Notices
C8 General Discussion The place to discuss the next generation of Corvette.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cockpit Noise Level

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-2021, 01:27 PM
MikeinAZ
Burning Brakes

Received 411 Likes on 251 Posts

Originally Posted by ajmart85
NPP. I keep forgetting to setup Z Mode before I drive. I typically drive around in Tour mode. So that's probably the reason. But even in Sport it just lacks that roar unless you really slam on the gas.
Its actually louder than you think outside, its just so quiet in the cabin. If you have the top off/down or just the windows down in sport mode, put your foot down and you can hear it. Again, I looked at several exhausts and decided on sport cats as I like the actual tone of the NPP exhaust and I LOVE the sound it has now. I went w/ 200 cel so they really flow and it really woke the sound up!
The following 2 users liked this post by MikeinAZ:
ajmart85 (10-20-2021), Ben406 (10-20-2021)
Old 10-20-2021, 01:34 PM
Phil1098
Race Director

Received 11,622 Likes on 4,649 Posts

Originally Posted by ajmart85
NPP. I keep forgetting to setup Z Mode before I drive. I typically drive around in Tour mode. So that's probably the reason. But even in Sport it just lacks that roar unless you really slam on the gas.
Use myMode and set the exhaust for Track. MyMode will stay as mode selected after you shut it off too. You can adjust everything else in myMode to Tour and have your cake and eat it too.
The following users liked this post:
ajmart85 (10-20-2021)
Old 10-20-2021, 01:55 PM
Fast Dawg
Le Mans Master

Received 2,532 Likes on 1,610 Posts

I've owned one of the last five generations and this one seems to be much quieter while I'm diving it. I remote started it while standing behind it and that showed me it isn't as quiet as I thought. I like the OEM performance exhaust and don't feel that I need for it to be any louder.
MikeinAZ (10-20-2021)
Old 10-20-2021, 02:30 PM
CorvetteSparky
Burning Brakes

Received 173 Likes on 114 Posts

Thanks for the feed back guys. That's good news, including the part about keeping your lunch warm in the trunk!
Old 10-20-2021, 03:05 PM
RKCRLR
Le Mans Master

Received 6,207 Likes on 3,407 Posts

Originally Posted by JohnUSA1
Thanks for helping. So I assume that there are no mats supplied from the factory, right?
How do I get the GM rewards points? I already have a GM rewards account.
I just checked here and the reward is 20,000 points for buying a new GM car
https://www.mygmrewards.com/earn
Do I give my GM account number to my dealer, MM, or this get handled another way?
Thanks.
No frunk/trunk mats come with the car as I remember.
I believe you need to give your rewards number to whoever you will be paying and filling out the paperwork.

Last edited by RKCRLR; 10-20-2021 at 03:06 PM.
Old 10-20-2021, 03:22 PM
Skid Row Joe
Team Owner

Received 4,011 Likes on 2,891 Posts

Originally Posted by Fast Dawg
I've owned one of the last five generations and this one seems to be much quieter while I'm diving it. I remote started it while standing behind it and that showed me it isn't as quiet as I thought. I like the OEM performance exhaust and don't feel that I need for it to be any louder.
Were they "last five generations) all coupes?

I only have driving experience of new C5 and C3 coupes. Of the two, only the C5 coupe had highly noticeable interior noise level from the rear hatchback region at speed. (45 mph and Up)
Old 10-20-2021, 04:34 PM
Majestic94
Safety Car

Received 1,913 Likes on 1,020 Posts

Originally Posted by Bburr
Remember:
Ice Cream in the Frunk
Pizza in the Trunk
For those that transport hot pizza vertically.
Tadge should have said “Chinese food” or something that makes more damn sense for the shape of the trunk.
Old 10-20-2021, 04:40 PM
progtp
Burning Brakes

Received 1,370 Likes on 469 Posts

Originally Posted by MikeinAZ
Its actually louder than you think outside, its just so quiet in the cabin. If you have the top off/down or just the windows down in sport mode, put your foot down and you can hear it. Again, I looked at several exhausts and decided on sport cats as I like the actual tone of the NPP exhaust and I LOVE the sound it has now. I went w/ 200 cel so they really flow and it really woke the sound up!
Which ones did you buy?
Old 10-20-2021, 04:42 PM
Garycoral
Instructor

Received 53 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by Majestic94
For those that transport hot pizza vertically.
Tadge should have said “Chinese food” or something that makes more damn sense for the shape of the trunk.
I was pleasantly surprised by how refined the car's interior sound was this being my first Corvette... What I was disappointed by was the amount of transaxle noise that penetrated the cabin - I was told it was normal (In fact quieter than average...)

Just traded my C8 for an M4 Comp. Xdrive so I'm curious to compare that sound level to the C8's.

Last edited by Garycoral; 10-20-2021 at 04:43 PM.
Old 10-20-2021, 05:06 PM
davelv
Racer

Received 187 Likes on 95 Posts

The C8 is deafening on some road surfaces such that trying to use the radio to drown it out just makes total noise level worse. Keep a pair of noise cancelling ear buds in center armrest and use as necessary.
Old 10-20-2021, 08:15 PM
MikeinAZ
Burning Brakes

Received 411 Likes on 251 Posts

Originally Posted by progtp
Which ones did you buy?
I went w/ 2M sport cats, they are the cheapest out there and was a bit worried about a cel and/or quality but have had them on for 3k miles and absolutely love them, no issues. They definitely wake the sound of the car up and I couldn't be happier. The shifts are really pronounced and sound really exotic. I had also changed out my air filter to an ATAK Blue and it changed the noise level a bit as well. If I need it quieter, I set My Mode for tour exhaust setting.
Old 10-21-2021, 09:20 AM
progtp
Burning Brakes

Received 1,370 Likes on 469 Posts

Originally Posted by MikeinAZ
I went w/ 2M sport cats, they are the cheapest out there and was a bit worried about a cel and/or quality but have had them on for 3k miles and absolutely love them, no issues. They definitely wake the sound of the car up and I couldn't be happier. The shifts are really pronounced and sound really exotic. I had also changed out my air filter to an ATAK Blue and it changed the noise level a bit as well. If I need it quieter, I set My Mode for tour exhaust setting.

Thanks for the feedback. I was also thinking of going with the 2M cats to try and increase the volume without sacrificing the NPP valved system so i can keep it quiet around the house.
MikeinAZ (10-21-2021)
Old 10-21-2021, 04:42 PM
Red Mist Rulz
Race Director

Received 8,573 Likes on 4,289 Posts

With no exhaust pipes running through the center tunnel, the interior definitely stays cooler. But like any car, on a hot sunny day it's going to get hot inside. That's why it has A/C.

The HTC comes with a built-in Pizza warmer. With the top up, just raise the tonneau, place the pizza, and close the tonneau:

On smooth asphalt, the C8 seems almost as quiet as a tomb compared to my C7. On worn asphalt, or rain grooved concrete, the wide tires can cause a real racket. But that's what wide performance rubber does. If you want quiet, you can probably find some nice H rated tires with an 80,000 mile treadwear warranty. But you might have a hard time fitting them to the C8's rims.

Last edited by Red Mist Rulz; 10-21-2021 at 04:46 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by Red Mist Rulz:
Fast Dawg (10-22-2021), Grey (10-21-2021)
Old 10-22-2021, 03:26 PM
davelv
Racer

Received 187 Likes on 95 Posts

It isn't just wide tires but the tread pattern. I've had 18" H tires that on certain road sections are much louder. On tightly paved roads the C8 is very quiet even with summer tires.
Old 10-22-2021, 04:01 PM
Myfourth1
Le Mans Master

Received 2,242 Likes on 1,093 Posts

Originally Posted by JohnUSA1
My new 2022 C8 will be delivered first half of November.
Does the frunk or trunk need mats?
If needed I would like to order them before delivery.
Thanks.
I bought these.

And these for the interior.
Old 10-22-2021, 06:35 PM
rkjzhill
Navigator

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have had my coupe since January and now have 3k miles - mostly city but a little highway. Unfortunately there is a good bit of tire noise. Better than my f-type but a good bit louder than my 2020 ram limited diesel. I am at the track with my Radical frequently so iIlove the scream of engines but I am not crazy about the tire drone going to the grocery store. Roads are largely concrete in the DFW area which is a lot nosier than asphalt. You can have a conversation at 70mph in the car but you better speak up and not be hard of hearing. I am a little disappointed in the tire noise and hope the non-run flats help when they need changing.

love the car otherwise -
Old 10-22-2021, 07:19 PM
JerryU
E-Ray, 3LZ, ZER, LIFT
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 9,655 Likes on 6,652 Posts

^^^
Know it doesn't fit everyone but although very noisy my C7 Z51 and then C7 Grand Sport were zero problem, I do what I did with them in my C8. Sound system comes on as soon as i start the car. Seldom have passengers and it plays at fairly high volume. Love the 14 speakers!

I was using the free XM for the first year but now have the same thumb drive I used in the C7s with >1000 songs (have added some new ones as well.) Have those in one file and it's set to play in shuffle mode so don't know what plays next. Unlike XM there are no back sides of hits etc. Now for safety reasons I have my iPhone set not to receive calls or text message beeps when moving. I don't use hands free either. Need to keep my 60 year record of never having an accident with another car. Plenty of time to answer foolish text messages when I stop and out of the Vette!

Last edited by JerryU; 10-22-2021 at 07:21 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To Cockpit Noise Level

Old 11-15-2021, 02:57 PM
xraytom1
Intermediate

Received 18 Likes on 6 Posts

I am very noise sensitive and I installed the double extreme heat and noise kit on my C7. It reduced the noise level 10 decibels, which is a lot. I could even hear the radio without having the volume turned up high. I was concerned about noise when I purchased my C8. A friend of mine took me for a ride in my C7 with a decibel meter and then repeated the drive in his new C8. Much to my surprise, the C8, which was a HTC, was almost the same as my C7, even 1 decibel less. I made my decision to prurhase my C8. Got it 2 weeks ago and love it and it is quiet.
The following 2 users liked this post by xraytom1:
CorvetteSparky (11-16-2021), JerryU (11-15-2021)
Old 11-15-2021, 05:45 PM
rkjzhill
Navigator

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

That is very interesting. The c8 is quieter than your c7 that had noise dampening material installed. maybe i am just getting old or maybe it is my see-thru top that is vey thin and tinny. It cant be cupped tires - this has been since day one. too bad the factory top replacement is so expensive and i am not sure it will make a difference. thx for the info - i need to ride in a c8 with the standard top.
Old 11-15-2021, 06:50 PM
JerryU
E-Ray, 3LZ, ZER, LIFT
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 9,655 Likes on 6,652 Posts

^^^
Perhaps the roof is the issue. My C8 coupe is significantly quitter than my 2017 C7 Grand Sport. The Grand Sport was a bit nosier than my 2014 Z51. Proof! My wife has better hearing than myself. She hated to ride in the two C7's. In fact she has ridden much more in the C8 in a year than the two C7's in 7 years. She has commented on how quite it is.

Now I had no issue as I played the sound system loud in both C7s when I was driving by myself- which is 95% of the time. That drowned out road and tire noise. I have my iPhone set to not receive calls when moving and don't use my cell phone to call out! Plenty of time to answer useless text messages when I stop! I have a thumb drive with over 1000 songs that play in shuffle mode as soon as I start the car. It's a sports car like all my 6 Vettes bought for performance not listening to quality music with quite passages! In fact the only times it's off is when someone is in the passenger seat. Have no issue with conversations those few times!

Quick Reply: Cockpit Noise Level