Notices
C8 General Discussion The place to discuss the next generation of Corvette.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Please explain the Z button to me and what can be done with it!

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2021, 09:07 PM
NextOne
Melting Slicks

Received 1,046 Likes on 645 Posts

My only fault with Z-mode is the very noticeable drop in MPG. The price of more fun...
The following users liked this post:
JerryU (08-23-2021)
Old 08-23-2021, 07:05 AM
Blade2382
Pro

Received 403 Likes on 207 Posts
Modified C8 of the Year 2021 Finalist

Please read owner’s manual, it will explains the Z button to you and what can be down with it!

What a lunatic concept.
Old 08-23-2021, 07:37 AM
JerryU
E-Ray, 3LZ, ZER, LIFT
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 9,641 Likes on 6,641 Posts

Originally Posted by NextOne
My only fault with Z-mode is the very noticeable drop in MPG. The price of more fun...
Yep less mpg but how much less depends on how you drive. I keep track of my mpg every time I fill up with gas. NOT that I'm concerned about getting a high #, but it comes out from the Excel spread sheet I have set so I just enter Station, Date, OD miles, Gallons and Price paid.
So I have a record for 1 year. Was driving only in Z Mode for several months. Then set up My Mode as well. The only two modes I use (has not been cold so no need for Weather Mode I use when it's below ~40F.) Decided to drive ONLY in My Mode (which is set in Sport) for a tankful. Know it's not scientific but got ~2 mpg better than the months were I was driving only in Z Mode!

In my rural area I drive pretty aggressively regardless of Drive Mode. So still accelerating fairly quickly and often braking hard as I come to a stop sign where I turn. Lots of stops and turns in the 20 miles of only back roads into town, my most often trips. But in MY Mode once I reach 55 to 65 mph it will go into V4 Mode and use all gears. In Z Mode Power set to Track it only goes into 6th past ~73 mph. Never is in V4. Most time it's in 5th or lower. However it's also not downshifting to accelerate as the throttle response is always quick.

As you say 2 mpg is on average the difference and for me cheap for the extra fun! Now if I were looking to improve mpg I would use Touring Mode and an old Mobil Economy Run trick of driving as if I had a raw egg between my foot and the throttle (Mobil Economy Run rules did not allow a vacuum gauge!)

SIDEBAR
With the many folks trying to "Save the World" would think it would be smart to start another Economy Run!

The Mobil Economy Run (run between 1936 and 1968) determined the gas mileage potentials of passenger cars under typical driving conditions encountered by average motorists. To prevent special preparation or modifications to the participating automobiles for the run, the United States Auto Club purchased the cars at dealerships and checked to certify as "stock." Their hoods and chassis were sealed. The factory gas tank was disconnected so fuel use could be accurate! measured using a special tank mounted in the trunk. Automakers used factory-supplied drivers who were highly trained and experienced to drive in a manner that conserved fuel.

Over the years, the Mobil Oil Corporation sponsored many Mobil Economy Run events across the country for various car classes and automobile associations for short distances. In 1963, a test between Los Angeles and the Grand Canyon eventually evolved into a "six-day" endurance test between Los Angeles and New York by the U.S. Auto Club.

Last edited by JerryU; 08-23-2021 at 12:14 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by JerryU:
Lead Foot 66 (08-25-2021), msm859 (08-23-2021)
Old 08-23-2021, 10:08 AM
Jim Shearer
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 90 Likes on 53 Posts

What a great thread. I continue to learn from the users of Corvette Forum!
JerryU (08-23-2021)
Old 08-23-2021, 10:24 AM
Cam2010
Instructor

Received 52 Likes on 27 Posts

Is Z mode available in a non Z51 ?
Old 08-23-2021, 10:37 AM
RKCRLR
Le Mans Master

Received 6,190 Likes on 3,396 Posts

Originally Posted by Cam2010
Is Z mode available in a non Z51 ?
Yes
Old 08-23-2021, 04:46 PM
Cam2010
Instructor

Received 52 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by RKCRLR
Yes
Thanks that is good to hear . I will be ordering a non Z51 with NPP and MRC so having the ability to have more control with the brakes and trans along with everything else in Z mode s fantastic.
RKCRLR (08-23-2021)
Old 08-23-2021, 05:14 PM
WalterSobchak
Safety Car

Received 2,901 Likes on 1,048 Posts

Originally Posted by Bronze Adonis
Has anyone done it already?
No ....in two and half model years no one has ever used it......🤔 Read the manual, search the forum.
Grey (08-24-2021)
Old 08-24-2021, 09:04 AM
psollitto
Racer

Received 166 Likes on 63 Posts

I have attached a chart showing how I intend to program my Z Mode and My Mode and the other settings that are available.

#496 on MM list.
Attached Images
File Type: pdf
Zmode my mode.pdf (20.5 KB, 122 views)

Last edited by psollitto; 08-24-2021 at 09:06 AM.
Old 08-24-2021, 11:57 AM
mazurekd
Burning Brakes

Received 313 Likes on 150 Posts

Originally Posted by psollitto
I have attached a chart showing how I intend to program my Z Mode and My Mode and the other settings that are available.

#496 on MM list.
From my understanding, the big plus for “Z” mode is the ability to program ‘power train’ to ‘track’. This adjusts the shift points that many find very sporting, plus no V4. Don’t have mine yet (sitting at my courtesy dealership), but am anxious to try this out.

Last edited by mazurekd; 08-24-2021 at 11:57 AM.
Old 08-24-2021, 12:07 PM
Grey
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 555 Likes on 304 Posts

Originally Posted by WalterSobchak
No ....in two and half model years no one has ever used it......🤔 Read the manual, search the forum.

Amen.

Not to be a jerk, but if you lack ambition to at least read the owners manual and at least grasp the basic workings of the car. You probably shouldn't even be driving this car. Yeah I said it
FlyinLow (08-24-2021)
Old 08-24-2021, 09:18 PM
JerryU
E-Ray, 3LZ, ZER, LIFT
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by mazurekd
From my understanding, the big plus for “Z” mode is the ability to program ‘power train’ to ‘track’. This adjusts the shift points that many find very sporting, plus no V4. Don’t have mine yet (sitting at my courtesy dealership), but am anxious to try this out.
Yep, It comes set with Power to Track but that is the key. Then set MY Mode wherevery you'd like as you cannot set Power in that mode. BUT don't have to waste Touring as that you can and will get no choice when you leave Z Mode. I like not having to use the Mode button and look at what I have or went past!

So when it goes into Tour Mode, without looking down I just turn the Mode **** CCW one hard twist. I tried something today. Did one more hard twist CCW and it went to Weather. That is the only other Mode I use when raining or when it's below 40F. BTW in NE SC I seldom have to drive below ~40F BUT have driven when car has been parked at 32 F. All is fine IF in Weather Mode and you manager the throttle carefully. I have tested when 32 F and with no traffic applied brakes aggressively at a few red lights. Stopped faster than the SV's and Pick-ups mostly around here! Now if often driving below 40 F might as well get all season tires.

Last edited by JerryU; 08-24-2021 at 09:20 PM.
Old 08-24-2021, 09:49 PM
rm50
Melting Slicks

Received 202 Likes on 73 Posts
2020 C8 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified

Originally Posted by JerryU
I often use Z Mode! It's like driving another more aggressive car.

See below and video a member made on why he only drives in Z Mode. Drive a "different more aggressive car" by setting Z MODE with Power set to Track. Note, unlike driving in Track Mode you can set Ride to Touring (assuming you have MRC.) Here is why I have Z MODE set with Power in Track. At the end is a link to a video by a forum member showing how it's a different car WITH POWER SET TO TRACK:
  • The car will upshift at much higher rpm than when in TOURING, SPORT or MY MODE.
  • It will seldom shift past 5th gear (or 6th if going >70 mph.) Note 4th and 5th are OD ratios, like 6th,7th and 8th) providing engine torque with modest throttle increases WITHOUT downshifting.
  • It will not go into V4 mode.
  • When braking, it will downshift at higher rpm and rev match makes it perfectly smooth in each gear.
  • Note, if desired you can still use the shift paddles. So if it's in 5th and your just cruising, pull the upshift paddle and you can shift to 6th, 7th ot 8th. If making an aggrieve turn you can downshift at whatever rpm you'd like as you brake. But you'll probably find when in Z MODE with Power set to Track it will downshift at high enough rpm with aggressive braking.
  • You also get Track more aggressive Throttle control compared to a slower Tip-In in other modes.
FWIW I have Power set to Track (it's NOT more Power it's the way it applied.) I have RIDE set to Sport, IF you have MRC can even set it at Touring for softest ride. Compared to driving in Track Mode where you live with a stiff ride,) I have eBoost and NPP set to Track (your choice.) Have Steering set to Sport. Just press the button on the steering wheel and you're in it. Press it again you're out! I mainly drive in 2 Modes, Z Mode and MY Mode. Can't set Power in My Mode or any other Mode other than Z Mode.

Good video describing what I said in words by a forum member:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RI9M...annel=jrock702
I have my Z mode set up exactly like you do. I love having Z mode available whenever I want. The only problem I have is I get a lot of backfiring if I am accelerating hard. Is this normal?
Old 08-24-2021, 11:50 PM
Grey
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 555 Likes on 304 Posts

Normal, unspent fuel and a combination of exhaust system. It's fine
rm50 (08-25-2021)
Old 08-25-2021, 09:13 AM
JerryU
E-Ray, 3LZ, ZER, LIFT
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by rm50
I have my Z mode set up exactly like you do. I love having Z mode available whenever I want. The only problem I have is I get a lot of backfiring if I am accelerating hard. Is this normal?
Hmm, never heard a backfire. Even when braking aggressively where it downshifts two gears in the blink of an eye. I have a 3/4 mile road near my home with only farm fields on both sides, no homes or people and seldom traffic. When I turn into that rural road often accelerate to triple digits (then back off) for fun. Never heard anything but high rpm.

Last edited by JerryU; 08-25-2021 at 09:14 AM.
rm50 (08-25-2021)
Old 08-25-2021, 09:16 AM
djkianoosh
Instructor

Received 116 Likes on 67 Posts

I loooove Z Mode and My Mode. I think the mode selector is the most magical thing about this car. So many customization options. After playing with different settings I've so far settled on completely maxing out Z mode, and for My Mode, I set things more in the middle except for the exhaust/engine sound to max.

That, in combination with the traction control settings and there are endless combinations.

But Z mode maxed out in all settings is so awesome. I usually flip right (clockwise) to sport after Z mode, as I find going from maxed out Z to touring a bit too much of a difference.
Old 08-25-2021, 03:36 PM
popbigguy
Instructor

Received 48 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by rm50
I get this too!! in normal Z mode. When it shifts!! I edit Z mode shift points down one notch on the screen and it quits, but then V4 comes into play (that sucks!).
rm50 (08-25-2021)
Old 08-25-2021, 03:49 PM
NoMatter
Short Lived
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 753 Likes on 384 Posts

Z mode maxed out always. Love pressing Z mode twice (Mag ride) for preselected PTM or selecting what I like based on conditions. Does it so quick.
djkianoosh (08-26-2021)

Quick Reply: Please explain the Z button to me and what can be done with it!