Notices
C8 General Discussion The place to discuss the next generation of Corvette.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Probable SOLUTION for most all Stingray DCT problems

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-2021, 11:30 AM
jvp
Tech Contributor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,840 Likes on 1,157 Posts
"Ask Tadge" Producer

Originally Posted by LT4 Z51
And Why would different gear ratios severely impact using the ZO6 trans on a Stingray? Make the Stingray quicker?
Doing that will require GM to re-certify the FE and emissions on the car because changing the final drive will affect both of those. Cost for GM goes up. And Stingray's FE will go down as a result of it. Maybe not far enough to tickle the gas guzzler tax, but it'll certainly cost more to drive.

Bottom line: If the ZO6 trans can be fitted to a Stingray, DO IT, or at least make a sound and logical argument as to why not! Again, bean counters vs. engineers....
Bottom line is that you're focused on the wrong thing with the Stringray's transmission. There's nothing wrong with its engineering. At all.

Read that carefully.
Old 11-20-2021, 04:02 PM
ffr1352
Pro

Received 81 Likes on 54 Posts

jvp, why is it the gt500 dct has very few reported problems and isn't it essentially the same dct as used in the corvette made by the same manufacturer?
Old 11-20-2021, 04:17 PM
jvp
Tech Contributor
Support Corvetteforum!

"Ask Tadge" Producer

Originally Posted by ffr1352
jvp, why is it the gt500 dct has very few reported problems and isn't it essentially the same dct as used in the corvette made by the same manufacturer?
It's not essentially the same; it's an entirely different, higher-torque unit from Tremec. I don't know my "Found On Road Dead"s too well: is the DCT in the GT500 a rear mounted transaxle like it is in the Corvette? Or is there a separate diff in the car?
The following users liked this post:
Peavey (11-22-2021)
Old 11-20-2021, 04:39 PM
JABCAT
Race Director

Received 8,883 Likes on 4,280 Posts
2020 C6 of the Year Winner - Modified

Bottom line: If the ZO6 trans can be fitted to a Stingray, DO IT, or at least make a sound and logical argument as to why not! Again, bean counters vs. engineers....
You’re assuming that the transmission in a car that hasn’t been release yet won’t have problems. They also tested the Stingray for ~ a million miles or whatever they said and new owners are having their transmission crap out in as little as 65 miles or some nonsense I’ve seen posted. Why are you so confident that there won’t be similar or different issues with the Z06 version?
Old 11-20-2021, 05:07 PM
ffr1352
Pro

Received 81 Likes on 54 Posts

Pretty neat video about dct operation
tr 9080 in c8 has transaxel as well, but assume dct components and operation are very similar as tr 9070 has output shaft for traditional shaft to rear end.
Tremec spec sheet doesn't show design torque or speed for tr 9080.
The following 2 users liked this post by ffr1352:
NoMatter (11-21-2021), Peavey (11-22-2021)
Old 11-21-2021, 07:09 AM
pas
Advanced

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

[QUOTE=Bird67;1604335972]Greg, I have scoured the spec sheets, build manuals, code references and even the on-line configurator, and I can’t find the option for the manual transmission anywhere! Can you or someone, anyone, direct me to the code???

[/the code OZ an in land of QUOTE]
Old 11-21-2021, 08:03 PM
LT4 Z51
Instructor

Received 117 Likes on 40 Posts

To JABCAT:
Usually, everything new will have a few unexpected problems, but HOPEFULLY using a newly upgraded tranny from the ZO6 would solve at least some of the problems that are in the Stingray Tremec. And I did NOT say that I was overly confident that there wouldn't be some problems in the new upgraded ZO6 transmission as you implied. To me, it only seems logical that if there is an upgraded version for the ZO6, GM should use it also for the standard Stingray, if it can be done. ANY upgrade as to reliability is better than NONE.

To JVP:
I'm not understanding what you mean when you say that I'm "focused on the wrong thing with the Stingrays' transmission". Please clarify where I'm "focused on the wrong thing". It seems that as long as GM is staying away from the gas-guzzler tax what's the issue? Is recertification really a huge hurdle or cost? Just asking, because to me it sounds like mostly a paperwork and number crunching exercise.
(Many contributors to this forum us initials and acronyms that aren't readily known to the casual reader, so what is the FE you refer to please. (Federal Emissions for CAFE standards?)

I'm simply focused on the many negative comments about the Stingray trans failures, and I'm trying to offer a "fix" to those failures by suggesting that GM use an upgraded version where ever they can in their cars . There are too many comments about C8 Stingray trans failures that take MONTHS to fix or REPLACE, while the internal guts of the car are scattered about (as I experienced with my C7). And for the price of this car (with relatively few miles), waiting months to repair or REPLACE it is unacceptable. Remember, we're talking about GM's "halo" product, and the C8 should be setting a good example and showing the highest standards of quality and reliability.
And JVP, with apologies, if something is failing there IS something wrong with the engineering, somewhere, somehow.

Last edited by LT4 Z51; 11-21-2021 at 08:20 PM. Reason: Spelling and content
Old 11-21-2021, 10:18 PM
jvp
Tech Contributor
Support Corvetteforum!

"Ask Tadge" Producer

I'm not understanding what you mean when you say that I'm "focused on the wrong thing with the Stingrays' transmission". Please clarify where I'm "focused on the wrong thing".
As I said in another thread along the same topic: the changes to the DCT for the Z06 are primarily to deal with the increased engine speeds. The shifts can (and in automatic mode, will) happen at 2000 RPMs higher than they do in the Stingray's DCT. That's a big deal, and is the reason for the improved oiling and enhanced clutches. Nothing GM's doing to the Z06's transmission is going to address the challenges folks are experiencing with the Stingray.

It seems that as long as GM is staying away from the gas-guzzler tax what's the issue? Is recertification really a huge hurdle or cost? Just asking, because to me it sounds like mostly a paperwork and number crunching exercise.
Yes, it's a big cost to re-certify. And then they have to explain to new customers why the fuel economy (FE) is worse in the newer Stingrays than it is with the older ones. And yes, FE is a big deal to Corvette buyers.

[insert the folks who puff up their chests and say something ridiculous like, "If you're worried about FE, drive another car!" Yeah, have fun with that.]

I also don't know what kind of negative impact the shorter gearing will have on the Stingray's emissions, but it will increase. All of that will have to be tested, verified, and certified.

And JVP, with apologies, if something is failing there IS something wrong with the engineering, somewhere, somehow.
Not as it applies to the failures that have been happening. Again: nothing GM's doing for the Z06's transmissions are going to address what Stingray drivers are experiencing.
The following users liked this post:
JABCAT (11-22-2021)
Old 11-24-2021, 11:48 AM
DoctorV8
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 75 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by jvp
It's not essentially the same; it's an entirely different, higher-torque unit from Tremec. I don't know my "Found On Road Dead"s too well: is the DCT in the GT500 a rear mounted transaxle like it is in the Corvette? Or is there a separate diff in the car?
All Mustangs have a front mounted trans and rear diff...that's unchanged since 1964, and it's the same even in the new GT500. It's a 7 speed TR 9070 vs the 8 speed 9080 in the C8. I would like to learn more about the differences in the internals between the two.

Quick Reply: Probable SOLUTION for most all Stingray DCT problems