Notices
C8 General Discussion The place to discuss the next generation of Corvette.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Chip Shortage to Impact Corvettes

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2022, 08:20 PM
Zymurgy

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 15,124 Likes on 6,194 Posts

The dealer invoice and the Monroney label will reflect the credit if you are impacted. They will have RPO 00Y:

UD7 Rear Park Assist
1 - Vehicles built prior to January 24, 2022 include Rear Park Assist. Certain vehicles built on or after January 24, 2022, will be forced to include (00Y) Not Equipped with Rear Park Assist, which removes Rear Park Assist. See dealer for details or the window label for the features on a specific vehicle.
00Y Not Equipped with Rear Park Assist, see dealer for details
1 - Vehicles built prior to January 24, 2022 include Rear Park Assist. Certain vehicles built on or after January 24, 2022, will be forced to include (00Y) Not Equipped with Rear Park Assist, which removes Rear Park Assist. See the window label for the features on a specific vehicle.
Old 01-26-2022, 10:54 PM
jimmyb
Race Director

Received 4,248 Likes on 2,023 Posts

Originally Posted by Zymurgy
Say pretty please. LOL.
OK...Pretty Please

Thanks for leaving out that whole "sheep" thing also
Old 01-27-2022, 12:47 AM
MFW
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Rear Park Assist Dealer Retrofit, expected Q4, 2022???

Peeps - I just spec'd my 2022 C8 2LT Vert - and the order automatically deletes Rear Park Assist - with the caveat: dealer retrofit, expected Q4, 2022

Does anybody have a clue as to what will happen in Q4 - how they will retrofit this feature - what it will cost to do so??? TY!

Here is what the configurator says:

NOT EQUIPPED WITH REAR PARK ASSIST

($50)
  • Certain vehicles built on or after January 24, 2022 will not be equipped with Rear Park Assist
  • Feature will not function on certain models without dealer retrofit, expected Q4, 2022
  • Contact a dealer for details or check the window label for the features on a specific vehicle
Old 01-27-2022, 01:03 AM
Zymurgy

Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by MFW
Peeps - I just spec'd my 2022 C8 2LT Vert - and the order automatically deletes Rear Park Assist - with the caveat: dealer retrofit, expected Q4, 2022

Does anybody have a clue as to what will happen in Q4 - how they will retrofit this feature - what it will cost to do so??? TY!

Here is what the configurator says:

NOT EQUIPPED WITH REAR PARK ASSIST

($50)
  • Certain vehicles built on or after January 24, 2022 will not be equipped with Rear Park Assist
  • Feature will not function on certain models without dealer retrofit, expected Q4, 2022
  • Contact a dealer for details or check the window label for the features on a specific vehicle
I already replied to your other post. The retrofit will be done at no cost. It's been said that the module is in the trunk (front) and that the trunk liner will need to be removed (but I have not seen any official word from Chevy). This is a fairly simple process.
The following 3 users liked this post by Zymurgy:
ArmchairArchitect (01-27-2022), MFW (01-27-2022), Smuuth (01-27-2022)
Old 02-08-2022, 09:11 AM
Halfmoon378
Advanced

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts

I was wondering if anyone knows for sure where the location of the UD7 Rear Park Assist module is located. So far, I have seen 2 locations listed.
Thanks, Don
Old 02-08-2022, 09:20 AM
BIG Dave
Le Mans Master

Received 4,684 Likes on 1,862 Posts

On a more positive note…

Detroit Free Press

GM's chip strategy that keeps production running as Ford goes down

Jamie L. LaReau, Detroit Free Press
Tue, February 8, 2022, 7:57 AM

A deal with semiconductor chipmakers is keeping General Motors assembly lines in North America rolling, while Ford Motor Co. idles many of its plants for the week.

The Detroit Three automakers each face the ongoing shortage of semiconductor chips that are used in many car parts. The shortage has been crippling production across the industry since this time last year. So far Stellantis confirms its plants in North America continue to operate as normal.

Yet Ford is the only one hit by it at the moment and shutting down.

"I couldn’t speculate about the other companies," said Ford spokeswoman Kelli Felker. "The global semiconductor shortage continues to affect Ford’s North American plants – along with automakers and other industries around the world."

GM and Stellantis are not immune to the chip shortage. Both saw a series of production disruptions throughout last year due to an inability to get the chip parts.

But GM is confident it will not be stopping production in the near term due to the chips shortage, spokesman David Barnas said.

Last week, CEO Mary Barra and CFO Paul Jacobson told investors at the Deutsche Bank Center in New York that GM predicts it will grow its production volume by 25% to 30% globally this year compared to last year. It has secured deals with the chipmakers in its supply chain, according to a research note on Monday from Deutsche Bank analyst Emmanuel Rosner.

Ford's working on it

At Ford, meanwhile, production will be disrupted at six North American plants this week as it works to mitigate the impact of the unavailable chips.

"Behind the scenes, we have teams working on how to maximize production, with a continued commitment to building every high-demand vehicle for our customers with the quality they expect," Felker said.

The following plants were either idled or shifts reduced starting Monday:
  • Michigan Assembly will be down: Bronco and Ranger production.
  • Chicago Assembly will be down: Explorer, Lincoln Aviator and Police Interceptor SUV production.
  • Kansas City Assembly will be down: F-150 production.
  • Cuautitlan Assembly plant in Mexico will be down: Mustang Mach-E production.
  • Dearborn Truck and Kansas City Transit production will run on one shift.

GM's commitments

Last week, Barra told Wall Street that the chip shortage was easing and she expected supply of chip parts to improve as the year progressed.

In the Deutsche Bank research note, Rosner said GM's confidence that it can grow its production volume is based on "firm supply commitments from its semiconductor manufacturers across the chain."

"GM said it has been working with the supply base, tier 2 and tier 3 suppliers and built strategic relationships with manufacturers, providing it more transparency earlier," Rosner said. "The company has received firm commitment from semiconductor suppliers."

Tier 2 and tier 3 suppliers are the smaller parts suppliers who often buy the chips directly from the chip manufacturers and assemble a part before shipping that part to a larger, tier 1 supplier. That tier 1 supplier finishes the part and ships it directly to the automaker who assembles it in a vehicle.

More smaller SUVs

Last year GM built 3,990,845 vehicles, down 13.8% from 2020, said Sam Fiorani, vice president of Global Vehicle Forecasting at AutoForecast Solutions. But he forecasts that GM will grow its production this year by 29.1% to over 5.15 million units, "as long as supplies of parts remains steady."

In its year-end earnings released Feb. 1, GM said for 2022 it expects to report a net income of $9.4 billion to $10.8 billion, and its adjusted earnings before interest and taxes to be between $13 billion and $15 billion.

GM was hit harder than most automakers last year, especially in the third quarter, due to the COVID-19 outbreak in Malaysia, making it an easier comparison against this year's results, Rosner said. GM reported its third-quarter net income plummeted to $2.4 billion from $4 billion in the year-ago period.

But for the full year, GM's pretax profits were a record $14.3 billion compared with $9.7 billion in 2020.

"GM was forced to go into optimization mode last year amid scarcity of chips, and primarily focused on preserving volumes of trucks and SUVs," Rosner wrote. "As more chip capacity comes on over the course of this year, it will be able to tap into the underutilized vehicle capacity, which includes crossovers, smaller trucks and sedans."

Looking beyond this year, Barra and Jacobson said GM can eventually reach annual production of 4 million vehicles in North America over the next few years, with 3.2 million being gasoline-powered vehicles and looking to increased adoption of electric vehicles.

This article originally appeared on Detroit Free Press: GM's chip strategy that keeps production running as Ford goes down
The following users liked this post:
ArmchairArchitect (02-08-2022)
Old 02-09-2022, 10:24 PM
Salmon057
Drifting

Received 949 Likes on 540 Posts

Default Chip

Originally Posted by DSOMrulz
Has anyone actually received a C8 with these chips missing? Or heard of someone getting one with the $50 credit?
Yes. My C8 was built on 2/7. No chip $50 credit off sticker price.
Old 02-09-2022, 10:44 PM
marc4427
Drifting

Received 103 Likes on 47 Posts

I was at Ciocca today to get my car . Mine was built 1/25 and I had the chip . Seems like the cars made the week of 1/31 was affected .
Old 02-09-2022, 10:50 PM
Tuckermaclain
Racer

Received 170 Likes on 102 Posts

That sucks. The rear park assist is really useful. I have come to depend on it in cars. They coulda dropped cylinder deactivation first, IMO.
Old 02-09-2022, 10:54 PM
Salmon057
Drifting

Default Chip

I was at 1/3 TPW then 1/10 after the storm... still good, not so fast got pushed to 2/7 lost the chip. Does that missing chip also disable cross traffic alert?
Old 02-09-2022, 11:34 PM
Smuuth
Instructor

Received 144 Likes on 70 Posts

Originally Posted by Salmon057
I was at 1/3 TPW then 1/10 after the storm... still good, not so fast got pushed to 2/7 lost the chip. Does that missing chip also disable cross traffic alert?
no it doesn’t:
Originally Posted by Zymurgy
Only UD7 is impacted.

Reverse Camera and Cross Traffic Alert are separate items from UD7: Neither are impacted.
​​​​​​​
Old 02-09-2022, 11:46 PM
Zymurgy

Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by Tuckermaclain
That sucks. The rear park assist is really useful. I have come to depend on it in cars. They coulda dropped cylinder deactivation first, IMO.
Chips typically are not interchangeable (they could be application specific, different package types, different operating voltage, etc., etc.). They have to drop what they don't have available.
The following users liked this post:
Smuuth (02-09-2022)
Old 02-10-2022, 07:02 AM
dwjezek14
Instructor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 137 Likes on 48 Posts

The fact that the shortage is affecting there top car is a cause for concern. You would think the vettes, Escalades , Denali’s , high countries would all have no issues being the highest end cars they sale. Hope this does not get worse
Old 02-10-2022, 07:08 AM
Salmon057
Drifting

Default Chip

Originally Posted by Smuuth
no it doesn’t:
Thanks!

Quick Reply: Chip Shortage to Impact Corvettes