Notices
C8 General Discussion The place to discuss the next generation of Corvette.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Dealer's "License and Fees"

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-2021, 07:22 PM
PortlandxC7
Racer

Received 86 Likes on 42 Posts
Default Dealer's "License and Fees"

Hey guys, wanted to ask people with knowledge about these fees as I don't have any. So my car from a very reputable dealer arrived at MSRP, and according to the extra charges that included the dealer doc fee which I had already known about before the ordering process, there was a "License and Fees" charge that was for $549. So in my state.. it costs $250 to register the vehicle and get regular tags, and $549 to get a special plate. When I asked the dealer about it they said "This fee is for the titling paperwork only and you will receive a letter stating that you can go to your local office to get your tags. Any fees due at that time for your tags you are required to pay." So that means this fee doesn't even include tags..
The extra fees also included a "State and Local Taxs Fee" for $383... even though my state has $0 sales tax.. So I couldn't help but think that these fees might have been pushed or increased because they had to remove the taxes that were about $4000 ish ?

Can someone offer any input about this?

Thank you.
Old 10-07-2021, 07:45 PM
Andybump
Le Mans Master

Received 3,907 Likes on 2,311 Posts

In Maryland, at Criswell, I paid a "fee" that they told me about up front (a so called documentation fee but we all know what that is). And I paid the taxes for the state to the dealer. I also paid a reasonable fee for the title/tag paperwork - dont recall what it was, but I think it was close to what it costs at the DMV. I think it included the temporary tag I got. My permanent tag was sent to the dealer a couple days later, and I picked it up - no additional cost. They would have installed it but I did not want them to, because I had my own plate mounting stuff. I bought it from a Maryland dealer and titled it in Maryland.
Old 10-08-2021, 11:13 AM
BADBIRDCAGE
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,984 Likes on 1,062 Posts

To my knowledge Florida is “unique” on dealer fees. State law allows them to charge “document fees” and they do. Cost of doing business to the car buyer. DMV fees performed by dealership is separate and, although more than it actually costs if you were to do it yourself, not outrageous. (Unless you consider that they do it online)

Left the dealership with registration in hand and permanent license plate on the car. Went to DMV the next week to change plate as nobody I know wants a “PYUB” plate on their car. At least we didn’t. (Someone at DMV had fun suggesting that alphabetic)

All State taxes and DMV fees collected by dealership. Nothing extra to do personally with DMV.

Old 10-08-2021, 01:09 PM
Fast Dawg
Le Mans Master

Received 2,558 Likes on 1,629 Posts

Georgia:
State Title Ad Valorem tax plus fees: $5,668.79
Dealer fees: $858.00

Not to be rude, but it would help to know what state you are in so someone can accurately answer your question. I would ***ume Oregon with your screen name.....or Maine, etc......

Last edited by Fast Dawg; 10-08-2021 at 01:09 PM.
Old 10-08-2021, 01:22 PM
pmayo
Pro

Received 157 Likes on 92 Posts

Yes it cost 250 to register the vehicle including the tag. But you are forgetting about the Title fee in OR which adds additional $$

At least in OR they limit the Doc fees -- no such limit in Florida.

Last edited by pmayo; 10-08-2021 at 01:24 PM.
Old 10-08-2021, 01:28 PM
saleen556
Le Mans Master

Received 2,203 Likes on 1,194 Posts

Originally Posted by PortlandxC7
Hey guys, wanted to ask people with knowledge about these fees as I don't have any. So my car from a very reputable dealer arrived at MSRP, and according to the extra charges that included the dealer doc fee which I had already known about before the ordering process, there was a "License and Fees" charge that was for $549. So in my state.. it costs $250 to register the vehicle and get regular tags, and $549 to get a special plate. When I asked the dealer about it they said "This fee is for the titling paperwork only and you will receive a letter stating that you can go to your local office to get your tags. Any fees due at that time for your tags you are required to pay." So that means this fee doesn't even include tags..
The extra fees also included a "State and Local Taxs Fee" for $383... even though my state has $0 sales tax.. So I couldn't help but think that these fees might have been pushed or increased because they had to remove the taxes that were about $4000 ish ?

Thank you.
If you are in Oregon you are correct we don’t have a sales tax. However a few years ago they passed a tax on vehicles of 1/2 of 1 percent. They even penalized me last year an extra $100 for not paying it on time as we couldn’t find out the process due to the Covid BS.
Old 10-08-2021, 02:20 PM
PortlandxC7
Racer

Originally Posted by Andybump
In Maryland, at Criswell, I paid a "fee" that they told me about up front (a so called documentation fee but we all know what that is). And I paid the taxes for the state to the dealer. I also paid a reasonable fee for the title/tag paperwork - dont recall what it was, but I think it was close to what it costs at the DMV. I think it included the temporary tag I got. My permanent tag was sent to the dealer a couple days later, and I picked it up - no additional cost. They would have installed it but I did not want them to, because I had my own plate mounting stuff. I bought it from a Maryland dealer and titled it in Maryland.
Thanks for the info. I suggested that either they get my perm tags from dmv or they allow dmv to mail it to my house as it is a hassle to pay that fee then have to go to dmv myself again to get tags.. ( Specially given I'm currently in another state temporarily for work)

Originally Posted by Fast Dawg
Georgia:
State Title Ad Valorem tax plus fees: $5,668.79
Dealer fees: $858.00

Not to be rude, but it would help to know what state you are in so someone can accurately answer your question. I would ***ume Oregon with your screen name.....or Maine, etc......
Correct I'm in OR

Originally Posted by pmayo
Yes it cost 250 to register the vehicle including the tag. But you are forgetting about the Title fee in OR which adds additional $$

At least in OR they limit the Doc fees -- no such limit in Florida.
True but how much do these costs, I'm assuming adding another $100 to the $250 at most?

Originally Posted by saleen556
If you are in Oregon you are correct we don’t have a sales tax. However a few years ago they passed a tax on vehicles of 1/2 of 1 percent. They even penalized me last year an extra $100 for not paying it on time as we couldn’t find out the process due to the Covid BS.
Interesting, I have never heard of this. So now they tax new cars 0.5-1%? what does this depend on. I do remember that when i had my c7.. I had to take it to DEQ, but now they said that I do not need to do that and can do everything online.
Old 10-08-2021, 02:53 PM
Skid Row Joe
Team Owner

Received 4,038 Likes on 2,909 Posts

Thank you.
Hmmmm....

Have you asked your dealer to break it down and itemize it for you yet? They're equipped to explain all the fees, etc.
Old 10-08-2021, 02:59 PM
manecda
Racer

Received 163 Likes on 55 Posts

Bought car from MacMulkin and did museum delivery. No fees to MacMulkin. Went to GA DMV with certificate of origin,/Bill of sales. Paid Ad Valorem (6.6% of sales price) tag ($20), Title ($18).
Old 10-08-2021, 03:01 PM
sstonebreaker
Le Mans Master

Received 577 Likes on 366 Posts

It's just a way for the dealership to jerk you out of more money.
Amazon Amazon

Old 10-08-2021, 04:32 PM
PortlandxC7
Racer

What I did not like is I even remembered after wiring the money that in addition to those charges I initially mentioned.. they didn't even deduct my deposit from the total amount. I always like to give the benefit of the doubt as we are humans and we tend to make mistakes, but I have been emailing with their finance guy over 50 emails already about the price, he should have caught that given the million chances he had..
Old 10-08-2021, 06:03 PM
JALLEN4
Melting Slicks

Received 2,192 Likes on 1,017 Posts

What I did not like is I even remembered after wiring the money that in addition to those charges I initially mentioned.. they didn't even deduct my deposit from the total amount. I always like to give the benefit of the doubt as we are humans and we tend to make mistakes, but I have been emailing with their finance guy over 50 emails already about the price, he should have caught that given the million chances he had..
You are absolutely right. Your deal is most likely the only thing he has to do. Over those fifty emails did you mention the deposit to him?
Old 10-08-2021, 06:11 PM
PortlandxC7
Racer

Originally Posted by JALLEN4
You are absolutely right. Your deal is most likely the only thing he has to do. Over those fifty emails did you mention the deposit to him?
Your sarcasm would have worked much better if you had asked the question first then decide to be sarcastic later, because yes I did mention it about a dozen times in those fifty email. And now your comment makes you look...... well you get the point.
Thanks for nothing
Old 10-08-2021, 06:21 PM
JALLEN4
Melting Slicks

Received 2,192 Likes on 1,017 Posts

Your sarcasm would have worked much better if you had asked the question first then decide to be sarcastic later, because yes I did mention it about a dozen times in those fifty email. And now your comment makes you look...... well you get the point.
Thanks for nothing
No I don't get the point! I do understand you are working hard to defame the dealer and insinuate he is trying to "steal" your deposit. I can only imagine as well tuned as you are you certainly still have a receipt for your deposit?
Old 10-08-2021, 06:46 PM
PortlandxC7
Racer

Originally Posted by JALLEN4
No I don't get the point! I do understand you are working hard to defame the dealer and insinuate he is trying to "steal" your deposit. I can only imagine as well tuned as you are you certainly still have a receipt for your deposit?
Dude, why are you on here, I clearly posted on here to ask people who have knowledge in something I don't ...to advise me with no info about the dealer at all, stop talking bs and acting like I'm bashing your family's dealership.. I have nothing to prove to you, you are on my post. Go annoy someone else with your horrible sarcasm.
Old 10-08-2021, 09:51 PM
*89x2*
Team Owner

Received 2,117 Likes on 1,080 Posts

When I brought this topic up in the past, several on this site seemed to embrace “dealer fees”. Now, educated buyers know and understand, this charge is not taxes/tags/plates. It’s simply a profit to the dealer for walking a deal folder to the next office for completion. It’s a charge.

Last edited by *89x2*; 10-09-2021 at 06:11 AM.
Old 10-08-2021, 11:08 PM
Atlantan
Drifting

Received 1,288 Likes on 634 Posts

Thank you.
Ordered from the same dealer, below is a screen shot of my buyers order.

1. $799: I was aware of this dealer fee.
2. TAVT is the sales tax I paid.
3. I paid $80.00 for Tag, Title and Registration Fee.

I did not have to pay any other fees. Hope the screen shot helps. Enjoy your weekend.

Last edited by Atlantan; 10-09-2021 at 09:31 PM.
Old 10-09-2021, 12:01 AM
Avanti
Race Director

Received 5,272 Likes on 3,497 Posts

When I bought out of state I paid all upfront to the dealer than had the option upon delivery (which I took) to do all the paperwork myself instate upon return home. Hence, the dealership gave me a check for what I'd paid them.

Get notified of new replies

To Dealer's "License and Fees"

Quick Reply: Dealer's "License and Fees"