Notices
C8 General Discussion The place to discuss the next generation of Corvette.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Windshield

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-2021, 12:52 PM
nc_cali
Advanced
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 62 Likes on 19 Posts
Default Windshield

A rock just did my windshield in. Dealership and glass company do not have an idea on how long it will take to receive one. Has anyone else had this unfortunate occurrence and how long did it take for the windshield?

Thank you in advance.

Last edited by nc_cali; 06-18-2021 at 12:53 PM.
Old 06-18-2021, 02:42 PM
Phanni
Le Mans Master

Received 1,731 Likes on 847 Posts

I had my C-7 windshield replaced by Safelite, no problems.
Old 06-18-2021, 03:03 PM
speedlink
Safety Car

Received 599 Likes on 373 Posts

Originally Posted by Phanni
I had my C-7 windshield replaced by Safelite, no problems.
That's not the question. A C8 windshield will be harder to come by. Safelite needs to be told OEM glass only! Their typical glass they use is not good. Plus the OP needs to make sure they use the proper glass for the HUD.
The following 3 users liked this post by speedlink:
Avanti (06-20-2021), MIREDVET (07-24-2021), Rabbi (06-20-2021)
Old 06-18-2021, 03:39 PM
nc_cali
Advanced
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 62 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by nc_cali
A rock just did my windshield in. Dealership and glass company do not have an idea on how long it will take to receive one. Has anyone else had this unfortunate occurrence and how long did it take for the windshield?

Thank you in advance.
It is HUD. They just called back said they are working with Chevrolet but not to expect one within the month. Told me I can drive it, but why drive a beauty with a scar? 4600 miles in 4 months, guess I was pushing my luck. I'm just glad it did not hit the bodywork. Going to miss this entertainment, back to the golf course.
Old 06-18-2021, 06:12 PM
Greg00Coupe
Race Director

Received 2,000 Likes on 1,150 Posts

Research exo shield while you wait.
The following users liked this post:
nc_cali (06-18-2021)
Old 06-18-2021, 07:16 PM
heisnuts
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 457 Likes on 208 Posts

I would imagine right now there are no aftermarket windshields made for the C8 yet (since the car is relativity new and there is not enough demand to warrant developing an aftermarket glass so soon), so that would mean every replacement is an OEM right now. From what I hear all the dealers are about a month out right now because parts are so hard to come by.
Old 06-18-2021, 07:18 PM
NextOne
Melting Slicks

Received 1,046 Likes on 645 Posts

Thank you in advance.
​​​​​​
@nc_cali
Well I can speak from experience, and you're not the first. My windshield was replaced by the dealer because of two horizontal scratches in the passenger side line of sight. It took exactly 21 days for the OEM replacement to arrive, including time for the dealer to obtain GM warranty approval.

My 2020 car, produced 12/10/20, came with Zora's photo in the glass. I was a little concerned the replacement would not, but it did.

The install was done by a seperate local body shop on April 1st. The shop owner did the work personally, taking about three hours. He didn't encounter any unusual issues, but said he took his time since it was their first C8 windshield. I was very pleased with the work and have had no issues since.

Here are a few photos of the work in progress.

Replacement glass

A-pillar covers must be removed.

The following 2 users liked this post by NextOne:
joemessman (07-23-2021), nc_cali (06-18-2021)
Old 06-18-2021, 09:13 PM
Day11
Racer

Received 182 Likes on 89 Posts

I’m already at the 21 day point with no replacement. Not sure why it would take so long but here we sit.
nc_cali (06-18-2021)
Old 06-18-2021, 11:13 PM
Gator1969
Instructor

Received 67 Likes on 41 Posts

Zora's photo in the glass? I haven't heard about that. Where on the windshield? How big?
Old 06-19-2021, 01:49 AM
bluan
Pro

Received 590 Likes on 205 Posts

Originally Posted by Gator1969
Zora's photo in the glass? I haven't heard about that. Where on the windshield? How big?
This is an old news.... it started in late 2020 models around Oct. 2020 time frame, and in addition to the Zora's head image, there's also a "Team Corvette" text as well - see news articles here and here. My Z51 HTC was produced in Sept. of 2020 and it doesn't have these.
Old 06-19-2021, 09:24 AM
proeagles
Melting Slicks

Received 2,169 Likes on 900 Posts

My baby has 2K miles and got a stone chip Friday. Safelite repaired it so well my wife couldn't find it until I pointed it out to her. It was the size of a quarter. Got to admit I want to replace the windshield but will hold off. My dealer quoted me $726 for a OEM windshield plus installation. Safelite said they could get one or just get it from my dealer. Dealer had no idea how long but guessed 3 weeks.
nc_cali (06-19-2021)
Old 06-19-2021, 09:42 AM
NextOne
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by proeagles
My baby has 2K miles and got a stone chip Friday. Safelite repaired it so well my wife couldn't find it until I pointed it out to her. It was the size of a quarter. Got to admit I want to replace the windshield but will hold off. My dealer quoted me $726 for a OEM windshield plus installation. Safelite said they could get one or just get it from my dealer. Dealer had no idea how long but guessed 3 weeks.
Wow, the size of a quarter and you're satisfied? I'd like to see some photos. Safelite tried this on one of my cars before, and I wasn't happy. Fortunately, the cost was applied to the replacement.
Old 06-19-2021, 09:46 AM
ZEEEE06
Safety Car

Location: PERCUSSIVE MAINTENANCE: The art of whacking the crap out of an electronic device to get it to work.
Received 744 Likes on 294 Posts

Corvettes need gorilla glass windshields like the new Jeep Wrangler and Gladiator are getting as an option.
Old 06-20-2021, 12:17 AM
greenshark68
Advanced

Received 18 Likes on 11 Posts

Dealer replaced my windshield as aftermarket windshield was not available. Cost was $776.77 with tax and $100 for labor to install it. Ordered first windshield on May 17 but it arrived with a chip on the edge so it was returned and another was ordered. The windshield was finally replaced on June 9. Had the first windshield arrived without damage the time from order to install would have been May 28, 11 days from ordering windshield.
There is a dull smudge in the center of the windshield that I can’t rub off with cleaner. It is barely visible. Is there something I can use to polish the outside glass?
Old 06-20-2021, 08:47 AM
Grey
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 555 Likes on 304 Posts

Cerium Oxide, if it seems serious. Mix small amount with water into a liquid paste state, foam pad on buffer. Warning, it's a glass polishing agent and is very light when dry. Air floats very easy, wear a mask while mixing and using. After wash windshield and area several times.

Might start with Bars Keep, cheap simple before you get all involved with buffers.
Old 06-20-2021, 09:53 AM
Grey
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 555 Likes on 304 Posts

Couple side notes, C Oxide is very fine. If that is the route you go, I'd place a couple old towels at the bottom of the windscreen, tape that up to windscreen. Try to avoid the stuff running down into small gaps and plastic. Just going to make your life easier, less mess.

Also double check, are the new windscreens still good old glass, Glass you can polish, but dont get to aggressive you don't want to create an optical distortion. I'm sure there are some vids that will help.
Old 06-20-2021, 12:38 PM
proeagles
Melting Slicks

Received 2,169 Likes on 900 Posts

Originally Posted by NextOne
Wow, the size of a quarter and you're satisfied? I'd like to see some photos. Safelite tried this on one of my cars before, and I wasn't happy. Fortunately, the cost was applied to the replacement.
Keep in mind this is a star like burst. The actual ding was probably the size of a pencil eraser or smaller. The only thing visible now is a small cloudy spot where the rock hit and you have to look hard to even see it from the outside. Sadly if you are a passenger, you can see easily because it is right in the sight line. I will probably replace the windshield at some point but I'm satisfied enough to live with it for now. I've lived in Louisiana for only 6 years and I've had 5 stone chips fixed in 5 different cars. I'm 72 years old and have had probably 8 windshield repairs in my whole life. I'm not anxious to spend a bunch of money on another windshield just yet as you never know when the next rock will hit your car in this damn state.

Last edited by proeagles; 06-20-2021 at 12:39 PM. Reason: Correction

Get notified of new replies

To Windshield

Old 06-20-2021, 02:23 PM
NextOne
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by proeagles
Keep in mind this is a star like burst. The actual ding was probably the size of a pencil eraser or smaller. The only thing visible now is a small cloudy spot where the rock hit and you have to look hard to even see it from the outside. Sadly if you are a passenger, you can see easily because it is right in the sight line. I will probably replace the windshield at some point but I'm satisfied enough to live with it for now. I've lived in Louisiana for only 6 years and I've had 5 stone chips fixed in 5 different cars. I'm 72 years old and have had probably 8 windshield repairs in my whole life. I'm not anxious to spend a bunch of money on another windshield just yet as you never know when the next rock will hit your car in this damn state.
Understood. I've been driving for over 40 years and didn't have my first rock hit until 5 years ago on a one-year old car. 10 weeks later, it happened again! Fortunately, insurance paid for both with a $0 deductible and no premium increase. As we know, auto insurance laws (and road hazards) vary by state.
Old 06-20-2021, 02:58 PM
Eating Tires
Instructor

Received 92 Likes on 57 Posts
Default just had mine replaced a couple months ago

Thank you in advance.
Call Jud Kuhn in Little river SC, ask for the parts manager. He already dealt with GM to get me a new windshield. Its a bear. The windshield wasn't available to even order for 1LT...2/3LT was available to order. I have a 1LT so I was SOL. took a month or so, GM probably got tired of hearing from multiple dealers and aftermarket glass companies aboutt the orange C8 in SC!!! They finally responded from GM with like a private part number for the dealer to place that one order.

I am actually wondering if the windshield is what is holding up the C8 production?!?

Last edited by Eating Tires; 06-20-2021 at 03:00 PM.
Old 06-20-2021, 05:26 PM
Avanti
Race Director

Received 5,249 Likes on 3,479 Posts

Sorry to here, but happens to many of us. Stick with the GM replacement, even if Safelite installed... unless they remain "unobtainable." All the best.
nc_cali (06-20-2021)

Quick Reply: Windshield