Notices
C8 General Discussion The place to discuss the next generation of Corvette.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

C8 rearview mirror.

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-2021, 03:35 PM
Stangslayer
Racer

Received 75 Likes on 40 Posts
Default C8 rearview mirror.

Is it me or is the rearview mirror camera out of focus? Not digging it at all. Every time I look at the image it takes a second to focus on the image. Not like the information screen that is sharp. I now leave it in normal review mirror mode.

Last edited by Stangslayer; 08-03-2021 at 03:51 PM.
The following users liked this post:
JoelVetteguy (08-03-2021)
Old 08-03-2021, 03:40 PM
smbsocal
Instructor

Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts

Good recent discussion on this: https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...-question.html
Old 08-03-2021, 03:41 PM
proeagles
Melting Slicks

Received 2,197 Likes on 906 Posts

I think it's something you will adjust to. The first time I looked at it felt a little weird like my eyes were doing a double take to comprehend what I was seeing. I adjusted mine so that the picture is pretty close to what the side view mirrors depict regarding distance and size of the object and it made it a lot better. After a full day of driving around Bowling Green I was really comfortable with it.
mmiller (03-06-2022)
Old 08-03-2021, 03:52 PM
RKCRLR
Le Mans Master

Received 6,246 Likes on 3,427 Posts

Originally Posted by Stangslayer
Is it me or is the rearview camera out of focus? Not digging it at all. Every time I look at the image it takes a second to go ion the image. Not like the information screen that is sharp. I now leave it in normal review mirror mode.
It's probably you (your vision to be exact). You can try with some reading glasses to verify. Not a solution but at least you will know if it gets clearer.
I have the same problem but just momentarily switch to the mirror if I want to see something clearer.

Last edited by RKCRLR; 08-03-2021 at 03:55 PM.
C-ATE (08-04-2021)
Old 08-03-2021, 05:44 PM
Red C8 of Jax
Safety Car

Received 1,127 Likes on 760 Posts

If you zoom the camera closer it will help with your focus. Give it a try. My salesman said it will take several weeks to get use to it. I used my reading glasses and it was in focus.
Old 08-03-2021, 06:24 PM
dohabandit
Melting Slicks

Received 1,461 Likes on 812 Posts

It's in CRISP focus, just not for your eyes current focal length since you are looking at things far away.
You will have to get used to focusing NEAR when you look at the mirror.
The following 2 users liked this post by dohabandit:
GTUnit (08-04-2021), JF in MI (08-04-2021)
Old 08-03-2021, 06:25 PM
WalterSobchak
Safety Car

Received 2,902 Likes on 1,049 Posts

It's you. It's been covered to death.
NoMatter (08-04-2021)
Old 08-03-2021, 10:15 PM
MagicGlass
Drifting

Received 1,232 Likes on 554 Posts

Is it me or is the rearview mirror camera out of focus? Not digging it at all. Every time I look at the image it takes a second to focus on the image. Not like the information screen that is sharp. I now leave it in normal review mirror mode.
Oh no it’s not you at all.
GTUnit (08-04-2021)
Old 08-03-2021, 10:31 PM
dgraham329
Intermediate

Received 16 Likes on 8 Posts
Default its your glasses

I had the same experience, out of focus and unclear. eventually I discovered the problem was my trifocal glasses. Now I tilt my head back and drop to the next lens and it sharpens right up.
Old 08-03-2021, 10:35 PM
dgraham329
Intermediate

Received 16 Likes on 8 Posts
Default its your glasses

I had the same experience, out of focus and unclear. eventually I discovered the problem was my trifocal glasses. Now I tilt my head back and drop to the next lens and it sharpens right up.

Old 08-04-2021, 12:49 AM
GTUnit
Burning Brakes

Received 661 Likes on 310 Posts

Old 08-04-2021, 08:06 AM
stvdman
Burning Brakes

Received 725 Likes on 364 Posts

Originally Posted by WalterSobchak
It's you. It's been covered to death.
IT is NOT YOU, it is US! And maybe covered to death but that makes it NO BETTER for "US"

I flip it to a regular mirror all the time. I just cannot get used to it. Honestly disappointed in the execution of this thus far.
Old 08-04-2021, 08:18 AM
Canoejockey
Advanced

Received 38 Likes on 15 Posts

Try to clean the camera lens
Old 08-04-2021, 08:29 AM
JerryU
E-Ray, 3LZ, ZER, LIFT
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 9,671 Likes on 6,661 Posts

NO NEED. You're not taking advantage of the what I think is the best thing since sliced bread and will help keep my 60 year driving record of not having an accident with another car (that and continued luck!) Since 17 I have always been aware all cars around me. Especially as the 1990's SAE tech paper on "defensive driving" said what is MOST important the cars coming up fast who will SOON BE in the blind spots behind your fenders. IMO the "regulator mirror in a C8 coupe has a poor view of the rear (worse than my two C7s which were also poor) where the TV mirror set like your convex passenger mirror gives a wide view of the cars coming up quickly AND you can follow them to your rear bumper!

I Had The Blurry Issue
I had the somewhat blurry vision issue at first. Thought it was the progressive glasses I have used for 35 years as only looking though the center area is perfectly clear for reading, the computer screen and distance, the sides are not in perfect focus. Then realized I had the mirror adjusted as IF it were a real mirror! Changed that to as if I was watching a TV! Easy way to describe is set it as a "real mirror" and adjust it as so you can only see yourself. Your eyes will be perpendicular to the screen. It's as if it were a TV (which it is!) Been perfect for the 11 months I have had my C8.

In another thread, when I made the above suggestion a member who said his was blurry tried it and said it solved his issue! Easy to try!

Yep, attribute my not having an accident with another car in 60 years driving of always knowing where all cars are around me at all times, it's automatic (that and LUCK.) Probably started when I got my license at 17 looking in my center mirror as an instinctive reaction looking for cops!
A 1990s SAE tech paper on defensive driving said following cars from your center mirror who are traveling fast is at least as important as properly adjusting your side mirrors! BUT YOU NEED A WIDE VIEW OF THE REAR. Setting the "TV Mirror" like your passenger side convex mirror gives a very wide view of the rear. Best thing since sliced bread for rear visibility.
(Note I also have my iPhone set NOT to receive calls or text beeps when moving. I don't use by cell phone when driving the C8- have enough to do looking out for distracted drivers who are! )

Last edited by JerryU; 08-04-2021 at 08:45 AM.
68roadster (08-04-2021)
Old 08-04-2021, 08:44 AM
FighterpilotF15
Advanced

Received 24 Likes on 17 Posts

Agreed! I also prefer instant visual cues. We should get GM to upgrade the rearview mirror camera like the information screen for 2022.
Old 08-04-2021, 08:57 AM
FighterpilotF15
Advanced

Received 24 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by JerryU
NO NEED. You're not taking advantage of the what I think is the best thing since sliced bread and will help keep my 60 year driving record of not having an accident with another car (that and continued luck!) Since 17 I have always been aware all cars around me. Especially as the 1990's SAE tech paper on "defensive driving" said what is MOST important the cars coming up fast who will SOON BE in the blind spots behind your fenders. IMO the "regulator mirror in a C8 coupe has a poor view of the rear (worse than my two C7s which were also poor) where the TV mirror set like your convex passenger mirror gives a wide view of the cars coming up quickly AND you can follow them to your rear bumper!

I Had The Blurry Issue
I had the somewhat blurry vision issue at first. Thought it was the progressive glasses I have used for 35 years as only looking though the center area is perfectly clear for reading, the computer screen and distance, the sides are not in perfect focus. Then realized I had the mirror adjusted as IF it were a real mirror! Changed that to as if I was watching a TV! Easy way to describe is set it as a "real mirror" and adjust it as so you can only see yourself. Your eyes will be perpendicular to the screen. It's as if it were a TV (which it is!) Been perfect for the 11 months I have had my C8.

In another thread, when I made the above suggestion a member who said his was blurry tried it and said it solved his issue! Easy to try!

Yep, attribute my not having an accident with another car in 60 years driving of always knowing where all cars are around me at all times, it's automatic (that and LUCK.) Probably started when I got my license at 17 looking in my center mirror as an instinctive reaction looking for cops!
A 1990s SAE tech paper on defensive driving said following cars from your center mirror who are traveling fast is at least as important as properly adjusting your side mirrors! BUT YOU NEED A WIDE VIEW OF THE REAR. Setting the "TV Mirror" like your passenger side convex mirror gives a very wide view of the rear. Best thing since sliced bread for rear visibility.
(Note I also have my iPhone set NOT to receive calls or text beeps when moving. I don't use by cell phone when driving the C8- have enough to do looking out for distracted drivers who are! )

I should have read all the post before I made any judgements. I just picked up my C8 last week and will take your advice and hope it provides me a better view for safety. My 47 yr aviation career drilled 360 degrees of situational awareness (SA) into my psyche.
JerryU (08-04-2021)
Old 08-04-2021, 09:04 AM
68roadster
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 167 Likes on 104 Posts

I have progressive lens glasses. After about 2 days I adjusted to it and really like it better than any other rear view mirror I have seen. I did fiddle with the magnification and tilt a bit.
JerryU (08-04-2021)

Get notified of new replies

To C8 rearview mirror.

Old 08-04-2021, 09:23 AM
JerryU
E-Ray, 3LZ, ZER, LIFT
Support Corvetteforum!

^^^
I recall when I started to wear progressive lens ~35 years ago, a colleague said put them on as soon as you wake up and don't take them off until you go to bed! he was right, even though I need little correction for distance I do that. Recall when first going down steps and even walking through Lowes between high isles was getting dizzy! Brain has to learn to turn your head! Which it does if you give it time! Did have to adjust my putting stance!

In the Sunny South (live in NE SC) I have frameless titanium frame, progressive transitions that today are perfectly clear indoors and great sun glasses outdoors. Would not wear anything else! Need mostly to read with the center set for my computers. Have no idea where my head it when looking at the "TV Mirror"- BUT MY BRAIN DOES!

Last edited by JerryU; 08-04-2021 at 09:24 AM.
Old 08-04-2021, 09:29 AM
C2 legacy
Instructor

Received 106 Likes on 35 Posts

The only problem I've experienced is that I get some kind of weird reflection that distorts the image if I flip the switch to go from mirror to camera mode. The reflection makes the camera unusable if the top is up under most daytime conditions. To eliminate this, all I have to do is tilt the mirror toward the ceiling when using camera view....this totally eliminates the reflection distortion.

Only downside is I have to manually adjust the mirror back and forth when I go back and forth from top up and down.
Old 08-04-2021, 09:58 AM
JerryU
E-Ray, 3LZ, ZER, LIFT
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by C2 legacy
The only problem I've experienced is that I get some kind of weird reflection that distorts the image if I flip the switch to go from mirror to camera mode. The reflection makes the camera unusable if the top is up under most daytime conditions. To eliminate this, all I have to do is tilt the mirror toward the ceiling when using camera view....this totally eliminates the reflection distortion.

Only downside is I have to manually adjust the mirror back and forth when I go back and forth from top up and down.
Yep I found I did get a glare BUT where you tilted it UP I tilted it down as I mentioned so with it set as a "real mirror" you see yourself. Glare also whet away!

Quick Reply: C8 rearview mirror.