021, 01:14 PM
JVi
Drifting

Received 968 Likes on 490 Posts

Nitrous oxide is what is needed for laughs and giggles.
Old 12-26-2021, 09:08 PM
feeder82
Melting Slicks

Received 987 Likes on 626 Posts

Go to Costco they have a nitrogen fill pump you can use for free. 😁
Old 12-26-2021, 09:18 PM
RxCritical
Drifting

Received 71 Likes on 32 Posts
Cruise-In X Veteran

The following 3 users liked this post by RxCritical:
Dads2kconvertible (12-26-2021), Italianfox (01-01-2022), Red Mist Rulz (12-27-2021)
Old 12-26-2021, 11:56 PM
rfh928
Burning Brakes

Received 390 Likes on 261 Posts

My C7 came with nitrogen filled tires...but I've pumped them up with regular air from my 12V compressor many times without any apparent ill effects!
Old 12-27-2021, 12:23 PM
Inviktus
Pro

Received 497 Likes on 215 Posts

I only fill my tires with non-binary vegan farts. So all of you guys are behind the curve here...
speedlink (12-27-2021)
Old 12-27-2021, 12:52 PM
Andybump
Le Mans Master

Received 3,822 Likes on 2,271 Posts

It will not do any harm to add air to a nitrogen filled tire, other than to negate the alleged advantages of the Nitrogen fill. As for those advantages, here is a consumer reports article about that.
I believe it covers most (but not all) of the touted advantages of a Nitro fill. Missing is whether or not there is better pressure stability with temperature changes, and the impact of moisture content on that relationship. Here is an another article about that, that seem credible.

The consumer reports article concludes that the Nitrogen fill is not worth it, but the context of the consumer report article is street use and it does not discuss tire pressure stability with temperature:
https://www.consumerreports.org/tire...s-a6260003694/

That context of discussion at the following link is for racing and track events, and it concludes that a dry fill, whether Air, or Nitrogen, will provide the main advantage of tire pressure stability with temperature change. And, adding regular air to a dry fill, whether its Nitrogen or dried air, would negate the advantage for track use.
https://www.longacreracing.com/techn...ot%20too%20bad.

Last edited by Andybump; 12-27-2021 at 02:50 PM. Reason: added a note that adding air to a dry fill would negate the advantage for track use.
Old 12-27-2021, 01:08 PM
JRYELLOWCORVETTE
Burning Brakes

Received 190 Likes on 107 Posts

Originally Posted by dmaxx3500
i think you need to fill them with ''HYDROGEN'',,lighter then air,so you will have less unsrpung weight
Helium might even be better!
Old 12-27-2021, 02:45 PM
Red Mist Rulz
Race Director

Received 8,548 Likes on 4,279 Posts

The oxidation on the inside attacks the steel belts from the inside. And they do get the tire to 99% after five purges per tire, and they do that with a dozen tires when the Michelin crew isn't there. The Michelin crew fills new tires they mount on a team's wheels with nitrogen.

Ray
I'm talking about street use. Find me a tire store that's going to do 5 purges and nitrogen fills for you. I'll wait.

And even 1% oxygen will cause oxidation inside the tire. One molecule of oxygen can start oxidation, and once it starts it's self sustaining. The race team doesn't use nitrogen to prevent oxidation. That's a non issue when the tires don't even last one full race. Just like street tires, they wear out long before oxidation is a problem. If you're tires have been on the car long enough that oxygen has weakened the steel belts, the tread is as hard as a hockey puck anyway.
Old 12-27-2021, 02:47 PM
Red Mist Rulz
Race Director

Originally Posted by rajeevx7
This reads like a bunch of regurgitators with no real world experience. Not a scam for factory fill. Personal Mercedes went 3years from factory delivery before tpms light reminded us to fill, and with temps from 10*-100* + F. Also, those original TPMS’ are working at 12yrs, go figure.

After initial fill lifespan, air conversion for every car due to availability.

My understanding is that factory inflators have a vac down and fill port on the same machine, resulting in the highest possible nitrogen level.
I guess the laws of physics don't apply to Mercedes tires. then. Because everything you've said is impossible. Maybe if you checked your tire pressure once in a while you'd see that the pressures DID vary with temperature.
Old 12-27-2021, 02:50 PM
Red Mist Rulz
Race Director

Originally Posted by C5racecar
Nitrogen tires gain pressures just like oxygen filled tires would. ALL gases expand with heat, and that increases pressure. Basic high school chemistry fact. The benefit of Nitrogen is that the pressure gain is more predictable, but that's because there's no water vapor, not because of the specific gas.
The following 2 users liked this post by Red Mist Rulz:
Andybump (12-27-2021), ByByBMW (12-28-2021)
Old 12-27-2021, 03:10 PM
Jupiterjj
Advanced

Received 13 Likes on 5 Posts

My first boss out of engineering school once told me about his first invention, the Mary Jo Kopechne life saving system. It was a hose attached to the spare tire that extends into the car's interior, allowing an occupant to breathe air from the spare tire if the car should accidentally venture under water. He said only after he applied for the patent did he learn that there is no oxygen left in a spare tire after a few months, since the oxygen molecules are able to penetrate the rubber, but the nitrogen is not.
Bird67 (12-28-2021)
Old 12-27-2021, 03:59 PM
rbartick
Le Mans Master

Location: Admit Nothing, Deny Everything, Make Counter Accusations.
Received 514 Likes on 346 Posts

My daily driver SUV came from the dealer with Nitrogen filled tires and green caps. I drove the car for more than three years and 20,000 miles in the North East before the tires needed more air, which I thought was pretty good. I topped them off with regular air from my home compressor.

Get notified of new replies

To Adding Air to Nitrogen filled tires

Old 12-27-2021, 04:00 PM
JerryU
E-Ray, 3LZ, ZER, LIFT
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 9,648 Likes on 6,647 Posts

The oxidation on the inside attacks the steel belts from the inside. And they do get the tire to 99% after five purges per tire, and they do that with a dozen tires when the Michelin crew isn't there. The Michelin crew fills new tires they mount on a team's wheels with nitrogen.

Ray
Originally Posted by Vetteman Jack
No reason why adding regular air to tires already filled with Nitrogen will harm anything. Just do it instead of paying an inflated price for nitrogen.
Yep, local Chevy/BMW/Mercedes Dealer has a fellow on a fellow who rides around on a Gold cart with a Nitrogen Generator. Not 100% Nitrogen but considering that are not putting a vaccum on your tires good enough! All the cars they sell, like the wife's SUV come with Nitrogen caps. I fill those with my air compressor! No harm I'm using 78% Nitrogen!

That oxidation issue "is a factor to some degree" IF you have a truck fleet and recap tires where the casing can last 300,000+ miles! Silly for cars. I was Director of Market Development for the largest Industrial gas company. My groups focus was, by far, our most profitable product, Argon. Although only 0.9% of the air we had over 50% of the US capacitary and controller prices. Welding was the largest use (it's also used to fill double pane widows etc.) My counterpart, with a 35 person group, was Director of Market Development for the other two gases Oxygen and Nitrogen. Have to liquify all air to get all 3. Our biggest market was Oxygen for steel mills etc. We built huge plants to deliver Oxygen to steel mills (when we had steel mills making steel not just melting old cars!) All large plants had the extra distillation trays and two more columns, and chemical reactors to get Argon (about 20% more costly when building a ~100 million dollar gas plant.)

We had excess liquid Nitrogen and would vent it (what a waste of the massive energy needed to compress and liquify air.) Recall when my counterpart deviled the marketing program to replace air compressors in large manufacturing plants. Filling tires was another Marketing effort BUT they focused on large truck fleets where there was some technical benefit. Cars have very little!

Yep sponsored Richard Petty's Race Team for >15 years. they used Nitrogen at the track because a 2500 psi cylinder (with regulator) was easier to carry than an quality air compressor with dryer required to deliver low moisture air for tires! Many race teams use it for that reason!
Old 12-27-2021, 04:08 PM
RKCRLR
Le Mans Master

Received 6,200 Likes on 3,401 Posts

Originally Posted by Jupiterjj
My first boss out of engineering school once told me about his first invention, the Mary Jo Kopechne life saving system. It was a hose attached to the spare tire that extends into the car's interior, allowing an occupant to breathe air from the spare tire if the car should accidentally venture under water. He said only after he applied for the patent did he learn that there is no oxygen left in a spare tire after a few months, since the oxygen molecules are able to penetrate the rubber, but the nitrogen is not.
Both nitrogen and oxygen permeate tires, oxygen just does it faster. Assuming that the tire is topped off with air periodically, you will wind up with a higher concentration of nitrogen. But it will reach equilibrium at some point but it won't be 0% oxygen. I'd do the calculation if I wasn't so lazy.
The following 2 users liked this post by RKCRLR:
Andybump (12-27-2021), Inviktus (12-27-2021)
Old 12-27-2021, 04:11 PM
RKCRLR
Le Mans Master

Received 6,200 Likes on 3,401 Posts

Originally Posted by JerryU
We had excess liquid Nitrogen and would vent it (what a waste of the massive energy needed to compress and liquify air.) Recall when my counterpart deviled the marketing program to replace air compressors in large manufacturing plants. Filling tires was another Marketing effort BUT they focused on large truck fleets where there was some technical benefit. Cars have very little!

Yep sponsored Richard Petty's Race Team for >15 years. they used Nitrogen at the track because a 2500 psi cylinder (with regulator) was easier to carry than an quality air compressor with dryer required to deliver low moisture air for tires! Many race teams use it for that reason!
I used to work at a plant that used a lot of nitrogen. In many cases, it is cheaper than maintaining air compressors if you need a clean, dry gas.
Inviktus (12-27-2021)

Quick Reply: Adding Air to Nitrogen filled tires