Notices
C8 General Discussion The place to discuss the next generation of Corvette.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Engine bay lights using visor controls

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-2021, 10:09 AM
RT82
Advanced

Received 62 Likes on 29 Posts
Default Engine bay lights using visor controls

This is not my idea but it's an easy way to not have, in my opinion tacky bright LED lights that overwhelm the engine bay. I discovered this idea on Facebook on how to wire OEM Engine Bay lights to visor garage door openers. I did this and it works great, After my install I sent a thank you to Gilbert Hernandez thanking him for the post. Sorry I do not have pics. I already had OEM Engine Bay lights installed so all I had to do is order the device mentioned in the post ($16.00 on Amazon, link below) pull off the left side panel behind the drivers side and splice the device wires into the wiring harness, then program the visor buttons. Pics and instructions are on Facebook. He describes how to install and wire OEM lights if not already installed. If you already have OEM lights it's simple, the device has black ground wires and red for power. I wired the red wire and ground wire from the device into the main harness going to the rear engine LED lights. This is a very easy way to light the engine bay by just pressing the visor or remote buttons. OEM lights obviously are not overbearing, it looks great when the car is parked during dark hours. This is the link: https://www.facebook.com/groups/C8.C...4543303216575/.....
Device link:
Amazon Amazon
The following 5 users liked this post by RT82:
Aviator (07-16-2021), C8gman (07-19-2021), dohabandit (07-19-2021), Stingbill (07-16-2021), ZaXxon (07-16-2021)
Old 07-19-2021, 02:32 PM
RT82
Advanced

If you do this, the long panel next to the driver's seat has a large wiring harness connection, this connection is horizontal, this is the harness that has the wire going to the OEM bay lights. It has black wires that are ground and I think....... the wire color going to the OEM lights was purple and white. Easy to check with a multimeter. All I did, some will disagree, was to soldier the wire ends from the module and insert them in the connector, then taped so they wouldn't move. Hope this helps for those that want to do this.
The following users liked this post:
GPFboyJS (07-19-2021)
Old 07-19-2021, 11:26 PM
C8gman
Racer

Received 70 Likes on 40 Posts

Thanks for the props! I was just discussing my install at our Corvette Invasion Car Show in Texas this past weekend with a fellow C8 owner. Glad to see someone else went the more OEM route and using the Homelink visor buttons so as to have a method for control without needing a remote inside the car itself.

Gilbert
Old 07-19-2021, 11:45 PM
dohabandit
Melting Slicks

Received 1,442 Likes on 803 Posts

I didn't get the OEM engine lights option. I wonder if the wiring harness is still routed though? or if that +12v lead is removed?
Old 07-20-2021, 12:00 AM
Raz0r
Pro

Received 341 Likes on 173 Posts

Originally Posted by RT82
This is not my idea but it's an easy way to not have, in my opinion tacky bright LED lights that overwhelm the engine bay. I discovered this idea on Facebook on how to wire OEM Engine Bay lights to visor garage door openers. I did this and it works great, After my install I sent a thank you to Gilbert Hernandez thanking him for the post. Sorry I do not have pics. I already had OEM Engine Bay lights installed so all I had to do is order the device mentioned in the post ($16.00 on Amazon, link below) pull off the left side panel behind the drivers side and splice the device wires into the wiring harness, then program the visor buttons. Pics and instructions are on Facebook. He describes how to install and wire OEM lights if not already installed. If you already have OEM lights it's simple, the device has black ground wires and red for power. I wired the red wire and ground wire from the device into the main harness going to the rear engine LED lights. This is a very easy way to light the engine bay by just pressing the visor or remote buttons. OEM lights obviously are not overbearing, it looks great when the car is parked during dark hours. This is the link: https://www.facebook.com/groups/C8.C...4543303216575/.....
Device link: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
There is a similar product from PowerLabs that ties into your rear defroster. Simple install like this as well. Good to see there are other options coming around now for everyone.
Old 07-21-2021, 07:44 AM
RT82
Advanced

I actually ordered the product from Power Labs, I did not feel comfortable using the rear defroster to turn on the Bay LED lights, also, I believe the defroster times out after 10 minutes. No big power draw using the visor controls or the remote that comes with the device. I turned on and off the OEM LED lights from about 75 feet away using the remote.

Get notified of new replies

To Engine bay lights using visor controls

Quick Reply: Engine bay lights using visor controls