Notices
C8 General Discussion The place to discuss the next generation of Corvette.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Gas question

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-2021, 01:17 PM
58-66NB
Instructor

Received 25 Likes on 13 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14, '20

Default Gas question

I am having trouble finding top-tier gas stations with premium in my area, they all seem to be out and no idea when more is coming.

In case, I can't get top-tier-premium, is it better to get top-tier-89-octane with additives or non-top-tier-premium?

I guess I can always get a detergent additive as well for non-top-tier-fuel.

What do you suggest? Thanks
Old 10-17-2021, 01:20 PM
Phil1098
Race Director

Received 11,607 Likes on 4,638 Posts

I would for sure use non top tier premium over 89.
The following 2 users liked this post by Phil1098:
Art17 (10-17-2021), NextOne (10-17-2021)
Old 10-17-2021, 01:22 PM
RKCRLR
Le Mans Master

Received 6,199 Likes on 3,401 Posts

Non-Top Tier Premium and then use Top Tier Premium when it is available again. If it is going to be several tanks on non-Top Tier then put some Techron in.
The following 3 users liked this post by RKCRLR:
Art17 (10-17-2021), Phil1098 (10-17-2021), Zormecteon (10-17-2021)
Old 10-17-2021, 01:23 PM
wysokowski
Racer

Received 243 Likes on 94 Posts

Octane first
Old 10-17-2021, 01:53 PM
proeagles
Melting Slicks

Received 2,163 Likes on 899 Posts

Just try to use 91 and above and don't lose sleep over it.
The following users liked this post:
jfw949 (10-18-2021)
Old 10-17-2021, 02:00 PM
JerryU
E-Ray, 3LZ, ZER, LIFT
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 9,647 Likes on 6,646 Posts

Originally Posted by 58-66NB
I am having trouble finding top-tier gas stations with premium in my area, they all seem to be out and no idea when more is coming.

In case, I can't get top-tier-premium, is it better to get top-tier-89-octane with additives or non-top-tier-premium?

I guess I can always get a detergent additive as well for non-top-tier-fuel.

What do you suggest? Thanks
No way! Octane is key. If you are worried about it do what I do and add a bottle of Techron about every 4th fill! That is essentially what it says in the Owner's Manual only more often than it suggests! Quoting:

"TOP TIER Detergent Gasoline is highly recommended for use with your vehicle. If your country does not have TOP TIER Detergent Gasoline, add AC Delco Fuel System Treatment Plus−Gasoline to the vehicle’s gasoline fuel tank at every oil change or 15 000 km (9,000 mi), whichever occurs first."

Top Tier was more important with port injection to help keep PCV crankcase "stuff" from causing carbon deposits on the back of the intake valves (called coking.) Now with direct injection gasoline does not help as it does NOT go over the intake valve backs. Techron was Chevron's gasoline additive and no doubt still is in their additive gas to make Top Tier. When their patents were still effective other gas companies used it, now most have their own "cleaning additives." It does help keep the injectors and some help in keeping the combustion chambers clean.

The AC Delco Fuel System Treatment (last I looked) had the same SDS (Safety Date Sheet) chemicals as Techron. Since AC Delco just buys the stuff and has their name put on for a premium price, it could be the same! I buy mine at Walmart for <$5/bottle. One bottle per tankful.

Octane is critical, Top Tier nice to have and if not, as I say, a bottle of Techron every ~4th fill, don't wait 9000 miles!

Last edited by JerryU; 10-17-2021 at 02:10 PM.
Old 10-17-2021, 02:00 PM
JohnUSA1
Pro

Received 309 Likes on 148 Posts

I expect many negative responses here from what I am going to divulge here so understand that I am only the messenger.
A friend, who owns a new Porsche which requires high octane (premium) gasoline, uses only regular gasoline in his Porsche and he has been doing this for many years on all his cars which all have required high octane (premium) gasoline.
He swears that all his cars have run properly without any issues and the only thing he has noticed is very, very slight less power which he says is very negligible and hardly noticeable.
He says that today's very advanced sensors in the car automatically adjust to the lower octane and this will never do any harm or any damage to the engine.
I can see why he has been doing this surprising action as he is saving at least 60 cents/gallon if not more, cost between regular and premium.
I remember when the difference used to be only 15-20 cents. How life has changed.
I expect to hear that he is penny wise and pound foolish,
Has anyone ever tried to use regular gas in their Corvette (which has always required the highest rated premium gas) ? How has your experience been by doing this?
Will using regular gas really do any damage to the engine besides having slightly less power?
Thank you.
Old 10-17-2021, 02:03 PM
SingleTrackMinded
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,359 Likes on 903 Posts

Sorry, not trying to offend. I think I'll stick the the Corvette Engineers over "A friend of mine swears...."
The following 3 users liked this post by SingleTrackMinded:
c_r_h (10-18-2021), madrob2020 (10-17-2021), Zormecteon (10-17-2021)
Old 10-17-2021, 02:15 PM
RKCRLR
Le Mans Master

Received 6,199 Likes on 3,401 Posts

Originally Posted by JohnUSA1
I expect many negative responses here from what I am going to divulge here so understand that I am only the messenger.
A friend, who owns a new Porsche which requires high octane (premium) gasoline, uses only regular gasoline in his Porsche and he has been doing this for many years on all his cars which all have required high octane (premium) gasoline.
He swears that all his cars have run properly without any issues and the only thing he has noticed is very, very slight less power which he says is very negligible and hardly noticeable.
He says that today's very advanced sensors in the car automatically adjust to the lower octane and this will never do any harm or any damage to the engine.
I can see why he has been doing this surprising action as he is saving at least 60 cents/gallon if not more, cost between regular and premium.
I remember when the difference used to be only 15-20 cents. How life has changed.
Has anyone ever tried to use regular gas in their Corvette (which has always required the highest rated premium gas) ? How has your experience been by doing this?
Will using regular gas really do any damage to the engine besides having slightly less power?
Thank you.
91 minimum octane for the Corvette, although you may get by with less at altitude. But running less than 91 could cause damage that wouldn't be covered under warranty.
Old 10-17-2021, 02:38 PM
Zymurgy

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 15,107 Likes on 6,185 Posts

2020 Owners Manual:
Use premium unleaded gasoline
meeting ASTM specification D4814
with a posted octane rating of 93
(R+M)/2. If unavailable, unleaded
gasoline with a posted octane rating
of 91 may be used, but with reduced
performance and fuel economy.
If the octane is less than 91, the
engine could be damaged and the
repairs would not be covered by the
vehicle warranty.
If heavy knocking
is heard when using gasoline rated
at 93 octane, the engine needs
service.
2021 Owners Manual:
Use premium unleaded gasoline
meeting ASTM specification D4814
with a posted octane rating of 93
(R+M)/2. If unavailable, unleaded
gasoline with a posted octane rating
of 91 may be used, but with reduced
performance and fuel economy.
If the octane is less than 91, the
engine could be damaged and the
repairs would not be covered by the
vehicle warranty.
If heavy knocking
is heard when using gasoline rated
at 93 octane, the engine needs
service.
2022 Owners Manual:
​​​​​​​Premium unleaded gasoline meeting ASTM
specification D4814 with a posted octane
rating (R+M)/2 of 91 or greater is required.
The use of the correct fuel is an important
part of the proper maintenance of the
vehicle and a condition of the vehicle
warranty. If heavy knocking is heard when
using gasoline rated at 91 or greater, the
engine needs service.
Rafa7 (10-18-2021)
Old 10-17-2021, 02:55 PM
Phil1098
Race Director

I expect many negative realistic responses here from what I am going to divulge

Are you willing to throw those dice to save $10 on a tank of gas?

Last edited by Phil1098; 10-17-2021 at 02:57 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by Phil1098:
Fast Dawg (10-18-2021), ZZ06 (10-19-2021)
Old 10-17-2021, 02:59 PM
Jim Shearer
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 90 Likes on 53 Posts

I would get non-TopTier gas and add Chevron Techron.
Zormecteon (10-17-2021)
Old 10-17-2021, 03:02 PM
JerryU
E-Ray, 3LZ, ZER, LIFT
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 9,647 Likes on 6,646 Posts

Thank you.
Originally Posted by SingleTrackMinded
Sorry, not trying to offend. I think I'll stick the the Corvette Engineers over "A friend of mine swears...."
the 2014 LT1 even said: Use premium unleaded gasoline with a posted octane rating of 91 or higher. If the octane is less than 91, you could damage the engine and may void your vehicle warranty. If heavy knocking is heard when using gasoline rated at 91 octane or higher, the engine needs service.

Now they have pushed that 6.2 Liter engine even further and as Zymurgy showed it will detune even with 91 octane. Can only get the MAP to richen mixture and pull out timing just so much! A word I seldom use: STUPID to use less than the highest octane in your area. In my case it's 93, understand in places like CA it's 91. If you can't get that park the car!

Possible whatever Porsche his friend had there was room for lower octane tuning in the air/fuel/timing MAP.

Last edited by JerryU; 10-17-2021 at 03:19 PM.
Old 10-17-2021, 03:28 PM
EasyElliott
Pro

Received 268 Likes on 130 Posts

One time when driving my C-7 on a long trip, I was almost empty and only regular 87 octane was available. I put 10 gallons in and drove easy. Anytime I had to go up a slight hill, the car would start to knock. I downshifted to ease the load on the engine. I ran the tank almost empty before I filled up with 93 octane. But it took a second tank before the performance returned to normal.
The point is I can see how easy it would be to damage the engine.
The following 2 users liked this post by EasyElliott:
JerryU (10-17-2021), Phil1098 (10-17-2021)
Old 10-17-2021, 04:05 PM
JohnUSA1
Pro

Received 309 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally Posted by EasyElliott
One time when driving my C-7 on a long trip, I was almost empty and only regular 87 octane was available. I put 10 gallons in and drove easy. Anytime I had to go up a slight hill, the car would start to knock. I downshifted to ease the load on the engine. I ran the tank almost empty before I filled up with 93 octane. But it took a second tank before the performance returned to normal.
The point is I can see how easy it would be to damage the engine.
Thanks for sharing your experience.
It looks clear that it is best to use the highest rated octane gasoline that is available in your area as the Corvette engine is only hungry for high octane.
Looks like Porsche's sensors are different and are capable of adjusting in handling lower octane, something that Corvette's sensors are incapable or not designed for.
The highest octane in my state of Colorado is 91, like California. I would have liked to experience driving with 93 octane, if and when that opportunity becomes available.
I will will continue using premium gas when my 2022 C8 gets delivered as I have no intention in damaging its engine.
I have always used premium in my previous 2016 C7 and will always keep using premium in my new C8.

Last edited by JohnUSA1; 10-17-2021 at 04:46 PM.
Old 10-17-2021, 04:28 PM
wysokowski
Racer

Received 243 Likes on 94 Posts

I always say there are certain things I do not try to save money on, like ammunition, condoms, and lawyers.
Buying high performance vehicles then using the wrong gas to save a few dollars is really not smart, to say it in nice way. Its epically stupid.
Old 10-17-2021, 05:29 PM
EasyElliott
Pro

It looks clear that it is best to use the highest rated octane gasoline that is available in your area as the Corvette engine is only hungry for high octane.
Looks like Porsche's sensors are different and are capable of adjusting in handling lower octane, something that Corvette's sensors are incapable or not designed for.
The highest octane in my state of Colorado is 91, like California. I would have liked to experience driving with 93 octane, if and when that opportunity becomes available.
I will will continue using premium gas when my 2022 C8 gets delivered as I have no intention in damaging its engine.
I have always used premium in my previous 2016 C7 and will always keep using premium in my new C8.
I live in Colorado Springs and drove my car home from Michigan. When I hit 500 miles I got on the car once at about 1,000 feet with 93 octane. The car here at 6,500 feet is a different animal on 91 octane, because of the altitude. My wife’s BMW M340i X-Drive feels about the same from 20-70 mph. But it is turbocharged and the C-8 is not. To best described it, my C-8 at 6,500 feet feels a little slower than my C-7 Z-51 at sea level. But off the line the C-8 would smoke my last Z-51 C-7. As far as every other aspect the C-8 is the best car I have ever owned.

Get notified of new replies

To Gas question

Old 10-17-2021, 05:52 PM
Zymurgy

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 15,107 Likes on 6,185 Posts

Nonsense. The "sensors" are knock sensors. They detect detonation (knock} and the system makes adjustments to help eliminate it. The problem is the detonation has to occur before the system can adjust. Detonation is bad. Just because your friend is doing this in his Porsche doesn't mean it is advisable nor free of potential damage. Altitude helps offset octane requirements.
ZZ06 (10-19-2021)
Old 10-17-2021, 06:10 PM
EasyElliott
Pro

Originally Posted by Zymurgy
Nonsense. The "sensors" are knock sensors. They detect detonation (knock} and the system makes adjustments to help eliminate it. The problem is the detonation has to occur before the system can adjust. Detonation is bad. Just because your friend is doing this in his Porsche doesn't mean it is advisable nor free of potential damage. Altitude helps offset octane requirements.
Knock sensors can only retard timing so much. If you are on too low an octane the car will knock . if you push beyond the sensors capability it will knock and damage can occur.
Old 10-17-2021, 06:18 PM
Phil1098
Race Director

An LT2 has 11.5:1 compression ratio, only so much pulling of timing to deal with that.

Last edited by Phil1098; 10-17-2021 at 06:19 PM.
JerryU (10-17-2021)

Quick Reply: Gas question