Notices
C8 General Discussion The place to discuss the next generation of Corvette.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Windshield

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2021, 07:17 PM
midengine
Racer

Received 203 Likes on 95 Posts

I had a scratch in mine from the factory. Took the dealership about a week to secure one and a day to install. This was in Canada last April 2020.

Last edited by midengine; 06-21-2021 at 07:17 PM.
Old 06-21-2021, 10:40 PM
GCD1962
Race Director

Received 162 Likes on 123 Posts

Originally Posted by greenshark68
Dealer replaced my windshield as aftermarket windshield was not available. Cost was $776.77 with tax and $100 for labor to install it. Ordered first windshield on May 17 but it arrived with a chip on the edge so it was returned and another was ordered. The windshield was finally replaced on June 9. Had the first windshield arrived without damage the time from order to install would have been May 28, 11 days from ordering windshield.
There is a dull smudge in the center of the windshield that I can’t rub off with cleaner. It is barely visible. Is there something I can use to polish the outside glass?
Most insurance policies cover glass damage, so why did you pay ?
Old 06-21-2021, 11:05 PM
Vetteman Jack
Administrator

Support Corvetteforum!

Location: In a parallel universe. Currently own 2014 Stingray Coupe.
Received 19,450 Likes on 14,054 Posts
C7 of the Year - Modified Finalist 2021
MO Events Coordinator
St. Jude Co-Organizer
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-
'20-'21-'22-'23-'24
NCM Sinkhole Donor
CI 5, 8 & 11 Veteran

Originally Posted by heisnuts
I would imagine right now there are no aftermarket windshields made for the C8 yet (since the car is relativity new and there is not enough demand to warrant developing an aftermarket glass so soon), so that would mean every replacement is an OEM right now. From what I hear all the dealers are about a month out right now because parts are so hard to come by.
Makes sense. OP - hope your replacement windshield comes in much sooner and no more rock chips happen.
The following users liked this post:
nc_cali (06-21-2021)
Old 06-22-2021, 07:25 PM
greenshark68
Advanced

Received 18 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by GCD1962
Most insurance policies cover glass damage, so why did you pay ?
My insurance would pay to fix a chip with no deductible. This was a replacement due to hail damage and I have a $1000 deductible for comprehensive.
I live in Texas where glass replacement without deductible is not the law as it is in Arizona, Massachusetts,
Connecticut, New York and Minnesota.

Last edited by greenshark68; 06-22-2021 at 08:40 PM.
Old 07-22-2021, 09:54 PM
nc_cali
Advanced
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 62 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by nc_cali
A rock just did my windshield in. Dealership and glass company do not have an idea on how long it will take to receive one. Has anyone else had this unfortunate occurrence and how long did it take for the windshield?

Thank you in advance.

Good and bad news.... After over 4 weeks, the windshield finally arrived at my glass repair shop. The bad news, they sent it back because it was damaged. However, they had warned me of this. In their words, Chevrolet does not know how to package windshields so be ready for one or two to come in damaged. So we will see if it will take another four weeks. Glad I decided to get over the trashy look of a cracked windshield and just keep driving it.
Old 07-22-2021, 10:07 PM
Day11
Racer

Received 182 Likes on 89 Posts

I have yet to receive my new windshield. It has been 8 weeks!!! Mine is broken so I haven't had the car on the road since May 16th.
Old 07-22-2021, 10:54 PM
NextOne
Melting Slicks

Received 1,046 Likes on 645 Posts

Originally Posted by Day11
I have yet to receive my new windshield. It has been 8 weeks!!! Mine is broken so I haven't had the car on the road since May 16th.
At this point, I'd think someone has lost your order.
Old 07-23-2021, 12:14 AM
PurpleLion
Burning Brakes

Received 857 Likes on 392 Posts

Just the other day I heard the dreaded rock to windshield sound. That sound is unmistakable. I haven't actually looked for any damage, but I haven't seen anything either. Hopefully the angle of our windshields will help to minimize damage. Sucks when it happens. I don't have any PPF on my car as I don't think that it is worth the cost or potential paint damage during the install process. However, perhaps PPFing the windshield is a good idea.

Does anyone know how much damage protection a PPFed windshield provides?

Just found this on a Lambo forum. Maybe PPFing the windshield is a bad idea:

Rennteam - Registered - Joined Mar 28, 2019 - 90 Posts = #8 · Jul 25, 2019

"My PPF guy, he owns a Performante himself, recommends PPF on the windshield because the large windscreen is "prone" to damage according to him and there was once a 6 weeks waiting time for getting a new windscreen at my dealer. However: In Germany, PPF on the windscreen is legally forbidden. I called my insurance (the largest insurance company in Germany) and talked to the technical service and they told me that of course it would save them a lot of money for replaced windscreen (they are covered by insurance in Germany) if PPF would be legal on the windscreen but their own tests and many others have indicated serious issues (not only distortion) he couldn't or didn't want to elaborate in detail. So I ask myself: If PPF on the windscreen would save the insurances millions per year, why aren't they legal in Germany? There must be a technical reason."

Last edited by PurpleLion; 07-23-2021 at 12:35 AM.
Old 07-23-2021, 06:03 AM
Day11
Racer

Received 182 Likes on 89 Posts

Originally Posted by NextOne
At this point, I'd think someone has lost your order.
im with you on that. I just reached out to GM to check. You know how that usually goes.
I’m going to order a new one from my dealer instead of the one the shop used. I hope this one comes in soon. This has been ridiculous
Old 07-23-2021, 09:08 AM
Shodanusmc
Burning Brakes

Received 133 Likes on 91 Posts

Originally Posted by proeagles
Keep in mind this is a star like burst. The actual ding was probably the size of a pencil eraser or smaller. The only thing visible now is a small cloudy spot where the rock hit and you have to look hard to even see it from the outside. Sadly if you are a passenger, you can see easily because it is right in the sight line. I will probably replace the windshield at some point but I'm satisfied enough to live with it for now. I've lived in Louisiana for only 6 years and I've had 5 stone chips fixed in 5 different cars. I'm 72 years old and have had probably 8 windshield repairs in my whole life. I'm not anxious to spend a bunch of money on another windshield just yet as you never know when the next rock will hit your car in this damn state.
don't you have Comprehensive Insurance? You would only pay your deductible.
The following users liked this post:
msm859 (07-23-2021)
Old 07-23-2021, 11:18 PM
NextOne
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by Day11
im with you on that. I just reached out to GM to check. You know how that usually goes.
I’m going to order a new one from my dealer instead of the one the shop used. I hope this one comes in soon. This has been ridiculous
My windshield was replaced through the dealer due to horizontal scratches at delivery. Took about three weeks for it to come in back in March. Install was well done and no problems since.

Last edited by NextOne; 07-23-2021 at 11:18 PM.
Old 07-23-2021, 11:39 PM
NextOne
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by PurpleLion
Just the other day I heard the dreaded rock to windshield sound. That sound is unmistakable. I haven't actually looked for any damage, but I haven't seen anything either. Hopefully the angle of our windshields will help to minimize damage. Sucks when it happens. I don't have any PPF on my car as I don't think that it is worth the cost or potential paint damage during the install process. However, perhaps PPFing the windshield is a good idea.

Does anyone know how much damage protection a PPFed windshield provides?

Just found this on a Lambo forum. Maybe PPFing the windshield is a bad idea:

Rennteam - Registered - Joined Mar 28, 2019 - 90 Posts = #8 · Jul 25, 2019

"My PPF guy, he owns a Performante himself, recommends PPF on the windshield because the large windscreen is "prone" to damage according to him and there was once a 6 weeks waiting time for getting a new windscreen at my dealer. However: In Germany, PPF on the windscreen is legally forbidden. I called my insurance (the largest insurance company in Germany) and talked to the technical service and they told me that of course it would save them a lot of money for replaced windscreen (they are covered by insurance in Germany) if PPF would be legal on the windscreen but their own tests and many others have indicated serious issues (not only distortion) he couldn't or didn't want to elaborate in detail. So I ask myself: If PPF on the windscreen would save the insurances millions per year, why aren't they legal in Germany? There must be a technical reason."
PPF on the windshield doesn't make sense to me if my insurance will pay to replace the entire glass at no cost. But I do have PPF on the high-strike painted surfaces that insurance will not pay to repair.

Quick Reply: Windshield