Notices
C8 General Discussion The place to discuss the next generation of Corvette.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Kerbeck C8 Order Question

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-2021, 10:11 AM
pacdot0
Cruising

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Kerbeck C8 Order Question

TL;DR- less than great communication from dealership after joining waitlist, should I be worried?

First off thank you everyone here for all the info.
I knew I wanted a C8, I knew supply was low, I had no idea how low or the process required till reading posts here so thank you.

I called Kerbeck (now known as Ciocca) and inquired on the process of getting on the waitlist and the expected time. I got a 60 second explanation and email from the salesperson. I then sent a follow up email asking the time frame from $1000 deposit to 5% down payment. I waited 24 hours, made sure I gave the salesperson a full workday (his schedule is on his email) and didn’t get a response. I called, he told me. Cool. So I decide to pull the trigger.
Sign the form, start to initiate the wire and notice that the name listed by my bank is different from the sheet. I call, no answer from my sales rep. I call the main sales line, no answer. I call over the next 4 hours, no answer. I decide that if worst case I lose $1000 to the wind, it’s a risk I’m willing to take and it’s not very likely (the names looked related).

I call the next 2 hours of my salespersons hours the next day, still no answer. I just left a voicemail. He calls me back at end of day, says no problem, everything’s good, talk to you in about a year. Check back by next summer.

I emailed him asking for my number on the list, he replied saying it’d be a while before I have a number but he would tell me once I do.

Maybe I’m overreacting and I just need to understand they’re very busy, a lot of people waste their time. I’m not expecting world class service, but the lack of communication and information does worry me some (possibly unnecessarily).

Should I also get on Macmulkin’s list just in case? Or am I worrying over nothing and I should just wait.

Thanks I’m advance!
Old 09-26-2021, 09:37 AM
Fast Dawg
Le Mans Master

Received 2,532 Likes on 1,610 Posts

This seems to be a common problem at Ciocca. I don't know if they are just that busy but I've seen someone post here that they visited the dealership when the showroom was practically empty of people and when they did finally get to speak with a salesperson that guy acted like the "customer" was bothering him.

I put down a deposit with Kerbeck and MacMulkin on 3/30/21. I put down a deposit with Rick Hendrick in Duluth, GA on 4/8/21. MacMulkin notified me immediately that they received my deposit, told me it would be about a year, and gave me instructions on how to track my progress on their website. Kerbeck sent me nothing so a few days later I sent them an email and they confirmed they got my deposit, told me it would be a year, and that was it. I never even knew where I stood on their wait list until I inquired this summer.

RHD got me an allocation on 5/13/21 and I went to 3000 status on 5/27/21. I took delivery of my 2021 TR HTC from them on 9/14/21. That afternoon I called Ciocca and asked for my deposit back. The guy who answered the phone told me he would do it and I asked for his name. Imagine my surprise when I got an email from another salesman at Ciocca on 9/21/21 telling me it was time for me to place my order or lose my place in line. I called that guy back, told him I already had a C8, and asked him to check on my deposit refund status. It hadn't been processed and he told me to reply to his email to me telling him I wanted my deposit back so he could get it back to me. The first guy I spoke with didn't do anything!

Last edited by Fast Dawg; 09-26-2021 at 09:38 AM.
Old 09-26-2021, 09:49 AM
leo12
Burning Brakes

Received 25 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by Fast Dawg
This seems to be a common problem at Ciocca. I don't know if they are just that busy but I've seen someone post here that they visited the dealership when the showroom was practically empty of people and when they did finally get to speak with a salesperson that guy acted like the "customer" was bothering him.

I put down a deposit with Kerbeck and MacMulkin on 3/30/21. I put down a deposit with Rick Hendrick in Duluth, GA on 4/8/21. MacMulkin notified me immediately that they received my deposit, told me it would be about a year, and gave me instructions on how to track my progress on their website. Kerbeck sent me nothing so a few days later I sent them an email and they confirmed they got my deposit, told me it would be a year, and that was it. I never even knew where I stood on their wait list until I inquired this summer.

RHD got me an allocation on 5/13/21 and I went to 3000 status on 5/27/21. I took delivery of my 2021 TR HTC from them on 9/14/21. That afternoon I called Ciocca and asked for my deposit back. The guy who answered the phone told me he would do it and I asked for his name. Imagine my surprise when I got an email from another salesman at Ciocca on 9/21/21 telling me it was time for me to place my order or lose my place in line. I called that guy back, told him I already had a C8, and asked him to check on my deposit refund status. It hadn't been processed and he told me to reply to his email to me telling him I wanted my deposit back so he could get it back to me. The first guy I spoke with didn't do anything!
Go with MacMulkin,you will get your car much faster, with much bette service

Last edited by leo12; 09-26-2021 at 09:51 AM. Reason: pic
Old 09-26-2021, 09:58 AM
VetteBlessed
Racer

Received 1,195 Likes on 247 Posts

Ciocca and MM are the top two Corvette dealers in the world. Both are great dealerships. If you want more hand holding, go with MM. I can get more than enough information from this forum after sending my $1K deposit to Ciocca. Lots of folks have deposits with both so they can get their car a little sooner. Ciocca received 297 allocations in September, which is large. Is this going to continue, no one knows and is only guessing. The real comparison should be Ciocca and MM to your local dealer. Then you will see how fortunate we are to have Ciocca and MM! The difference between the two is negligible IMHO.

Last edited by VetteBlessed; 09-26-2021 at 02:06 PM.
The following users liked this post:
direct007 (09-26-2021)
Old 09-26-2021, 11:38 AM
Fast Dawg
Le Mans Master

Received 2,532 Likes on 1,610 Posts

Originally Posted by leo12
Go with MacMulkin,you will get your car much faster, with much bette service
Read the last paragraph in my post. I took delivery on 9/14/21 of my TR HTC from Rick Hendrick Duluth.

I got my deposit back from MacMulkin when they announced no more courtesy deliveries. When I called them they asked why and I told them I didn't want to get a 2022 in the winter and not be able to go get it because of the weather. I also didn't want to pay extra for a private transport. Apparently they were listening to all of the people that didn't like their new policy and changed it to courtesy deliveries to select dealers. I agree about their service. I had my deposit back in a week.
Old 09-26-2021, 11:44 AM
pacdot0
Cruising

Thank you everyone for your answers.

I’d like to think I’d be fine being patient and not being hand held, but the lack of communication is a little scary.

I live in Dallas so I know there’s a dealership on the top 10(?) here, I’ll look up which one it is and likely do a deposit there and Macmulkin as well just to be safe. Worst case I have to fight for a couple of $1k deposits back.
Old 09-26-2021, 01:50 PM
Parsaver
Instructor

Received 86 Likes on 50 Posts

TLR they're busy. Relax
They are the largest seller of Corvettes for a reason. You also called them when they got the largest allocation in their history I believe. With close to 300 cars they have to sort out....

I'm sure they had many already inputted into the workbench but they might have had to scramble for the rest. With 6-7 people working thats 40-50 cars a sales person. For perspective, your average car salesman sells 10 a month if he makes his bonuses. Think about delivery for those cars too. Walking around with the customer, showing them everything, inspecting it with them. How long do you spend looking over a new car?

Now they have to make sure they get another 200-300 cars ready to order in case they get another big allocation. So that's another 50 cars a person they need to get builds and deposits for, inputted ect.

On top of that they have 200+ people a month sending them deposits and trying to get put on the list. Think about the all the phone calls and emails coming in to them... They didn't get back to you right away because they are making sure someone whose been waiting 9 months is getting their car.

They the largest for a reason I imagine. I wouldn't lose sleep over it.
The following 2 users liked this post by Parsaver:
direct007 (09-26-2021), pacdot0 (09-26-2021)
Old 09-26-2021, 02:05 PM
direct007
Melting Slicks

Received 2,009 Likes on 1,026 Posts

Originally Posted by pacdot0
TL;DR- less than great communication from dealership after joining waitlist, should I be worried?

First off thank you everyone here for all the info.
I knew I wanted a C8, I knew supply was low, I had no idea how low or the process required till reading posts here so thank you.

I called Kerbeck (now known as Ciocca) and inquired on the process of getting on the waitlist and the expected time. I got a 60 second explanation and email from the salesperson. I then sent a follow up email asking the time frame from $1000 deposit to 5% down payment. I waited 24 hours, made sure I gave the salesperson a full workday (his schedule is on his email) and didn’t get a response. I called, he told me. Cool. So I decide to pull the trigger.
Sign the form, start to initiate the wire and notice that the name listed by my bank is different from the sheet. I call, no answer from my sales rep. I call the main sales line, no answer. I call over the next 4 hours, no answer. I decide that if worst case I lose $1000 to the wind, it’s a risk I’m willing to take and it’s not very likely (the names looked related).

I call the next 2 hours of my salespersons hours the next day, still no answer. I just left a voicemail. He calls me back at end of day, says no problem, everything’s good, talk to you in about a year. Check back by next summer.

I emailed him asking for my number on the list, he replied saying it’d be a while before I have a number but he would tell me once I do.

Maybe I’m overreacting and I just need to understand they’re very busy, a lot of people waste their time. I’m not expecting world class service, but the lack of communication and information does worry me some (possibly unnecessarily).

Should I also get on Macmulkin’s list just in case? Or am I worrying over nothing and I should just wait.

Thanks I’m advance!
You have no worries with Ciocca. They really are "that busy" As VetteBlessed said...if you need hand holding and reassurance for every step...Ciocca isn't the dealership. They've already built their reputation and have nothing to prove. They aren't the dealership that is taking deposits without the allocation to back it up, they aren't going to make you wait 2 years for a car. They aren't going to increase the price when the car comes in by adding Nitrogen to the tires and window etching fees. The will sell at MSRP. None of the bullshit that earns other dealerships a bad name...Nothing.

They didn't become the largest Corvette dealership by screwing people over. They've been selling the most Corvettes for the past 27 years. Unfortunately, they have the same number of Corvette Consultants when selling 1/3 of the volume as they do now. A normal month, they sell and take orders for 80 to 100 Corvettes. With the C8, they do double this volume and in September received 297 allocations which is triple the volume.

They will get back to you in time regarding important issues. In my personal opinion, you only need to contact them 3 times during the entire order/purchase process. 1. Leaving your deposit. 2. Ordering the car and don't be the indecisive type that sits around 6 months waiting to order and then have to make 10 changes at the last minute as the car is approaching 3000....know exactly what you want before placing the actual order. 3. Making arrangements to pick up the car, transporting it or courtesy delivery.

Now with this said, I stop by their showroom probably every 4 to 6 weeks. I respect the fact that they are busy and don't expect sales people standing around waiting for me to show up unannounced and running over to me asking if I need assistance. When I come there to do business, I make an appointment first, I don't just show up. If I'm just stopping by to look at the cars and see the new colors...I'm not expecting them to drop everything and stand around to shoot the breeze. They, however are always cordial, have always answered any questions and have no problem with me perusing their vast inventory of customer sold cars. I've also sat in my sales consultant's cubicle and watched exactly what is going on. The entire time, my sales consultant (Sam Kelley) was taking calls, replying to emails and texts and taking orders. There was no downtime. I also could see that the other sales consultants were doing the same as well as taking care of deposits from new customers, deliveries and in person orders.

When I read posts on Facebook C8 pages and other threads in the forum. I really think that some people don't have any scope of the volume compared to other dealerships that sell 7 C8's a month.

Last edited by direct007; 09-26-2021 at 03:00 PM.
The following 4 users liked this post by direct007:
JerryU (09-26-2021), pacdot0 (09-26-2021), Parsaver (09-26-2021), VetteBlessed (09-26-2021)
Old 09-26-2021, 04:01 PM
6667vette
Pro

Received 167 Likes on 103 Posts

Don’t worry first deposit to second could be 4/6 months. My first 3/5/2021 second 8/17/21.
Old 09-26-2021, 04:28 PM
JerryU
E-Ray, 3LZ, ZER, LIFT
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 9,657 Likes on 6,653 Posts

Originally Posted by VetteBlessed
Ciocca and MM are the top two Corvette dealers in the world. Both are great dealerships. If you want more hand holding, go with MM. I can get more than enough information from this forum after sending my $1K deposit to Ciocca. Lots of folks have deposits with both so they can get their car a little sooner. Ciocca received 297 allocations in September, which is large. Is this going to continue, no one knows and is only guessing. The real comparison should be Ciocca and MM to your local dealer. Then you will see how fortunate we are to have Ciocca and MM! The difference between the two is negligible IMHO.
Yep good advice! Bought 3 Vettes from Kerbeck, including my C8. Great folks, Zero issues. They are #1 and have been for years for a reason! BUT like everyone today many folks don't answer phones! Send a short text message. Actually my great Kerbeck salesman Sam Kelley (now Ciocca, he's still there just got a Happy Birthday email) has been great. When I placed my C8 Order in July 2019 knew I was about half way in their expected 1400 allocation BUT can't get too excited with a number! In fact Sam answered every question I had promptly but didn't have many as Kerbeck published and updated list of cars on order every day. Didn't need Sam to read it to me!

Many folks are placing orders with multiple distributors and pull out the refundable deposits (all dealer's know that) when one says your getting close and we want a non refundable deposit is when you can be sure you'll get one. Not exactly when but not getting pushed to the next year! So a number may make you feel warm and fussy BUT means nothing! A call in about a year is probably a better realistic answer!

My Shaggy Dog Order Experience
As mentioned I knew when I placed my C8 order in July 2019 I was about half way in their "expected allocation of ~1400 C8s." Around September 2019 GM left it be known (before the strike and Pandemic) they would NOT be able to produce all the C8s they wanted for 2020. Kerbeck was smart (they are the largest Vette dealer and had been for many years for a reason) and stopped taking orders for 2020's and started to take orders for 2021's!

All dealers knew that the allocation estimate would be reduced (heck I did from Forum Posts) or should have!) BUT some dealers just kept on taking 1100 orders "placed by dealer." Many, when in early 2020 the new allocations came out and all being a cut in about half, (with still not assurance GM could make all those) many dealers had to tell those on the 2020 list "Sorry you're getting pushed to 2021." If I'm not mistaken MM was one of those! Kerbeck in fact, when the final allocation number was released had to ask some of the early folks on their 2021 list IF they wanted a 2020. Enough said YES, THEY FILLED THEIR 2020 ALLOCATION!

I was still very nervous I would be pushed to a 2021 (the nervousness was color as LBR was being discontinued!) I was lucky as GM decided to extend their normal build year from ~July into after October! So I got my 2020 C8 soon after it was built in late August on September 2nd.

Yep anyone can give you a number and tell you you'll get it in XYZ BUT that assumes GM can meet their planned production schedule. GM has said they are NOT going to extend the Build Year and it has already moved back to roughly with other GM vehicles.

Last edited by JerryU; 09-26-2021 at 04:43 PM.
Old 09-26-2021, 09:57 PM
SirJonV47
Advanced

Received 22 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by Fast Dawg

That guy was me. I drove 2 1/2 hours to be treated as if I was a bother to Amoni to show me the car. And I had put a deposit down 3 weeks before my visit.

Go look at my post. “ dropped deposit on Friday” to see my whole terrible experience. They were so indifferent and could care less about spending anytime with me. I canceled deposit within 30 mins of that experience.

does the dealership care?? Nope. Not at all. They have more demand and deposits that it means nothing if one dropped out.

But I will never buy a car there and I will and have told everyone I can about my terrible experience. I had gone to a bbq with about 50 people on Saturday and told anyone who wanted to listen.
The following 3 users liked this post by SirJonV47:
555ctsv (09-26-2021), Cumbers (09-27-2021), Fast Dawg (09-27-2021)
Old 09-27-2021, 07:37 AM
VetteBlessed
Racer

Received 1,195 Likes on 247 Posts

Originally Posted by SirJonV47
That guy was me. I drove 2 1/2 hours to be treated as if I was a bother to Amoni to show me the car. And I had put a deposit down 3 weeks before my visit.

Go look at my post. “ dropped deposit on Friday” to see my whole terrible experience. They were so indifferent and could care less about spending anytime with me. I canceled deposit within 30 mins of that experience.

does the dealership care?? Nope. Not at all. They have more demand and deposits that it means nothing if one dropped out.

But I will never buy a car there and I will and have told everyone I can about my terrible experience. I had gone to a bbq with about 50 people on Saturday and told anyone who wanted to listen.
Sorry for your unacceptable experience and I would have canceled also. My only other comment would be to let go of the issue... life is too short to fuss over an issue like this at a bbq and sounds like this continues to eat at you.

Last edited by VetteBlessed; 09-27-2021 at 07:38 AM.
Old 09-27-2021, 09:08 AM
PColasanto
Melting Slicks

Received 1,645 Likes on 905 Posts

There’s definitely value in giving a heads up to others who are looking to buy a C8 about how you were treated, to give them information to help them make the best decision for them, but I agree that there’s a big downside to taking it much further than that.

Sounds like you let it impact the rest of your day, and probably didn’t have as much fun at a big barbecue as you could/should have. Also, I clearly don’t know the crowd at the BBQ, but there’s a decent chance that your first-world problems of a mild inconvenience buying a corvette compared to issues others are dealing with in life could make them remember you as the whiny corvette guy. Hopefully you blew off some steam and steel better now, but I do agree with the guy above, try not to hold onto it. Nothing good comes from that.

FYI, I’m on the ciocca list, working with Amoni as well, and I totally agree that communication is almost non-existent. It’s still the most convenient option for me, and I bought my C7 from them, so I had some idea what to expect.

I do think they need to add to staff because they are hurting their reputation with potential future customers. Maybe they don’t care now, but they’ll care likely car some day, I’d think.

good luck with your purchase elsewhere!

Originally Posted by VetteBlessed
Sorry for your unacceptable experience and I would have canceled also. My only other comment would be to let go of the issue... life is too short to fuss over an issue like this at a bbq and sounds like this continues to eat at you.
Old 09-27-2021, 09:16 AM
pacdot0
Cruising

I just wanted to thank everyone for their responses. This forum has been so so helpful for me in this process.

I've decided at the end of the day, I'll just be patient. It doesn't seem likely that they're going to lose my deposit or take an unnecessarily long time because of carelessness. Apparently others have experienced the same lack of communication, and I'm fine as long as I know the job will get done and I'm not alone in this.

Thank you everyone again.
The following users liked this post:
direct007 (09-27-2021)
Old 09-27-2021, 09:25 AM
PColasanto
Melting Slicks

Received 1,645 Likes on 905 Posts

Be patient, but proactive when necessary. I was monitoring the boards a and saw that people with wait list numbers later than mine were getting calls/emails about second deposit before me. That led me to do a follow up with my guy and it turns out, the email went to junk, so I never saw it. If I was “patient”, and just waited and waited, I am not sure when (if?) Ciocca would have followed up with me via a call. And I sent in my deposit and order sheet, in what I thought was exactly how he wanted it, but didn’t hear back from like a week. I followed up and he said it was the wrong format, so he couldn’t read it. Would have been nice to know that when I sent it a week earlier, but oh well.

So those are two examples of making sure you’re on top of things, trying to balance being too pushy with too passive. Very fine line to walk.

good luck!

Originally Posted by pacdot0
I just wanted to thank everyone for their responses. This forum has been so so helpful for me in this process.

I've decided at the end of the day, I'll just be patient. It doesn't seem likely that they're going to lose my deposit or take an unnecessarily long time because of carelessness. Apparently others have experienced the same lack of communication, and I'm fine as long as I know the job will get done and I'm not alone in this.

Thank you everyone again.
The following 3 users liked this post by PColasanto:
direct007 (09-27-2021), Fast Dawg (09-27-2021), VetteBlessed (09-27-2021)

Get notified of new replies

To Kerbeck C8 Order Question

Quick Reply: Kerbeck C8 Order Question