Notices
C8 General Discussion The place to discuss the next generation of Corvette.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

C8 Tire Pressure Monitoring Reset

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-2021, 09:57 PM
Marcho Polo
Le Mans Master

Received 1,622 Likes on 739 Posts
2024 Corvette of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2023 C8 of the Year Winner - Unmodified
2020 Corvette of the Year Finalist (stock)
2019 C7 of Year Winner (stock)
Former Moderator
Cruise-In I-II-III Veteran

Originally Posted by DEC8
Thanks for the part # info Marcho. I hear you about it possibly not working unless from GM but the Tire Shop said they've done 3 other C8 sets of tires before me using the same Huf TPMS and all 3 of those worked just fine. Didn't have time to mess with it any further today but hopefully will tomorrow.
I think I would just go back to the tire shop and make them figure it out. They may need to replace them? Keep us posted!
Old 10-14-2021, 10:38 PM
DEC8
Racer

Received 388 Likes on 159 Posts

10/14 Update - Resolution! Turns out that while the Huf (BHS) sensor is OEM it only works for generations prior to the C8. Discount Tire swapped the sensors to Schrader sensors, linked those sensors to the car, scanned them and all good to go now as the IPC error message and light have disappeared.

For those who go through the scan process, don't be surprised that after initiating the Tire Pressure relearn process via the IPC the horn will beep twice after the relearn process is activated, then beep once after each tire is scanned and then beep twice after the 4th tire which will indicate the process has completed.

Attached below are a couple of pics for future reference. The first pic shows the backside of the Schrader sensor while the second pic shows the BHS sensor on the right.

Here's the crazy thing … even though the IPC wasn't reading the BHS sensors the My Chevy app was. From what I've gathered the My Chevy App gets its info through OnStar via certain processors in the car. The IPC gets it info from a different set of processors. Will have to circle back to that at some point as it sounds crazy to me but for now I'm just glad the error message and light issue has been resolved.

Also, correction to a previous post of mine regarding what Discount Tire said about the 3 previous C8's they put BHS sensors in … they confirmed it was actually Schrader sensors that were used so now it all makes sense.

Last edited by DEC8; 10-14-2021 at 10:41 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by DEC8:
cor66vette (10-15-2021), Marcho Polo (10-15-2021)
Old 10-14-2021, 11:53 PM
wysokowski
Racer

Received 243 Likes on 94 Posts
Default oem

10/14 Update - Resolution! Turns out that while the Huf (BHS) sensor is OEM it only works for generations prior to the C8. Discount Tire swapped the sensors to Schrader sensors, linked those sensors to the car, scanned them and all good to go now as the IPC error message and light have disappeared.

For those who go through the scan process, don't be surprised that after initiating the Tire Pressure relearn process via the IPC the horn will beep twice after the relearn process is activated, then beep once after each tire is scanned and then beep twice after the 4th tire which will indicate the process has completed.

Attached below are a couple of pics for future reference. The first pic shows the backside of the Schrader sensor while the second pic shows the BHS sensor on the right.

Here's the crazy thing … even though the IPC wasn't reading the BHS sensors the My Chevy app was. From what I've gathered the My Chevy App gets its info through OnStar via certain processors in the car. The IPC gets it info from a different set of processors. Will have to circle back to that at some point as it sounds crazy to me but for now I'm just glad the error message and light issue has been resolved.

Also, correction to a previous post of mine regarding what Discount Tire said about the 3 previous C8's they put BHS sensors in … they confirmed it was actually Schrader sensors that were used so now it all makes sense.

Wonder why they don't use oem sensors, then you don't have to do anything. The oem sensors are cheap also.
The following users liked this post:
C8TurboBeaver (10-15-2021)
Old 10-15-2021, 04:30 PM
cor66vette
Le Mans Master

Received 1,308 Likes on 690 Posts
C3 of Year Finalist (stock) 2019
C2 of Year Finalist (stock) 2019

@DEC8 Thanks for posting the end result.
Zormecteon (10-15-2021)
Old 10-15-2021, 04:35 PM
Marcho Polo
Le Mans Master

Received 1,622 Likes on 739 Posts
2024 Corvette of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2023 C8 of the Year Winner - Unmodified
2020 Corvette of the Year Finalist (stock)
2019 C7 of Year Winner (stock)
Former Moderator
Cruise-In I-II-III Veteran

Glad to hear it's all worked out!!!!!

Old 01-05-2022, 02:48 PM
SIX50HP
Instructor

Received 125 Likes on 45 Posts

Good thread and good info but I think I got confused along the way somehow. So I just bought a 2022 (Private dealership) and I did not like the wheels on the car and negotiated that they swap the black five spoke wheels off another C8 they had in the showroom. They agreed and we took it to Discount and they just took them off one C8 and installed them on the other one. So I start driving and the TPMS appears to be working as it is showing a different tire pressure then the wheels that were on it originally.

Then all of a sudden I get the "Service TPMS" message. So I use the DIC and try resetting it while driving...does not work. So then I stop and try it with the car in park and the horn beeps once and it says TPMS relearning process initiated. So I drive off hoping it will reconnect and go drive for a while and nothing. I did not let the car sit at any time for 20 minutes or longer...However, it has been sitting in my garage since last night. So when I go to drive it next time do I need to do anything in the DIC or can I just go drive it for like 10 minutes and it should work???

Last edited by SIX50HP; 01-05-2022 at 03:39 PM.
Old 01-05-2022, 02:55 PM
Foosh
Team Owner

Received 16,669 Likes on 8,312 Posts

The system is designed for the compatible sensors to be picked up automatically, with no human assistance. If they are not after a short drive, then something else is going on.
Old 01-05-2022, 03:42 PM
SIX50HP
Instructor

Originally Posted by Foosh
The system is designed for the compatible sensors to be picked up automatically, with no human assistance. If they are not after a short drive, then something else is going on.
I hear you but nothing has changed other than wheels and factory TPMS just off another C8. Well maybe now that I let it sit it will work next time out???
Old 01-05-2022, 03:51 PM
Foosh
Team Owner

Yes, but that is a significant change. I can only speculate, but if somehow during the remounting a sensor got damaged, wasn't seated properly, etc., the change introduced a problem that wasn't there before.

I've been swapping wheel sets back and forth on my Corvettes, Porsche, MX-5 etc. with no TPMS read problems ever.

Last edited by Foosh; 01-05-2022 at 03:57 PM.
Old 01-05-2022, 03:56 PM
SIX50HP
Instructor

Yes, but that is a significant change. I can only speculate, but if somehow the OEM sensors didn't fit properly on the aftermarket wheels, or a sensor got damaged, etc., the change introduced a problem that wasn't there before.

I've been swapping wheel sets back and forth on my Corvettes, Porsche, MX-5 etc. with no TPMS read problems ever.
Huh? No aftermarket wheels involved. It was a set of stock wheels and stock TPMS from one C8 to another C8...TPMS was working on both cars before swap.

I agree it should have just worked but for some reason did not so now I just need to make sure I understand what to do to reset...
Old 01-05-2022, 03:59 PM
Foosh
Team Owner

Yes, I reread your first post and edited mine. I don't know, but obviously something changed as a result of the swap. There should be nothing you have to do to reset, and the fact they didn't read automatically indicates some sort of problem.

BluFRC (01-16-2022)
Old 04-15-2024, 07:41 PM
Gary0426
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Beware of the DENSO 550-2414 tpms wheel sensors for the C8.

Originally Posted by Al Engel
I just installed my all season Michelins on my 2020, Z51, HTC. I had bought a set of take-offs and had my local Mr. Goodwrench install the tires, new TPMS and road force balance the wheels. I put the all season tire/wheel sets on when the season temps approach the 40s and go back to summer tires when 50+ weather can be expected. I do the same ritual for my 2014, Z51, rag-top. The C7 seasonal tire / wheel swap picks up the new tire pressure sensors automatically within three miles of driving after making swap.... easy-peasy. The C8 is a little more complex. After mounting the new wheel / tire set, I drove over 5 miles in the C8 with the pressure readouts still reporting the tire pressures stored from the removed tires. Then, after about 5 miles, the tire pressures blanked out and the "service tire pressure system" warning light and message appeared. No amount of additional driving allowed the C8 to recognize the new TPMS sensors. I called the dealer who mounted the tires and TPMS sensors to ask what step I was missing. He informed me that I had to bring the car in and that they need to program the sensors to match the car. No! I can't believe my C7 can self learn new sensors and the C8 can't. So, I re-read the manual. After the car sends the 'Service Tire Pressure Monitor System" message, the C8 needs to be parked, motor off and sit for at ​​​​​least 20 minutes. Then, drive for about 5 miles and the car will then identify the new sensors at their proper locations and report pressure and temperature. No need to go to dealer for programing. I understand for less than $20 you can get a "tool" from Amazon to program GM TPMS systems without the need to drive, sit for 20 minutes and the drive again ritual. Handy I guess if you do a lot of tire swapping.... but for me, swapping summer only for all season tires twice a year, the drive - wait - drive method works for me.

Al Engel. "Save the Wave"
beware
Old 04-16-2024, 01:08 PM
mefly2
Drifting

Received 341 Likes on 202 Posts

Yes, but that is a significant change. I can only speculate, but if somehow during the remounting a sensor got damaged, wasn't seated properly, etc., the change introduced a problem that wasn't there before.

Problematic swap of tires - but kept same wheels - on our Toyota Four runner ... may have just been the Toyota tire tech (say that three times fast) did not know what he was doing because taking it to a large tire dealer solved the problem quickly. Chevrolet dealer where the tires were purchase could not cause the Toyota to relearn.
Old 04-16-2024, 01:37 PM
Gary0426
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default DENSO C8 tpms DON’T PURCHASE Them!

Originally Posted by Gary0426
beware
I had custom wheels made for my 2020 C8, and wanted to be proactive and purchase new tpms sensors all to be installed at once. I did a search and it brought me to Sumitt with the DENSO 550-2414 being an exact match. I made sure if the fitment and it stated it was for the 2020 thru 2024 C8’s.
I purchased 4 of them and went to my local Chevy dealership since they were the only one locally with the no touch or soft touch wheel machine. Lo and behold after everything was installed the service person informed me that they tried several times but the sensors would not read! I was furious that I spent all of this money for the sensors, and the installation and of course the dealership didn’t have any in stock for my vehicle.
I contacted both Sumitt and the manufacturers tech support. After countless emails to DENSO I finally get an email stating that they made the mistake in their fitment description with an APOLOGY ONLY! Furious again at their lackadaisical response I demanded a full refund but after two weeks I’ve yet to get a response.
sumitt on the other hand after emailing them offered to refund my money after I send them back.

This should have been a happy occasion getting my custom wheels only to turn out to be a nightmare because of DENSO so BEWARE!
Old 04-16-2024, 01:49 PM
CP
Team Owner

Received 1,126 Likes on 563 Posts

I just installed my all season Michelins on my 2020, Z51, HTC. I had bought a set of take-offs and had my local Mr. Goodwrench install the tires, new TPMS and road force balance the wheels. I put the all season tire/wheel sets on when the season temps approach the 40s and go back to summer tires when 50+ weather can be expected. I do the same ritual for my 2014, Z51, rag-top. The C7 seasonal tire / wheel swap picks up the new tire pressure sensors automatically within three miles of driving after making swap.... easy-peasy. The C8 is a little more complex. After mounting the new wheel / tire set, I drove over 5 miles in the C8 with the pressure readouts still reporting the tire pressures stored from the removed tires. Then, after about 5 miles, the tire pressures blanked out and the "service tire pressure system" warning light and message appeared. No amount of additional driving allowed the C8 to recognize the new TPMS sensors. I called the dealer who mounted the tires and TPMS sensors to ask what step I was missing. He informed me that I had to bring the car in and that they need to program the sensors to match the car. No! I can't believe my C7 can self learn new sensors and the C8 can't. So, I re-read the manual. After the car sends the 'Service Tire Pressure Monitor System" message, the C8 needs to be parked, motor off and sit for at ​​​​​least 20 minutes. Then, drive for about 5 miles and the car will then identify the new sensors at their proper locations and report pressure and temperature. No need to go to dealer for programing. I understand for less than $20 you can get a "tool" from Amazon to program GM TPMS systems without the need to drive, sit for 20 minutes and the drive again ritual. Handy I guess if you do a lot of tire swapping.... but for me, swapping summer only for all season tires twice a year, the drive - wait - drive method works for me.

Well, did it work? Don't leave us hanging.
Old 04-16-2024, 01:58 PM
Revmanii
Instructor

Received 78 Likes on 47 Posts

I have a 2014 Silverado. I bought a set of "take off" wheels off E-Bay for it before I'd even purchased the truck new from a local dealer. I used the stock wheels in the winter and the take offs in the spring/summer. After spending a bunch to have the local tire place put the new wheels and tires on it and recalibrate the TPS, I bought a device off the internet that lets me do the re-learn process for the TPS myself. It's a whole procedure to get the vehicle into learn mode, than you have to start on the left front and go all the way round the car to each wheel. Place it next to the valve, press the button and wait for the horn indicating it's been read and updated, and keep going.

Last edited by Revmanii; 04-16-2024 at 02:08 PM.

Quick Reply: C8 Tire Pressure Monitoring Reset