Notices
C8 General Discussion The place to discuss the next generation of Corvette.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Chip shortage??

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-2021, 10:48 AM
Davet435
Racer

Received 164 Likes on 109 Posts
Default Chip shortage??

Has anyone heard about a chip shortage slowing down C8 production? I’m assuming it’s just another excuse by this dealership not to give me allocation. This is the most expensive car I’ve ever purchased and by far the worst I’ve ever been treated by a dealership. I should have put a deposit down at a different dealership at three months in when I found out my salesman never entered my order. It’s definitely gone down hill from there…
Old 12-09-2021, 10:57 AM
cecilt
Pro

Received 230 Likes on 134 Posts

Originally Posted by Davet435
Has anyone heard about a chip shortage slowing down C8 production? I’m assuming it’s just another excuse by this dealership not to give me allocation. This is the most expensive car I’ve ever purchased and by far the worst I’ve ever been treated by a dealership. I should have put a deposit down at a different dealership at three months in when I found out my salesman never entered my order. It’s definitely gone down hill from there…
When I started to get on lists back in August so many dealers would throw out the chip shortage as a reason why C8 production was low and wait lists were long. The chip shortage did not impact the C8 but it was easy for them to say this since that topic was in the news everyday. The C8 has not been impacted by the chip shortage but may possibly be in the future for the heated seats and steering wheel.
Old 12-09-2021, 10:57 AM
bluman
Melting Slicks

Received 349 Likes on 199 Posts

Only thing I was told by a friend GM at dealership that Spectra wheels were on constraint.
Old 12-09-2021, 11:23 AM
Davet435
Racer

Originally Posted by cecilt
When I started to get on lists back in August so many dealers would throw out the chip shortage as a reason why C8 production was low and wait lists were long. The chip shortage did not impact the C8 but it was easy for them to say this since that topic was in the news everyday. The C8 has not been impacted by the chip shortage but may possibly be in the future for the heated seats and steering wheel.
All along GM has said a chip shortage was never an issue on the C8. I’m getting so discouraged with this dealership. I was number 4 in line for allocation in April, then 23rd in May. Then the general manager telling me he couldn’t put me in line by my deposit date even though it was the salesman’s fault for never entering my order. Tried to tell me he couldn’t change his internal list because GM had it locked down tight. I knew that was a lie so supposedly got that taken care of which landed me at number 13. Now that I’m back at the top of the list they are telling me they haven’t gotten any allocation the last two months. They were getting 3-5 a month, everyone else’s numbers are increasing and I’m supposed to believe they went two months, and he claims they haven’t gotten any allocations yet this month, that could be true.

If this were any other car I would have walked away a long time ago. The worst part of all is when they finally do give me my allocation I have a feeling they are going to try to charge me more than MSRP. I’m having a hard time buying from them period at this point. If they try to hit me for more money I can’t in good conscience do it.

Sorry, once I get going on this subject it’s hard not to vent yet again. With the attitude and greed of salesman and dealerships across the country this incredible product they’ve come out with could very well end up hurting GM overall. They’ve lost two units already from me since I put the deposit down on my car. Had this dealership would have treated me right they would have gotten them. Instead one went to Ford and one to Nissan.
Old 12-09-2021, 11:34 AM
kurumatt
Instructor

Received 117 Likes on 57 Posts

All along GM has said a chip shortage was never an issue on the C8. I’m getting so discouraged with this dealership. I was number 4 in line for allocation in April, then 23rd in May. Then the general manager telling me he couldn’t put me in line by my deposit date even though it was the salesman’s fault for never entering my order. Tried to tell me he couldn’t change his internal list because GM had it locked down tight. I knew that was a lie so supposedly got that taken care of which landed me at number 13. Now that I’m back at the top of the list they are telling me they haven’t gotten any allocation the last two months. They were getting 3-5 a month, everyone else’s numbers are increasing and I’m supposed to believe they went two months, and he claims they haven’t gotten any allocations yet this month, that could be true.

If this were any other car I would have walked away a long time ago. The worst part of all is when they finally do give me my allocation I have a feeling they are going to try to charge me more than MSRP. I’m having a hard time buying from them period at this point. If they try to hit me for more money I can’t in good conscience do it.

Sorry, once I get going on this subject it’s hard not to vent yet again. With the attitude and greed of salesman and dealerships across the country this incredible product they’ve come out with could very well end up hurting GM overall. They’ve lost two units already from me since I put the deposit down on my car. Had this dealership would have treated me right they would have gotten them. Instead one went to Ford and one to Nissan.

Man that sucks. Sorry to hear about your luck. Go put in a deposit at MM. You'll have to wait another year, but at least you know there is no bs going on. msrp and your number in line is clearly marked...
Old 12-09-2021, 11:34 AM
Korbek
Melting Slicks

Received 2,029 Likes on 835 Posts

Just get on MacMulkins list and forget about it. You'll have your car in 12-15 months. If you don't you'll still be waiting on this dealer a year from now by the sounds of it.

I'd bet good money they are allowing people willing to pay a big markup to "jump" the line, which is why they are feeding you BS about your spot on the list changing, months without allocations, etc.

Get your deposit back, go to MacMulkin, and be patient for a year ish and you'll have your C8 at MSRP with no bullshit and no games.
The following 3 users liked this post by Korbek:
5632 (12-09-2021), Dads2kconvertible (12-11-2021), Markamen (12-10-2021)
Old 12-09-2021, 11:49 AM
DRK_SIDE
Advanced

Received 62 Likes on 40 Posts

I'd check around with some smaller dealerships. Unfortunately the line for MSRP is extremely long at this point. The more you are willing to pay over MSRP the shorter the line gets. Thru another forum I found a smaller dealership in Texas that had an October allocation that no one on their list wanted (for the mere $5,000 over sticker they were asking). I thought that was pretty reasonable to not have to wait a year plus on some dealers MSRP list or pay $20k + dealers had on stock units. Car should come off the line tomorrow with hopefully museum delivery before Christmas.
Old 12-09-2021, 02:31 PM
gliot1
Safety Car

Received 1,513 Likes on 783 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12-'13

I have been told by our Corvette salesmen at my dealer that no chips have been witheld on Corvettes, being every one built is pretty much already sold to customers and few sit on lots.
​​​​​
The following users liked this post:
Davet435 (12-09-2021)
Old 12-09-2021, 02:56 PM
See8
Pro

Received 649 Likes on 262 Posts

Sorry, once I get going on this subject it’s hard not to vent yet again. With the attitude and greed of salesman and dealerships across the country this incredible product they’ve come out with could very well end up hurting GM overall.
Starting to feel like I may be in the same boat. Was at #10 a few months ago. Was told I'd be moving up because they were getting 5 deliveries and 1 or 2 people in line are expected to be dropping off the list. So I stopped in a month later and I was still at #10. Lol.
I told the sales guy I'll stop in early next year for an update, and he said no, no, no, -- we may be ready to place your order next month. The way things are looking right now, realistically I may be looking at a 2023.
I too was promised MSRP. Any deviation from that and I will walk.
Old 12-09-2021, 08:10 PM
Davet435
Racer

Originally Posted by See8
Starting to feel like I may be in the same boat. Was at #10 a few months ago. Was told I'd be moving up because they were getting 5 deliveries and 1 or 2 people in line are expected to be dropping off the list. So I stopped in a month later and I was still at #10. Lol.
I told the sales guy I'll stop in early next year for an update, and he said no, no, no, -- we may be ready to place your order next month. The way things are looking right now, realistically I may be looking at a 2023.
I too was promised MSRP. Any deviation from that and I will walk.
Sorry you’re going through that. It sucks. Thankfully you haven’t gone backwards yet! You aren’t in the Dallas area are you? I’m not the kind of person who is going to call every week when I knew it was a long wait from the start but it almost makes you wonder if they are giving the people who do that allocation to get them out of their hair. Squeaky wheel gets oiled. I actually could find out if they are jerking me around but I really don’t want to pull another one of their customers into it.
Old 12-09-2021, 08:12 PM
Davet435
Racer

Originally Posted by kurumatt
Man that sucks. Sorry to hear about your luck. Go put in a deposit at MM. You'll have to wait another year, but at least you know there is no bs going on. msrp and your number in line is clearly marked...
Originally Posted by Korbek
Just get on MacMulkins list and forget about it. You'll have your car in 12-15 months. If you don't you'll still be waiting on this dealer a year from now by the sounds of it.

I'd bet good money they are allowing people willing to pay a big markup to "jump" the line, which is why they are feeding you BS about your spot on the list changing, months without allocations, etc.

Get your deposit back, go to MacMulkin, and be patient for a year ish and you'll have your C8 at MSRP with no bullshit and no games.

I think I’m going to do that tomorrow.
Old 12-09-2021, 08:20 PM
Davet435
Racer

Originally Posted by DRK_SIDE
I'd check around with some smaller dealerships. Unfortunately the line for MSRP is extremely long at this point. The more you are willing to pay over MSRP the shorter the line gets. Thru another forum I found a smaller dealership in Texas that had an October allocation that no one on their list wanted (for the mere $5,000 over sticker they were asking). I thought that was pretty reasonable to not have to wait a year plus on some dealers MSRP list or pay $20k + dealers had on stock units. Car should come off the line tomorrow with hopefully museum delivery before Christmas.
tried that yesterday, a smaller dealership about 50 miles from here. I called them yesterday and they told me they had two allocations. Told him I would be there this morning, then he called me back and told me they used them for stock units they also already had another unit on the way for inventory. Looked at their add and they have 15K tacked onto the price. This particular dealership is in truck country. Obviously they don’t sell many Vette’s. It makes no sense to me that a dealership, with no list, who already has a stock unit on the way would get two allocations and a dealership 50 miles away with a list wouldn’t get any.
Old 12-09-2021, 08:48 PM
Maxie2U
Le Mans Master

Received 4,225 Likes on 2,273 Posts

GM builds 3 million cars a year it doesn’t take a genius to figure out they will continue to prioritize their high margin/profit vehicles that demands a very low % of their total chip demand.

Last edited by Maxie2U; 12-09-2021 at 09:14 PM.
Old 12-09-2021, 09:15 PM
BIG Dave
Le Mans Master

Received 4,684 Likes on 1,862 Posts

BGA produced 157 C8’s yesterday and 186 the day before. Seems like they’re pumping them out just fine.
Old 12-09-2021, 09:24 PM
lynnnugget
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

tried that yesterday, a smaller dealership about 50 miles from here. I called them yesterday and they told me they had two allocations. Told him I would be there this morning, then he called me back and told me they used them for stock units they also already had another unit on the way for inventory. Looked at their add and they have 15K tacked onto the price. This particular dealership is in truck country. Obviously they don’t sell many Vette’s. It makes no sense to me that a dealership, with no list, who already has a stock unit on the way would get two allocations and a dealership 50 miles away with a list wouldn’t get any.
what is the name of the dealership?
Old 12-09-2021, 09:37 PM
Ed Cordes
Melting Slicks

Received 802 Likes on 272 Posts

Man, whenever I read these horror stories I count my lucky stars that my small local dealer is honest. On 12/11/20 I ordered with a 2K deposit with an agreement to buy at MSRP. I was told to expect a long wait and no guarantee it would be a '21. On 8/27/21 I took delivery of my wonderful C8 Coupe and paid MSRP. There are honest dealers who want to support their local community out there. I would suggest the OP search around for another dealer and when things start to move then cancel the original order and tell the original dealership to pound salt.
Bird67 (12-10-2021)
Old 12-10-2021, 02:06 AM
Parsaver
Instructor

Received 86 Likes on 50 Posts

I just read GM was offering overtime at a couple plants so ....no shortage lol
Davet435 (12-10-2021)

Get notified of new replies

To Chip shortage??

Old 12-10-2021, 06:24 AM
Davet435
Racer

Originally Posted by BIG Dave
BGA produced 157 C8’s yesterday and 186 the day before. Seems like they’re pumping them out just fine.
Sam Pack’s Five Star Chevrolet
Old 12-10-2021, 06:33 AM
Davet435
Racer

Originally Posted by Ed Cordes
Man, whenever I read these horror stories I count my lucky stars that my small local dealer is honest. On 12/11/20 I ordered with a 2K deposit with an agreement to buy at MSRP. I was told to expect a long wait and no guarantee it would be a '21. On 8/27/21 I took delivery of my wonderful C8 Coupe and paid MSRP. There are honest dealers who want to support their local community out there. I would suggest the OP search around for another dealer and when things start to move then cancel the original order and tell the original dealership to pound salt.
I’m glad you had a pleasant experience. There are some good dealerships, it really depends on management. Checking around the majority of the salespeople I’ve dealt with don’t want to give you the time of day and act like they’re doing you a favor by selling you a car prices over MSRP.
Old 12-10-2021, 01:30 PM
Warp Ten
Drifting

Received 598 Likes on 350 Posts

My local dealership here in Columbia SC is selling at C8's at MSRP, + DOC fee ( ???? ) and has been getting 2-3 cars per month. Now they have about a 4 month wait list for a Stingray. When I was there a 30ish guy was picking up a Z51 and I was told it only took 3 months form order to delivery. It also is his second Z51. He plans to flip this one too and get on the Z06 list. The Z06 list is above 50 as of 1 Dec 21 and I'm number 29 on that list. Maybe they will get 6 Z06 per year, so I'm gearing up for a 2027 Z06 Delivery..

Quick Reply: Chip shortage??