Notices
C8 General Discussion The place to discuss the next generation of Corvette.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Anyone ever get “Transmission creep temporarily disabled’ message?

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-2021, 03:30 PM
dohabandit
Melting Slicks

Received 1,444 Likes on 804 Posts

Originally Posted by kong
Since when do you have to be a mechanic to own a C8? I do not remember being told that I would have to purchase a scanner? Not all owners ( me ) are mechanically inclined. I should be able to go to the dealer and get problems fixed except with the C8 you cannot trust the dealership? This is all ridiculous of course and I would sell my C8 instantly if I had to do all this to own it. I have too many other important things to do then try to be a mechanic. If some of you like t do this stuff go for it. Not me!
There are people who take their cars into oil change places that are blissfully ignorant. The tech comes in and shakes their PCV valve in their face and tells them the valve is damaged and needs to be replaced for $75 because it is making a rattling sound. Or they try to sell them on a new O2 sensor for $300 telling them it is a ton of labor when it is basically like replacing a spark plug and probably doesn't need to be replaced. Don't be that guy that gets ripped off.

You don't need to be a master mechanic to arm yourself with basic knowledge. An OBD2 scanner is super easy and cheap (if you can plug in a COFFEE POT, you might be able to figure it out), and retrieving the codes lets you see if trouble is "brewing" before it gets to the check engine light (CEL) state.
Normally, you shouldn't see any codes. If you see any codes related to the the TCM (transmission control module), you probably should schedule a visit with the dealer sooner than later.
Old 12-29-2021, 05:30 PM
Bob Paris
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,373 Likes on 1,063 Posts

[QUOTE=CGZO6;1604514173]Update from today - Service dept says they're gonna need it for a couple of more days. Mentioned going through GM's troubleshooting procedure. Asked if they did the solenoid flush - nope (thought that would be the first step). [QUOTE]

For what it's worth... Over 2-1/2 months ago I got a CEL and idle creep message at under 400 miles. The codes, P0776 and P2854, and CEL cleared themselves later that day and have not returned and I now have over 3,600 miles. I will make sure that they do the "internal flush" when they do the DCT filter change at 7500 miles. I did not bother bringing the car to the dealer since the codes were thought to be from debris interfering with a solenoid which is presumed to be a one-time thing. Since I have driven over 3,200 miles without any further issues, things appear to be OK and will be addressed at 7,500 mile service.

Last edited by Bob Paris; 12-30-2021 at 05:13 PM.
The following users liked this post:
JimB. (12-29-2021)
Old 12-30-2021, 05:07 PM
CGZO6
Drifting

Received 325 Likes on 180 Posts

Update on mine (21 Z51 HTC 2400 miles) - dealer did the solenoid flush procedure, drove home, no issues yet (fingers crossed).
The following 2 users liked this post by CGZO6:
dohabandit (12-30-2021), Ron_Attleboro_MA (04-10-2023)
Old 01-04-2022, 05:45 PM
CGZO6
Drifting

Received 325 Likes on 180 Posts

Originally Posted by CGZO6
Update on mine (21 Z51 HTC 2400 miles) - dealer did the solenoid flush procedure, drove home, no issues yet (fingers crossed).
Well, wouldn't go into reverse yesterday. Service Transmission message. Back at dealership (guess they'll throw a valve body at it).
Old 01-04-2022, 08:28 PM
mazurekd
Burning Brakes

Received 313 Likes on 150 Posts

OP here. I posted my recent tribulations on another thread, thinking this one was getting stagnant. But people are still here! Great, continue reading here:

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...post1604541234

Transmission Update

(Opening thread here)
Originally Posted by mazurekd
I wrote earlier about my transmission (2021 Delivered in August 2021) woes. Twice I lost odd gears, though it rectified itself a few miles down the road. But each time I took it to a dealer I trust. First time, service manager cleared codes and CEL. Since it drove and shifted fine, I went on my way, both of us hoping it resolved itself. Then exact same thing happed again. Again it fixed itself about five miles of driving, and again took it to the dealership. This time, we scheduled a service appointment. Well, today was my service appointment. And wouldn’t you know it, it did the same thing. Loss of odd gears and CEL. Which was rather fortuitous since he would have the current codes available. Again, I regained all gears after about five miles after leaving home on my way to the dealership.

I arrived at the dealership, manager read the codes and drove it to the service area. I was planning on leaving it at least overnight. My wife meet me to drive back, but we looked at the appearal, and bought a nice hat (oh, and I put a $1,000 refundable deposit down on an eRay, at MRSP, seventh on the list, but that’s another story for another forum).

So to the guts of the story. Since I took my time leaving, I stopped to check in with the service manager before leaving. Good thing I did. He stated the tech had done another C8 transmission with same symptoms. He said he’s ordering a transmission module and once it comes in (when it comes in is the $64 question) he’ll schedule appointment for the install. I asked about the flush and fresh filter. He stated GM has their procedure, and the module is the next step. I was surprised he would do that before the flush, but who am I too argue? I even brought my own filter and two quarts of transmission fluid should they not have them in stock. But it was not needed. (The two quarts were for adding, if they were topping up the lost fluid from on top rather than by the check hole by the axle. If it was convenient, I wished then to add the two quarts. Couldn’t hurt, maybe help. But not necessary today.)

So now I await for the transmission module. If that doesn’t do it, I then get to stand in line for a new transmission. Oh well, as of now, the car runs fine, but I am cautious that this may happen again, leaving me stranded. Even though I am in Wisconsin, I do drive it as long as the roads are clear. One reason I did not get the Z-51, I wanted the all season tires. Got sick of changing over twice a year with my C6.

Hope to hear from you concerning this. Thanks all.

Last edited by mazurekd; 01-04-2022 at 08:57 PM.
Old 09-14-2022, 05:30 PM
mixalive
Pro

Received 37 Likes on 24 Posts

Following
Old 03-08-2023, 08:35 PM
JeremyMoritz
Advanced

Received 52 Likes on 15 Posts
Default 1750 miles CEL

I just got the Idle creep message and CEL.

I'm super sad and hope it's a simple thing and not a whole new transmission. Will have to call the dealer tomorrow as it happened after they were closed.

Unfortunately, it's supposed to snow here the next couple nights so not sure I'll be able to bring it in until next week at the soonest.

I was getting so excited for spring and warm weather to get out daily.

I have a 2023 HTC Z51.

Any positive vibes sent my way are appreciated.
Old 03-08-2023, 10:01 PM
Bob Paris
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,373 Likes on 1,063 Posts

'22 Z51 HTC delivered in October 2021. I got a CEL and idle creep message at under 400 miles. The code cleared itself later that day and has never returned. Had the DCT filter changed at 7900 miles. Mine was a false alarm and I bet yours is too. Hope so
The following users liked this post:
JeremyMoritz (03-09-2023)
Old 03-08-2023, 10:22 PM
dohabandit
Melting Slicks

Received 1,444 Likes on 804 Posts

If it's cold, start it up and let it idle for a long time to get the engine and transmission temps higher.
Maybe with the fluid warmed up and circulating through the filters (there are two, internal pan filter and the external cannister filter) some debris will work its way loose from the solenoids and get caught in the filter?
Once you get it to the dealer, inquire about the X3 flush procedure. Have you checked the OBD2 codes yet? How many miles do you have on the car?
Old 03-09-2023, 06:52 AM
JeremyMoritz
Advanced

It happened at about 1750 miles and definitely was not going into certain gears (if I recall evens).

After driving a bit it was back to normal but the CEL is still on. I'm going to take to the dealer this morning and leave it with them.

It happened after I started it and didn't let it warm up very long before pulling out of my parking.

Thank you. I'm definitely going to ask about the flush.
Old 03-09-2023, 05:48 PM
JeremyMoritz
Advanced

Update - Was able to drop the car off today. They cleared the codes, went and drove it and couldn't get it to reproduce so they sent me on my way. I guess now I hope that it was a blip and nothing serious. I have 5700 miles until first service. Glad this is all under warranty so I'm going to just drive it and hope all goes well.
Old 04-09-2023, 07:24 PM
ATL Steve
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Idle creep disabled with CEL

So I merely installed catch-can on my 2022 C* like I have done on every other direct injection car I own. No drama on any of them but the C8 went into Idle creep disabled mode, threw a CEL and shifted very strange. Rechecked all the catch-cam plumbing which was perfect and restarted the car. Still in those modes. So I dug out my OBDII scanner [the C8 is OBDIII] plugged it in a ran a scan. It's found a "Transmission fault" code. I cleared the code and all is well. So what does installing a catrch can have to do with the transmission?
Old 04-10-2023, 06:15 AM
BillBall
Instructor

Received 65 Likes on 41 Posts

Originally Posted by mazurekd
Well I did the other day. Took it out to see if other than that, all was fine. Well, it wasn’t. Transmission only used 2nd and 4th, unresponsive to the paddles or with great delay. Check engine light on steady. Brought it home, parked in garage. Waited a bit, restarted -no message about transmission creep disabled (it was working), but engine warning light back on. Took it out, seemed fine but for the light. Transmission was using both even and odd gears. Responsive to the paddles.

I plan on seeing a dealer to check out the check engine light, and see what code it may throw. It only has over 900 miles on it (2021HTC). I hope I can come in to the service department unannounced, and get it checked. Wish me luck, and I’ll report back. Any comments welcomed.
This may be the problem. I have a 1989 Porsche 928 (front engine water-cooled V8) with 300K miles on an untouched motor. Over the 23 years that I have owned it, It has been absolutely stone-cold reliable despite the fact that I beat the crap out of it all the time. I used to enter it in open-road races in Nevada a couple of times a year and average 150 MPH for the 100-mile races. I put a supercharger on it and did block long burnouts for fun. It's common knowledge among 928 owners that these cars hate sitting unused. The low mileage garage queens have all kinds of problems and end up suffering premature engine and transmission failures. Seals dry out and leak, water vapor condenses and collects inside components over long periods that never get warmed up enough to boil it out, relays and sensors fail due to corrosion, corrosion forms due to uncirculated lubrication, and things start sticking. In the last 5 years, I accumulated 5 motorcycles and 4 cars, and the trusty old 928 has sat almost unused. I drove it a few months ago and it started acting up, not shifting out of 3rd gear consistently, then something happened and the reverse clutch stuck (it's an automatic) and the car stranded me for the first time.

When you get it fixed, drive it more often.

Last edited by BillBall; 04-10-2023 at 06:20 AM.
Old 04-10-2023, 06:59 AM
JerryU
E-Ray, 3LZ, ZER, LIFT
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 9,651 Likes on 6,649 Posts

^^^
One of my Business Managers had a 928, which I thought was a great looking car compared to the 911! At the time and still today the 911 as some would call my 1st car (a '41 Ford business coupe) had the appearance of an an upside-down wheelbarrow!

It's funny Dr. Porsche new the right place for an engine was in the middle and built the 1st 356 sports car as an ME in 1948. BUT too expensive for Germany recovering from the War. So he used a VW to make the production cars.

The 911 was on it's late legs and was ready to be replaced with the "modern design 928" when an American was make Porsche CEO. With mostly "hue and cry's" from American customers caused him to revise the costly, money losing car!

Peter Schutz, former CEO who saved Porsche 911, dies at 87 | Automotive News Europe (autonews.com)

That discussion does not say he hired Toyota Engineering to redesign the 911 from a hand built, way to costly car. Or that even with the redesign it was expensive so he introduced the new car at a high price those "crazy Americans" would still buy with their beloved rear mounted air cooled engine. Or that one of the car mags caught the BS in the ads for the new 911 having a better weight balance by their use of rear titanium parts when they also added lead to the front bumper!

Don't get me wrong, Porsche Engineers have done a great job with one arm tied behind their back of engineering that rear engine car with ~64% rear weight into a great handler. As Tadge said it took them several generations to correct the inherent oversteer of his Dad's era rear heavy Porsche and they (GM) had to get it right the 1st time-AND DID WITH THE C8.

Dr. Porsche knew the right place for an engine was in the middle! Zora worked for him in Europe before coming to the US. His reason for always wanting and building prototype ME Vettes.

Some said my 1st car a '41 Ford business coupe looked like an upside-down wheelbarrow. They were right and when iI saw a Porsche 911 thought the same. They are better now but IMO not as good looking as my FE and ME Vettes!

Last edited by JerryU; 04-10-2023 at 07:30 AM.

Quick Reply: Anyone ever get “Transmission creep temporarily disabled’ message?