Notices
C8 General Discussion The place to discuss the next generation of Corvette.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2020 C8 "Great Concern"

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-2021, 10:35 AM
acroy
Le Mans Master

Received 1,437 Likes on 863 Posts

Originally Posted by Carrot Top
The "Great Concern" is no one takes accountability anymore...
This

It's a dangerous machine. treat it as such.
Old 08-02-2021, 10:48 AM
kcops
Instructor

Received 52 Likes on 32 Posts

I'm curious now and will try to see if my BMWs perform in such fashion. For me, it is an automatically procedure to put the car in park and enable the parking break. No need to think about it. Maybe something you get used to from driving stick and having to put the car in neutral, and doing the parking break. Yes, it is unfortunate what happened and driving a sports car requires some level of expertise and maturity. But there is always a Tesla and other cars that can fit what is required from some. Hope it was not a total loss and it can be fixed. And no one was hurt other than feelings. And those manuals - has anyone noticed how many people really read the manual?
Old 08-02-2021, 11:08 AM
cj2driver
Racer

Received 229 Likes on 112 Posts

Repeat every time you exit the car, “Park, brakes, off”. Analog works every time and requires no chips. 😎
The following users liked this post:
C82021 (08-03-2021)
Old 08-02-2021, 11:14 AM
Blade2382
Pro

Received 403 Likes on 207 Posts
Modified C8 of the Year 2021 Finalist

OP's thought process reminds me of my HS Physics teacher telling us once "Humor is tragedy observed from afar"

His thought process is a tragedy. And I am most certainly laughing.
Old 08-02-2021, 11:31 AM
WalterSobchak
Safety Car

Received 2,901 Likes on 1,048 Posts

If you shut the car off even it puts it into "Park". So really there are two ways to put in park, but shutting the car off of the most important! I'm not buying it's the cars fault when you leave it running and do not put it in Park. Thirdly I don't know how entering or exiting a vehicle one hits the accelerator pedal? I'm sorry this happened to you OP and it will get fixed. Hopefully every one who watches learns a lesson over bad habits.

Last edited by WalterSobchak; 08-02-2021 at 11:35 AM.
The following users liked this post:
GTUnit (08-02-2021)
Old 08-02-2021, 11:32 AM
greenshark68
Advanced

Received 18 Likes on 11 Posts

I accidentally shut the car off before putting it in park once and it got me to thinking I needed to understand the controls layout a little better. Now I set the E-Brake every time I shut it off, just like my manual transmission cars.

In my opinion, the E-brake button is not in the best location, in the far left under the dashboard. (This is where the old parking foot brake was, like in my truck.). My wife’s Cayenne has the E-brake next to the shifter, and it has a little red light on it as an indicator that the parking brake has been set. GM should consider relocating the E-brake button to a more convenient location on the console in the drivers line of sight.

Hope your C8 is repaired soon and glad there were no injuries.
Old 08-02-2021, 11:34 AM
Zymurgy

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 15,126 Likes on 6,194 Posts

Originally Posted by greenshark68;1603815354[color=#e74c3c
]I accidentally shut the car off before putting it in park once [/color]and it got me to thinking I needed to understand the controls layout a little better. Now I set the E-Brake every time I shut it off, just like my manual transmission cars.

In my opinion, the E-brake button is not in the best location, in the far left under the dashboard. (This is where the old parking foot brake was, like in my truck.). My wife’s Cayenne has the E-brake next to the shifter, and it has a little red light on it as an indicator that the parking brake has been set. GM should consider relocating the E-brake button to a more convenient location on the console in the drivers line of sight.

Hope your C8 is repaired soon and glad there were no injuries.
No problem, it puts it into Park for you if you do this.
Old 08-02-2021, 11:42 AM
greenshark68
Advanced

Received 18 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Zymurgy
No problem, it puts it into Park for you if you do this.
That’s what happened. So there is a safety interlock that GM has built into the car to avoid accidents similar to the OP accident. So if you can’t remember anything, SHUT THE ENGINE OFF BEFORE EXITING THE CAR!!!
Old 08-02-2021, 11:48 AM
Majestic94
Safety Car

Received 1,913 Likes on 1,020 Posts

Talk about embarrassing. Last thing I would do is tell the internet about it.
The following 2 users liked this post by Majestic94:
Bendog (08-06-2021), brAnd7onX (08-03-2021)
Old 08-02-2021, 11:49 AM
GTUnit
Burning Brakes

Received 660 Likes on 310 Posts

My RAM had a "safety recall" where they programmed the transmission with this stupid function of, literally, throwing the transmission into park if the truck is MOVING while the door is open. I hate this. An audible and screen warning would have made more sense.
Old 08-02-2021, 11:55 AM
Losbot
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 430 Likes on 246 Posts

Originally Posted by cesarcano06
I agreed with you, however, "too many safety nannies in the world for me", in my opinion it is your one thought. Nonetheless, it doesn't fix a safety hazard or a great concern on Corvette. The world has change and the technology as well... Thank you, Hornetball. I appreciated your response.
Sorry but it's not just one person's thought. There is no safety hazard here, as the car performed exactly as expected. You could have been distracted and wanted to get out of the car, forgetting to set it in park and shut it off.

It's human error but there's also personal accountability, which society seems to be trying to get away from. Somehow people want the blame shifted on to someone else, for their shortcomings or laziness. If the Corvette does not have some "nanny" feature which compensates for one's laziness or ineptness, which you feel you should have, then the Corvette (or pretty much any high performance vehicle) is clearly not something you should drive.

Not trying to knock you down. What happened sucks and I sympathize but I purchased my Corvette, knowing it's not a BMW, Jag, Audi or other car with "nanny" features. Even with these features, I could still get out of my Audi with a running engine and it'll roll away. People forget you have a certain responsibility to safety while operating a multi-thousand pound machine on the road.
Old 08-02-2021, 12:21 PM
Big Lebowski
Le Mans Master

Received 4,031 Likes on 1,696 Posts

I'm sorry this happened, but sounds like driver error (not trying to rub salt in the wound). Unfortunately, its not going to be a matter of just buy another one with the current supply constraints due to the pandemic, you are looking at being wtihout for 9-12 months. On the bright side, it could have ended worse, as the something similar happened to the actor from the more recent Star Trek movies...and hence why this is standard on all Jeeps to lock out Drive when a door opens.

https://money.cnn.com/2016/06/20/aut...hin/index.html
Old 08-02-2021, 12:43 PM
AceG
Burning Brakes

Received 412 Likes on 206 Posts

Lmao. I feel like this is just from fustration which i totally get but comon, had you not crashed you wouldnt have made this thread even learning this "bmw feature"
Old 08-02-2021, 12:51 PM
Shodanusmc
Burning Brakes

Received 133 Likes on 91 Posts

Have 2 BMW’s and going to have to test this out in a safe place. Never knew it existed. Then again my car is always in Park with engine off before I exit. Sorry it happened to you. Bet it never happens again. Don’t look like the car was totaled but it could be.
Old 08-02-2021, 12:51 PM
Blade2382
Pro

Received 403 Likes on 207 Posts
Modified C8 of the Year 2021 Finalist

Originally Posted by greenshark68

I do agree with this, it is one of the nitpick feedback I listed in my post 500 mile thread. On my old Camaro the EPB was right next to the shifter, really easy to access and set up a cadence of hitting it once I turned off the car. I have gotten used to the new layout, but more of a convenience ask for me.
Old 08-02-2021, 12:57 PM
Amoreloba
Drifting

Received 2,543 Likes on 902 Posts

Here’s a suggestion op, put the car in park before you step out. This has been the standard for vehicles since the first model T rolled off the assembly line. Not sure why anyone would ever ignore that basic vehicle operation concept.
Old 08-02-2021, 01:09 PM
Mike's LS3
Safety Car

Received 736 Likes on 475 Posts

Originally Posted by Zymurgy
Totally driver error. Certainly not a "great concern". I've been driving for 54 years and have never done what you did and I've never had a car with this so called "safety feature".

An unfortunate accident and glad there were no injuries, but the entire blame and responsibility goes to the driver and not point fingers at GM or C8. I agree not a "great concern".

I do have a BMW with the open door in drive safety feature. I'm all for safety and glad it's there, but the safety feature has never activated, unless I purposely did so out of curiousity.

Last edited by Mike's LS3; 08-02-2021 at 01:15 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To 2020 C8 "Great Concern"

Old 08-02-2021, 01:20 PM
2016SGZ51
Instructor

Received 37 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by Phil1098
Honestly, you should always put the car in park if you are getting out of it. I also set the parking brake before I put it in park so the load of the car rests on the brake and NOT the transmission. The fact the car moved when you pressed on the gas while in gear, pretty much says it performed as designed. I hate German cars that won't move with the door open, my wife has a 2020 Jetta that if I want to check door opening clearance and need to back up a few inches, as soon as the door opens it goes into park. Pisses me off, too many safety nannies in the world for me, operating equipment should require thought.
I totally agree with Phil and most of the other replies on this one.....
My wife's Acura will stop immediately if a door is open while in drive or reverse...I absolutely hate that nanny feature.
Over the years I have acquired a very complete set of extra tools by stopping in the middle of the road (when safe to do so of course) to pick up a stray hammer, pliers, wrench, bunjee cords, etc etc, that some dufus left on the roof or tailgate of his car or truck. Just keep my eye on the road, right foot on the brake, crack the door open slightly and pick up a new free tool!
Before you criticize, think of the added safety benefit in that the previously stray object will now not be flung into another passing car's windshield when run over by the next dufus who is texting or yakking on their cell phone...

Can't do that in the Acura...now I'll have to use my hard-earned money when I want more tools...lol

PS
That was a pretty blue car.
I'm glad you did not kill some poor pedestrian who just happened to be walking in front of you.

Last edited by 2016SGZ51; 08-02-2021 at 01:26 PM.
Old 08-02-2021, 01:31 PM
plmmd
Burning Brakes

Received 847 Likes on 365 Posts

Curious as to why the air bags didnt blow- looks substantial enough at the front quarter to justify a delpoyment
Old 08-02-2021, 01:34 PM
Vetteman Jack
Administrator

Support Corvetteforum!

Location: In a parallel universe. Currently own 2014 Stingray Coupe.
Received 19,447 Likes on 14,053 Posts
C7 of the Year - Modified Finalist 2021
MO Events Coordinator
St. Jude Co-Organizer
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-
'20-'21-'22-'23-'24
NCM Sinkhole Donor
CI 5, 8 & 11 Veteran

Sorry that this has resulted in your C8 being damaged, but I have to agree that this is not the car’s fault. Anytime you get out of a vehicle with the engine running, put the tranny in park (if an automatic) and then do whatever you were going to do. I do not need some nanny safety feature to do this simple, common sense thing.

Best of luck getting your car repaired.

Quick Reply: 2020 C8 "Great Concern"