Notices
C8 General Discussion The place to discuss the next generation of Corvette.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

No Range device for C8

Search this Thread

Old 11-26-2021, 01:12 PM
RKCRLR
Le Mans Master

Received 6,246 Likes on 3,427 Posts

Originally Posted by Shokosugi
Uninformed question… I found the cylinder deactivation to be fairly seamless on the Stingray and don’t really have an issue with it. If it’s completely seamless, doesn’t create long term issues and appropriate for a sports car, why aren’t they using it on the Z06. Or am I mistaken?
There aren't any hydraulic lifters in the C8 Z06 (uses shims for lash adjustment) and there doesn't appear to be any room to incorporate anything like AFM between the cam and lift fingers.
The following users liked this post:
Shokosugi (11-26-2021)
Old 11-26-2021, 01:12 PM
JerryU
E-Ray, 3LZ, ZER, LIFT
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 9,671 Likes on 6,661 Posts

Originally Posted by Shokosugi
Uninformed question… I found the cylinder deactivation to be fairly seamless on the Stingray and don’t really have an issue with it. If it’s completely seamless, doesn’t create long term issues and appropriate for a sports car, why aren’t they using it on the Z06. Or am I mistaken?
There are no hydraulic lifters to deactivate! Would have to design a completely different system (read post # 58, it's not simple!

There won't be many Z06's so the 8% increased fuel economy now being required by an administration 2024 to 2026 versus the 1.5% that had been in place so it won't be that critical in meeting the Corvette Family average. Same with the Zora. Demand easilly controlled with price!

Last edited by JerryU; 11-26-2021 at 01:19 PM.
Shokosugi (11-26-2021)
Old 11-26-2021, 02:00 PM
THX_ZORA
Burning Brakes

Received 611 Likes on 339 Posts

another plus for running manual mode at all times for me. I don't have to worry about whether V8-V4-V8 is fool-proof or not. I personally don't like the idea of dropping 4 cylinders, then activating them, et cetera, regardless of the mechanics behind how it works. I'll gladly take the MPG hit, plus my car is rarely on interstates/running at consistent speeds for any period of time anyway

Last edited by THX_ZORA; 11-26-2021 at 02:08 PM.
Old 11-26-2021, 02:17 PM
Footsam
Heel & Toe

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by JerryU
Yep, all these speculative comments about failures etc are just that! Never saw any significant reports of V4 causing issues in the 7 years of the C7.

For all the so-called purists, perhaps they should drive were I do a lot of time in Z-Mode Powertrain set to Track (can set Ride etc to whatever they like. If they have sensitive butts can even use Touring- I have mine set to Sport- good enough for this 79-year-old!)

Now in Z-Mode Powertrain set to Track get a lot more than just not ever going into V4! It shifts up and down at higher rpm than other Drive Modes (other than Track.) It will never go into 7th or 8th and only into 6th past about 72 mph! So if they are so set against V4 why would you want to use those 3 OD gears? Heck 4th and 5th are OD in my Z51!

I also drive in one other Mode My Mode (never use Turing and will occasionally use Weather Mode when raining of below about 45F- which is seldom when and where I drive). Have that set to Sport so Ride is the same, eBoost and NPP set to Track in both Z-Mode and My Mode so drive feel is the same. However, in My Mode set to Sport it shifts at lower rpm's, uses all 8 gears AND goes into V4. I can't tell when it goes in or out. If I'm not driving aggressively who gives a crap! If I am (which is often in my rural area) it's push the Z Mode button!

As far as hearing in go in or out, hell the C8 Coupe is much quieter than my 2014 Z51 and 2017 Grand Sport BUT tire and road noise is still louder than anything you could possibly hear going to V4! For the tire/road noise I have my 14-speaker sound system playing 98% of the time! Janish Joplin singing "Cy Baby" drowns out tire and road noise. I defy anyone with "sensitive eras" to tell me they can hear past the tire/road when it goes into V4!
My 2017 Stingray had two DSA failures and in between had the front bearing migrate out, all in first 7000 miles. Installed Range AFM disabler after last DSA installed and never had another problem when I parted with the car at 34,000 miles.
Old 11-26-2021, 02:28 PM
Halfmoon378
Advanced

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts

I doubt that the DCT likes the power inputs changing either? Chevy can keep the 4 cyl. mode as far as I'm concerned. By the way, the AFM was left off the ZO6. If it's so great, why did they eliminate it?
Old 11-26-2021, 02:35 PM
JerryU
E-Ray, 3LZ, ZER, LIFT
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by Footsam
My 2017 Stingray had two DSA failures and in between had the front bearing migrate out, all in first 7000 miles. Installed Range AFM disabler after last DSA installed and never had another problem when I parted with the car at 34,000 miles.
A few failures doesn't constitutes a general problem. With over 150,000 C7s built don't recall it was a "significant issue," at least as posted on the forum when I had my Two C7s for ~7 years.

However understand your concern and empathize with the problem you had. However like when your neighbor is out of work it's a sign of a recession but when you are it's a depression! All relative, sorry for your issue BUT installing a "disabler" may have been a coincidence not the reason for no further failures..
Old 11-26-2021, 02:47 PM
JerryU
E-Ray, 3LZ, ZER, LIFT
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by Halfmoon378
I doubt that the DCT likes the power inputs changing either? Chevy can keep the 4 cyl. mode as far as I'm concerned. By the way, the AFM was left off the ZO6. If it's so great, why did they eliminate it?
See post # 62 as the reason the Z06 does not have it!

PS: It's NOT a power level input change, it's how it's achieved. It only occurs at low power so no big deal for the DCT. I'm sure it doesn't like my aggressive braking from ~70 mph when I leave the highway to turn into our rural road. In Z Mode Powertrain set to Track (where I often drive) it downshifts from 6th to 5th to 4th in the blink of an eye as I brake aggressively prior to the turn! There is often heavy traffic with folks on that 4 lane divided highway going to and leaving Myrtle Beach and I don't want that line of traffic behind me to have to break excessively!

SIDEBAR
GM has done a great job over the years getting the small block Chevy to produce 495 hp AND meet tougher EPA Requirements. Heck when I was ready to get my 1st Vette in 1974 the max power in a 350 cid small block was ~200 with the new EPA requirements that year. The 454 BB Vette only had 270 hp with less restrictive EPA requirements than today.

It's getting tougher as the current administration has announced they are implementing an 8% improvement in mpg requirement from current 1.5%. Get ready for not just V4, but Start/Start and probably the E Ray Hybrid system in most Vettes! Hell of a lot better IMO than EV's the Zealots are pushing!

The World is changing and if you haven't noticed no one is really concerned what high hp sports car folks want! Nope can't just pay money and pollute the World - like it or not!

HERE IS A QUICK SUMMARY OF WHAT IS COMMING:The current administration is reversing the prior administration's loosening of vehicle emissions rules with a plan to boost efficiency 10% from the 2023 model year and aiming for a fleet average of 52 miles per gallon by 2026.

The EPA proposal also calls for a near 5% stringency increase in each model year from 2024 through 2026.

Last edited by JerryU; 11-26-2021 at 03:13 PM.
Old 05-13-2023, 06:01 PM
loyalsince72
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Phil1098
Z mode or Track. Not sure why anyone would disable it in a C8, it is 100% invisible.
Obviously, you don't live in or near mountains. My C8 Z51 tends to go into 4 cylinder mode at 30 mph in fourth gear climbing hills. Since the Range is not available I put it in manual mode when I'm in the hills in town. My C7 GS has a range and I never have to think about it. I LOVE IT.
Ron_Attleboro_MA (05-14-2023)
Old 05-13-2023, 06:19 PM
JerryU
E-Ray, 3LZ, ZER, LIFT
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by loyalsince72
Obviously, you don't live in or near mountains. My C8 Z51 tends to go into 4 cylinder mode at 30 mph in fourth gear climbing hills. Since the Range is not available I put it in manual mode when I'm in the hills in town. My C7 GS has a range and I never have to think about it. I LOVE IT.
First like all my DD's for 62 years my 2017 Grand Sport was a standard shift. So never use ECO and therefore no V4. It fact with a standard shift you can feel it going in. I often drive my C8 in Z-Mode Power set to Track. Don't need any "Range Device." It also won't even use 7th or 8th. In my rural area I'm usually under 65 mph as it's a 55 mph limit it does not even go into 6th. Don't have to deal with it downshifting gears.

Heck 4th gear is a 0.88:1 overdrive and 5th, where I most drive is 0.66:1. Back in the day a "slushbox" with OD was typically 0.70:1 OD ratio. Heck 8th is 0.33:1 OD ratio! Great for GM to get a higher EPA mpg reading in that test that probably has the Vette using <75 hp! That's all that is needed for City and Highway cycle.

That said, when I use MY-Mode I have set to Sport (never use Touring) it does use all gears. The V8 to V4 is seamless. As they did with the slushbox in C7s they slip the clutches slightly so you can't tell.

If I had hills would be in Z-Mode Power set to Track all the time. I used Manual Mode for a month getting over every DD being a standard shift. But at the end of the rural road I live on is a stop sign and a 4-lane divided highway. Often heavy traffic going to and coming from Myrtle Beach. To merge I accelerate rapidly while making that 90-degree turn. With the wheel turned and 1st gear reaching redline at 34 mph in the blink of an eye the upshift paddle is out of position to pull. Hit the rev limiter several times. No fun with the car feeling like it hit a brick wall with ~70 mph traffic coming up fast behind! In Z-Mode Power set to Track it shifts just before redline! Been doing that for 2 1/2 years!

Last edited by JerryU; 05-13-2023 at 06:31 PM.
Old 05-13-2023, 07:47 PM
BJ67
Melting Slicks

Received 592 Likes on 373 Posts

Yep it will switch back but I guess it has nothing to do with lubrication or temp but rather keeping pressure in that cylinder. The V4 switch is very complex. They close the intake and exhaust valves in a special carefully controlled sequence to keep combustion pressure in the cylinders that are shut down.

For those interested this is a "condensed version" of how Cylinder Deactivation works"
(It's for the LT1 but the LT2 is probably the same. My Bold in Red)

To provide maximum fuel economy under light load driving conditions, the engine control module (ECM) will command the cylinder deactivation system ON to deactivate engine cylinders1, 7, 6, and 4, switching to a V4mode. The engine will operate on 8cylinders, or V8mode, during engine starting, engine idling, and medium to heavy throttle applications.

Manifold absolute pressure (MAP) and the conditions listed below determine when cylinder deactivation is enabled.

•Engine has been running for greater than 30
s
•Engine speed is between 700 and 2800
rpm
•Engine oil pressure is between 187–455
kPa (2766psi)
•Engine coolant temperature is between 40–129°C (100–264°F)
•Engine oil temperature is between 16–128°C (61–263°F)
•Throttle angle is 6% or less
•Ignition voltage is greater than 11
V
•Vehicle speed is greater than 25
kph (15.5mph)
When cylinder deactivation is commanded, the ECM will determine what cylinder is firing and begin deactivation on the next closest deactivated cylinder in firing order sequence. For example, if cylinder number 1 is on its combustion event when cylinder deactivation is commanded ON, the next cylinder in the firing order sequence that can be deactivated is cylinder number 7. If cylinder number5 is on its combustion event when cylinder deactivation is commanded ON, then the next cylinder in the firing order sequence that can be deactivated is cylinder number4.

Cylinder deactivation is accomplished by not allowing the intake and exhaust valves to open on the selected cylinders by using special valve lifters. The deactivation lifters contain spring loaded locking pins that connect the internal pin housing of the lifter to the outer housing.

The pin housing contains the lifter plunger and pushrod seat which interfaces with the pushrod. The outer housing contacts the camshaft lobe through a roller. During V8
mode, when all cylinders are active, the locking pins are pushed outward by spring force, locking the pin housing and outer housing together causing the lifter to function as a normal lifter. When cylinder deactivation is commanded ON, the locking pins are pushed inward with engine oil pressure directed from the valve lifter oil manifold assembly solenoids. When the lifter pin housing is unlocked from the outer housing, the pin housing will remain stationary, while the outer housing will move with the profile of the camshaft lobe, which results in the valve remaining closed. One valve lifter oil manifold assembly solenoid controls both the intake and exhaust valves for each deactivating cylinder. There are 2distinct oil passages going to each cylinder deactivation lifter bore, one for the hydraulic lash-adjusting feature of the lifter, and one for controlling the locking pins used for cylinder deactivation.

Although both intake and exhaust valve lifters are controlled by the same solenoid in the valve lifter oil manifold assembly, the intake and exhaust valves do not become deactivated at the same time.
Cylinder deactivation is timed so that the cylinder is on an intake event. During an intake event, the intake cam lobe is pushing the valve lifter upwards to open the intake valve against the force of the valve spring. The force exerted by the valve spring is acting on the side of the lifter locking pins, preventing them from moving until the intake valve has closed. When the intake valve lifter reaches the base circle of the camshaft lobe, the valve spring force is reduced, allowing the locking pins to move, deactivating the intake valve. However, when cylinder deactivation is commanded ON, the exhaust valve for the deactivated cylinder is in the closed position, allowing the locking pins on the valve lifter to move immediately, and deactivate the exhaust valve.

By deactivating the exhaust valve first, this allows the capture of a burnt air/fuel charge, or exhaust gas charge, in the combustion chamber. The capture of exhaust gases in the combustion chamber will contribute to a reduction in oil consumption, noise and vibration levels, and exhaust emissions when operating in V4 mode cylinder deactivation mode.

During the transition from V8 to V4mode, the Fuel Injectors will be turned OFF on the deactivated cylinders. To help prevent spark plug fouling, the ignition system secondary voltage or spark is still present across the spark plug electrodes on the deactivated cylinders. If all enabling conditions are met and maintained for cylinder deactivation operation, the ECM calibrations will limit cylinder deactivation to a cycle time of 10minutes in V4mode, then return to V8mode for 1minute.

Switching between V8 and V4modes is accomplished in less than 250milliseconds, making the transitions seamless and transparent to the vehicle operator. The 250milliseconds includes the time for the ECM to sequence the transitions, the response time for the valve lifter oil manifold assembly solenoids to energize, and the time for the valve lifters to deactivate, all within 2revolutions of the engine crankshaft.

Valve Lifter Oil Manifold Assembly

The cylinder deactivation system uses an electro-hydraulic actuator device called the valve lifter oil manifold assembly. The valve lifter oil manifold assembly is bolted to the top of the engine valley, below the intake manifold assembly. The valve lifter oil manifold assembly consists of 4electrically operated normally closed solenoids. Each solenoid controls the application of engine oil pressure to the intake and exhaust valve lifters on the cylinders selected to deactivate. Engine oil pressure is routed to the valve lifter oil manifold assembly from an internal oil passage on the rear of the cylinder block.

All 4
valve lifter oil manifold assembly solenoids are connected in parallel to a fused ignition1 voltage circuit, supplied by the powertrain relay. The ground or control circuit for each solenoid is connected to a low side driver internal to the engine control module (ECM).

When all enabling conditions are met for cylinder deactivation, the ECM will ground each solenoid control circuit in firing order sequence, allowing current to flow through the solenoid windings. With the coil windings energized, the solenoid valve opens, redirecting engine oil pressure through the valve lifter oil manifold assembly into 8
separate vertical passages in the engine lifter valley. The 8vertical passages, 2per cylinder, are connected to the valve lifter bores of the cylinders to be deactivated. When vehicle-operating conditions require a return to V8mode, the ECM will turn OFF the control circuit for the solenoids, allowing the solenoid valves to close. With the solenoid valves closed, engine oil pressure in the control ports is exhausted through the body of the solenoids into the engine block lifter valley. The housing of the valve lifter oil manifold assembly incorporates several bleeds in the oil passages to purge any air trapped in the valve lifter oil manifold assembly or engine block.

To help control contamination to the hydraulic circuits, a small replaceable oil screen is located in the valve lifter oil manifold assembly oil inlet passage, below the oil pressure sensor. The oil pressure sensor is a 3-wire sensor which provides oil pressure information to the ECM.

During service, use extreme care in keeping the valve lifter oil manifold assembly free of any contamination or foreign material.

Cylinder deactivation may be inhibited for many reasons including the following:

•Engine coolant temperature out of range for cylinder activation
•Engine vacuum out of range
•Brake booster vacuum out of range
•Transmission gear incorrect or shift in progress
•Accelerator pedal out of range or rate of pedal application to fast
•Engine oil pressure and temperature out of range
•Engine speed out of range
•Vehicle speed out of range

•Minimum time in V8 mode not met
•Maximum V4 mode time exceeded

•Decel fuel cutoff is active
•Reduced engine power is active
•Torque management is active
•Catalytic converter over temperature protection is active
•Piston protection is active, knock detected
•Cylinder deactivation solenoid driver circuit faults
I wonder if I unplug the oil temp sensor/sender unit if I would make V4 mode not come on.
Old 05-13-2023, 07:53 PM
BJ67
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by Phil1098
Z mode or Track. Not sure why anyone would disable it in a C8, it is 100% invisible.
Because V4 mode sucks.
Ron_Attleboro_MA (05-14-2023)
Old 05-13-2023, 07:59 PM
BJ67
Melting Slicks

Cannot wait until the tuners can get into the ECM.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?utm_so...ature=youtu.be
Old 05-13-2023, 09:51 PM
Michael A
Le Mans Master

Received 2,952 Likes on 1,378 Posts

I've driven cars where the cylinder deactivation is subtle but noticeable. I just drove my C8 over 180 miles yesterday through all types of traffic. I honestly forgot it even had AFM.
Old 05-14-2023, 12:58 AM
MarkMeHopeful
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,577 Likes on 857 Posts
2022 C8 of the Year Finalist - Modified

Originally Posted by loyalsince72
If your C8 goes into V4 mode when climbing even a slight hill then there is something wrong with it. You should take it to the dealer and have it fixed. Mine won't enter V4 mode with even the slightest extra pressure on the throttle (which surely you have to maintain speed) and kicks out when going from flat highway to a slight rise.
Old 05-14-2023, 12:19 PM
68/70Vette
Team Owner

Received 552 Likes on 378 Posts

I read many of all of these posts. Two things I noted:
(1) During transitions from V8 to V4 and V4 to V8, the clutches in the DCT slip to prevent a powertrain induced jolt the driver would otherwise notice
(2) In V4, the engine operates in V4 mode for 10 minutes, transitions to V8 mode for one minute, and then transitions back to V4 for another 10 minutes.

This in turn leads to thoughts that......
(1) over long turn use, the V8/V4/V8... transitions will be element of clutch wear-out degradation. A small wear-out degradation per transition, but in the aggregate significant?
(2) the engine is not to operate in V4 for more than 10 minutes, without a 1 minute operation in V8. To me this implies there is something harmful in continuous V4 operation.

But not to castigate the Corvette engineering team. All of this sophisticated complicated technology for this and many other things means that they can present this car for sale and meet all of the government mandates. It's accept this stuff, otherwise it won't be possible to present the car for sale.
........................................ .
Will the V8/V4/V8 transitions result eventually in the need for clutch replacement? With the automatic engine stop/start/stop transitions lead to premature starter motor brush wear out? Just keep in mind that the cost savings in gasoline consumption, will be obliterated by the cost of clutch replacement or starter motor replacement? Or maybe the cost to repair the automatic transition functions themselves if/when they fail.

If we don't like things like this, what about writing to our Representative or Senators in Congress? This will be a moot activity. Most of these federal intrusions into our lives do not come from Congress, but rather from unelected government bureaucrats.

Last edited by 68/70Vette; 05-14-2023 at 12:31 PM.
Old 05-14-2023, 12:21 PM
JerryU
E-Ray, 3LZ, ZER, LIFT
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by BJ67
I wonder if I unplug the oil temp sensor/sender unit if I would make V4 mode not come on.
You'll get a CEL! Just use Z-Mode Power set to Track! If MRC can set Ride to whatever. If not, has no effect of ride.
Old 05-14-2023, 12:43 PM
JerryU
E-Ray, 3LZ, ZER, LIFT
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by 68/70Vette
I read many of all of these posts. Two things I noted:
(1) During transitions from V8 to V4 and V4 to V8, the clutches in the DCT slip to prevent a power train induced jolt, the driver would otherwise notice
(2) In V4, the engine operates in V4 mode for 10 minutes, transitions to V8 mode for one minute, and then transitions back to V4 for another 10 minutes.

This in turn leads to thoughts that......
(1) over long turn use, the V8/V4/V8... transitions will be element of clutch wear-out degradation. A small wear-out degradation per transition, but in the aggregate significant?
(2) the engine is not to operate in V4 for more than 10 minutes, without a 1 minute operation in V8. To me this implies there is something harmful in continuous V4 operation.

But not to castigate the Corvette engineering team. All of this sophisticated complicated technology for this and many other things means that they can present this car for sale and meet all of the government mandates. It's accept this stuff, otherwise it won't be possible to present the car for sale.
Wrong conjecture! Have to understand what is happening before "guessing" the reasons for why it's being done!
  • The 1st gear clutch slips whenever you're taking off and driving below ~4 mph. Has to or the engine would stall. It also slips slightly when stopped per the Executive Corvette Chief Engineer Tadge Juechter. He also says it is designed to do that and no harm.
  • Yep it will switch back to V8 periodically but nothing wrong! It's to maintain combustion pressure in shut off cylinders.
SIDEBAR
For those interested this is a "VERY condensed version" of how Cylinder Deactivation works"
  • To provide maximum fuel economy under light load driving conditions, the engine control module (ECM) will command the cylinder deactivation.
  • When cylinder deactivation is commanded, the ECM will determine what cylinder is firing and begin deactivation on the next closest deactivated cylinder in firing order sequence.
  • Cylinder deactivation is accomplished by not allowing the intake and exhaust valves to open on the selected cylinders by using special valve lifters.
  • Cylinder deactivation is timed so that the cylinder is on an intake event.
  • By deactivating the exhaust valve first, this allows the capture of a burnt air/fuel charge, or exhaust gas charge, in the combustion chamber. The capture of exhaust gases in the combustion chamber contributes to a reduction in oil consumption, noise and vibration levels, and exhaust emissions when operating in V4 mode cylinder deactivation mode.
  • Switching between V8 and V4modes is accomplished in less than 250milliseconds, making the transitions seamless and transparent to the vehicle operator.

Get notified of new replies

To No Range device for C8

Old 05-14-2023, 02:35 PM
Red Mist Rulz
Race Director

Received 8,628 Likes on 4,318 Posts

Originally Posted by BJ67
It might, but it would probably also throw a code, and maybe trigger limp mode, since the car won't know why the oil temp is so low.
Old 05-14-2023, 03:46 PM
Andybump
Le Mans Master

Received 3,870 Likes on 2,293 Posts

Wrong conjecture! Have to understand what is happening before "guessing" the reasons for why it's being done!
  • The 1st gear clutch slips whenever you're taking off and driving below ~4 mph. Has to or the engine would stall. It also slips slightly when stopped per the Executive Corvette Chief Engineer Tadge Juechter. He also says it is designed to do that and no harm.
  • Yep it will switch back to V8 periodically but nothing wrong! It's to maintain combustion pressure in shut off cylinders.
SIDEBAR
For those interested this is a "VERY condensed version" of how Cylinder Deactivation works"
  • To provide maximum fuel economy under light load driving conditions, the engine control module (ECM) will command the cylinder deactivation.
  • When cylinder deactivation is commanded, the ECM will determine what cylinder is firing and begin deactivation on the next closest deactivated cylinder in firing order sequence.
  • Cylinder deactivation is accomplished by not allowing the intake and exhaust valves to open on the selected cylinders by using special valve lifters.
  • Cylinder deactivation is timed so that the cylinder is on an intake event.
  • By deactivating the exhaust valve first, this allows the capture of a burnt air/fuel charge, or exhaust gas charge, in the combustion chamber. The capture of exhaust gases in the combustion chamber contributes to a reduction in oil consumption, noise and vibration levels, and exhaust emissions when operating in V4 mode cylinder deactivation mode.
  • Switching between V8 and V4modes is accomplished in less than 250milliseconds, making the transitions seamless and transparent to the vehicle operator.
Jerry,
The microslip feature is documented in the "MidEngine Revolution" book on page 182. It says " The new dual-clutch transmission, however, has less inherent capability [ than a torque converter to mask the engine vibration [that results when switching between four and eight-cylinder operation] which is why cylinder deactivation technology has so rarely been used on a car with a dual-clutch transmission. The C8 engineers were able to marry these two technologies [referring to torque converter capability to absorb the vibration] in the new Corvette, however, by putting some micro-slip into the clutch control of the DCT." In addition to that there is also a "pendulum damper" documented in several articles about the TREMEC transmission as follows:"Connecting the LT2 engine’s crankshaft to the TR-9080’s clutch basket is the responsibility of a flywheel carrying the starter ring gear and a centrifugal pendulum damper that’s needed to quell torsional vibrations erupting during the engine’s migration between V4 and V8 firing modes (a fuel efficiency improver)."

I am curious about your explanation for the v4 duty cycle. Where is that documented? While it makes sense that might be to compensate for leak-down of the captured spent charge (which is necessary for the "spring effect" they cite", I have never see that written anywhere. If that is the only reason, it seems like it would only need to open and shut for 1 cycle to recapture a charge, rather than 1 minute. I previously speculated (but its conjecture and no proof) that it was related to making sure the the engine block was evenly heated. I am also surprised that the captured, spent charge would actually last for 10 minutes.

Old 05-14-2023, 03:53 PM
Red Mist Rulz
Race Director

Received 8,628 Likes on 4,318 Posts

There are literally 10s of millions of miles on small block V8s with AFM. Issues are few and far between once you get past the first generation of the technology. Search the web and you'll find lots of posts saying their engine had a lifter failure and blaming it on AFM. But I had a lifter failure on a 1966 Dodge, and no one had even thought about cylinder deactivation. Sometimes hydraulic lifters fail, in all kinds of engines. I suspect the 10 minute / 1 minute cycle has multiple reasons, including leak-down, maintaining even heat distribution and probably other things, but I haven't seen any documentation of it.

As for clutch wear, it's really too early to know. But a little clutch slippage in a multi-plate wet clutch is going to cause a lot less wear than on a traditional dry clutch. GM says they expect the clutches to last the life of the car in normal use. Hopefully they're right. I'm not really worried about it, personally. There are reasons, perhaps, to worry about the DCT, but I don't think AFM is one of them. My opinion.

Quick Reply: No Range device for C8