Notices
C8 General Discussion The place to discuss the next generation of Corvette.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Best factory audio system ever?

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-2021, 09:28 PM
Harlaquin
Advanced

Received 107 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by DSOMrulz
LOL. Best Chevy Bose system, maybe. Best overall? Not even close. Unless your definition of "best" is artificial, boomy mid-bass, no real low end, and volume more important than accuracy or low distortion. Yes, it's LOUD. But that's not the measure of "good."

For a Bose system, it's pretty good. But that's the best can be said about it.

That "review" reads like he was just parroting Bose's press release.
The perceived enjoyment of any audio system is of course subjective. To one it might sound like honey and to another it might sound like muddy water. But artificial? and no low end? Are you sure you have been in and listened too a premium system in the C8? Cause it can literally make the doors visibly vibrate and center the sound directly inside your skull as if it has no point of origin. All I know is after owning almost 37 cars in my life and being pocket picked for "premium" systems this one is hands down one of the best I have had in a car. Is it a audiophiles wet dream? probably not. Then again to an audiophile nothing is good enough and they will spend 20 / 30 grand or more trying to find perfection. but is it in the top of any other system in the class of car in its price range....... yes..yes it is.
The following 2 users liked this post by Harlaquin:
Majestic94 (09-22-2021), Red C8 of Jax (09-23-2021)
Old 09-22-2021, 09:35 PM
Harlaquin
Advanced

Received 107 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by THX_ZORA
MP3? what the heck is that? :-) Only lossless FLAC files from ripped CD's and hi rez downloads are played in my C8 via thumb drive....

I will say that Bose has come a long way since the stock system in the C5-OMG what a loser. I am not a Bose fan in any way. But, I do agree that the 14-speaker system in my 2LT is the best stock system I have had as well.

I do wish there was more low-end oomph, but what can they do-there is not enough depth anywhere in the car to put in a bass driver that can truly move some air.....
Its this thing that saves me space LOL I like to put 40k songs on a drive not 4 those FLAC files are murderously large LOL. but in reality I seriously doubt the cars system can adequately play a 1411 KBPS file any differently then it can play a 320KBPS file. Generally very expensive high end professional equipment is needed to even tell a difference. For most daily uses 320KBPS is more then adequate as most all streaming services barely go about 160 KBPS and most people think they sound great so any MP3 at 320 is more then double the rate and is more then enough for any car system.

Last edited by Harlaquin; 09-22-2021 at 09:35 PM.
The following users liked this post:
RKCRLR (09-22-2021)
Old 09-23-2021, 01:51 AM
Outlaw7
Racer

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by SECLT22021
My BMW Harmon Kardon premium system was great.
I agree. My Z4 M40i has a H-K system and it's much better than the Meridian in my last three Jaguars or the Bose systems I've had in other cars.
Old 09-23-2021, 06:51 AM
KCC8
Racer

Received 288 Likes on 162 Posts

Originally Posted by Ken_C8
Go listen to a Bowers & Wilkins system in a Volvo XC90. It will make all other systems sound inferior. That said, I really enjoy the Bose in the C8.
this. My wife’s XC90 with the B & W is next level. Adjusting the settings is a PITA and cannot be done on the fly, but truly a great sound. Even my non-audio loving friends notice it.
Old 09-23-2021, 06:55 AM
thrilled
Safety Car

Received 620 Likes on 456 Posts

I have heard that it’s not good at all. With my age they all sound similar, That is probably the last reason that I bought the C8. I didn’t buy it for sounds. I guess I’m old fashioned. 14 speakers really?
Old 09-23-2021, 08:01 AM
Ken_C8
Melting Slicks

Received 892 Likes on 410 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09, '21

One fun thing I have noticed about the 14 speaker Bose in the C8 is that the "subwoofers" in the doors vent to the bottom of the door and if it's turned up pretty loud, my pant legs flutter.
GregF (09-25-2021)
Old 09-23-2021, 08:15 AM
Harry2
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 403 Likes on 222 Posts

I agree, my music sounds great at 70 MPH with the HTC top down and in max Z mode exhaust volume, LOL!
Seriously, it does sound decent with the motor shut down and the music on for a few seconds before I open the door.
MikeinAZ (09-24-2021)
Old 09-23-2021, 08:50 AM
23/C8Z
Race Director

Received 5,776 Likes on 3,185 Posts

Originally Posted by Ken_C8
Go listen to a Bowers & Wilkins system in a Volvo XC90. It will make all other systems sound inferior. That said, I really enjoy the Bose in the C8.
Maybe vs the C8? But my buddy got the hybrid one XC90 whatever for his wife. 85k and we compared them with stereo in the wife's XT6 Bose concert whatever in there. I would say it's close but the Bose has more headroom and the reproduction was very similar. If you haven't sat in an XT6 and listened to the high end Bose in that car? Go do it.

His M8 system is good but again the newer Bose concert series I've heard so far is very good and definitely better than the system in that car as well. Maybe car vs suv.
Old 09-23-2021, 09:38 AM
C8forT
Burning Brakes

Received 452 Likes on 229 Posts

The C8 Bose system is good for those who like the bass loud and boomy, which probably happens to be most people. It is not so good for a critical listener that prefers an accurate frequency response, such as those accustomed to listening to high quality sound reproduction.

I found the best settings for me are to set the system to "normal" mode and drop the bass down 3 or 4 notches. It is fine for some music, but still is not very good at reproducing the vocals in some songs - the vocals sound suppressed. In some songs where the vocals should be front and prominent, they are drowned out to an extent. I especially notice it on some of the songs by Dire Straits and Chris Isaak, for example. In Chris Isaak's "Blue Spanish Sky" even the trumpet gets a little lost.
Old 09-23-2021, 10:14 AM
kbreese
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 740 Likes on 361 Posts

Originally Posted by C8forT
The C8 Bose system is good for those who like the bass loud and boomy, which probably happens to be most people. It is not so good for a critical listener that prefers an accurate frequency response, such as those accustomed to listening to high quality sound reproduction.

I found the best settings for me are to set the system to "normal" mode and drop the bass down 3 or 4 notches. It is fine for some music, but still is not very good at reproducing the vocals in some songs - the vocals sound suppressed. In some songs where the vocals should be front and prominent, they are drowned out to an extent. I especially notice it on some of the songs by Dire Straits and Chris Isaak, for example. In Chris Isaak's "Blue Spanish Sky" even the trumpet gets a little lost.
Kinda like the Logitech 2.1 system I bought for my computer that had a big sub. It had great reviews, people loved it. It didn't last long at all before I gave it away and bought some JBL studio monitors to replace them. HUGE difference in SQ. Gone was the deep boomy bass, but it was replaced by clean, smooth, beautiful rich & accurate sound. Totally agree with you most people simply judge SQ but how loud it can play and how much booming bass their is. BTW, love Chris Isaak, and that song too.

Last edited by kbreese; 09-23-2021 at 10:15 AM.
C8forT (09-23-2021)
Old 09-23-2021, 10:42 AM
C8forT
Burning Brakes

Received 452 Likes on 229 Posts

Originally Posted by kbreese
Kinda like the Logitech 2.1 system I bought for my computer that had a big sub. It had great reviews, people loved it. It didn't last long at all before I gave it away and bought some JBL studio monitors to replace them. HUGE difference in SQ. Gone was the deep boomy bass, but it was replaced by clean, smooth, beautiful rich & accurate sound. Totally agree with you most people simply judge SQ but how loud it can play and how much booming bass their is. BTW, love Chris Isaak, and that song too.
Yes. The majority of people want the audio system to be loud and to go boom, boom. And, the more speakers the better, right? That, to them, is high quality audio. GM/Bose designed the C8 audio system for those people, not for people who actually like accurate sound reproduction. Makes sense, though, since that probably is the vast majority of Corvette buyers.

That's also why Bose has been such a successful company over the years. There always have been much better sounding speakers at a fraction of their cost, but the typical consumer wants the artificial sounding boom, boom.
The following 3 users liked this post by C8forT:
C82021 (09-23-2021), kbreese (09-23-2021), thrilled (09-26-2021)
Old 09-23-2021, 04:00 PM
theclutch
Racer

Received 163 Likes on 107 Posts

Originally Posted by Harlaquin
...this has to be hands down the best factory system I have ever heard.....
I'm glad you like it. But clearly, you haven't heard much.
Old 09-23-2021, 04:23 PM
smb33076
Advanced

Received 28 Likes on 21 Posts

who uses cd's anymore. everything is streamed by your phone!
Old 09-23-2021, 04:29 PM
Datawiz
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 320 Likes on 152 Posts
CI-7-8-9-10 Veteran
Cruise-In IX AutoX Winner
St. Jude Donor '05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11,'19,'22
St. Jude/CI Name Tag Designer

Originally Posted by theclutch
I'm glad you like it. But clearly, you haven't heard much.
I've had numerous Lexi and I like their Mark Levinson systems WAY better than the Bose in the C8. I'm still pleased with the audio in the C8, but it's far from "the best".
The following 2 users liked this post by Datawiz:
MikeinAZ (09-24-2021), theclutch (09-23-2021)
Old 09-23-2021, 04:33 PM
Majestic94
Safety Car

Received 1,913 Likes on 1,020 Posts

Anytime this topic comes up there’s always gonna be those that can swear they can’t hear a gnat fart in the Bose in a moving sports car over all the exhaust, traffic, wind and tire noise like they can in their home sound booth.

Old 09-23-2021, 04:38 PM
djkianoosh
Instructor

Received 116 Likes on 67 Posts

In the 90's my brother got a new Lexus (forget the model) with a Nakamichi system in it, and it was quite awesome, at least that's how I remember it being a teenager back then.

I've had a Bose in my Audi and now in this one. This one is really nice and probably one of the better ones. Hard to say best though.
Old 09-23-2021, 05:42 PM
theclutch
Racer

Originally Posted by Datawiz
I've had numerous Lexi and I like their Mark Levinson systems WAY better than the Bose in the C8. I'm still pleased with the audio in the C8, but it's far from "the best".
Funny, that was just but one example that came immediately to mind. I'm still shocked at how great those systems were in a car! It also makes me sooo cringe each time people have the words "Bose" and "best" combined in any sentence that doesn't have the word "not" in it. But hey, if they like Bose, then great! Live and let live. If they are happy with the "blue" pill, then why should we mess with it. Otherwise, if they want to know better, the red pill would show them what "best" really would sound like and it will alter their perception forever.

Get notified of new replies

To Best factory audio system ever?

Old 09-23-2021, 05:44 PM
LIE2ME
Le Mans Master

Received 4,581 Likes on 1,647 Posts

Guys, audio is so subjective. I don't think I would look down on most later automotive sound systems. Heck, the real soundtrack to a C8 is the car itself...
sambo60 (09-24-2021)
Old 09-23-2021, 05:46 PM
Majestic94
Safety Car

Received 1,913 Likes on 1,020 Posts

Originally Posted by theclutch
Funny, that was just but one example that came immediately to mind. I'm still shocked at how great those systems were in a car! It also makes me sooo cringe each time people have the words "Bose" and "best" combined in any sentence that doesn't have the word "not" in it. But hey, if they like Bose, then great! Live and let live. If they are happy with the "blue" pill, then why should we mess with it. Otherwise, if they want to know better, the red pill would show them what "best" really would sound like and it will alter their perception forever.
I think the whole Bose hate thing is what it comes down to. Audiophile snobs were taught by their peers a long time ago to hate on Bose, so even if it were the world’s best, it would catch flak from the Bose haters.

Last edited by Majestic94; 09-23-2021 at 05:46 PM.
Old 09-23-2021, 05:55 PM
theclutch
Racer

Originally Posted by Majestic94
I think the whole Bose hate thing is what it comes down to. Audiophile snobs were taught by their peers a long time ago to hate on Bose, so even if it were the world’s best, it would catch flak from the Bose haters.
I'm not a Bose hater at all and I have many of their products. Despite that, I absolutely recognize that they are far from the best for factory car audio. They're not even the best "bang for the buck" like the C8 is. I consider Bose to be the low end of the high end audio market. What they do have is a great marketing dept.

Just to give you an example, when I'm shuttling my kids around I am subjected to their music and them singing along to it. They have commented at how the singer's voice is sooo much clearer in the AMG's Burmester and Volvo's Bang & Olufsen compared to the Bose in the C8 and Porsche. These are 10 and 12 year olds hearing this difference. The Bose's bass is "boomy" and not tight like a drum compared to the others. Up until you hear these things back to back to back, can you only truly appreciate that this difference is not subjective. It's very objective. And then once you get to listen to truly higher end audio is when it becomes subjective.

Last edited by theclutch; 09-23-2021 at 06:09 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by theclutch:
C8forT (09-23-2021), Datawiz (09-23-2021)

Quick Reply: Best factory audio system ever?