Notices
C8 General Discussion The place to discuss the next generation of Corvette.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Z51 ELSD vs non Z51 LSD

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-2023, 12:11 AM
JCtx
Melting Slicks

Received 103 Likes on 71 Posts

Hey gang, brought this old thread up to see if somebody knows for certain what type of LSD the regular C8 has, since it wasn't mentioned when somebody asked here. So is it a clutch-type, or Torsen? Hopefully the latter, but I suspect the former. I don't want any electronic trickery myself, plus need A/S tires, and will never track the car, so I'll get a non-Z51. But want to know what kind of LSD it comes with. Figured it was better to resurrect a relevant old thread, rather than starting a new one, but let me know for next time. Thank you.
Old 12-06-2023, 09:21 AM
BJ67
Melting Slicks

Received 591 Likes on 372 Posts

Originally Posted by JCtx
Hey gang, brought this old thread up to see if somebody knows for certain what type of LSD the regular C8 has, since it wasn't mentioned when somebody asked here. So is it a clutch-type, or Torsen? Hopefully the latter, but I suspect the former. I don't want any electronic trickery myself, plus need A/S tires, and will never track the car, so I'll get a non-Z51. But want to know what kind of LSD it comes with. Figured it was better to resurrect a relevant old thread, rather than starting a new one, but let me know for next time. Thank you.
I would think its a clutch type limited slip.
Old 12-06-2023, 09:53 AM
RKCRLR
Le Mans Master

Received 6,190 Likes on 3,396 Posts

Standard mechanical LSD with clutch plates.
The following users liked this post:
Phil1098 (12-06-2023)
Old 12-06-2023, 10:00 AM
BJ67
Melting Slicks

Received 591 Likes on 372 Posts

Originally Posted by RKCRLR
They are rugged and trouble free
Old 12-06-2023, 10:08 AM
Korbek
Melting Slicks

Received 2,025 Likes on 835 Posts

I live in a rural, mountainous area. A road I drive on daily has sharp left hand turn on a steep upward grade that opens up to a one of the few passing lanes on the road. When I start my pass I may be going ~20 MPH while turning left to finish the curve plus getting around the car in front then turning right to straighten out, all while accelerating. The C8 Stingray has ample power to break loose under these conditions if too much power is applied.
Ive done a lot of passing in the C8 on a curve, and unless truly stupid amounts of throttle in low gear are applied, it didnt break loose even without the Z51's ELSD.

I find the base C8 far more than enough for literally any sane driving scenario on public roads.
Bald Guy (02-14-2024)
Old 12-06-2023, 10:50 AM
RKCRLR
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by Korbek
Ive done a lot of passing in the C8 on a curve, and unless truly stupid amounts of throttle in low gear are applied, it didnt break loose even without the Z51's ELSD.

I find the base C8 far more than enough for literally any sane driving scenario on public roads.
See post #5 for a listing of benefits on the street. The eLSD just provides slightly more capability and stability in certain street conditions. I understand that may not be of value to everyone and some may prioritize less complexity.

Here is another document that lists the advantages of eLSD:
https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/tsbs/20...83145-9999.pdf

• Driving straight down the road - The eLSD system
will have a bit of coupling to add stability and
on-center steering feel
. This will be a relatively
small amount (around 10% - 15%) and the number
will decrease slightly when making a lane change
or other steering input.
• When applying the throttle - The system will
increase the coupling under heavy throttle. The
driver may see around 40 - 50% coupling under
heavy acceleration in a track setting. This is to
maximize rear traction while cornering, while still
maintaining the feel of how the car handles
throughout the turn.

• Extreme lane changes and slalom events -
The largest coupling will occur during the most
aggressive dynamic maneuvers. The eLSD
clutches will nearly lock (100%) to add stability at
the right moment but open back up to allow the
vehicle to steer through a double lane change at
precisely the right times.

• Winter driving - If the vehicle is being driven in the
winter (being equipped with the appropriate tires),
and the driver is attempting to accelerate from a
stop with one wheel on ice and the other on dry
pavement, he or she will notice that the clutch
torque will increase on the DIC as a result of the
single wheel slipping. This will transfer torque to
the wheel with more available traction so that the
vehicle will accelerate smoothly.

Some will say that this is just marketing or that magazines just say things like this to get readership. But when they align with my own experiences I tend to go with them over posts on social media.
The following 2 users liked this post by RKCRLR:
kromdom (12-06-2023), tadda (12-06-2023)
Old 12-06-2023, 11:28 AM
EvanZR1
Le Mans Master

Received 2,289 Likes on 1,197 Posts
2020 Corvette of the Year Finalist (performance mods)
C4 of Year Winner (performance mods) 2019

...I don't want any electronic trickery myself, plus need A/S tires, and will never track the car, so I'll get a non-Z51...
I've got over 8K miles on my non-Z51 Stingray now, and I'm very happy with the regular non-electronic LSD. Very predictable, never does anything you aren't expecting, and as others have said, the midengine design of the C8 tends to minimize the need for an advanced eLSD as the chassis already puts the power down very well. If all you're doing it street use, I wouldn't hesitate to do the non-Z51 C8. Of course, having said that, my Z06 was just built and I'm looking forward to taking delivery on it. But that's more for the 8600 rev limit FPC motor, I'd honestly be happy if I could get a non-Z51 Stingray with that motor.
The following 2 users liked this post by EvanZR1:
Acpantera (12-06-2023), wbear (12-06-2023)
Old 12-06-2023, 11:39 AM
dashotgun
Melting Slicks

Received 509 Likes on 293 Posts

blvd cruiser vs mountin runnerit seems to me. In part for me I know it is there when I want it. is it a wise use of money probably not neither is the car in general. ymmv leave it at that
Old 12-06-2023, 01:32 PM
Phil1098
Race Director

Received 11,607 Likes on 4,638 Posts

If you're driving on the street to the level that an eLSD is going to save you vs. losing it with a mechanical LSD, you're an idiot that will be dead soon anyway. I've driven both cars and it is such a small degree of difference, that the other variables (road surface, conditions, temperatures, etc.) will mask whether it's doing anything for you or not.
The following 5 users liked this post by Phil1098:
Acpantera (12-06-2023), JVi (12-06-2023), Korbek (02-22-2024), Scruff Vette (12-07-2023), wbear (12-06-2023)
Old 12-06-2023, 01:39 PM
RKCRLR
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by Phil1098
If you're driving on the street to the level that an eLSD is going to save you vs. losing it with a mechanical LSD, you're an idiot that will be dead soon anyway. I've driven both cars and it is such a small degree of difference, that the other variables (road surface, conditions, temperatures, etc.) will mask whether it's doing anything for you or not.
While agree with you are saying about driving at the limit on the street, there are instances where you aren't driving in a manner where an eLSD won't make a difference in saving you but still has advantages, and they can be felt.

I've cited multiple sources discussing the advantages of an eLSD on the street, can you cite any sources that say otherwise? (other than social media posts by individuals).
The following 3 users liked this post by RKCRLR:
ATC (02-24-2024), tadda (12-06-2023), winders (12-06-2023)
Old 12-06-2023, 01:42 PM
Phil1098
Race Director

I've cited multiple sources discussing the advantages of an eLSD on the street, can you cite any sources that say otherwise? (other than social media posts by individuals).
Only my own personal experiences. To be fair I tend to be an adaptive type person, I make the most of whatever I'm given and try to make the difference with skill. WAY too many times I've been at a track and have seen skill makes a far bigger difference than mechanical stuff.
Old 12-06-2023, 01:54 PM
RKCRLR
Le Mans Master

Only my own personal experiences. To be fair I tend to be an adaptive type person, I make the most of whatever I'm given and try to make the difference with skill. WAY too many times I've been at a track and have seen skill makes a far bigger difference than mechanical stuff.
Understand, but others (including me) may have different personal experiences.

Last edited by RKCRLR; 12-06-2023 at 02:05 PM.
Old 12-06-2023, 02:04 PM
winders
Burning Brakes

Received 1,195 Likes on 543 Posts

Of course. But now you are comparing apple to oranges. If you put Max Verstappen in a Camry TRD and he beats someone driving a C8 Stingray around Spa , you can't say the Camry TRD is the better car. In other words, you can't use that data for a valid comparison of cars. Put Verstappen in that C8 with the ELSD and run some laps. Then send him out in the same car but with a standard LSD. That gives you some data to make valid comparisons.
Old 12-06-2023, 03:30 PM
JCtx
Melting Slicks

Received 103 Likes on 71 Posts

Originally Posted by EvanZR1
But that's more for the 8600 rev limit FPC motor, I'd honestly be happy if I could get a non-Z51 Stingray with that motor.
Hey, me too. Ha ha. That's my only disappointment of having to spend almost 100 grand with a freaking push-rod engine. It's a very good and powerful one, but sounds agricultural compared to any other modern V8. I'm also getting a 'base' 3LT Vette, with only MRC and NPP. It'd be awesome to have the option to get the Z06 engine, obviously detuned to similar Stingray levels.

That's what I thought, but thank you very much for the confirmation.
The following 2 users liked this post by JCtx:
Acpantera (12-06-2023), RKCRLR (12-06-2023)
Old 12-06-2023, 08:20 PM
Phil1098
Race Director

Originally Posted by winders
Of course. But now you are comparing apple to oranges. If you put Max Verstappen in a Camry TRD and he beats someone driving a C8 Stingray around Spa , you can't say the Camry TRD is the better car. In other words, you can't use that data for a valid comparison of cars. Put Verstappen in that C8 with the ELSD and run some laps. Then send him out in the same car but with a standard LSD. That gives you some data to make valid comparisons.
The problem with your explanation is we aren't talking about a world champion, but regular Joes, and at that point, THEY are the limiting factor, not the car, they get no where near full capability of the car, that's my point. So a slight mechanical improvement makes no difference in the least.
Old 12-06-2023, 09:40 PM
winders
Burning Brakes

Received 1,195 Likes on 543 Posts

The problem with your explanation is we aren't talking about a world champion, but regular Joes, and at that point, THEY are the limiting factor, not the car, they get no where near full capability of the car, that's my point. So a slight mechanical improvement makes no difference in the least.
You miss my point. The only way to compare mechanical differences is to compare them in a way that tests ONLY the mechanical difference. A driver of lesser skill may be used to test a mechanical "improvement" but the results are less reliable and consistent than when testing with a driver of greater skill. There are no perfect drivers so testing will always be somewhat subjective. Even at the F1 level. What worked for one driver may not work for another. Even if those drivers have the same lap times in the same car.
Old 12-06-2023, 09:48 PM
RKCRLR
Le Mans Master

What often seems to get lost is the value of things that only make a difference on the track vs things that can be perceived at less than the limits. Just because something makes a small difference at the limits of the car doesn't mean it doesn't have a benefit when driving at less than the limits.
The following 2 users liked this post by RKCRLR:
tadda (12-06-2023), Zaro Tundov (12-14-2023)

Get notified of new replies

To Z51 ELSD vs non Z51 LSD

Old 12-07-2023, 12:34 AM
MarkMeHopeful
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,551 Likes on 845 Posts
2022 C8 of the Year Finalist - Modified

[QUOTE=Korbek;1603738066]Tried searching for this but couldn't find a clear answer. What EXACTLY is the benefit of the Z51 ELSD vs the standard LSD on the C8? The ELSD would be my main reason for getting the Z51 package, but if the standard LSD is mechanical I feel like that's one less electronic gremlin that might pop up.[QUOTE]

Why would the ELSD be your main reason for getting the Z51 package? You get a lot more than the differential with Z51.
Old 12-07-2023, 01:42 AM
X25
Sr.Random input generator
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,466 Likes on 1,023 Posts

My 2 cents:
eLSD makes the car feel smaller. It opens up the LSD when you're turning, drastically reducing understeer, and locks it back up when you're accelerating out of a turn. There's a reason why C7's handling was so much better than C6, and wowed owners, often being called a sweetheart to drive even when everything is turned off, without the snap oversteer drama of the C6, which was always around the corner if you pushed it beyond its limits.

The same holds for C8. True, we need much less need of traction for acceleration, but it can still understeer like a pig. eLSD and wider front tires can fix it all : )

I'd always get the eLSD. If you're worried about reliability, its track record is actually pretty good so far, and it can theoretically keep the underlying LSD in better condition by using it only when it's right...
The following 3 users liked this post by X25:
JerryU (12-07-2023), RKCRLR (12-07-2023), tadda (12-07-2023)
Old 12-07-2023, 01:59 AM
JerryU
E-Ray, 3LZ, ZER, LIFT
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 9,640 Likes on 6,640 Posts

It's what I refer to as 1960's Positraction! Developed by Dana in the late 1950's and sold to many auto companies who called it various things! The Torsen system does it differently and not common.

I wrote this 10-page PDF after reading a long "Ask Tadge" post about eLSD. He let the engineer who developed the software write most of it. My summary is a lot easier to follow. I put the complete original Forum post at the end but need to read slowly and several times! http://netwelding.com/eLSD_VS_Posi.pdf

Had read eSLD was invented by GM originally for FWD cars to deal with torque steer. had that in spades oin my turbo FWD car!! The engineer Jason Kolk discusses how the Cy Positracton needs to 1st slip and can then produce a maximum 88 ft-lbs locking force while the eSLD produces ~15 time that level of locking force and controls not just when a wheel is slipping. His algorithm is very complex and has many inputs defining which rear wheel gets how much locking force at all times.

I have several references in the appendix. There is an hour video by a Professor Kelly who takes ~6 Positraction apart showing how they work. That includes a Torsen. Another video shows graphically what I had called "sloppy spider gears" that make Posi work! They are not sloppy but the lateral force on the 90-degree spider gears is what loads the clutch packs in that old Posi design used in the Base C8!
Zaro Tundov (12-13-2023)

Quick Reply: Z51 ELSD vs non Z51 LSD