Notices
C8 General Discussion The place to discuss the next generation of Corvette.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Extended warranty cost

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-2021, 02:05 PM
epicvet
Instructor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 20 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by mazurekd
Does someone have Dennis Fichtner’s email. The one I have (dfichtner@lauralchevy.com) keeps kicking back to me.??
You misspelled "laurel" in the email address.
Old 09-27-2021, 02:09 PM
Pat Salerno
Burning Brakes

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

his email is: dfichtner@laurelchevy.com
Laurel is spelled with and "e"
Pat
Old 09-27-2021, 02:25 PM
Cairo94507
Advanced

Received 45 Likes on 22 Posts

Aside from the GM warranties, what about a Fidelity Platinum plan? It is also an exclusionary plan, so unless it is listed as excluded, it is covered. They sell them for all makes/models.

I bought a Fidelity Platinum plan for my 2010 Carrera C4S when I bought it with 10K miles on it. I actually bought the Fidelity plan from a Chevrolet dealer in Redwood City when I bought the car from a private party. Saved me $3K buying from the Chevy dealer over what the local Porsche dealer wanted for the exact same plan. And, no, the Chevy dealer did not sell Porsches, he told me he can sell a Fidelity plan for any make or model. That was a good plan and well worth buying.
Old 09-27-2021, 03:35 PM
mazurekd
Burning Brakes

Received 313 Likes on 150 Posts

Originally Posted by epicvet
You misspelled "laurel" in the email address.
Originally Posted by Pat Salerno
Pat
Boy, do I feel stupid. I swear I copied and pasted that misspelled address from… somewhere. ? But thanks. I am curious what he has to say about the convertible top. Will report back.
Old 09-27-2021, 04:01 PM
BigButtLover
Safety Car

Received 491 Likes on 229 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08

Don’t buy extended warranty. Usually is a waste of money. Take that money and put it in a savings account. You have a 3 year warranty from factory. Usually if anything goes wrong, it will happen within that 3 year period. Now if you just want peace of mind…then go for it, but remember you will probably have to fight to get them to pay anything. They’re not in the warranty business to lose money.

Last edited by BigButtLover; 09-27-2021 at 04:03 PM.
Old 09-27-2021, 04:10 PM
GregF
Racer

Received 255 Likes on 118 Posts

Originally Posted by BigButtLover
Don’t buy extended warranty. Usually is a waste of money. Take that money and put it in a savings account. You have a 3 year warranty from factory. Usually if anything goes wrong, it will happen within that 3 year period. Now if you just want peace of mind…then go for it, but remember you will probably have to fight to get them to pay anything. They’re not in the warranty business to lose money.
I agree with this 99.99% of the time. I prefer to be self-insured whenever and wherever possible. Always have the highest deductibles on insurance if given a choice and am quick to drop it when I can.

But something about this car is nagging at me. Could be that fixing the mag ride or the convertible top could get expensive, I’m not sure. But you are absolutely right in the sense that if it doesn’t break during the 3/36 BTB period it likely won’t.

Unless it does.

Old 09-27-2021, 04:16 PM
BigButtLover
Safety Car

Received 491 Likes on 229 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08

Originally Posted by GregF
I agree with this 99.99% of the time. I prefer to be self-insured whenever and wherever possible. Always have the highest deductibles on insurance if given a choice and am quick to drop it when I can.

But something about this car is nagging at me. Could be that fixing the mag ride or the convertible top could get expensive, I’m not sure. But you are absolutely right in the sense that if it doesn’t break during the 3/36 BTB period it likely won’t.

Unless it does.
I have some of the same worries Greg, but
If by chance I did buy the extended warranty, it will be near the end of my factory warranty in 3 years, and that will give me more time to think about it and also a chance to see how the car performs that first 3 years.

The following users liked this post:
JerriVette (09-29-2022)
Old 09-27-2021, 04:17 PM
JohnUSA1
Pro

Received 309 Likes on 148 Posts

Unless it does.
This really depends on your luck cause if the repair cost is more than the cost of the warranty then you have lost.
As the new C8 has many expensive parts and lots of electronics I prefer to get my longest warranty and it is usually costs under $2K.
I think that 84 months is the longest Platinum Plan and I wonder what is the least cost members here paid for such a plan?
Thank you.
Old 09-27-2021, 04:48 PM
GregF
Racer

Originally Posted by JohnUSA1
This really depends on your luck cause if the repair cost is more than the cost of the warranty then you have lost.
As the new C8 has many expensive parts and lots of electronics I prefer to get my longest warranty and it is usually costs under $2K.
I think that 84 months is the longest Platinum Plan and I wonder what is the least cost members here paid for such a plan?
Thank you.
Two issues with that. First, the 84 month plan isn’t a true extension of the GM bumper to bumper warranty where the 5/60 extension you have to buy on the day you purchase the vehicle is. I have had zero issues getting repairs done under the bumper to bumper warranty so assume that would be same under the 5/60 extension.

Second, the 84 month extension is long in time, shorter on miles. At least that’s my understanding. And I will blow through the mileage limit way before the 84 months. The only time I don’t drive my daily driver is if I go drive some property we have or need to carry something that won’t fit. I have easily put over 15K miles per year working from home during Covid and will be 25K+ miles per year when I have to start commuting to the office. Which means they can say it’s 184 months and it won’t matter to me, I’ll exceed miles in less than five years, regardless.
Old 09-27-2021, 04:50 PM
GregF
Racer

Originally Posted by BigButtLover
I have some of the same worries Greg, but
If by chance I did buy the extended warranty, it will be near the end of my factory warranty in 3 years, and that will give me more time to think about it and also a chance to see how the car performs that first 3 years.
That’s a sound plan if you don’t want the true bumper to bumper extension. If you want the extension, not so much, because it has to be purchased on the day you purchase your car. And from the dealer from which you
purchased the car.
Old 09-27-2021, 05:30 PM
JohnUSA1
Pro

Two issues with that. First, the 84 month plan isn’t a true extension of the GM bumper to bumper warranty where the 5/60 extension you have to buy on the day you purchase the vehicle is. I have had zero issues getting repairs done under the bumper to bumper warranty so assume that would be same under the 5/60 extension.

Second, the 84 month extension is long in time, shorter on miles. At least that’s my understanding. And I will blow through the mileage limit way before the 84 months. The only time I don’t drive my daily driver is if I go drive some property we have or need to carry something that won’t fit. I have easily put over 15K miles per year working from home during Covid and will be 25K+ miles per year when I have to start commuting to the office. Which means they can say it’s 184 months and it won’t matter to me, I’ll exceed miles in less than five years, regardless.
You bring out good points to consider.
What is the longest bumper-to-bumper warranty available? What is the cost of such a plan if anyone knows.
So If I do want to purchase this bumper-to-bumper warranty I can only do it at the time of purchase? If so then I have to arrange this warranty purchase with MM when they contact me to pay for my order, which should be very soon.

Old 09-27-2021, 05:48 PM
GregF
Racer

Originally Posted by cor66vette
I'm in FL, and unless you're talking about something different, I bought the Chevrolet Extended Warranty "Platinum Plan" from Dennis Fitchner for my '17 GS, and I've been told Dennis sells these plans for the C8.
The true extended bumper to bumper warranty through GM takes the original warranty from 3/36 to 5/60. It is different from what you are talking about. But sounds like the point is moot if you’re in FL because it’s not available there, regardless.

And I don’t know why that would be.
Old 09-27-2021, 06:01 PM
GregF
Racer

Originally Posted by JohnUSA1
You bring out good points to consider.
What is the longest bumper-to-bumper warranty available? What is the cost of such a plan if anyone knows.
So If I do want to purchase this bumper-to-bumper warranty I can only do it at the time of purchase? If so then I have to arrange this warranty purchase with MM when they contact me to pay for my order, which should be very soon.
The longest extension of the true bumper to bumper warranty for the C8 is 5/60. It literally takes the 3/36 and makes it 5/60.

I don’t completely understand all the nuances of the other warranties but there are differences.

For me, I know what the initial manufacturer’s BTB is: something breaks, I hand them the keys, they fix it. (Unless it’s a wear and tear thing like brakes, tires, etc). It’s what I know vs what I don’t.

And I also know that in the 35+ years I’ve been doing business with my dealer I’ve never had to ask them to honor anything. Again, I hand them the keys, they fix it. And I used to hand them the keys A LOT when I had a 1986 Z28. That thing blew through some computer chip with regularity at what would have been $1500 a pop. In 1986!

I’m as on the fence about this as I’ve ever been because I’m anti extended warranties in most instances. It’s a sucker purchase. But this one just seems different. Maybe because I’ve never spent $86K on a car and likely never will again.

And as others have said, the quoted price for the extension for the C8 is $2238 but dealers can negotiate. I might give them a take it or leave it offer of $1400 and let their response determine whether or not I get it.

Have a feeling that’s literally going to be a decision I make when I write the check to pay for the car.
Old 09-27-2021, 07:24 PM
smb33076
Advanced

Received 28 Likes on 21 Posts
Default Warranty

It was through GM
Old 09-27-2021, 09:10 PM
Kevin A Jones
Race Director

Received 11,799 Likes on 5,631 Posts

Originally Posted by Frankb10

On my C7….i did a little research with a couple of forum vendors for a GM extended warranty..

Before my original 36/36 warranty expired, i bought a 60 month , 40,000 , O deductible from Todd at McMulkin Chevrolet for my 2016. $699.00

For about $12 per month its piece of mind. ...he is a forum vendor and they really try to help forum members...

if anyone is thinking of buying an extended GM warranty....give him a call.....(978)660-8045.....you won’t be disappointed...
Frank
PS It pays to do a little shopping…
Same here, Todd Sutherland saved me right at $200 over Dennis on same GMEPP policy.
Old 09-27-2021, 09:31 PM
JohnUSA1
Pro

Hi

unless GM has changed their requirements you don’t have to buy the extended warranty on delivery. (usually a good money maker for the dealer)

You can buy it at anytime from any GM dealer before the 3 yr 36k expires.

On my C7….i did a little research with a couple of forum vendors for a GM extended warranty..

Before my original 36/36 warranty expired, i bought a 60 month , 40,000 , O deductible from Todd at Mcmulkin Chevrolet for my 2016. $699.00

For about $12 per month its piece of mind. ...he is a forum vendor and they really try to help forum members...

if anyone is thinking of buying an extended GM warranty....give him a call.....(978)660-8045.....you won’t be disappointed...

Frank

Thanks for this tip.
Is this warranty bumper to bumper or does it have exclusions?
Thanks.
Old 09-27-2021, 09:41 PM
GregF
Racer

Originally Posted by THX_ZORA
I got the GM extended limited warranty. Increases my B2B warranty to 5 years/60k miles. got it for $1400. It's the only warranty I considered as the entire car is covered for that term, since it is the factory B2B warranty, just extended out for a longer term.

Here is a link:

​​​​​​https://www.chevrolet.com/protection...mited-warranty
$1400 is EXACTLY the price point I was considering for go/no go on the extended 5/60 BTB warranty.

we’ll see how it plays out.

Get notified of new replies

To Extended warranty cost

Old 09-27-2021, 09:46 PM
GregF
Racer

Hi

unless GM has changed their requirements you don’t have to buy the extended warranty on delivery. (usually a good money maker for the dealer)

You can buy it at anytime from any GM dealer before the 3 yr 36k expires.

Before my original 36/36 warranty expired, i bought a 60 month , 40,000 , O deductible from Todd at Mcmulkin Chevrolet for my 2016. $699.00

Frank

Does that mean the extended warranty you bought extend months from 36 to 60 and miles from 36K to 40K? Because while that is good for those who drive less than 8K miles per year it’s only a 4K mile addon for those of us that drive, say, 15K per year.
Old 09-28-2021, 05:47 AM
pdddd
Advanced

Received 31 Likes on 17 Posts

So why do dealers hate the gm extended warranty? Is it really all about losing a few hundred st the sale?
Old 09-28-2021, 09:59 AM
Mr Snappy!
Melting Slicks

Received 590 Likes on 163 Posts

Originally Posted by Pat Salerno
Pat
That email is bouncing. I tried yesterday replying to an email I have from him from last Spring......Wonder what has happened to Dennis?
(Yes, I spelled it with an "e")

Quick Reply: Extended warranty cost