Notices
C8 General Discussion The place to discuss the next generation of Corvette.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Hit and run

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-2021, 03:14 PM
bimmerborn
Melting Slicks

Received 198 Likes on 120 Posts

Folks, thank you for all the feedback. Exactly what I needed, and I appreciate it.
The at fault party stepped in today. They apologized and accepted all liability. All the bitterness of the accident disappeared. Now it is a matter of fixing the car.
- I have a shop that I know they can get it right. Scheduled a quotation visit. I won't pay a penny for repairs. Just the tip.
- I will check the park lock assembly when changing the filter and topping off the DCT fluid shortly. I will check front alignment.

I will send an update after repairs are done. Everything is under control.
The following 4 users liked this post by bimmerborn:
AORoads (10-13-2021), Fast Dawg (10-13-2021), Greg00Coupe (10-12-2021), thebroz1138 (10-12-2021)
Old 10-12-2021, 03:17 PM
KGrant
Melting Slicks

Received 1,195 Likes on 663 Posts
C7 of the Year - Unmodified Finalist 2021

I think in the heat of the moment we generally will say WTF who would do something like this and that there will be a price to pay even if it is a coworker. I think that you appear to be a reasonable and calm type person and if I were in your shoes how I respond if it was a coworker depends on how that person responded based on the facts presented but let me be clear that there is NO EXCUSE for leaving a crime scene and not reporting it immediately to the security or parking lot attendant.

If the person admit fault and express that they handled it wrong and owns and sincerely accept responsibility and show remorse and offer to pay copays, deductibles etc. then I would give them a pass but not without a professional tongue lashing as I am sure they already feel embarrassed and awful. There are actually really good people out there that in any moment in time we all can make a bad decision so I would want that if I found myself in such a bad situation that someone would have a little mercy and empathy towards me and not lose a good job that I really need to care for my family for one stupid act in one point in time as that persons family become collateral damage for his stupidity.

If they don't own or admit guilt then its nothing more to talk about and whatever happens than that is on that person.

Originally Posted by Hopper12
Hey bimmerborn, really sorry this happened. I hope you can find a good camera vid from the parking lot. If you can find who did it, please do not let them off the hook. There are far too many people who believe they can just get away with stuff - no integrity. It sounds like you will handle whatever you do professionally and with a great attitude, so you can help them learn a lesson. Hitting your car that hard they knew they did it, and that they did damage. What is their integrity worth? Help them with that. Hope it all turns out well, Paul
Originally Posted by AORoads
I agree w. the posters who say you obviously have a good plan for getting the car right, and am glad you are ok. But, I also agree w. hopper above. This is a teach-able moment. Someone who hit your car that hard has got to take responsibility, and your letting them go simply because they're a co-worker is nice, but not kind---to them.

That said, I suspect Zymurgy is correct--there is a pawl in the trans---and if there is it could have been broken off by the forces upon it from the crash. Who knows then what your repair costs could be especially since the car was moved after the accident---an assumption that it was? I hope it all turns out well for you.

Last edited by KGrant; 10-13-2021 at 01:52 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by KGrant:
AORoads (10-13-2021), bimmerborn (10-12-2021)
Old 10-12-2021, 03:25 PM
spinkick
Melting Slicks

Received 544 Likes on 324 Posts

if a coworker didnt stop to fess up and work with you, they deserve all thats coming to them financially.
The following users liked this post:
bimmerborn (10-12-2021)
Old 10-12-2021, 03:27 PM
spinkick
Melting Slicks

Received 544 Likes on 324 Posts

Originally Posted by bimmerborn
Folks, thank you for all the feedback. Exactly what I needed, and I appreciate it.
The at fault party stepped in today. They apologized and accepted all liability. All the bitterness of the accident disappeared. Now it is a matter of fixing the car.
- I have a shop that I know they can get it right. Scheduled a quotation visit. I won't pay a penny for repairs. Just the tip.
- I will check the park lock assembly when changing the filter and topping off the DCT fluid shortly. I will check front alignment.

How did they step in? Did you fine proof on camera and contact them?
bimmerborn (10-12-2021)
Old 10-12-2021, 03:41 PM
bimmerborn
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by spinkick
How did they step in? Did you fine proof on camera and contact them?
They wanted to meet face to face in person, and in privacy. Good people.

Edit 1: At the time of accident, they did not know what car -and- whose car is under the car cover. There are always some nicer cars in our parking lot. We are closer to the bay, so some of us cover our cars. They did go to the security before me. But at the time security did not know. When they found out the car belongs to me, they immediately contacted me.
Just an unintentional accident. No personal injury. One slightly damaged car which is very fixable.

Last edited by bimmerborn; 10-12-2021 at 09:01 PM. Reason: Adding to my reply
The following 3 users liked this post by bimmerborn:
Fast Dawg (10-13-2021), RHP (10-13-2021), spinkick (10-13-2021)
Old 10-12-2021, 07:25 PM
theclutch
Racer

Received 163 Likes on 107 Posts

They wanted to meet face to face in person, and in privacy. Good people.
Did you have to find them or did they find you? Give us some details! I believe that was the question spinkick meant to ask.
The following 2 users liked this post by theclutch:
bimmerborn (10-12-2021), spinkick (10-13-2021)
Old 10-13-2021, 06:40 AM
AORoads
Team Owner

Received 2,488 Likes on 1,950 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15
"In honor of jpee"

Originally Posted by KGrant
I think in the heat of the moment we generally will say WTF who would do something like this and that there will be a price to pay even if it is a coworker. I think that you appear to be a reasonable and calm type person and if I were in your shoes how I respond if it was a coworker depends on how that person responded based on the facts presented but let me be clear that there is NO EXCUSE for leaving a crime scene and not reporting it immediately to the security or parking lot attendant.

If the person admit fault and express that they handled it wrong and owns and sincerely accept responsibility and show remorse and offer to pay copays, deductibles etc. then I would give them a pass but not without a professional tongue lashing as I am sure they already feel embarrassed and awful. There are actually really good people out there that in any moment in time we all can make a bad decision so I would want if I found myself in such a bad situation that someone would have a little empathy towards me and not lose a good job that I really need to care for my family for one stupid act in one point in time.

If they don't own or admit guilt then its nothing more to talk about and whatever happens than that is on that person.
And I can see and at least mostly agree with your post, especially the second paragraph. That takes both brains, and heart. Thank you.
The following 2 users liked this post by AORoads:
bimmerborn (10-13-2021), KGrant (10-13-2021)
Old 10-13-2021, 08:35 AM
Phil1098
Race Director

Received 11,703 Likes on 4,677 Posts

I suspect your car will be fine. If you do indeed have a good shop that can paint, it will be a non issue. There is no reason in the world for the front end to be out of alignment. The parking pawl will either work or it won't. Glad the person that did the damage owned it.
bimmerborn (10-13-2021)
Old 10-13-2021, 10:08 AM
cv67
Team Owner

Received 3,043 Likes on 2,602 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05

Get a handicapped plaquard, no more door dings. Worst case random shopping cart gets ya
bimmerborn (10-13-2021)
Old 10-13-2021, 11:51 AM
Shokosugi
Drifting

Received 1,872 Likes on 783 Posts

Originally Posted by cv67
Get a handicapped plaquard, no more door dings. Worst case random shopping cart gets ya
Did he mention being handicapped or are you suggesting he should be a total douchebag?
The following 3 users liked this post by Shokosugi:
bimmerborn (10-13-2021), Fast Dawg (10-14-2021), USMC 0802 (10-13-2021)
Old 10-13-2021, 03:18 PM
theclutch
Racer

Received 163 Likes on 107 Posts

We're still all wondering... did you find them or did they find you? You can't be starting a thread like this and then leaving out the details/punchline to the story...
bimmerborn (10-13-2021)
Old 10-13-2021, 04:40 PM
bimmerborn
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by theclutch
We're still all wondering... did you find them or did they find you? You can't be starting a thread like this and then leaving out the details/punchline to the story...
They came and found me. Pardon me. I thought I answered that question on post #25. My bad.
The 4 day delay, hence the "Hit and run" title of this thread, was caused by security crew. The responsible party went to security day one. But security didn't know at the time, and informed them on day 4. So they came and found me on day 4. Naturally I had hard time waiting, and so on day 3 I posted hit and run thread. Blame is on me. I did try to edit the title.

Regardless, the progress is on the way. Repairs are not that bad. Formal quotation is in for $3,2xx. Pre-alignment measurement is OK too. I will post again when more progress is done.

Last edited by bimmerborn; 10-13-2021 at 04:49 PM. Reason: #21 changed to #25
Fast Dawg (10-14-2021)

Quick Reply: Hit and run